GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !

new topic post reply Update application status  
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2020, 23:05
Hi baboosh123

What is your age? 10 years of work experience is a little bit on the margin. I think the trick is to formulate and goals that will make you easy to recruit, that you will have a clear path to go after graduation. At the 10-year mark, they start to sort you into the Executive MBA batch. Do the best you can on your goals, articulate the why mba factor and you might want to include why this is the appropriate time for you to be doing the MBA. I would also recommend that you submit at IMD, which is known for mid-career. The average age at HEC is 30. So that is also a wise choice. And all of them have a January batch. If you have a good GMAT score in hand iese is also friendly to older applicants. With the opportunity for an internship.
baboosh123 wrote:
I am starting my application for Insead of 2021. I am an older candidate with 10 years of work experience. Really want to do a full time mba and therefore, thought about Insead

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GRE 1: Q170 V162

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2020, 23:34
Hi Farrell,

I am 32. Have a good gmat (770). Have good experience and can probably easily qualify for exec. But, still thinking about taking a year break and doing FT.
INSEAD School Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2020, 23:38
Okay, 32 isnt such a catastrophe and statistically you are a very attractive obviously. :-) That said I still encourage you to apply to the full-time program at HEC as well as a backup. If you're going for January intake. IMD Is specifically designed for people your age as well. If you apply in the fall, I would also encourage you to go for Sloan fellows MIT, maybe MSx. One year programs that Kellogg or Cornell might also be possibilities. Just stick with one year programs and European schools, two year programs would be a little dicey but not impossible if you have the right goals and you look marketable.

baboosh123 wrote:
Hi Farrell,

I am 32. Have a good gmat (770). Have good experience and can probably easily qualify for exec. But, still thinking about taking a year break and doing FT.

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2020, 23:41
Yeah, I won’t apply to HEC. I don’t think it will add anything to my resume; I will rather have an exec MBA.

I am thinking of applying to NW but believe that Sloans Fellow is not the right program for me. Let’s see how it goes.

INSEAD School Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2020, 23:50
What is NW?
baboosh123 wrote:
Yeah, I won’t apply to HEC. I don’t think it will add anything to my resume; I will rather have an exec MBA.

I am thinking of applying to NW but believe that Sloans Fellow is not the right program for me. Let’s see how it goes.

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2020, 00:06
Kellogg (Northwestern). Was too lazy to type a few extra syllables

INSEAD School Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2020, 00:54
Ohhh..
I don't know very much about you or your goals but Kellogg 1-year is definitely a good way to go for older applicants. Who don't need an internship.
I have a former client in that program right now if you need someone to chat with. He likes it.
baboosh123 wrote:
Kellogg (Northwestern). Was too lazy to type a few extra syllables

V

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2020, 00:00
WEBINAR PLAYBACK

Did any of you guys attend the Focus on Careers webinar that I posted? ? Well, it was effing great. I really strongly recommend that you watch it. Especially if you are interested in financial services even tangentially.

I think that it's actually good for you to listen, to inform your essays and interviews and show you really know the landscape with career services.
The more you seem informed and prepared the less risk you are - and the more likely you are to be admitted.

https://insead.webex.com/recordingservi ... 62a284b452

Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2020, 09:02
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding app:

Q1: The International Exposure section in the INSEAD App

The section states: Please list your most significant examples of international exposure that you have experienced, living, studying, working or travelling outside your own country (Region).

There are 6 rows to fill. My most significant examples are 2 internships abroad + 1 summer school term. However, I have already mentioned these 3 in my resume and in the job description section of the App (under part time work/internships).
My question is: Should I mention these here again (as they are my most significant) or focus on other general travels (which are not as significant but show more international exposure)?

Q2: The supporting documents section

1. What exactly is expected in the additional letters section? Could I add an additional letter of recommendation here? (from an INSEAD Alum)
2. In the other documents section, would it be appropriate to add newspaper/ media articles?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 04:03
Hi All,

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this. I applied to Sept 2020 intake recently and got declined in Round 3 without interview. However INSEAD remains my target school because of the region I want to work in and its 10 month duration. Here is my profile

Engineering(64%) MBA(61%)

Citizenship - India

International Exposure - I work extensively with EU and APAC regions - Have travelled to more than 15 countries for work in US/EU and APAC - I spend roughly 2 months per annum in EU/US with clients

Work : Currently manage a 12 MUSD business with P&L responsibilities, 8 direct reports. I head the Diversity & Inclusion council for my org.

EC : Own and operate a backpackers hostel, long distance running and I work with a school for underpriv children.

GMAT - 700 q49 v37

Recommendations - Two very good ones from Direct supervisor and Indirect supervisor

I would really appreciate if anybody can guide me on my chances for applying in January 2021 round. The INSEAD website explicitly states that re-applicants are discouraged unless there are substantial changes. Please guide.
ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:
INSEAD MBA 11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 05:06
Hi Resh16,

please, see below some answers in blue.

The section states: Please list your most significant examples of international exposure that you have experienced, living, studying, working or travelling outside your own country (Region).

There are 6 rows to fill. My most significant examples are 2 internships abroad + 1 summer school term. However, I have already mentioned these 3 in my resume and in the job description section of the App (under part time work/internships).
My question is: Should I mention these here again (as they are my most significant) or focus on other general travels (which are not as significant but show more international exposure)?
ARL: It'd be better to mention those experiences again, as they're your most significant ones and you also want to make your entire application consistent.

1. What exactly is expected in the additional letters section? Could I add an additional letter of recommendation here? (from an INSEAD Alum)
ARL: Yes, you could. This section is typically used for additional letters of endorsement.

2. In the other documents section, would it be appropriate to add newspaper/ media articles?
ARL: If you believe they are going to add value to your application, then yes, it would be appropriate.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Check out our REVIEWS on GMAT Club here

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 05:21
Hi weightedaverage,

I'm sorry to know about your rejection in Round 3.

Historically, INSEAD has not been the most reapplicant friendly of schools, but recently they have become a bit more open to reapplications. That being said, as you have pointed out, there must be significant improvements in a reapplicant's profile, including better test scores (e.g. GMAT, TOEFL...), in order for INSEAD to consider their new application

In your case, besides showing improvements such as an increase in responsibility or a promotion at work, it would be very important to retake GMAT and reapply with a higher score. As you know, for Indian applicants it is always recommended to score at least 20-30 points above the school's average, which in the case of INSEAD, this would mean 730-740. But given that you'll be a reapplicant, it would be good to score even higher. Is retaking GMAT a possibility for you?

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 05:48
Thank you so much for your help!

ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi Resh16,

please, see below some answers in blue.

ARL: It'd be better to mention those experiences again, as they're your most significant ones and you also want to make your entire application consistent.

ARL: Yes, you could. This section is typically used for additional letters of endorsement.

ARL: If you believe they are going to add value to your application, then yes, it would be appropriate.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 22:58
Hi All,

I would appreciate your thoughts about my application, I'm planning to apply for Jan'21 intake for INSEAD, because i would like to change carrer after the MBA.

Moroccan, 30 yo with 6 years of experience.
GMAT: 700 (Q49, V36)

International exposure : i worked in middle east (Qatar, Dubai and Abdhabi for the last 5,5 years) for a big US corporate consultant company in the construction, for major clients across MEA and on iconic projets.

Work : currently working as lead of section, managing 3 Engineers.

Recommendations: two very good ones, one from an INSEAD EMBA alumni.

Thanks in advance and i will really appreciate your thoughts on my chances to get in.
INSEAD School Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 01:46
Hi AhmedB

I like to evaluate profiles based on their 4 criteria.

Academics: not sure about your undergrad institution or grades, but the GMAT score is decent. A bit lower than the class average, and applicants from francophone countries are a bit overrepresented at INSEAD. So the rest of the app needs to be good. However I like that you have a very solid quant score, and a balanced score. They require 70%-75% for each section. Would be helpful to know more about your academic background.

Leadership: this is what needs more fleshing out. I like that you are leading 3 engineers, how can you get across that you are doing so effectively? Consider anecdotes you can share in job essays and recommendations (and via your CV) that will help establish how you have made a positive impact on your team, your reports and the organization.

I like to ask the question, how did you help them make money, save money, save time or achieve greater ease/efficiency? These tap into universal motivators. Consider how you can demonstrate teamwork, leadership and problem solving skills. Think not about the whole job as an aggregate but specific stories and instances you can share that the reader can visualize.

Contribution: you do have substantive work experience to share, from the vantage point a part of the world that is becoming increasingly relevant. They will be trying to assess how you will or won't be an active student and active alum. Were you an active student in undergrad, and what have you done to contribute outside of work since then? Think broadly about this, it doesn't necessarily have to be super "official" but show you as engaged and well-rounded.

International orientation: it seems you have spent 5.5 years working outside of Morocco, which is great. What did you learn from that, which you could pass on to members in your small group? What perspective have you obtained working in MENA for a US consulting company? How will you need a UN style business school experience to fulfill your goals?

One note - it is a plus that you work for a big company and prestigious clients but INSEAD is looking primarily for proof of positive impact more than status.

I really like that you have recommenders with an INSEAD EMBA; not necessary but definitely a plus. Not only can they speak to how you would benefit from an MBA but also how you would fit with the culture and benefit from what INSEAD offers uniquely.

INSEAD is a really long application and a huge investment; to leverage that, I encourage Francophone applicants to hedge their bets by also applying to HEC and IMD if applying to January term.

Cheers,
Farrell

AhmedB wrote:
Hi All,

I would appreciate your thoughts about my application, I'm planning to apply for Jan'21 intake for INSEAD, because i would like to change carrer after the MBA.

International exposure : i worked in middle east (Qatar, Dubai and Abdhabi for the last 5,5 years) for a big US corporate consultant company in the construction, for major clients across MEA and on iconic projets.

Thanks in advance and i will really appreciate your thoughts on my chances to get in.

V

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 01:56
So sorry to hear this weightedaverage, I can imagine how disappointing this must have been. I totally agree with Alex; the unfortunate fact is that despite having a great profile, there will almost always been an Indian applying who has an equally amazing profile and also a stellar test score. It's a drag. I would encourage you to bump up your test score for INSEAD adcom to really look at you with fresh eyes. Are you sure that INSEAD is the one and only solution for you? Your current GMAT might work for some other European schools that might also be a good fit. You are not "old" necessarily but would want to expedite ASAP.

weightedaverage wrote:
Hi All,

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this. I applied to Sept 2020 intake recently and got declined in Round 3 without interview. However INSEAD remains my target school because of the region I want to work in and its 10 month duration. Here is my profile

Engineering(64%) MBA(61%)

Citizenship - India

International Exposure - I work extensively with EU and APAC regions - Have travelled to more than 15 countries for work in US/EU and APAC - I spend roughly 2 months per annum in EU/US with clients

Work : Currently manage a 12 MUSD business with P&L responsibilities, 8 direct reports. I head the Diversity & Inclusion council for my org.

EC : Own and operate a backpackers hostel, long distance running and I work with a school for underpriv children.

GMAT - 700 q49 v37

Recommendations - Two very good ones from Direct supervisor and Indirect supervisor

I would really appreciate if anybody can guide me on my chances for applying in January 2021 round. The INSEAD website explicitly states that re-applicants are discouraged unless there are substantial changes. Please guide.

Manager
B
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 03:45
Hi AhmedB

First of all, great work on the profile there! And just in time to make it for MBA at INSEAD!

Looking at your profile, I can say that you have diverse experience, international exposure and leadership skills bit covered quite well, but that’s an average candidate’s application to INSEAD. To really make your application stand out, you would need to dig a little deeper and start thinking about how you are different and better than the others.

How about you start nudging yourself with this simple question- “What value can you add to your group at INSEAD?”

All the best mate!

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Schedule a Free Intro Session here.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/shantanu-sharma-b7938431/

AhmedB wrote:
Hi All,

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 00:24
Hi Folks, Two weeks left to submit apps in R1. Good luck to all who are working on their apps.

We have started a chat group for Jan intake applicants to facilitate real-time conversations among applicants during tensed periods such as app submissions or interview/result release. Feel free to join https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?ro ... TYCgIRMaPt

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2020, 06:23
Hi.

I hope everybody who's applying in R1 is on time with their application. I am in the process of refining my essays. Can anyone tell me how strict is the suggested word guideline for every question? Can you go a bit above the suggested word count to preserve the essence of the story? Any help is appreciated.

All the best!

Ronak
ARLee Consulting
G

Affiliations:

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2020, 06:53
Hi ronak1003,

word count limit for both Job Description and Motivation essays is strict. If you go over by even one word, the system will throw an error and you won't be able to submit your application.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2020, 06:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 99 posts ] 

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hideto, MBAPrepCoach