GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 09:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 12:10
nachobioteck wrote:
On that note... Does anyone know if the consortium arranges the travel? Do we pay our stay for the whole week? I somewhere heard that they would cover at least part of the expenses to attend...

This is from the 2013 thread. I was randomly looking at it yesterday:

Re: our costs associated with OP, this is from last year's thread, details taken from the booklet that's being snail-mailed to us. Hope this holds true for this year.

-Flight to OP is covered up to $300 (you pay for any amount over $300)
-you have to pay enrollment deposit to your consortium school and that also registers you for OP
-OP lodging, registration & meals are covered you will have a same gender roommate
-transport to & from airport not covered
-OP is mandatory
-fellowship will be renewed for 2nd year unless not in good academic standing
-Acceptance of fellowship & rules must be signed & returned by April 15th
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 12:18
I wonder what that will mean if I am not able to attend. I'm currently a teacher through Teach for America and June 6-8 are my last days of school. There is no chance that I will miss my last three days of my teaching placement (and no chance I would get it approved even if I wanted to). I'll have to call them if I'm admitted and work it out.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.86
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 13:21
OP is June 3rd to the 8th this year. It actually conflicts with MLT's Professional Development Program. Is anyone here applying to Toigo?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 13:29
Nai222 wrote:
OP is June 3rd to the 8th this year. It actually conflicts with MLT's Professional Development Program. Is anyone here applying to Toigo?

I'm applying to Toigo and was also going to apply to MLT PD. Interesting that there's a conflict with OP...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 13:31
There is a conflict with CTLS (MLT PD) since it occurs during Memorial Day week, so MLT is allowing its fellows to leave on Friday to attend OP.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 13:49
Hi - would you mind explaining why the Toigo fellowship is so prestigious? I had never heard of it until last week. It seems insane that you need to pay for the application and pay to attend a week long event to get a small fellowship. Would love some insight. Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Mar 2016, 14:01
What makes Toigo prestigious is the network. I was just talking with a Booth alum at my firm who works in Equity Research and he was urging me to submit my Toigo app. He credits his connects at Toigo with landing his full time offers. Even the Darden folks kept telling me to apply to Toigo. Toigo is the go to for excellent minority candidates for finance roles (IB, IM, AM, PWM, Corp Fin, etc). I got an email a day ago about Barclay's MBA Ambition program so it's a valuable network.

Originally posted by Nai222 on 01 Mar 2016, 13:53.
Last edited by Nai222 on 01 Mar 2016, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:01
Nai222 wrote:
What makes Toigo prestigious is the network. I was just talking with a Booth alum at my form who works in Equity Researcj and he was urging mt to submit my Toigo app. He credits his connects at Toigo with landing his full time offers. Even the Darden folks kept telling me to apply to Toigo. Toigo is the go to for excellent minority candidates for finance roles (IB, IM, AM, PWM, Corp Fin, etc). I got an email a day ago about Barclay's MBA Ambition program so it's a valuable network.

I'm also applying to Toigo. My mentor urged me to apply as well.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:02
Nai222 wrote:
What makes Toigo prestigious is the network. I was just talking with a Booth alum at my form who works in Equity Researcj and he was urging mt to submit my Toigo app. He credits his connects at Toigo with landing his full time offers. Even the Darden folks kept telling me to apply to Toigo. Toigo is the go to for excellent minority candidates for finance roles (IB, IM, AM, PWM, Corp Fin, etc). I got an email a day ago about Barclay's MBA Ambition program so it's a valuable network.

I agree. I have friends who are currently in it, as well as friends who have gone through it, and they all say that its network is extremely helpful. Also, the MBA Catapult event in May allows the recently admitted students to engage in high-level networking and some people come out with pre-MBA internships just from that event.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:07
MLT PD, Toigo, MBA Jump Start, and OP are all opportunities to attain an internship before b school. I know folks that have done it all but I will only be participating in a few. Folks are loving the banking fellowships because they give you 20-45k upfront for school. PD has CTLS where you interview with MLT corporate sponsors for internships. About 88% of PD fellows receive an offer for a summer internship. My MBAP friends have told me to try my best to secure a few internships before b school. Technically you don't have to decide for some companies until December after you have done on campus recruiting.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:08
MLetty wrote:
Hi - would you mind explaining why the Toigo fellowship is so prestigious? I had never heard of it until last week. It seems insane that you need to pay for the application and pay to attend a week long event to get a small fellowship. Would love some insight. Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

Toigo connects you with mentors in finance, which can be helpful. The catch is that you have to be fairly certain you will do finance because they require your internship be in that field. I am undecided about applying because I might get inspired by some other field and change direction. Also, two of my mentors are Toigo so I feel as though I would not be losing too, too much by not applying.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 14:16
I've been accepted to Toigo's Catapult and I will be applying to MLT PD once I get an official acceptance. Can't wait!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 17:06
Nai222 wrote:
MLT PD, Toigo, MBA Jump Start, and OP are all opportunities to attain an internship before b school. I know folks that have done it all but I will only be participating in a few. Folks are loving the banking fellowships because they give you 20-45k upfront for school. PD has CTLS where you interview with MLT corporate sponsors for internships. About 88% of PD fellows receive an offer for a summer internship. My MBAP friends have told me to try my best to secure a few internships before b school. Technically you don't have to decide for some companies until December after you have done on campus recruiting.

Thanks for that! As an industry switcher looking to get into consulting - I've been looking for possible pre-MBA programs. I was planning on applying to MLT PD, but I didn't know about MBA Jump Start. Definitely going to look into it now!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 19:09
I randomly received an email from Duke today from one of their Admissions Directors telling me to apply for the MLT MBA Professional Development Program. It went to my spam folder so I assume it's just a mass email sent to minority applicants. Did anyone else who applied to Duke get this email?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 21:13
gmatdreamer12 wrote:
nicholasbentham wrote:
Anyone heard back from Haas or Emory?

Emory should start calling between today all the way through Thursday. Good Luck!

So i am guessing that if we didnt get an interview invite then its a ding?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Business Development (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 23:13
nicholasbentham wrote:
gmatdreamer12 wrote:
nicholasbentham wrote:
Anyone heard back from Haas or Emory?

Emory should start calling between today all the way through Thursday. Good Luck!

So i am guessing that if we didnt get an interview invite then its a ding?

It could mean a WaitList. But don't sweat it, i have seen people who got rejected by Rice but got admitted to HBS.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 23:56
With decisions looming I see that many people on here are really tormenting themselves about "if this then that" or questions in the arena of "what are my chances." I took the post below from the HBS thread because I think it concisely and beautifully speaks about the MBA admissions process. It's specific to HBS and the interview invite but easily applies to all top schools and the admit decision as well.

""To tie this to a sports analogy, getting into Harvard is like winning a medal in the Olympic 100m final. There are three medals and 8, highly accomplished athletes fighting for it, all of whom have the potential to win. A 750+ GMAT McKinsey consultant/ibanker/etc. who wrote solid essays is like a person with a best time of something like 9.85 seconds. That is an amazing time and that person has the potential to win, but winning is far from a certainty. You have to be the best on the day that counts. For example, maybe your application was reviewed at the end of the day by a tired, grumpy adcom. Had you been reviewed in the morning, you would have made it through.
But those are the breaks.

Even the person who is clearly the best doesn't always win a medal (i.e. Usain Bolt did not win a medal in the 2011 World Championships). People have off days. Other people are like Tim Montgomery - less talented, but they still can win because they use steroids (i.e. kids whose parents are alumni / CEOs of fortune 500 companies, etc.).

The bottom line is that it’s Harvard. People with great GMAT scores, above average essays, and solid professional pedigrees are the norm, not the exception. Harvard does not "need" any particular person with such stats. If Harvard wanted to, it could fill a class with a GMAT average above 750. But they don't. So there is clearly a lot more to it.

People fretting over not getting an interview invite should take solace in the fact that they are incredibly smart and talented and are going to succeed at whatever they want to do regardless of whether or not they get an MBA from Harvard. - JLMBancredito""
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 05:48
Admitted to Olin!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 07:04
grimts wrote:
Admitted to Olin!

Congrats!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 11:31
mbahopeful89 wrote:
I randomly received an email from Duke today from one of their Admissions Directors telling me to apply for the MLT MBA Professional Development Program. It went to my spam folder so I assume it's just a mass email sent to minority applicants. Did anyone else who applied to Duke get this email?

Me and a friend got that email as well.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2016, 11:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43  ...  68    Next  [ 1360 posts ] 

Calling All 2016 Consortium Applicants!!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: energy2pe

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap