Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Investment Management
 Q50  V40
GPA: Dismal
WE 1: Information Technology (9 yrs)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
lawgonebusiness wrote:
So here's my summary of the interview with Mary Miller.

She really pressed on the question why I want to switch my career from litigation to finance and why I went to law school given that I did engineering to begin with at Columbia where I could easily have gone to IB. Then she asked why I need an MBA since quote-unquote " a top 5 law degree with an ivy undergraduate can probably get you an IB associate gig." She then asked me what I would bring to CBS. Finally I asked her a couple questions. It was not a "casual" conversation but very probing and grilling. She wanted to get to the bottom of the whole matter.

In terms of how I did, I think I did pretty well. I laid out all my reasoning behind the switch and backed it up with examples and introspection.

At the end, I asked her how soon I would hear back. She said quote-unquote "very very soon, mm.. 2 weeks at most, but can be much sooner, I just want to play safe on the timeline." Then I ended the interview by saying " I hope to see you next fall." She responded without hesitation "absolutely." I don't want to read too much into it.

GREAT JOB! What questions did you ask her? And what did you say you would bring to CBS?

Originally posted by columbiawannabe on 26 Aug 2010, 16:09.
Last edited by columbiawannabe on 26 Aug 2010, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Best of luck, lawgonebusiness!
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
columbiawannabe wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

She really pressed on the question why I want to switch my career from litigation to finance and why I went to law school given that I did engineering to begin with at Columbia where I could easily have gone to IB. Then she asked why I need an MBA since quote-unquote " a top 5 law degree with an ivy undergraduate can probably get you an IB associate gig." She then asked me what I would bring to CBS. Finally I asked her a couple questions. It was not a "casual" conversation but very probing and grilling. She wanted to get to the bottom of the whole matter.

In terms of how I did, I think I did pretty well. I laid out all my reasoning behind the switch and backed it up with examples and introspection.

At the end, I asked her how soon I would hear back. She said quote-unquote "very very soon, mm.. 2 weeks at most, but can be much sooner, I just want to play safe on the timeline." Then I ended the interview by saying " I hope to see you next fall." She responded without hesitation "absolutely." I don't want to read too much into it.

I asked about Master Classes, the alumni base in Asia, and student clubs such as Follies and Cluster Q

GREAT JOB! What questions did you ask her? And what did you say you would bring to CBS?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
columbiawannabe wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

My legal training, my LGBT activist experience, and varsity show production experiences.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:

did she mention anything about my application? i was the guy that sent the $100 bill with my app.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
mikebrady wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

did she mention anything about my application? i was the guy that sent the $100 bill with my app.

um... she's still deciding on the authenticity of your 100 bill.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
mikebrady wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

um... she's still deciding on the authenticity of your 100 bill.

it's just that my deskjet was running out of ink when i printed it. anyways, thanks for the update.
Manager
Manager
This really is an amazing little board we have going here. Tons of information from info sessions. One person interviewed by the Dean of Admissions....this is really pretty amazing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wow~congrats lawgonebusiness
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
What I learned from the interview today confirmed what brainhurt said earlier. If you are a career switcher, you really have to convince them both in your essay and your interview that you are dead serious about the change and you know how you will do it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School '2013
Send PM
Finally. my interview report went complete today. Took him close to 3 weeks. Brief recap of my timeline

7/14 - Submitted
7/16 - Under review
7/30 - Inteview request
8/9 - Interview
8/27 - Interview complete

Now just waiting to hear final decision. How many people on this board are ED 2011 with applications completed? Off the top of my head its hazay, lawgonebusiness and myself. None of us have gotten final decisions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EDIT:

My interview was on 8/25, my interviewer submitted his report on 8/26, and my application status just changed to complete today.

Recap:
7/8 - submitted
7/9 - under review
8/19 - interview request
8/25 - interview
8/27 - complete

Originally posted by amakelikbe on 27 Aug 2010, 07:47.
Last edited by amakelikbe on 27 Aug 2010, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
6train wrote:
Finally. my interview report went complete today. Took him close to 3 weeks. Brief recap of my timeline

7/14 - Submitted
7/16 - Under review
7/30 - Inteview request
8/9 - Interview
8/27 - Interview complete

Now just waiting to hear final decision. How many people on this board are ED 2011 with applications completed? Off the top of my head its hazay, lawgonebusiness and myself. None of us have gotten final decisions

I got a strong feeling yesterday that they are going to admit people for Sept 2011 sometime next week, the latest being right after labor day.
Manager
Manager
amakelikbe wrote:
EDIT:

My interview was on 8/25, my interviewer submitted his report on 8/26, and my application status just changed to complete today.

Recap:
7/8 - submitted
7/9 - under review
8/19 - interview request
8/25 - interview
8/27 - complete

ED or J-term?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
columbiawannabe wrote:
amakelikbe wrote:
EDIT:

Recap:
7/8 - submitted
7/9 - under review
8/19 - interview request
8/25 - interview
8/27 - complete

ED or J-term?

According to the roll call, ED.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, sorry, ED.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Has anyone in the J-term pool had any movement whatsoever this week? Really seems like a relatively quiet week on the board. As lawgone has mentioned perhaps everyone is on vacation?

Nobody has any updates?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  46   47   48   49   50  ...  198