Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
Guys ... need help

This question is to all the indian applicants. Did anyone take the TOEFL ?

I did not .. I submitted my application without the toefl scores.
My medium of instruction in undergrad was English and I have been in the US for 2.5yrs now, so I was under the impression that I was exempted from the TOEFL requirement. This was inpart because TOEFL was exempted for me at every other school that I was applying to .. I failed to check the instructions for columbia.

I guess I would wait n watch ...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Good seeing terp and ihatethegmat at the LA event tonight.

Couple of juicy little statistics.

Class entering 2008 (these were just published tonight, although djhouse reported numbers a few weeks back that didn't include j-termers, I believe).

Applications received - 5,999
Received Interviews - 46% (this was announced, not published)
Admitted - 908 (15%)
Enrolled - 722 (79%)

Ave GMAT: 710 (announced)
GMAT 80% - 660 - 760
GMAT Range - 570 - 780
GPA 80% - 3.0 - 3.8

Also, apparently ~1,400 apps were submitted in the last week prior to the RD "soft" deadline (which is Jan 7 this year). Pays to get your app in early.
VP
VP
So 1 in 3 applicants interviewed received offers of admission? Getting an interview isn't such a big deal then? Or am I reading this wrong.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I would estimate approximately 150 people showed up to the LA event. Approximately 40 of them raised their hand when the Adcom asked who is going to be applying ED. We had seating for everyone - but you could tell it's going to be a competitive year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi RyGuy,

Thanks for posting the c/o 2008 stats. Columbia actually published them on their website a week ago though. Did you notice that women comprise only 32% of the class? Doesn't that make you sad? I think we were at 33-35% last year and now we've taken a dip. I was really hoping that we'd get into Harvard or ::gasp:: Stern percentages regarding the women ratio :(
SVP
SVP
Send PM
TienyChesney wrote:
Hi RyGuy,

Thanks for posting the c/o 2008 stats. Columbia actually published them on their website a week ago though. Did you notice that women comprise only 32% of the class? Doesn't that make you sad? I think we were at 33-35% last year and now we've taken a dip. I was really hoping that we'd get into Harvard or ::gasp:: Stern percentages regarding the women ratio :(

You've got the whole city of New York in front of you. What is there to complain about again? Are you afraid that the Columbia Women in Business Club is going to explode because there are a whopping 10 less potential members?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
At the LA one he did say that 100% of the women was in the Women in Business club.

Where was everyone sitting? We should have had our GMAT Club badge on.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
TienyChesney wrote:
Hi RyGuy,

You've got the whole city of New York in front of you. What is there to complain about again? Are you afraid that the Columbia Women in Business Club is going to explode because there are a whopping 10 less potential members?

Yes, deathly afraid! j/k, I know that a couple percentage points don't matter much to some but most top b-schools would kill to get their women percentage up even 5%. It's just incredibly difficult to attract that caliber in that volume. For me at least, I would be much happier having close to 4 out of 10 classmates female (almost half!) than the current less than one-third. You're right about the whole NY options thing but that's a side bonus. I still care about the profile of my actual class. :wink:

Sorry if I came off as complaining- I was just trying to bring up an interesting fact that was left out of your stats. I like to think of it as merely bemoaning the current state of affairs that brings me to tears. :cry: :P
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I view it as a normal and small fluctuation in class years/profiles - not a material difference. I am not very worried.
VP
VP
I'm with you on that Tieny, I'd like to have as diverse a class as possible myself and if CBS can fill 40% of its class with qualified female applicants, that would be great. And I don't mean this facetiously at all. More women in class are going to make business school a better experience overall, not just make the social sene more "'interesting."

However, school reputations for being "women friendly" almost make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Prospective female applicants see there's more women at Stern, and so perhaps they apply in greater numbers to a school like Stern. As a result Columbia's female enrollment dips even further.

I'm sure Columbia's street perception as a Finance powerhouse probably turns some women off as well. On the other hand, NYU has very strong connections with the Media and Luxury Goods industries which probably earn it a few more brownie points. Therefore, I don't see Columbia matching NYU in terms of women students as a % of the total class anytime soon.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Soni -

I don't know how often you check the CBS thread but I have an interesting stat for you from the LA info session. The admissions officer said they have received 2 (yes 2) RD applications so far. So you are literally at the top of the RD pile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Soni -

I don't know how often you check the CBS thread but I have an interesting stat for you from the LA info session. The admissions officer said they have received 2 (yes 2) RD applications so far. So you are literally at the top of the RD pile.

It sounds like the LA info session was more interesting than NY's.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Soni -

haha thanks for the update. Don't know if I should be excited or nervous.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Soni -

Did you also ask about how many EDs in?
Just curious....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Hey,

Just read on BW forum that someone who applied for J-term had received an interview invite. I guess we will have to wait till they finish the J-term admissions before they start looking at our applications. I submitted mine on Aug 25.

Originally posted by traffix on 05 Sep 2008, 16:16.
Last edited by traffix on 06 Sep 2008, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Question:
My recommender used the recommendation template made available thru the website----I learned that the questions on the template are for J-Term. Not sure why they uploaded J-term template for september ED, but this pisses me off. My recommender obviously followed the questions on the template, hence, did not answer revised questions for ED. . .

Anyone in the same shoes...?
VP
VP
So - someone on Businessweek is reporting receiving a CBS interview invite on September 5th! S(he) submitted August 13th and went under review August 15th. This year apparently the application system only offers up names of alumni and their e-mails, no other background information on interviewers.

Ryguy and Tieny - you're next. :-)

ZOMG!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  59