Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
Program: MBA FT
Area of interest Post MBA: IB (career switcher), Strategy Consulting
GMAT: 710 - pondering over whether to give it again
GPA: 3.8 undergrad, Double degree - one in Economics and the other in Information Systems (Major GPA's both 3.9+)
School: Private school, ranked around 100 (but habitually in top 5 for Information Systems)
Work experience(WE): 3 years at matriculation. Consulting in Strategy and Information Security, etc Big4 Consulting
Nationality: Indian - lived alll over the world
Extra-curriculars/community: A whole host of things in University - Founding president of Cultural Diversity Club (principal author of constitution), Revived Cricket Club from having its status revoked due to financial impropriety to captaining it to 2 intercollegiate trophies in 2005. Also received 'Sports Club of the Year Award in 2005' - this may sound trivial but believe me, it continues to be my most satisfying achievement in college and source of constant joy. Also led student run University Budgetary committee which doled out USD1MN+ (one of the few such structures for an UG institution in the USA) - fought a lot of tough battles and learnt a lot there
Kicker - I have fallen asleep at the wheel post university - need to get back on track with EC's pronto.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Everyone's concerns about ED are not unfounded. ED is only for applicants who have decided that Columbia is their first choice. If you have researched schools and have discovered that everything that Columbia offers fits with who you are and what you want to be then the rolling and early aspects of Columbia's ED round can be really appealing. This is how I saw it, hence I applied ED. If you like Columbia, but it might be your 2+ choice, or it is neck and neck with your first choice, then you are better off going RD. RD might be more competitive, but we're talking about 2 years of your life that could plot the course for the rest of your life. Don't go for Columbia ED just to get the application process over with quicker, do it because Columbia is where you want to go for business school.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
Everyone's concerns about ED are not unfounded. ED is only for applicants who have decided that Columbia is their first choice. If you have researched schools and have discovered that everything that Columbia offers fits with who you are and what you want to be then the rolling and early aspects of Columbia's ED round can be really appealing. This is how I saw it, hence I applied ED. If you like Columbia, but it might be your 2+ choice, or it is neck and neck with your first choice, then you are better off going RD. RD might be more competitive, but we're talking about 2 years of your life that could plot the course for the rest of your life. Don't go for Columbia ED just to get the application process over with quicker, do it because Columbia is where you want to go for business school.

For what reasons do people choose Columbia over Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, or Chicago? Is it purely based on proximity to Wall Street and the location in New York City, or are there other things that go into this decision as well?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:

For what reasons do people choose Columbia over Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, or Chicago? Is it purely based on proximity to Wall Street and the location in New York City, or are there other things that go into this decision as well?

There's a lot of reasons why students to choose Columbia over the other schools you named. I'll name a few:
1) location, both NYC and Wall Street
2) Finance
3) Consulting (McKinsey LOVES!!! Columbia)
4) Particular alumni show the quality of the school: Buffet, Kravis, Mario Gabelli, Vikram Pandit
5) Students - I never visited the other schools, but I felt an instant connection with the Columbia students; plus, they have the Hermes Society and Peer Advisors, which are groups of current students whose sole responsibility is to welcome prospective and accepted students
6) Value Investing Program
7) Renowned faculty, such as Bruce Greenwold and even the former Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors who is now our current Dean
8) Real Estate Program - NYC real estate is a great case in itself for a real estate program
9) Healthcare and Pharma Mgmt Program - one of the best for MBA's
10) A Private Equity focus
11) An international nexus as far as MBA programs go, as well as U.S. cities
12) New core curriculum
13) An incredible pre-MBA "World Tour" initiated and facilitated by '10's (there's a 14-week itinerary, website, and leaders for each leg, talk about initiative...incredible!!!)
14) Yield - Columbia's is 17%, very presitigious
15) Ivy League (ok, Harvard and Wharton have that)
16) Plus Columbia has everything that top-tier programs should have, such as short and long abroad programs, a focus on entrepreneurship, every club under the sun, intramurals, class groups and teams, happy-hours, student-organized shows, a cohesive class of students, excellent job placement, great compensation packages upon graduation
17) I could go on and on and on...

Every school has its strength. If you want to work out West, at Google, or Silicon Valley, then Stanford and Haas would be better than Columbia. If you want a very different leariing experience, then Ross might be your best bet with their MAP program or Darden's case study system. No matter where you go amongst the top schools, you'll be able to write your ticket. If you come from Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Chicago, or Stanford, I'll hire any of you in a heartbeat--assuming I can afford you! So you are better off just finding where your ideals fit the school's ideals, and go from there.

Many of these things seem to be present at Chicago or Harvard. I guess what I'm really wondering is - how did you decide that you didn't want Chicago or Harvard? The above present a very good case for why you wanted Columbia, but to sacrifice your chances at every other school and apply ED is a big step. I suppose that it could just be a fit thing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Many of these things seem to be present at Chicago or Harvard.

I'm not going to go through every single bullet point, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on a couple of these:

FACT: Harvard and Wharton are not in or near New York City. They do not provide the same level of access to hedge funds, money managersm and private equity firms. This is very clear in the placement reports. A 20 person hedge fund isn't taking a trip to Chicago to recruit somebody. They're hopping on the A line to 116th.

2) Finance
FACT: Columbia's wins both in terms of # of classes and also because of the Master Classes taught by REAL Wall Street professionals. I don't want to read a case on how to run a distressed debt hedge fund. I want to meet a Wall Street Pro in his/her office (a couple of the value investing courses are taught on site!) and have him telling me about his strategy and what his firm actually does to execute their strategy.

5) Students
I feel the same way as dj. I visited Columbia two weeks ago. Huge difference in character quality between Harvard and Chicago (in particular Harvard). If you don't notice a difference, that's unfortunate, because the difference is pretty clear and stark in my opinion. I'm not saying anything bad about H or C, just stating I believe there is a clear difference, and my personality preferences strongly favor Columbia.

No other school comes close on this one. If you don't believe me, you need to do some more research on this.

8) Real estate program
This one should also be a no brainer
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Terp you need to also remember not everyone gets into all their schools. In fact only nervousgmat clean sweeps tons of top schools. I mean Terry got into Stanford but not HBS. So someone might apply to Chicago/Columbia/Wharton/HBS and only get into one that makes an easy decision. Also some people are realistic about their chances, I know chances of me getting into Stanford were so slim that I decided not to waste the $$ and effort to apply.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
If you come from Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Chicago, or Stanford, I'll hire any of you in a heartbeat--assuming I can afford you!

Dj- does that mean you wont hire me? :( ;)
Current Student
Send PM
You will see what I mean when you research and visit schools, or at the very least interact with them and the students. For example, when you travel to NY, you realize that a Goldman Sachs Senior Manager can call you up for dinner and to discuss job opportunities, and you can be right there! But, then you may see that NYC is just too bustling for you. Then, you go to visit Harvard, and you instantly love the city! To you, being in Cambridge and having to travel a little further for recruiting trumps living in Goldman Sach's backyard and having to live in NYC. It's all a matter of fit, and the unique aspects of Columbia (do more research if you think that the criteria that I listed is not unique to Columbia) fit with me more so than the unique aspects of other schools.
Current Student
Send PM
dosa_don wrote:
Quote:
If you come from Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Chicago, or Stanford, I'll hire any of you in a heartbeat--assuming I can afford you!

Dj- does that mean you wont hire me? :( ;)

Dosa, I'll write up a contract now if I know that I can secure you come graduation time! I was just using those schools because terp mentioned them, but I would be lucky to have anyone of this forum work for me! Most likely it will be the other way around because I am not starting a business anytime soon.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:

There's a lot of reasons why students to choose Columbia over the other schools you named. I'll name a few:
2) Finance
3) Consulting (McKinsey LOVES!!! Columbia)
4) Particular alumni show the quality of the school: Buffet, Kravis, Mario Gabelli, Vikram Pandit
5) Students - I never visited the other schools, but I felt an instant connection with the Columbia students; plus, they have the Hermes Society and Peer Advisors, which are groups of current students whose sole responsibility is to welcome prospective and accepted students
7) Renowned faculty, such as Bruce Greenwold and even the former Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors who is now our current Dean
8) Real Estate Program - NYC real estate is a great case in itself for a real estate program
9) Healthcare and Pharma Mgmt Program - one of the best for MBA's
10) A Private Equity focus
11) An international nexus as far as MBA programs go, as well as U.S. cities
12) New core curriculum
13) An incredible pre-MBA "World Tour" initiated and facilitated by '10's (there's a 14-week itinerary, website, and leaders for each leg, talk about initiative...incredible!!!)
14) Yield - Columbia's is 17%, very presitigious
15) Ivy League (ok, Harvard and Wharton have that)
16) Plus Columbia has everything that top-tier programs should have, such as short and long abroad programs, a focus on entrepreneurship, every club under the sun, intramurals, class groups and teams, happy-hours, student-organized shows, a cohesive class of students, excellent job placement, great compensation packages upon graduation
17) I could go on and on and on...

Every school has its strength. If you want to work out West, at Google, or Silicon Valley, then Stanford and Haas would be better than Columbia. If you want a very different leariing experience, then Ross might be your best bet with their MAP program or Darden's case study system. No matter where you go amongst the top schools, you'll be able to write your ticket. If you come from Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Chicago, or Stanford, I'll hire any of you in a heartbeat--assuming I can afford you! So you are better off just finding where your ideals fit the school's ideals, and go from there.

Great post!
I also interest in PM you soon to be advised about Columbia!
Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited to apply to Columbia. After I visited I just really fell in love with it. I have visited all the schools on my primary list, and decided that Columbia and I have the most spark (maybe fireworks in this case) :lol: I'm so glad that I found this thread. We'll help each other for the final victory. YaY! Thank you djhouse for staying around to advising us newcomers.

Program: MBA FT
Area of interest Post MBA: IB (career switcher)
GMAT: 760
GPA: >3.5 BSEE & MSEE
School: one of the top 5 engineering school
Work experience(WE): 4 years at matriculation. Software - Quantitative Finance (reputable company)
Nationality: Chinese American
Extra-curriculars:leadership in college alumni local chapter and high school north America chapter (I went to high school oversea), tutoring and mentoring middle school students, column writer for local Chinese School newspaper
Current Student
Send PM
Are the recommendation questions same from year to year?
Current Student
Send PM
happybunny wrote:
Are the recommendation questions same from year to year?

They have been the past two years. They ask for a fairly extensive recommendation compared to other schools, so make sure you give your recommenders plenty of time.
Current Student
Send PM
Has anyone thought about the 2nd question on J-term's essay topics? experiencing on closing the gap between theory and practice?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
happybunny wrote:
Has anyone thought about the 2nd question on J-term's essay topics? experiencing on closing the gap between theory and practice?

It seems pretty straightforward. Think back about a time in your life, either personal or professional (I'd lean towards the latter if possible) in which you learned a good lesson. This would be a type of lesson that you couldn't learn through a textbook or wikipedia. That's the whole point of the Master Classes - to learn from industry experts (i.e., people who are actively involved in their fields and doing hands on work.) If I want to understand how a real estate professional actually makes an investment decision, it's one thing to read through a case study, but it's another to look at current deals that somebody is actually deciding between and the process and methodology that he/she is going through.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
For some reason, Columbia is catching my eye the last few days. I have a question for those who have or are planning to apply to Columbia:

How do you plan out the rest of your application strategy if you choose to apply to Columbia ED?

I take it that most people want to submit their Columbia ED application in August or September. Given that it will take about 10 weeks for them to review your application, interview you, and make a decision - do you apply to other schools in Round 1?

What should your Round 1 strategy be if you are applying to Columbia ED?

Theoretically - would this make sense?

August/September - Apply to Columbia ED
September/October - Apply R1 at the following schools: Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, UCLA

I would be out a lot of application fees if I apply to 4 schools in R1, but I figure it is probably worth it to cover your bases in case you get rejected from Columbia ED.

Also - does anyone know the acceptance rate for ED?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Terp,

Not sure on exact acceptance rate, but I thought I read it is significantly better than Regular decision... I want to say maybe 20-25%? Compared with the teens for Regular Decision.

~Sam
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  59