GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 09:30
mbahopeful89 wrote:
119maple wrote:
tchankwes wrote:
Dinged at Cornell

Dinged without interview as well. My comment was that they were sloppy with their decision letter. The letter was addressed to a "Dear N/A" and my address was all in lowercase. Two dings thus far!

Come on Harvard and Tuck

That's crazy you got an interview at HBS but were dinged at Cornell without an interview. Do you remember what you ranked them on your app?

My first choice has always been Tuck and I applied to HBS on a whim after one of my friends was admitted with "lower" stats than I. I put effort into the HBS app but it wasn't my first choice. I had Johnson ranked last behind Tuck and Darden. My experience should illustrate to people that the MBA admissions process is tilted heavily to subjectivity as opposed to objectivity.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 10:44
I was dinged at Cornell with an interview
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Business Development (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 10:50
I thought the schools don't know how we rank 'em? LOL
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 11:43
kenneth143 wrote:

Haha They DEFINITELY know! An Adcom at UNC was more than open about it at an event I attended last fall.
Intern
Intern
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 11:52
CMH524 wrote:
kenneth143 wrote:

Haha They DEFINITELY know! An Adcom at UNC was more than open about it at an event I attended last fall.

dang...haha that explains a lot...thank you
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 11:59
kenneth143 wrote:
CMH524 wrote:
kenneth143 wrote:

dang...haha that explains a lot...thank you

I thought ranking only went into fellowship decisions... or do adcoms take it into account for admissions as well?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 12:18
ckirk12

I thought ranking only went into fellowship decisions... or do adcoms take it into account for admissions as well?[/quote]

I hate to beat a dead horse, but only adcoms know what they take into account for admissions. I was dinged by Johnson and not even concerned why....lol Could it have been because I ranked Johnson last? Could it have been because they didn't like my essays? No me importa!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 12:41
Well... I got waitlisted by Johnson and they were #1 on my list. That's probably gonna hurt my fellowship chances since my #2 hasn't answered either.

I hate the wait and the ranking system!! LOL
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 12:55
I think it depends on the school but it's hard to imagine that the ranking doesn't have at least a small effect on how they think you feel about the school. Although I got into all of my Consortium schools, through interactions with my #3 post-admit, I could sense they weren't thrilled about their ranking. I've also heard through friends that some schools (e.g. Ross) are pretty candid about wanting to be ranked #1.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 13:51
CMH524 wrote:
I think it depends on the school but it's hard to imagine that the ranking doesn't have at least a small effect on how they think you feel about the school. Although I got into all of my Consortium schools, through interactions with my #3 post-admit, I could sense they weren't thrilled about their ranking. I've also heard through friends that some schools (e.g. Ross) are pretty candid about wanting to be ranked #1.

This information is gold. My bro in law advised my wife and I the same, since he went thru this process 3 years ago before finally matriculating at Harvard. The way you rank the schools count; and YES Ross loves it when you rank them 1st and are more willing to give free money than any other schools...i got dinged by Cornell...well they were last in my list anyway ... oh well
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '18 (M)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 16:31
Anyone know what the deal is with UCLA?? Haven't heard much about them on the thread. Have they handed out most interview invites (for round2 consortium)? Still in the process???
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 17:49
GradSchoolHereICome wrote:
Anyone know what the deal is with UCLA?? Haven't heard much about them on the thread. Have they handed out most interview invites (for round2 consortium)? Still in the process???

Naw, i haven't heard anything from UCLA either. I mean, I recently received something from Berkeley, so hopefully UCLA will reach out over the next few days.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 18:17
tchankwes wrote:
CMH524 wrote:

This information is gold. My bro in law advised my wife and I the same, since he went thru this process 3 years ago before finally matriculating at Harvard. The way you rank the schools count; and YES Ross loves it when you rank them 1st and are more willing to give free money than any other schools...i got dinged by Cornell...well they were last in my list anyway ... oh well

Can they see the other schools and what they were ranked or can they only see their own ranking?
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 19:21
DoorDelano wrote:
tchankwes wrote:
CMH524 wrote:

Can they see the other schools and what they were ranked or can they only see their own ranking?

They can see your entire consortium application. So yes, they see the other schools ranking.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 21:00
I think that most schools don't put too much emphasis on your rankings, at least to the point where it is the difference between acceptance or denial. If you think about it, it would not really be a smart idea for schools to operate this way- the app process is so subjective not many applicants are going to be guaranteed an acceptance to all the schools that they applied to. If Adcoms are rejecting an applicant based solely on the ranking they could be losing a great candidate who didn't get into the schools ahead of them in the rankings. Now, I do think its important you stress why you chose to apply to a school that may be your 5th or 6th choice. Perhaps, if you have a school #6 AND also fail to deliver compelling reasons as to your interest in the school through your essays, a ding based on the ranking could make sense; although at that point its as much about your essay as your ranking. My personal experience, rankings don't matter at all for your admissions decision. I haven't received an invite yet from my top 2 ranked schools, but have received invites to the next 4. In fact, I have received interview invites in the reverse order of my school rankings. Johnson was 4th on the rankings, and they invited me to their LEAD event and were the first to offer me admission- with a merit scholarship. Ironically, after visiting some campuses and doing interviews, I would definitely change my rankings and put Johnson #1 (although I still haven't been to Darden yet, so they could end up topping Johnson). Perhaps the rankings actually pushed Johnson to pursue me harder, by giving me a quick decision and an offer of some guaranteed money should I not receive a Consortium fellowship.

None of this is to say that the way CGSM is doing the rankings is efficient. I really hate that I can't go and edit my rankings at all. Coming from El Paso, and working in the Army, I had 0 time to go visit any of these campuses for information sessions and get a real on the ground feel for the culture of the places before I applied. I knew this, and did as much cursory research as I could through the internet and reaching out to current students. In the end, though, without having seen the campuses, it still felt like I was ranking without knowing what my true top schools were. If I were to revise my rankings, only Tuck at #2 and my #6 safety school, from which I've already withdrawn my application, would not change its place. My #1, SOM, would be #5 now. I would love if the CGSM could get the schools to send decisions by March 1, 1-2 weeks before the draft, giving candidates a 7-10 day window or so to actually make their rankings based off of where they get in and where they actually feel is the best place for them to go if money is no object. This would mean that no school has any idea what you've ranked them, and would also allow students to assemble a much more complete ranking of their schools.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 10:11
Wonderful discussion on rankings. gbout3, I really agree with your thoughts on the Consortium rankings and, one day, they may be more efficient for future candidates.

Somewhat off-topic - I was looking at the "Draft Day" last year, which was March 10, and was curious to know what the draft day will be this year. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 11:43
Chase18 wrote:
Wonderful discussion on rankings. gbout3, I really agree with your thoughts on the Consortium rankings and, one day, they may be more efficient for future candidates.

Somewhat off-topic - I was looking at the "Draft Day" last year, which was March 10, and was curious to know what the draft day will be this year. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Awhile back they tweeted that the fellowship selection draft is March 8.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 11:58
CMH524 wrote:
Chase18 wrote:

Awhile back they tweeted that the fellowship selection draft is March 8.

:thanks Second Tuesday in March again. That's exciting! Right around the corner...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 12:18
Round 2 applicants: have you heard from haas or emory.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 12:22
nicholasbentham wrote:
Round 2 applicants: have you heard from haas or emory.

Haas yes...but nothing from Emory...as they will announce decision on March 3rd...it doesn't look good lol
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2016, 12:22

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap