Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
I got the same email but I don't plan on going (work, gmat, essays too much going on). I don't think it is any different from a regular information session for a school. You do meet with Randall and maybe you can get to make a positive impression that will help your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
mbacheckmate, my application went under review on the 4th of November and I just got an invite today!

keep your fingers crossed and have faith. interviews are still flowing out..

good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
lulala wrote:
mbacheckmate, my application went under review on the 4th of November and I just got an invite today!

good luck.

Thanks lulala and congrats on the invite.The waiting game is making me go "AAAAAAAAaaaaaaa" :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
mbacheckmate wrote:
lulala wrote:

good luck.

Thanks lulala and congrats on the invite.The waiting game is making me go "AAAAAAAAaaaaaaa" :).

you have my support and company buddy :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
xlick wrote:
I'm attending the Information Session in NYC this Wednesday. Has anyone have any experience with one of these? Anything I should know? Thanks...

Yes, you should assume the ADCOM will remember you. In fact, I have heard from different sources that Randall Sawyer remembers EVERYONE. So dress and act appropriately. Many people will wear a suit but I think that is somewhat of an overkill especially if you don't wear a suit for your job. But definitely dress at least business casual.

Take the event as part of an admission process because it is.

A case in point of what not to do, I went to a Booth information session (Cornell didn't offer one at where I live so I never attended Johnson's), and this one applicant kept whining about recommendations to the Director of Admissions, who calmly answered her "I have a hard time getting a recommendation from my difficult manager and what should I do?" question multiple times. After a THIRD try of essentially the same question, I could tell the Director of Admissions was turned off with her immaturity. The bottom line was everyone had to turn in their recommendations and whining about it was not the best way to impress the Adcoms.

Lastly, if you have a strong GMAT score (700+) then I would let the ADCOMs know about it and they will make an effort to remember you (and probably will). The fact of the matter is over 80% of the people who attend these sessions do not have the kind of profile the high caliber programs such as Cornell Johnson are looking for. I have noticed that they looked at me and paid attention to my questions far more closely after they knew of my GMAT score.

Originally posted by JinJJa on 30 Nov 2009, 11:38.
Last edited by JinJJa on 30 Nov 2009, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
okay now that makes me depressed

JinJJa wrote:
xlick wrote:
I have noticed that they looked at me and paid attention to my questions far more closely after they knew of my GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General
Schools:Cornell (R1),
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: E-Payments (3 years)
WE 2: Semiconductors (3 years)
WE 3: Aerospace & Defense (2 years)
Send PM
I think most of us have a "weakness" in our profile that makes us depressed. I look at the people with strong extracurriculars and get depressed. It's not all about the GMAT...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jzd wrote:
okay now that makes me depressed

JinJJa wrote:
xlick wrote:
I have noticed that they looked at me and paid attention to my questions far more closely after they knew of my GMAT score.

Two things

1)I went from 620 to 710 (and I think I still have another 30 points in me but I have no time for it during this app season). GMAT is a very, very,very hard freaken test. You are simply competing against some of the smartest people in the WORLD (not just US). People in China and India study for GMAT as if their life depends on it (it kinda does). So don't give up and definitely retake the GMAT.

2)Checkout admissions411.com. That site even makes ME depressed. The ADCOMS of top 20 programs are not kidding when they refer to their applicant pool as "amazing". At least 30-40% of Johnson applicants have 740 or above. Another 30-40% have 700-740. The rest 1/3 or so are sub 700. To be sure, MANY 740+ scorers are rejected in favor of lower GMAT applicants. But there is no getting around the fact that Johnson has a extremely strong applicant pool and having sub 700 GMAT is a serious drawback.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Thanks guys. So how do I let them know I have a 700+ GMAT without making it sound so obvious? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
xlick wrote:
Thanks guys. So how do I let them know I have a 700+ GMAT without making it sound so obvious? :)

I have a 710 so I asked them "Would it help if an applicant with 710 GMAT raise the score to around 730?". It was a genuine question, but it definitely received the Director of Admission's attention. I think she even liked the way I phrased it. I am sure you can find other creative ways to mention your GMAT score without being boastful.

As far as GMAT, in my humble opinion, I wouldn't assume your 730 is an automatic ticket to Cornell Johnson. Check out admissions411.com. The ADCOMs are not kidding when they say they routinely reject 700+ GMAT scorers. Truly, 70% of the applicant pool have an amazing profile (including 700+ GMAT). I advise you to get every advantage and hire an admissions consultant.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
haha..how about "Is an applicant with a 730 gmat still be competitive for Round 3?"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
xlick, even online, your confidence borders on arrogance. It is not a criticism but an observation. Those are the things they are trying to ding you on. They are looking for team players with strong social skills and leadership,

Also, I checked out your blog, you do NOT want to write anything negative about Ithaca by saying "drawback of Ithaca" when you are applying to Johnson. Yes, ADCOMS DO read these forums and even read your blogs. You are lucky tons of applicants have a 730.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
If I sound that way, my apologies. I'm just trying to bring a little humor into the seriousness of bschool...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:MIT
Send PM
JinJJa wrote:
xlick, even online, your confidence borders on arrogance. It is not a criticism but an observation. Those are the things they are trying to ding you on. They are looking for team players with strong social skills and leadership,

Also, I checked out your blog, you do NOT want to write anything negative about Ithaca by saying "drawback of Ithaca" when you are applying to Johnson. Yes, ADCOMS DO read these forums and even read your blogs. You are lucky tons of applicants have a 730.

Dude, I think he was totally joking.
Current Student
Send PM
My status just changed to "under review" directly from "submitted". It did not go through "completed"

My status shows a list of documents received, it says I am missing IELTS score but I think I am exempt since I am a domestic US citizen applicant (exempt from TOFEL with US UG and work experience)

R2 applicant submitted on 11/12

ONE BIG ADVICE NEEDED:

should I mention to Adcom I am taking the GMAT again in early December? I made the decision to retake after my submission. I guess I won't get dinged so fast before 12/12/09 which is my GMAT date.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jzd wrote:
My status just changed to "under review" directly from "submitted". It did not go through "completed"

My status shows a list of documents received, it says I am missing IELTS score but I think I am exempt since I am a domestic US citizen applicant (exempt from TOFEL with US UG and work experience)

R2 applicant submitted on 11/12

ONE BIG ADVICE NEEDED:

should I mention to Adcom I am taking the GMAT again in early December? I made the decision to retake after my submission. I guess I won't get dinged so fast before 12/12/09 which is my GMAT date.

If you read the last year's forum on this, most R2 do not get their interview invites until mid December and it is unlikely they would decide on your application by early December. I may say something different if you were to take the GMAT in mid December. But it may not hurt to notify them of your decision to retake the GMAT early Dec.

Good luck on your GMAT! Go Go Go!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke R1, Cornell R2, Columbia RD, Darden R2 (withdrawn), Ross R2
GMAT 2: 720  Q47  V41
Send PM
My application went "under review" today.

I am a R2 applicant.

It says that the received my transcript and then in brackets hey say not official. Does anybody else experienced this?

thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  72