Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Duke R1 (Admitted w/$$), Yale SOM - R2 (Admitted), HBS - R2 (Ding), Berkeley Haas - R3 (WL)
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy Consulting
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
Roll Call Updated
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
 Q42  V49
Send PM
any news from people on the waitlist? been on it since R1 and Duke really seems to have been pretty liberal in handing out WL's. Does anyone have a feel as to when we can start to hear?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
fugo wrote:
any news from people on the waitlist? been on it since R1 and Duke really seems to have been pretty liberal in handing out WL's. Does anyone have a feel as to when we can start to hear?

Probably right around the deposit deadline. :) I am sure they will be people withdrawing. You can call the admissions office and ask them and see what their agenda is.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mrsmarthi wrote:
Congrats to all the Duke admits. And good luck for those waiting on the final decision.

I applied for FTMBA under R2 and got a denial letter. Today(3/26), to my surprise and shock I received a call from one of the Adcom members. She was informing that even though they cannot consider my admission to Full time MBA, I still hold a fair amount of chances for the weekend MBA program. She informed that if I am interested for this progam, I need to fill in some formalities and they can consider for Weekend MBA......I still have to undergo interview and all that process. But the good thing is I don't need to pay any application fee or refill in the entire application package.

When I lost all my hope for class of 2012 MBA, this call definitely gave some hope for my dream. Until now I have no thought of applying for part time / weekend MBA, but this call made think......if weekend MBA from FUQUA is what I am eligible for , why not got for it. After all, at the end of the day it is prestigious "FUQUA MBA".

Did anyone applied in R1 / R2 received such call? Also do anyone have any idea of how the week end MBA program is?

as far as I remember, there is a question in the application smth like: "f we the adcom decides that ur profile fits better the other MBA program, would you be considering it? choose from the list which program would you consider?" Do you remember ticking yes such kind of question?
Anyway, congrats! It is surely an unexpected and pleasent turn of events.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tsilikas wrote:
I was really disappointed because due to my mistakes, my application rolled over to the 3rd round. (I took very late the TOEFL test). Not very impressive profile, GMAT 670...I have almost forgotten that I ever applied to Duke.. Surprisingly I got an interview invitation :shock:
Duke is on the top of my list and I am really glad that I' ve been given an opportunity.

Just wanted to share this with you

Good luck to everyone. We share the same hopes.

Congrats! Duke is commited to attract more international students. May be they are having not so many international applicants this year? or may be they have few applicants from your region? Could you share ur profile? And do u consider doing on/off campus interview?

Anyway, what I hope my advantage is I am an international (+underrepresented region, or lets say, I will be the first student from my country at Fuqua if admitted) applicant + female candidate. Could anybody comment on this?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Roll Call Updated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
azatshop wrote:
tsilikas wrote:
I was really disappointed because due to my mistakes, my application rolled over to the 3rd round. (I took very late the TOEFL test). Not very impressive profile, GMAT 670...I have almost forgotten that I ever applied to Duke.. Surprisingly I got an interview invitation :shock:
Duke is on the top of my list and I am really glad that I' ve been given an opportunity.

Congrats! Duke is commited to attract more international students. May be they are having not so many international applicants this year? or may be they have few applicants from your region? Could you share ur profile? And do u consider doing on/off campus interview?

Anyway, what I hope my advantage is I am an international (+underrepresented region, or lets say, I will be the first student from my country at Fuqua if admitted) applicant + female candidate. Could anybody comment on this?

sure azatshop
W.E. 1.5 year army officer, 3y finance, Toefl 100, GMAT 680 (not 670), nationality Greek

I had attended an event hosted by the Duke MBA here in Athens and there were quite a lot of candidates. I believe what helped is my theater experience (5y) and my essays. There will will be a phone interview.

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
WoW! What an interesting profile you have!
You will definitely be an asset for Duke! I wish you good luck!
When do you have your interview? Don't forget to post about it!

tsilikas wrote:
azatshop wrote:
tsilikas wrote:

sure azatshop
W.E. 1.5 year army officer, 3y finance, Toefl 100, GMAT 680 (not 670), nationality Greek

I had attended an event hosted by the Duke MBA here in Athens and there were quite a lot of candidates. I believe what helped is my theater experience (5y) and my essays. There will will be a phone interview.

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:Wharton $$$, MIT , Booth $$, Duke $$
Send PM
I attended the Blue Devil Weekend. It was a great weekend! The Fuqua facilities are superb. I have visited the Booth Campus and I must say that I enjoyed the Fuqua campus better. The current students looked really in love with their school. Overall a great time. Good luck to those choosing to attend this great program!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Joe B-- congrats on your acceptances. Do you know which program you are choosing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:FuquaR1, JohnsonR3, TuckEA , Marriott w/ $$
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Who has decided not to attend Duke?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy Consulting
Send PM
azatshop wrote:
abouttime wrote:
just checked...(stupid office n/w bans gmail)...got the invite too...a mix of excitement and anxiety creeping in...
weird observation...an invitation to interview always brings excitement yet nervousness, whereas an outright ding (seen 4 of them this year) brings disappointment yet relief/resolve...human mind is never at peace with anything...

Congrats! :) I first checked the wrong mailbox out of excitement, and already thought I was not invited. Therefore, I first felt dissap/relieve. And then got excited and nervous as u said lol This will be my second interview this year. Where will everybody will hold the interview? Will someone be having it on campus?

thanks...congrats to you too..yeah I will be iviewing on campus...I am currently located in richmond so its not too much of a bother for me...whr r u located?...best of luck..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Darden, Duke($), Emory($$$), Booth(int), Ross(int), MIT
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Any international admitted know if it is possible to send the non-refundable tuition deposit via western union or wire transfer?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hello everybody!

My situation is following. I am an international applicant from Russia and I have been invited to the interview, which is a great thing, but there is one complication... I live in Moscow and it was impossible to find an alumni to hold this interview for me here. Thus, the admissions committee offered me two possibilities: either I go to another city (St. Petersburg) and have my interview there or they will find a 2nd year student to talk to me via the phone.

I have of course a possibility to go to St. Petersburg, but it will be REALLY complicated and rather difficult as I will have to leave my work and travel to another city and communications between cities in Russia are not that efficient... so, my question is - should I really persist and have my interview in person in another city or it will be OK if I schedule my phone interview with a student? Do they qualify the same? Or probably the adcom will take into consideration my step ahead and somehow the fact that I traveled to another city will be a better option for me than just talking to somebody over the phone?

By the way does somebody knows whether the adcom sent a lot of interview invitations this round? (just trying to evaluate my chances)

Thanks ahead for your replies!
Intern
Intern
Schools:Fuqua (R2 w $), Darden (R2), Anderson (R2 w/int), Kenan-Flagler (R2), Kelley (R2)
Send PM
mossovet814 wrote:
Hello everybody!

My situation is following. I am an international applicant from Russia and I have been invited to the interview, which is a great thing, but there is one complication... I live in Moscow and it was impossible to find an alumni to hold this interview for me here. Thus, the admissions committee offered me two possibilities: either I go to another city (St. Petersburg) and have my interview there or they will find a 2nd year student to talk to me via the phone.

I have of course a possibility to go to St. Petersburg, but it will be REALLY complicated and rather difficult as I will have to leave my work and travel to another city and communications between cities in Russia are not that efficient... so, my question is - should I really persist and have my interview in person in another city or it will be OK if I schedule my phone interview with a student? Do they qualify the same? Or probably the adcom will take into consideration my step ahead and somehow the fact that I traveled to another city will be a better option for me than just talking to somebody over the phone?

By the way does somebody knows whether the adcom sent a lot of interview invitations this round? (just trying to evaluate my chances)

If I were in your shoes, I would choose phone interview. I think, second year students always ask standard questions. On the other hand, alumni sometimes ask out of the box questions.
It's just my perception. I am sure many people will differ from it :wink:

:gl for the interview
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Consulting, Finance
Schools:Columbia EA [ding], MIT R1 [ding after deferral], Duke R2 [WL then ding w. interview], Ross R2 [admit], Georgetown R1 [WL, withdraw], Kelley R1 [admit, $$], Simon R1 [admit, $]
 Q47  V38
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: 2 years Finance
WE 2: 2 years IT (undergrad)
Send PM
mossovet814 wrote:
Hello everybody!

Interesting. I am from Bulgaria and was initially invited for an interview in Moscow! However they later on found me a closer interview location and I did it in Athens.

My advice - go for the live interview. It shows you have interest in the school and it is usually a more relaxed experience. You also get the chance to ask more questions (always makes a good impression) than over the phone, when time is usually limited and the interviewers often hurry to fit you in their timeframes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
mossovet814 wrote:
Hello everybody!

It does not matter. When people talk about doing interviews in person to show interest, it is because visiting the schools shows that you're really interested in learning about the culture there. You won't learn anything about the school by visiting St. Petersburg, so there's no problem in doing a phone interview, they will not hold either option against you. It really is a matter of personal preference. Alumni interviews can go either way, but for Duke, I would guess an alumni or a student will probably give you about the same experience (in terms of comfort level). If you want to go back to Russia, then interviewing with the alum might be helpful for you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts