Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Finance; Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2013
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Fuqua 2013 (admitted w/ $)
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:
Received an invite as well. Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees are accepted?

I think it's something like 60%, but I'm not sure whether that includes self-initiated interviews. I wonder how much weight Fuqua places on the interview because they're conducted en mass just two weeks or so before final decisions are released.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Darden (wl), Duke (interview), Cornell (interview), Yale (R2), Emory(R2)
 Q49  V39
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 CPA firms/three years(at matriculation)
Send PM
Kudos
ans wrote:
caitlin wrote:
After I scheduled my interview on Jan 8, there's no button for me to upload the resume...that's weired...Anyone has the same problem? I clicked the "add" button to upload one during the scheduling process, but didn't know whether it had been successfully uploaded to the system.

Can you please elaborate on " how to schedule duke Interview " ??

Well, I noticed that applicants from various regions received different guidelines in the invitation email. I received an email with link to choose from certain slots available in my location.
You guys should just wait and I'm sure you'll get the detailed guidelines soon. Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:Duke (EA-admitted)
 Q49  V37 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
ans wrote:
vyomneeraj wrote:
got the email about how to schedule the interview...but it was pretty vague....still no details as to the actual process about the dates, venues and who will set it up....anyone have more info on this...specially people residing in new delhi, india....is the interview taken by alumni or by adcom??

Same email introduces me to the co-ordinator but no specific details as of yet

According to the website....dates shd b 8th or 9th and according to email the interviewer shd be Alumni

Hi friends,
Congrats to all those who got interview invites. I had my interview with an alum in New Delhi who interviewed me in his office. About scheduling in my case - I got the initial interview email from Stephen Misuraca whom I contacted and told about my location preference. Then I got a mail from Anne (Team Captain for my location) who assigned me the interviewer and gave his email id to me. The date of interview was suggested by my interviewer (after I emailed him) and I agreed for that. People at Duke Office of Admissions are very helpful and respond well to every query.
Hope this helps.
All the best for the interviews.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
Looks like Duke extended the R2 deadline by a day: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke_mba/daytime/apply_daytime/

Does anyone know what time? I know some schools have it by 5:00 pm local time while others go by 11:59 pm.

From Fuqua's online application:
All deadlines are 5:00 PM Eastern Time
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:
The next week will be super busy for me at work. Is it OK to ask the interviewer to schedule the interview after a week, or should I ask him to tell me the dates when he's available and pick a date from that list? Thanks

I feel that you should leave this preference to the interviewer....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
drnitink wrote:
BruceLee wrote:
The next week will be super busy for me at work. Is it OK to ask the interviewer to schedule the interview after a week, or should I ask him to tell me the dates when he's available and pick a date from that list? Thanks

I feel that you should leave this preference to the interviewer....

When I setup an interview for Booth, I gave my interviewer a range of dates that worked; She picked one from that. I don't think it's alright to ask the interviewer for dates.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure. The interviewer hasn't contacted me, so I intend to write the first email myself. So proposing dates that work for me even if it's after a week would considered Ok, right?

Sure, as long as you meet Duke's deadline to complete interview. Make sure you give a range of dates, and that the interviewer has at least a week before the deadline to submit your review.

In fact, if it's for work reason, you can highlight that during your interview.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy and Corporate Finance
Schools:Duke Class of 2013
 Q50  V39
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: Infrastructure Sector
WE 2: Information Systems Sector
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure. The interviewer hasn't contacted me, so I intend to write the first email myself. So proposing dates that work for me even if it's after a week would considered Ok, right?

It should be fine, I did the same with my interviewer and suggested him that dates from 4th to 12th are the best possible ones. I told him that, since it is year end and that many of team mates are on leave, I am covering for them etc...so just put in a line about your work schedule and so on.

It should be fine. If it is not ok, he will come back to you. Just go ahead and mail.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:

Ya it is completely acceptable to propose dates in your first email. Also, dont wait for the email from your interviewer, just go ahead and email him...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Kudos
I just submitted my application. It's the first one I finished. I'm super excited. Now I have to get back to finishing the other 4.

Good luck everybody! Maybe I'll see you down in NC next year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Private Equity
Schools:Goizueta (Accepted with $$) - Matriculating
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
ATLapplicant wrote:
I think you're right MBADAWG. The one group for whom interviews may be more important, are applicants whose first language isn't English. The interview may be more important for those applicants because it gives them an opportunity to show that they can effectively communicate while at Fuqua. Again, I'm just speculating here and I'm sure there are folks who are strong in one area, but may raise questions in others. For those applicants, the interview may be an opportunity to address those concerns.

Speculating again, but I disagree. I think Duke and other similar schools such as Ross and Kellogg are very concerned about fit. Duke and Ross are also concerned about yield. I think the interview is a way to judge interest and fit. Many fit related questions came up during my interview with Fuqua.

W103,

I think we are on the same page to a certain extent. When I say pass/fail, I mean fit or no fit. I think they want to see two things: Purpose (Why MBA, Why Duke?) and Personality (Do you fit the culture?).

Well put on the "fit" ideaology. I'm somtimes shocked at the different schools that people apply. If you are a good fit at Duke or Northwestern, chances are you aren't a good fit at Wharton or Chicago. It will come across in your essays unless you are the master BS'er.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
MBADAWG13 wrote:
w103psp wrote:
ATLapplicant wrote:
I think you're right MBADAWG. The one group for whom interviews may be more important, are applicants whose first language isn't English. The interview may be more important for those applicants because it gives them an opportunity to show that they can effectively communicate while at Fuqua. Again, I'm just speculating here and I'm sure there are folks who are strong in one area, but may raise questions in others. For those applicants, the interview may be an opportunity to address those concerns.

Speculating again, but I disagree. I think Duke and other similar schools such as Ross and Kellogg are very concerned about fit. Duke and Ross are also concerned about yield. I think the interview is a way to judge interest and fit. Many fit related questions came up during my interview with Fuqua.

W103,

I think we are on the same page to a certain extent. When I say pass/fail, I mean fit or no fit. I think they want to see two things: Purpose (Why MBA, Why Duke?) and Personality (Do you fit the culture?).

Well put on the "fit" ideaology. I'm somtimes shocked at the different schools that people apply. If you are a good fit at Duke or Northwestern, chances are you aren't a good fit at Wharton or Chicago. It will come across in your essays unless you are the master BS'er.

Ha ha, I must be an amateur BS'er since I'm waitlisted at Booth and have applied to Ross, Kellogg and Duke, where I fit better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Schools:Fuqua 2013 (admitted w/ $)
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
ATLapplicant wrote:

Maybe so, but two weeks (the time between the on-campus interviews and R1 decisions) isn't very long to reevaluate a large portion of Fuqua's applicant pool.
If fit and yield are as important as you suggest, maybe this supports what MBADawg was saying about it almost being a pass/fail type situation.

I really think the application waivers that Duke offers are interesting. Through this policy, Duke is able to reward those who attend a Fuqua recruiting event, possibly increasing attendance to those events, and ensuring that a portion of their applicants are better informed about what Duke has to offer. This, in turn, may result in increased applications from those who better fit in at Fuqua, which could result in better satisfaction from current students and alumni and a higher yield of admitted students enrolling at Fuqua. By waiving the application fee for applicants with a family member or family friend who is an alum, Duke presumably also attracts more applicants with more of a connection to the program and thus, perhaps, a higher liklihood of enrolling if they're admitted. Duke also may become a fall back option for applicants to other top tier b-schools, potentially boosting the average GPA and GMAT scores of its applicants/students. All of this, in turn, potentially improves the program's rankings, thus reinforcing these same trends. I'm not sure if any of this is true, but I suspect it was the strategy behind the Adcom's policy and I think it could work to the school's benefit. Does anyone know how long Duke has been offering reduced or waived application fees? Do any other programs offer similar (non-need based) waivers/reductions? - I think Goizuetta may have a similar policy, though I'm not certain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
ATLapplicant wrote:
Anyone hearing anything about how the weather might impact this weekend's activities in Durham? Atlanta is totally shut down and I believe Durham experienced similar weather. I've got a non-refundable hotel reservation. I'll be driving to Durham, so hopefully the highways and surface streets will be cleared.

I live in Durham, so I can give you the bird's eye view. We got mostly sleet and freezing rain rather than snow, so we've got a nice layer of ice all over. The roads were kind of sketchy this morning, but the forecast is for higher temps at the end of the week. I think you should be fine as far as driving. I'm not sure how this is affecting air travel into and out of RDU, though, and I can't speak for what Fuqua may or may not do about rescheduling.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
azatshop wrote:
For all those who had their interviews:

I have made a personal observation, although might be wrong. So please, share your experiences to prove/disprove my point.

The female interviewers are more intrusive and stick closely to interview protocol - they ask more detailed questions, take detailed notes, and stick to the formal interview more THAN the male interviewers. Male interviewers get overall impression and can easily get away with generic questions, and ask their own questions more - they are really trying to get to know the person rather than to stick to the protocol.

I had an interview with a female student last year, and a male student this year. The experiences were strikingly different....

You are in dire need of a statistics class - you can't draw a conclusion from your two experiences.

If you look back at others' interview experiences, what you will see is that almost all student interviewers (at least at Fuqua) "stick to the script" so to speak. So the advice for applicants is to look at the questions others are being asked and be prepared for those. I can tell you that I was interviewed by a male that was very by the book, so I don't think it's a true statement.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
ThomasD wrote:
Except for if your hair is blue that is an automatic ding.
You will only get dinged if your hair is baby blue. Royal blue will get you extra points, especially during the week when Duke plays UNC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
nonawiz wrote:
For people who are currently interviewing for Round 1....does anyone know when the results can be expected...will they come out on the 31st or before that....

This Year duke is very strict about the dates so far...EA interview and final decision came on exact dates mentioned on the website and same in the case with R1 interview invitations .. So my money is on 31st Jan.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts