GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Apr 2019, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 08:14
nachobioteck wrote:
DoorDelano wrote:
Nai222 wrote:
It happens all the time. There are no guarantees. You can kill your interview and still get rejected or waitlisted. I think folks just need to remain humble and continue to learn about their target MBA programs.

Posted from my mobile device

If this happens I'll devour a gallon of ice cream, party in Vegas unleashing a wave of promiscuity and binge on netflix while in a bed cocoon. What's worse - going through this whole process again or going to a school you are meh about? :shock:

I am not going through this process again... no freaking way! Done! Listo, no mas! I got accepted into one so far, may not be my first choice but put it in there because I really really really need to get out of my job like right now! If its my first choice it is... hahaha... Heck I rather go to get my MBA at Kaplan University than going through the process again :? :?

This is so important. So what if you do not attend your first choice as you would still be going to a great school, and if you resonate with a school and they like you enough to admit you and give you money then that is compelling. Every school needs great, amazing and diverse candidates. If you were dinged by your first choice then forget them and, hopefully, go to another great school that admits you.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 08:39
Nai222 wrote:
That's an interesting question. I'm sure we will all be facing this issue shortly. For those shooting for top 5, only a handful receive full academic scholarships, while the majority are paying for their education with loans. I'm not sure what I would do. For banking jobs, particularly IB the base pay is the same whether you attend HBS or attend Darden. Banking is all about networking so going to Darden vs HBS will not affect your route to ED or MD especially since then it will be about the amount of deals you pull in.

Another good point. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people do not care about the MBA. Yes, it matters to us now, but there are plenty of MDs now and in the future who did not feel the need to do the MBA. Also, once you are on your job a lot of what happens is on you. When I look around me at my firm where people are very well paid some went to top schools and others did not. Some went for the MBA and others did not. Never underestimate the connections you make on the job and just plain old luck.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 08:40
Chase18 wrote:
gbout3 wrote:
Goillini13 wrote:
Future consortium applicant here...

Concerning your #1 school being able to offer you a fellowship before the draft, any idea on what the breakdown is of schools that offer a consortium fellowship to their applicants who rank them #1 with admission versus offering them after the draft? Basically I am asking whether schools tend to offer most of their fellowships upon admission versus after draft day. It would seem that offering sooner rather than later would make the chances of getting that applicant higher.

Could be wrong, but my impression was that no consortium offers were extended before the draft, regardless of what your ranking is. Schools can, and do, offer consortium applicants their internal merit scholarships/fellowships.

This is incorrect. Schools can offer Consortium applicants the Consortium Fellowship prior to draft day.

I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that schools can offer you their own fellowships/scholarships prior to draft (even full-tuition fellowships), but the Consortium Fellowship is decided on draft day. That's the point of the draft, after all.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 09:11
Izzy767 wrote:
Chase18 wrote:
gbout3 wrote:

Could be wrong, but my impression was that no consortium offers were extended before the draft, regardless of what your ranking is. Schools can, and do, offer consortium applicants their internal merit scholarships/fellowships.

This is incorrect. Schools can offer Consortium applicants the Consortium Fellowship prior to draft day.

I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that schools can offer you their own fellowships/scholarships prior to draft (even full-tuition fellowships), but the Consortium Fellowship is decided on draft day. That's the point of the draft, after all.

This is my understanding as well. However, I have seen a few people posting that when they were called and notified of their acceptance (to their #1 ranked program) the school indicated that they would be offered the CGSM fellowship.

If this is true than it would logically suggest that some schools will determine their "1st round" fellowship candidates from the pool of accepted applicants that ranked them first. However, the actual awarding of fellowships (as well as the decisions for the remaining pool of accepted applicants who did not rank the school 1st) wont take place until draft day.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 09:12
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you log-in to your Consortium application and select "Application Instructions", they provide some clarity to the process. Here is the paragraph that explains it:

Fellowships are determined through a holistic review of the overall merit of the applicant. Fellowship decisions are made solely by the admissions and scholarship committees at each of the member schools. Fellowship decisions are communicated by The Consortium; some will be communicated in late December and a majority will be communicated in mid-March. Additional details regarding your fellowship will follow from the school. All fellowship decisions are final. You will be required to accept or decline your fellowship offer by April 15.

If you were an R1 candidate and you got in to your top-ranked school, that #1 ranked school has the opportunity to extend the Consortium Fellowship on their Decision day in late December. I know a few people who received this invitation, including a few on this forum I believe. As mentioned, the majority of the fellowships will be communicated sometime in March. Looking at past years, some schools will give reach out on Draft Day itself (March 8) and others will wait until later.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 09:14
Chase18 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you log-in to your Consortium application and select "Application Instructions", they provide some clarity to the process. Here is the paragraph that explains it:

Fellowships are determined through a holistic review of the overall merit of the applicant. Fellowship decisions are made solely by the admissions and scholarship committees at each of the member schools. Fellowship decisions are communicated by The Consortium; some will be communicated in late December and a majority will be communicated in mid-March. Additional details regarding your fellowship will follow from the school. All fellowship decisions are final. You will be required to accept or decline your fellowship offer by April 15.

If you were an R1 candidate and you got in to your top-ranked school, that #1 ranked school has the opportunity to extend the Consortium Fellowship on their Decision day in late December. I know a few people who received this invitation, including a few on this forum I believe. As mentioned, the majority of the fellowships will be communicated sometime in March. Looking at past years, some schools will give reach out on Draft Day itself (March 8) and others will wait until later.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.

It does, thank you!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 10:02
Out of curiosity, what kind of responses are people getting after they send their interviewer thank you notes? Something pretty generic or responses that are thoughtful and specific to the conversation you had?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 10:05
Izzy767 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what kind of responses are people getting after they send their interviewer thank you notes? Something pretty generic or responses that are thoughtful and specific to the conversation you had?

I received fairly generic responses for each of my thank you notes.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 10:33
Chase18 wrote:
Izzy767 wrote:

I didn't receive any responses... and so far interviews have seemed successful haha
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 10:58
Izzy767 wrote:

Tuck interviewer said "thanks for coming and glad you were able to get a little taste of this place called Tuck." Darden received no response back. HBS provided a very generic response back. I liked Tuck's the best.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 11:31
Izzy767 wrote:

Kelley was just a generic thank you and good luck
Tuck, thank you and I'm glad you liked it here.
Tepper, thank you and a little more specific about the email I had sent.
Madison, they wrote a thank you to me first! and gave me a couple of resources to what I was looking for.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 12:47
Kelley - no reply
Goizueta - hope to see you as a Goizueta student soon
Mendoza - very generic

I really have no clue what to think about each one haha

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.64
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 13:03
Chase18 wrote:
Izzy767 wrote:

Darden- No Response
McCombs- No Response
Johnson- Thoughtful and specific response
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 13:11
gbout3 wrote:
Chase18 wrote:
Izzy767 wrote:

Darden- No Response
McCombs- No Response
Johnson- Thoughtful and specific response

Some schools have very strict policies about not responding so don't read too much into it. When candidates thank me after an interview I generally never respond unless they have some specific question so that it is kind of the norm I think.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 13:35
Just to be super clear. Admits from R1 who got the Consortium fellowship received not only the acceptance to their MBA program and the offer (which in the case for Tuck is written in the acceptance letter), but also the Consortium sends you a different letter congratulating you on the fellowship and a questionnaire asking you if you will accept it. This draft business is only for either people who were deferred from R1 or something was off and R2 candidates.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 13:50
sudaca2015 wrote:
Just to be super clear. Admits from R1 who got the Consortium fellowship received not only the acceptance to their MBA program and the offer (which in the case for Tuck is written in the acceptance letter), but also the Consortium sends you a different letter congratulating you on the fellowship and a questionnaire asking you if you will accept it. This draft business is only for either people who were deferred from R1 or something was off and R2 candidates.

The draft is for everyone in R2 and a huge majority of R1 who either did not get into their top ranked school or their top ranked school decided not to offer them the Fellowship early.
Intern
Intern
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Feb 2016, 14:19
Anyone receiving interview invites this late? Or heard of any?

I got a Haas invite today, but still no word from Darden, Yale, Tuck, Stern, and Ross. I am assuming the 5 are no-invite dings.

Any insight?

Originally posted by PushingFwd1 on 25 Feb 2016, 14:11.
Last edited by PushingFwd1 on 25 Feb 2016, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 14:17
PushingFwd1 wrote:

I got a Haas invite today, but still no word from Darden, Yale, Tuck, Stern, and Ross. I am assuming the 5 are no-invite sings.

Any insight?

Don't lose hope! I was reading last year thread and Darden was inviting people up until March 7th or so!,... they were expecting you to get there in like a 3 day notice, so be prepared to spend some cash on that trip if you are far away...
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 14:31
Has anyone heard of a student who got fellowship from their #3 or #4 school??
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 15:21
PushingFwd1 wrote:

I got a Haas invite today, but still no word from Darden, Yale, Tuck, Stern, and Ross. I am assuming the 5 are no-invite dings.

Any insight?

It's my understanding that Ross had a Consortium interview weekend a few weeks ago. A few of my friends attended.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2016, 15:21

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap