Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
soulmeetsbody wrote:
amakelikbe wrote:
that sucks, hdcdude.

my best guess is that at this very early stage, it's probably easier for the board to evaluate candidates who have less common or underrepresented backgrounds or goals (because they won't see quite as many others like us in the ED pool) than otherwise strong candidates who are likely to appear similar on paper to ED candidates who have yet to apply. no doubt CBS is expecting many applications in the weeks ahead and they want to make sure they don't confer any particular advantage in the ED round to those of us who have already applied over those who have yet to submit their applications.

unless you have some particularly extraordinary/unusual achievements under your belt or work in a high-profile position (e.g. PE), if you're a white/asian/indian male coming from a traditional pre-MBA corporate background, you may have to wait quite awhile to hear from the admissions board, even if your GPA/GMAT are on the upper end of the spectrum. of course, that doesn't mean you're any less qualified for admission; there's just more competition, unfortunately. (though i still think you should get some props for applying in june!)

That makes logical sense, but I hope it's not entirely true.

If they're waiting for more submissions, why would they open up the application so early (May)? I feel like that defeats the purpose of rolling admissions, i.e. admitting or rejecting people as they come in...

to get the people who might be great candidates for other top schools to commit early
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mikebrady wrote:
soulmeetsbody wrote:
amakelikbe wrote:
that sucks, hdcdude.

my best guess is that at this very early stage, it's probably easier for the board to evaluate candidates who have less common or underrepresented backgrounds or goals (because they won't see quite as many others like us in the ED pool) than otherwise strong candidates who are likely to appear similar on paper to ED candidates who have yet to apply. no doubt CBS is expecting many applications in the weeks ahead and they want to make sure they don't confer any particular advantage in the ED round to those of us who have already applied over those who have yet to submit their applications.

unless you have some particularly extraordinary/unusual achievements under your belt or work in a high-profile position (e.g. PE), if you're a white/asian/indian male coming from a traditional pre-MBA corporate background, you may have to wait quite awhile to hear from the admissions board, even if your GPA/GMAT are on the upper end of the spectrum. of course, that doesn't mean you're any less qualified for admission; there's just more competition, unfortunately. (though i still think you should get some props for applying in june!)

If they're waiting for more submissions, why would they open up the application so early (May)? I feel like that defeats the purpose of rolling admissions, i.e. admitting or rejecting people as they come in...

to get the people who might be great candidates for other top schools to commit early

If you know you're a strong candidate for Harvard/Wharton, would you apply ED to Columbia?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I certainly agree that Columbia OUGHT to avoid keeping ED applicants waiting too long. At the same time, my sense is that hdcdude's situation is unusual in that he applied much earlier than the candidates with whom he's likely to be compared (i.e. perfectly well qualified applicants who fall in the middle of the applicant pool). Overall, the posts on this board and the spreadsheet seem to indicate that pretty much everyone other than hdcdude who applied before August 1 has either received a ding or an interview invite, which means Columbia hasn't made most of us wait too long.

As for me, it's been exactly two months since I submitted my application and two weeks since my application status changed to "complete" post-interview, so I feel a final decision OUGHT to be forthcoming within the next week or two. If it's prolonged into October - and if most ED decisions from early submitters are prolonged into October - only then will I find fault with Columbia's new ED timeline.

Originally posted by amakelikbe on 08 Sep 2010, 15:28.
Last edited by amakelikbe on 09 Sep 2010, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Hey guys,

As an update. I just got an interview invite today (submitted 08/23). It was a little unusual though; I received an invite from someone in admissions who asked if I could meet with her for a formal interview next week. Otherwise, she said they'd be glad to put me through the interview selection process.

Has anyone else gotten something else like this, too?

Thanks and good luck!
Manager
Manager
@samocu --- lawgone had a personal interview and was later admitted. That said, he had a bit of an unusual case in that he was switching from law to business, having already gone to law school....which seemingly was the reason they wanted to further discuss his interest in bschool.

Do you have an unusual part of your application that they may want to inquire further about? Professional experience? Academics? Etc...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Interesting! I think the only other ED applicant on this board who had a face-to-face interview with admissions (with the dean, no less) was lawgonebusiness, though this was after his initial alumni interview. As columbiawannabe writes, his situation was unusual PLUS he was a very early applicant (May 11) so perhaps they admitted him before they were ready to admit anyone else!

Also, marcus7 (a J-term candidate) had a follow-up phone interview with admissions after his alumni interview. Interestingly, both of these guys were admitted the next day - a good sign for you, perhaps?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I'm a reapplicant. I applied initially in March, 2010, but was dinged w/out interview.
Since then we've partnered with Goldman PE and I've taken on a larger managerial role.
I also reached out to people at CBS to learn more about healthcare, so I'm not sure whether that played a role.
Whatever it was, I'm quite thankful and am very stressed about next Wednesday!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
As a side note, my interview isn't with the dean of admissions. It's with the assistant director of admissions. I wonder how their questions are different than those asked by alums.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
SaMoCU wrote:
As a side note, my interview isn't with the dean of admissions. It's with the assistant director of admissions. I wonder how their questions are different than those asked by alums.

I don't think the questions are different, but rather it allows them to make a direct assessment instead of relying on a 3rd party.
Manager
Manager
lagomez wrote:
SaMoCU wrote:

I don't think the questions are different, but rather it allows them to make a direct assessment instead of relying on a 3rd party.

I think the question we are all trying to figure out is what dictates a situation where they want to personally interview a candidate?
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
SaMoCU wrote:

It's a very good sign. They intend to admit you and just want to clarify something. You are presumably in. Back to the Federer v. Soderling game.
Manager
Manager
Why can't they have an alum clarify? Does an admissions interview def mean they intend to admit?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
columbiawannabe wrote:
Why can't they have an alum clarify? Does an admissions interview def mean they intend to admit?

Alums conduct interviews blind, so they don't have the full picture. The Adcom knows the application and has specific questions - it's more efficient for them to interview the candidate themselves.
Manager
Manager
soulmeetsbody wrote:
columbiawannabe wrote:

Alums conduct interviews blind, so they don't have the full picture. The Adcom knows the application and has specific questions - it's more efficient for them to interview the candidate themselves.

Excellent point.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys,

New to the the site. I applied ED on 8/18, application was printed the following day and went under review the very next day.

I haven't received a status update in 3 weeks. I'm also a non-traditional candidate.

One question--I've noticed that some applicants have mentioned that they submitted their application prior to the 8/16 date, which I thought was when Adcom began its review process. Is there any advantage to applying before 8/16?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
soulmeetsbody wrote:
amakelikbe wrote:
that sucks, hdcdude.

It's an experiment; they haven't done this before, and to give themselves some safety, they scrapped the official timetable policy. It does seem like they're interviewing a lot of people, though.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
"It's a very good sign. They intend to admit you and just want to clarify something. You are presumably in. Back to the Federer v. Soderling game."

That's great news. But, I guess my follow up question would be what would they want/need to clarify? This would be extremely helpful for me to prepare

Thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60  ...  198