GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 19:28
Can some explain the whole consortium draft with respect to your #1 school to the #6 school?
Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 22:00
Just joined GMAT club. Weird to see the different experiences of the whole process.

I have already interview at Georgetown and UCLA, but I haven't heard anything from Haas.. thinking there's no hope left for my Haas application
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 02:37
nachobioteck wrote:
119maple wrote:
nachobioteck wrote:
What if scenario... What would you guys do if you got accepted to your first choice school, but got offered fellowship by another say 2nd 3rd choice, or for that matter a non-consortium school.

I myself am wondering, is it worth going to Tuck, get a aprox. 200k loan (I have no significant savings for living expenses, etc) or go to a lower tier school on a full scholarship...

Cheers!

Too many variables at play....namely what are the other schools?

I'm applying to Tuck, Kelley, Tepper and Madison. I'm pretty sure I'd take scholarship over debt. I don't really have any sort of safety net besides myself, so the idea of having a loan that big really scares me. I guess I am interested in other people's thought process as to how they would decide...

Gotta depend on your personal goals. I would take a spot at Tuck over any of the schools you mentioned regardless of $$... Then again, I chose not to apply to any of the other schools you mentioned besides Tuck because I didn't see them as being best for me and my personal goals :0 I thought Tepper was too quant and STEM heavy for someone with my background (history major, minimal quant background) to really excel there, and I didn't even really look into Kelley or Madison because I wanted to be in the South or on the East Coast both for school and after graduation. Regardless, the decision has to be based on your personal goals. I withdrew my application from McDonough because I knew once I got into Johnson that even with a full ride offer from McDonough I wouldn't choose them over Johnson (or Darden, or McCombs, the other two schools I've interviewed with so far). This was mainly due to my career interests vs. McDonough's career placement strengths, which I see as laying in Investment banking and public sector/federal consulting, neither of which are a career track I am interested in pursuing. Could I have successfully broken into MBB, Deloitte S&O, or another consulting outfit offering me a strategy role in a generalist track at McDonough? Of course I could, but it would be a lot harder to do so. At Johnson/Darden/McCombs, recruiting is much easier for both Consulting and Tech, the two industries I am most interested in for both short and long term career paths. Plus, all 3 are consistently recognized and ranked as much stronger programs than McDonough. To me, that makes it worth the money. Of course, I am still left with the dilemma of choosing between Johnson and Darden/McCombs, should I get into both of those schools as well :0
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 02:43
yemitoye wrote:
Can some explain the whole consortium draft with respect to your #1 school to the #6 school?
Thanks

#1 school gets to draft you
If they say no

#2 school gets to draft you
If they say no

#3 school gets to draft you
If they say no

#4 school gets to draft you
If they say no

#5 school gets to draft you
If they say no

#6 school gets to draft you
If they say no

no fellowship for you!! but you can still be a member

If any one of your 6 schools say yes, then it immediately stops this chain. In other words, just like in the NFL, you cannot be drafted by more than one team. Unless you are Eli Manning and you cry to your agent about playing in San Diego. I guess the equivalent to that would be waiting until next year to do the draft again?
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 07:12
DoorDelano wrote:
Are you not allowed to prematurely (before the draft) withdraw from your number #1 pick? If you withdraw don't see why it can't cascade to your number #2 if they want you enough. I know it's all done on a single app but if you write to admissions that you want to withdraw then I don't see why they wouldn't oblige. I feel that they would be grateful so they can offer it to someone who really wants it.

I don't think this would be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 09:14
DoorDelano wrote:
Are you not allowed to prematurely (before the draft) withdraw from your number #1 pick? If you withdraw don't see why it can't cascade to your number #2 if they want you enough. I know it's all done on a single app but if you write to admissions that you want to withdraw then I don't see why they wouldn't oblige. I feel that they would be grateful so they can offer it to someone who really wants it.

I just don't see this playing out pragmatically. Can you imagine many consortium applicants writing schools asking to withdraw their rankings and then having the schools coordinate all of this back to the Consortium. Schools already have enough to coordinate and I actually think it could have a negative impact on an applicant asking to withdraw their ranking. It is is one thing to initially rank a school a certain way but then to ask for a withdrawal could pose negative consequences. Schools do have egos! The reality is we know the process before we rank the schools and we just have to stick with it. That's life.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 09:20
119maple wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:

I just don't see this playing out pragmatically. Can you imagine many consortium applicants writing schools asking to withdraw their rankings and then having the schools coordinate all of this back to the Consortium. Schools already have enough to coordinate and I actually think it could have a negative impact on an applicant asking to withdraw their ranking. It is is one thing to initially rank a school a certain way but then to ask for a withdrawal could pose negative consequences. Schools do have egos! The reality is we know the process before we rank the schools and we just have to stick with it. That's life.

I may be wrong but I think what OP was referring to was withdrawing from School A after you ranked it ahead of School B. Your views of the schools have changed in the time since you applied and now you would rather end up at B. Withdrawing from A would mean that if B wants to give you the Consortium fellowship the issue of A having first dibs is no longer an issue.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 09:34
AnthonyMason wrote:
119maple wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:

I may be wrong but I think what OP was referring to was withdrawing from School A after you ranked it ahead of School B. Your views of the schools have changed in the time since you applied and now you would rather end up at B. Withdrawing from A would mean that if B wants to give you the Consortium fellowship the issue of A having first dibs is no longer an issue.

I understood what DoorDelano wrote: rank change after the fact. Isn't part of the MBA process researching and knowing where you want to go? Why MBA? The consortium was explicit with me and stated that I should rank my number one school choice 1st. I've already stated one reason as to why rank changes aren't practical. Of note......admissions and fellowship are two different decisions.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 09:42
There are plenty of reasons why rankings might change after submission. For example: life changes (especially where an applicant has a partner) or simply being able to visit a campus you couldn't previously afford to visit and thus gaining a different impression of the culture. This idea that just because you've researched schools and feel a certain way on your application date that must be how you feel forever doesn't hold up. The vast majority of MBA applicants don't apply through the Consortium and as the various "Which school should I choose" discussions across the Internet show...it's a fluid process for many.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 10:00
119maple wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
119maple wrote:

I understood what DoorDelano wrote: rank change after the fact. Isn't part of the MBA process researching and knowing where you want to go? Why MBA? The consortium was explicit with me and stated that I should rank my number one school choice 1st. I've already stated one reason as to why rank changes aren't practical. Of note......admissions and fellowship are two different decisions.

I think DoorDelano meant withdraw from the school's application process completely, not change rank.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 10:14
I don't think it would have a negative impact. But it is risky from a money point of view. In a way I think is good to withdraw if you are not interested in the school, even if they offer you a scholarship, because you open that spot for other people. Let's say I really want to go to University A and they pass on me in the draft, and someone else got the fellowship but did not enroll, I would be very upset just thinking that fellowship could have been mine. Withdrawing your application (the way I see it) would only mean that you just don't get selected in your first round, and should not affect your lower ranked school decisions....

Just my grain of salt.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 10:32
nachobioteck wrote:
I don't think it would have a negative impact. But it is risky from a money point of view. In a way I think is good to withdraw if you are not interested in the school, even if they offer you a scholarship, because you open that spot for other people. Let's say I really want to go to University A and they pass on me in the draft, and someone else got the fellowship but did not enroll, I would be very upset just thinking that fellowship could have been mine. Withdrawing your application (the way I see it) would only mean that you just don't get selected in your first round, and should not affect your lower ranked school decisions....

Just my grain of salt.

These are my thoughts exactly, although the scenario that someone else got the fellowship and did not enroll seems common based on the Consortium's annual numbers. In 2015, 369 Fellowships offered and only 235 students accepting them (2015 annual report). Although, nearly 60% of accepted Consortium applicant's were offered a Fellowship, so that's exciting! :) Draft is two weeks from today!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 12:33
Well... At least we can agree that being accepted at your dream school and having a full ride from other schools is a good problem to have. I know that I am going to the school that gives me the most money (if I get accepted). I do have to admit that people can change their minds after applying. So it would be nice if we could choose the rankings after a formal interview.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 12:39
gmatdreamer12 wrote:
Well... At least we can agree that being accepted at your dream school and having a full ride from other schools is a good problem to have. I know that I am going to the school that gives me the most money (if I get accepted). I do have to admit that people can change their minds after applying. So it would be nice if we could choose the rankings after a formal interview.

I second this. And I'm thinking we should have some sort of meeting at OP to address this, I think that us as students and future alumni should have a say and should express our views on the ranking issue.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.86
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 12:42
Chase did Goizueta offer you the fellowship?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 12:44
AnthonyMason wrote:
119maple wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:

Yes, AnthonyMason that is what I meant.

Also, I think a lot of people are overreacting about hurting the adcom's feelings. I bet the admissions committee could care less if you withdraw since they have 1904783247 well qualified candidates vying for a chance to go to their school. They are so swamped with applications that I doubt they would care less about the dynamics of your ranking and suspect anything nefarious.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 12:50
Nai222 wrote:
Chase did Goizueta offer you the fellowship?

They did not - I believe they have the option to offer the Fellowship if you rank them #1, but they were my #2 on the ranking. They did however offer me a considerable scholarship, with their admission decision, in case I am not offered the Fellowship in a couple weeks.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 12:54
Awesome!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 12:55
I will have to wait and see if Tuck offers me the fellowship since I ranked the school #1.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 13:01
Also the whole withdrawing strategy is only my 2 cents. I actually love my #1 and really want to get accepted there and get the fellowship! :D

Also I had an amazing interview and at the end the interviewer gave me her business card and she is already having me network with current students by giving me several email addresses. Any other people get the same treatment and not get admitted? Hope that's a good sign! :D If I don't get in after all this attention I'll be devastated lol
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2016, 13:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap