Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: HSM
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
Kudos
fugo wrote:
does any one know what time decisions will be posted?

From someone who has been following this thread a bit too closely, here is what we "know" based on previous rounds.

1. Nobody will be called to be notified of admit/wl/ding
2. Everyone will have to log into the apply yourself page to find out their results
3. There will be an email telling you to go to your apply yourself page to find out your results, the email will give no hints about your status
4. Frequently the apply yourself page is updated before the email is sent telling you to check your status. It may be better to check that page than your inbox, if you're anxious. (I'm just checking this forum waiting for one of you to tell me to check my status.)
5. The email will come today, but nobody knows exactly when.

Sit tight!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, MOT
Schools:Duke R2, MIT R2, NCSU R2, Georgia Tech
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.77
WE 1: Technology Management - 5 years
WE 2: Supply Chain Management - 1 year
Send PM
Kudos
I just received an e-mail response from an Admissions Counselor at Duke and told Fuqua is planning to send the announcements out Monday morning - March 8th.

Let's now try to enjoy ouy weekend (long weekend indeed)... lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Schools:Haas (R2 - Waitlist), Fuqua (R1 - Accepted), Kellogg (R1 - Ding w/ Int), CBS (RD - Int)
GMAT 2: 720 GMAT 3: 730  Q48  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Admitted off R1 Waitlist.

Best of luck to other waitlisters. For those of you still weighing WL strategies, mine was to provide a consistent stream of new information from varying sources:

Late Jan - my Mgr at work sent an e-mail to the AdComm notifying them of a recent promotion & performance review.

Late Feb - my Supervisor sent an e-mail to AdComm notifying them of a new global project that I've been assigned to.

I had planned to send another e-mail mid-March reiterating my interest in Fuqua and updating them on some recent extracurricular accomplishments.

I've heard that another round of waitlisters may be accepted after the April response deadline.

Best of luck to everyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Kudos
kidd38s wrote:
Just wondering - has anybody applied EA and already attended an open interview had their app status change from "Submitted?" First time going through this and I submitted at the very tail end of the window, just trying to get a better picture so i can stop checking the app website every 2-3 hours. :-D

Thanks in advance!

I did all these things and submitted in late September and mine still says "Submitted." As long as you got the email saying everything was complete and that you'd get your decision on November 24th you should be fine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Kudos
asimov wrote:
what kind of swag are in your admissions packet? :-D

Solid gold bars. It's unbelievable that with the price of gold that they'd include those in our packets! My only complaint is that it made my packet very heavy.

Seriously, a flash drive and Save the Date magnet for Blue Devil Weekend. That weekend is when they give out the swag.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Darden, Duke($), Emory($$$), Booth(int), Ross(int), MIT
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
drew031482 wrote:
0rionMBA wrote:
I'm a R2 applicant and got an interview invite on Jan 26.

Do you have any inside info for us? Tips. You're the first I've heard. Just to be clear, there have been 3 rounds so far:

1) ED
2) Rd 1
3) Rd 2 (Jan 7 Deadline)

...and you already received one for Rd 2?

Hi drew031482,

I applied on Jan 7 (R2 deadline) and received an email on Jan 26 inviting me for an interview with one of Fuqua’s Alumni Admissions Ambassadors in Brazil. I already scheduled this interview to Feb 8.

Good luck for all R2 applicants!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Private Equity
Send PM
Kudos
Invited! My first interview invite so far
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Kudos
In at Duke!

Sorry to all the Dings/Waitlists. Best of luck to all of you.

Congrats to all the admits. I have a tough decision on my hands now...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
hey guys thanks so much! you guys are like my second family :)
So tired today. But very relieved I finally got in somewhere. I am still waiting to hear back from Ross, but I am 95% sure I am committed to Duke!

I followed mba gameplan and richard montauk's book on how to pursuit waitlist. I visited school and send in an w/l letter (at the recommended time, maybe that's the magic). Gl to all that's still on the waitlist, and I hope to meet everybody in the near future!
:wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Withdrew for Wharton.

I'm happy to share essays with any Class of 2013 applicants. PM me if interested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:FuquaR1, JohnsonR3, TuckEA , Marriott w/ $$
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Kudos
dbuzzy wrote:
Seems odd that theres no movement one way or the other (no one dinged or admitted off WL).

. . .and totally lame! AHHHH can't they just have admitted me already. :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Updated the top post.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Kudos
I did my interview on one of the Super Saturdays in october. I couldn't take a day off work, so flew in Friday night, interview/tour/lunch on saturday, flew back saturday night. I think it was one of the last days available to interview, but the students were experts at interviewing by then so that made it worth it. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
I did my interview a little differently too. I had actually submitted my essay before I interviewed. The interview was the first time I had actually visited campus too.

But to answer your question w103psp, yeah I would wait until things have settled down a little before I visited. You might not be able to do a class visit either until the first few weeks have passed anyways.

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
When I interviewed at Duke last year, there was a mix of people wearing business casual and suits to the interviews. Generally the people wearing business casual were wearing a blazer or sport jacket. I wore a suit - primarily because I didn't read the instructions well enough to notice the business casual dress code - and got in so I wouldn't worry about it affecting your interviewer's perception of you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Ok, this is my recollection of a conversation I had with Liz Riley Hargrove last summer:

1. Is about your career. Where are you going, and why? How will Duke get you there?

3. Is about YOU, as a person. How will you fit into our community? Why do you want to be there? How will you contribute? How will you grow?

I can definitey see that there might be some overlap. For example, the very team-oriented, consensus-driven culture of Fuqua resonated on a personal level. At the same time (and in hindsight), I see that that culture really prepared me to succeed in my current job, where the culture is similar to that of Fuqua. Some arbitrary line-drawing is probably necessary.

Does that help?

2012dreams wrote:
any thoughts on attacking question 1 vs question 3? of course question 1 is the typical "career goals" but the second part seems to be asking "why Duke" and question 3 is all about fit/why duke. seems like i'm answering the same question twice. should i leave the second part of question 1 more generic and just make it "why an MBA"?

questions posted for reference:
1. Describe your vision for your career, your inspiration for pursuing this career path, and the role of The Duke MBA in achieving your goals (this seems like why Duke). If you are interested in a specific concentration or joint degree program, please discuss in this essay.

3. Individuals choose a business school for many different reasons. Through your research, what attributes or characteristics of The Duke MBA program have most resonated with you and why? (this is definitely why Duke) How do you plan to contribute to the strengthening and enhancement of those attributes and characteristics during your time at Duke and beyond?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Kudos
shana22 wrote:
How much weight does Duke put on showing interest through a campus visit or other event? I (unfortunately) did not sign up for an open interview in time and will have to settle for trying to be invited to interview. Would it be a better decision to visit the school and submit my application in R2 or to submit in R1 and not worry about it? Some other schools (such as Stanford and Sloan) note that R1 is usually less competitive than R2 based on the # of applicants. Is this true for Duke? I haven't even attended an information session yet though I have spoken with multiple alumni. I'm scheduled for an information session in my home area, but it's not until early December. It apparently gives you the discount to a $50 application fee but is not going to do me much good in terms of showing interest in the school prior to them reviewing my application.

I'm from New England, in case it matters.

Ok, I"m talking just from my experience here, but here's how I see it:
Lots of prospects first visit the school for their interview. I did, lots of my friends did, etc. I really don't think it hurts you, especially if you've done your homework. (And I'm putting aside the whole "your campus visit will provide rich fodder for your essays" argument.) If your app is ready to go R1, then by all means go R1. You will have a better chance for getting admitted for two reasons:
1. Yes, there are fewer apps in R1 than in R2.

2. Duke handles the waitlst in an interesting way. If you are waitlisted in R1, then you will be reviewed against R2 and R3. If you get waitliest in R2, then you are only reviewed against R3.

That's my take. Also, the open-interview process is new this year. THey just won't have the data to make decisions based on when students interviewed.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts