Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
SaMoCU wrote:
perhaps the biggest reason is they'll defer applicants - who I'm sure are quite competitive - to see what the rest of the pool looks like. For instance, if you're a banker, and you've got an otherwise strong profile, you can be deferred because they may want to put your app on hold and wait and see what else comes in through the door. If you're one of the strongest bankers, you're in. If you're not, then bad news.

it's a way for CBS to manage its diversity.

I look at that with a bit of skepticism. For one, the b-schools know what types of candidates do and don't make their program -- I seriously doubt it changes too dramatically from year to year. Two, they're pretty early in the process already and I don't think 2-3 more months is going to suddenly be a game changer.

I'm not totally sure why they defer -- my cynical guess is that its someone who typically would be waitlist-bound to whom they still want to reserve the right to clamp on the ED requirements.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Makes sense.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Moss wrote:
SaMoCU wrote:
perhaps the biggest reason is they'll defer applicants - who I'm sure are quite competitive - to see what the rest of the pool looks like. For instance, if you're a banker, and you've got an otherwise strong profile, you can be deferred because they may want to put your app on hold and wait and see what else comes in through the door. If you're one of the strongest bankers, you're in. If you're not, then bad news.

it's a way for CBS to manage its diversity.

I look at that with a bit of skepticism. For one, the b-schools know what types of candidates do and don't make their program -- I seriously doubt it changes too dramatically from year to year. Two, they're pretty early in the process already and I don't think 2-3 more months is going to suddenly be a game changer.

I'm not totally sure why they defer -- my cynical guess is that its someone who typically would be waitlist-bound to whom they still want to reserve the right to clamp on the ED requirements.

Actually those who were deferred were released of their Early Decision requirements. There was a poster back that mentioned that one was deferred with a different timeline (December rather than February), but I'm assuming that was a J-term applicant. So I doubt that the binding ED requirements would be a factor in their decisions to defer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Ok gotcha. Thanks for the info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
2ND INTERVIEW QUESTION [#permalink]
CBS wants me to have another interview...by phone. Geeezzzz. I don't think my interviewer had enough in his report. He didn't take notes and the interview was 30 min. They didn't call it an interview, but its not optional. So, here we go again. Anyone have to go through this too????
Intern
Intern
Send PM
2nd interview!!! GEEEEZZZZZ. Does anyone else have to do this???
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V38
Send PM
angwen13 wrote:
2nd interview!!! GEEEEZZZZZ. Does anyone else have to do this???

It's no big deal. They just want some extra information. Some of the applicants who are interviewed are guys that they are going to ding unless by some gleam of hope they are amazing at the interview. You're not in this bucket since they want to interview you again. It's just to clarify a few points. Just know your application and know why CBS, and why you. Research things that are unique to CBS and you're golden. Ideas: Master Classes; Follies; Rugby team; value investing, entrepreneurship and healthcare focii....
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Abid Ali Khan Educational Trust
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Marketing - focus on international business
Schools:Columbia, Darden, Olin, Boston U
GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V41
GPA: 3.47
WE 1: 1 yr - Software Engg. - Infosys
WE 2: 3 yr - Sr. Account Executive, Account/Project Management - O & M
Send PM
Anyone heard anything on Thursday / Friday?

Another week gone by with no interview invite in my mailbox from cbs :(
Hope to hear something awesome from them this coming week...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
2011App wrote:
2011App wrote:
WilfulCruiser wrote:
RD apps under review

Did your application go under review?

I did not receive an email from Columbia but I checked my status and it now says Under Review for RD

Applied in RD earlier this week. Still shows the message that "[My] application is now being printed and prepared for review."

Oh well, I don't plan on hearing any decisions from Columbia until January at the earliest, so I'm going to go work on other apps in the meantime and try not worry about it.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Private Banking
WE 2: Private Equity
WE 3: Indian Government Project
Send PM
any one who faced the toefl issue thereby late completion? has anyone heard back? i am wondering whether the app is still in ED or pushed to RD for novemeber completion at my end.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got my admit on Thursday and accepted it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is anyone still on the waitlist for J-Term, or has been accepted recently to it? It starts in less than a month, but wondering if they are still accepting/reviewing applicants and taking people off of the waitlist for it.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: GM
Send PM
WilfulCruiser wrote:
RD apps under review

Did your application go under review?[/quote][/quote]

same here... i guess we all will receive emails on Monday notifying the change in status... fingers crossed... good luck everyone...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
long time lurker, add me to the list of ED applicants. Had my interview on Thurs, 12/2 and waiting to hear. Is the consensus that admits are hearing back within days of their interview?

Also, I got curious and noticed the Facebook group "Columbia Business School Class of 2010" already has 46 members, for whatever that's worth.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:ISB(Waitlisted) INSEAD(interview) Kellogg(Re-applicant i/w last time) Johnson(Re-applicant i/w last time) IESE(Re-applicant i/w last time)
 Q49  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 4
Send PM
ashindia wrote:
any one who faced the toefl issue thereby late completion? has anyone heard back? i am wondering whether the app is still in ED or pushed to RD for novemeber completion at my end.

Mine went complete on 23 oct because of TOEFL issue. There has been no action thereafter. I am hopeful they will reply in couple of weeks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Private Banking
WE 2: Private Equity
WE 3: Indian Government Project
Send PM
good to have some company :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare
Send PM
justship wrote:
Applied in RD earlier this week. Still shows the message that "[My] application is now being printed and prepared for review."

Oh well, I don't plan on hearing any decisions from Columbia until January at the earliest, so I'm going to go work on other apps in the meantime and try not worry about it.

Don't sweat it. Columbia reviews in the order they were received. A few of us submitted back in October. Last year, when the RD review start date was January 6, applicants who submitted in early January went under review after only a few weeks. It seems that Columbia moves through them pretty fast

Best of luck
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  116   117   118   119   120  ...  198