GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 18:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Other)
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 16:39
nicholasbentham wrote:
Round 2 applicants: have you heard from haas or emory.

Haven't heard from Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, or NYU Stern... :(
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 16:43
rmilo12648 wrote:
nicholasbentham wrote:

I feel your pain, I haven't heard for HAAS, or UCLA either, didn't apply to Stern..... there's still time and hope :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 15:51
rh1012 wrote:
rmilo12648 wrote:
nicholasbentham wrote:

I feel your pain, I haven't heard for HAAS, or UCLA either, didn't apply to Stern..... there's still time and hope :)

Well, chances are if you haven't heard from them, it's probably the end of the road for you...s for myself. i was just attending the Booth live event, and there were a couple of minority students behind me talking about going to most of their consortium schools next week for interviews, which would mean they got the invites at least a couple of weeks ago. I might be wrong, but from what i heard, i'm not waiting for a miracle anymore (btw, i got dinged by Cornell last week)
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.86
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 12:08
Got my invite to Darden while I was at Booth Live.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 17:14
Nai222 wrote:
Got my invite to Darden while I was at Booth Live.

via email or phone call?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 10:42
What if scenario... What would you guys do if you got accepted to your first choice school, but got offered fellowship by another say 2nd 3rd choice, or for that matter a non-consortium school.

I myself am wondering, is it worth going to Tuck, get a aprox. 200k loan (I have no significant savings for living expenses, etc) or go to a lower tier school on a full scholarship...

Cheers!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 10:46
nachobioteck wrote:
What if scenario... What would you guys do if you got accepted to your first choice school, but got offered fellowship by another say 2nd 3rd choice, or for that matter a non-consortium school.

I myself am wondering, is it worth going to Tuck, get a aprox. 200k loan (I have no significant savings for living expenses, etc) or go to a lower tier school on a full scholarship...

Cheers!

Too many variables at play....namely what are the other schools?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 10:50
I think someone asked about this before but I was reading on P&Q "The Tuck MBA Gatekeeper" and Dawna Clarke spoke about how those that take advantage of the open interview had a higher admit rate than those that were invited to interview. She also spoke about reapplicants and if they heeded the advice from the feedback calls that is looked upon favorably.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:08
I'd personally take the lower ranked school with money because that amount of debt scares me!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:09
I'd personally take the lower ranked school with money because that amount of debt scares me!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.11
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:13
nachobioteck wrote:

Cheers!

I think in this situation you need to do a self-assessment of why you want an MBA and where you want to be.

If you are aiming for one of the Big 5 and believe your salary within your first 5 years out of school will be sufficient to live on and pay for some of this loan then maybe. If you want an MBA for the technical knowledge, gateway degree to consulting, increase salary, and a career then I will say go for the full ride. We all know not all MBAs are the same but if you are not looking to break into exclusive circles that only wants to cater to big names then why put yourself in debt.

Personally, I prefer debt free. I thought had about such scenario happening while applying.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:21
119maple wrote:
nachobioteck wrote:

Cheers!

I'm applying to Tuck, Kelley, Tepper and Madison. I'm pretty sure I'd take scholarship over debt. I don't really have any sort of safety net besides myself, so the idea of having a loan that big really scares me. I guess I am interested in other people's thought process as to how they would decide...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:39
119maple wrote:
I think someone asked about this before but I was reading on P&Q "The Tuck MBA Gatekeeper" and Dawna Clarke spoke about how those that take advantage of the open interview had a higher admit rate than those that were invited to interview. She also spoke about reapplicants and if they heeded the advice from the feedback calls that is looked upon favorably.

From what I read in the article, it mentions that admit rate is higher for open interviews than it is for the general applicant pool. But I still would expect that if you take advantage of the open interview, it shows more initiative and would certainly help. I was invited to interview but did not do the open interview, so I think I may have to work harder to portray my interest. My interview is Thursday. I would love to be able to go to Tuck.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:45
nachobioteck wrote:
119maple wrote:
nachobioteck wrote:

Cheers!

I'm applying to Tuck, Kelley, Tepper and Madison. I'm pretty sure I'd take scholarship over debt. I don't really have any sort of safety net besides myself, so the idea of having a loan that big really scares me. I guess I am interested in other people's thought process as to how they would decide...

I'm been thinking about this a lot lately. It is a lot to think about. My end goal is real estate private equity. I talked to my friend who works at a big real estate PE shop. He said "Go to the best school possible, you'll make enough in your bonuses to cover the additional cost." While that may be true, it is still a lot to think about. But if I got into a top 5 program and a school say at number 20 gave me a full ride. Honestly, I would probably go to the top 5 school. Its hard to know until I have everything in front of me though.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 12:33
That's an interesting question. I'm sure we will all be facing this issue shortly. For those shooting for top 5, only a handful receive full academic scholarships, while the majority are paying for their education with loans. I'm not sure what I would do. For banking jobs, particularly IB the base pay is the same whether you attend HBS or attend Darden. Banking is all about networking so going to Darden vs HBS will not affect your route to ED or MD especially since then it will be about the amount of deals you pull in.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 15:56
nachobioteck wrote:

Cheers!

I agree with a comment above that it would depend on the end goal. For example, if you wanted to be a management consultant at MBB, then Tuck is the easy choice because your chances of reaching that goal at Tuck are much higher. If the end goal seemed to be common through the other school through their employment reports and the alumni network, then possibly go with the other school.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 16:05
At the end of the day it's about fit. Go to the best school that can get you the job that you want. If that school offers you the most money then great, if not be prepared to be on #teamloans. I hope that you all apply for MLT's Professional Development program so that you can enter B school with an offer in hand.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 17:04
Are you not allowed to prematurely (before the draft) withdraw from your number #1 pick? If you withdraw don't see why it can't cascade to your number #2 if they want you enough. I know it's all done on a single app but if you write to admissions that you want to withdraw then I don't see why they wouldn't oblige. I feel that they would be grateful so they can offer it to someone who really wants it.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 17:10
119maple wrote:

We need a link for this because it seems so whacky. If you invite somebody to an interview then that means the school has a great level of interest. I doubt they would waste the applicant's and their own time to send invites and interview a group of people only to turn a lot of them away.

I can see those that self selected having a higher admit rate than the whole applicant pool, but seems strange that it would be higher than those invited to an interview.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 17:57
DoorDelano wrote:
119maple wrote:

We need a link for this because it seems so whacky. If you invite somebody to an interview then that means the school has a great level of interest. I doubt they would waste the applicant's and their own time to send invites and interview a group of people only to turn a lot of them away.

I can see those that self selected having a higher admit rate than the whole applicant pool, but seems strange that it would be higher than those invited to an interview.

Here is the link I think: http://poetsandquants.com/2013/08/17/th ... usiness/3/

Its on page 3 and you may need an P&Q account to access it. She says that people who do the open interview have a better acceptance rate than the applicant pool but she doesn't mention open interview acceptance rate vs invited interview acceptance rates so I would not stress over it.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2016, 17:57

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap