Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
method wrote:
I spent about 5 minutes sitting quietly thinking about how I would proceed with Duke. Then I said, "GET YOURSELF TOGETHER, MAN." I'm not giving up on Duke without the fight of my life. GRE update, transcript update with 4 additional As in accounting and finance, and 4 additional recs (1 professional, 2 academic, 1 community service) are on their way.

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY FREEDDDDDDDOMMMMMMMMMM!!!

I admire your commitment level! Fuqua would be lucky to have someone as dedicated as you to go there. I hope you get in!

I am still unsure how committed I am to Fuqua just yet, but if I do proceed, my updates wont be anything as great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
method wrote:
I spent about 5 minutes sitting quietly thinking about how I would proceed with Duke. Then I said, "GET YOURSELF TOGETHER, MAN." I'm not giving up on Duke without the fight of my life. GRE update, transcript update with 4 additional As in accounting and finance, and 4 additional recs (1 professional, 2 academic, 1 community service) are on their way.

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY FREEDDDDDDDOMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Not sure if this was 100% serious but I would not bombard them with all those updates at once. I would space them out over at least a few weeks if not target one a month...I have heard schools get turned off if you bombard them with information that does not provide substantial additional information about your candidacy. Not sure if 4 recs will really show that much more. Might want to focus on 1 rec now and work from there...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
threestripes wrote:
I admire your commitment, but I would have to echo rgupta83 and advise against sending so much so soon. It is good to spread these updates out so that you 1) don't look too overeager to the point of appearing desperate, and 2) you always remain top of mind.

I was also waitlisted in R3 last year, and stayed on it through the first half of orientation week. When I asked about the option to have additional recommendation letters sent in, I was told that the recommendation letters that would really add value are the ones that come from alums, current students or members of the administration. And so, I would suggest that you look for those with Duke ties to send the letters out for you instead.

Good luck!

Again, appreciate the advice, but it's not a strategy I'm going to pursue. Plenty of people take the approach you're advising and do not make it off the waitlist. According to a chat with Liz Hargrove, waitlisters are re-evaluated with every round. If the R2 decision is coming out March 20th, I will make sure every update since November 11th is in before that round is solidified. Any notion that Duke will penalize me for being too eager seems out of line with the apparent strategy of yield management.

If my strategy backfires, then it'll be an interesting GMATClub case study. :wink:
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
method wrote:
threestripes wrote:
I certainly wasn't telling you to wait until after the R2 decision date before sending out some of your updates. By all means, send everything before 3/20. But don't send everything on the same day. A little bit every other week would probably be the best approach.

Sound advice, my man. :) I think there will be some diversity in delivery date, just because it'll be my recommenders sending most of it in. You know how that goes.

Hah - they do take their time. After seeing how well my recommenders received my gifts to them, I realized that I should have told them ahead of time that they would get more of what I gave them if they submitted the letters earlier. :lol:

Good luck again! Hope your additional documents do the trick! It would be nice to have more people like you on campus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
desijackass wrote:
Dinged...with interview wow, this sucks.
0/3

Sorry to hear that buddy!!! Good Luck with your other applications!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
miguelmick wrote:
Have they started sending interview invitations for R2 applicants?

Duke sends all decisions, interview invites, admit decisions on the days published through one mass system upgrade.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Just recieved a call for 75% scholarship! I'm so grateful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Go Devils!!!! They are going to need big games from Rivers and the Plumlees.

Got an invite, but I am from Durham and would be bleeding Duke blue either way. For all of you who have never been to Duke-Carolina, it is like a religious experience. Basketball is a terrible reason to choose a b-school, but as far as terrible reasons go, it is an awesome one.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
rgupta83 wrote:
I dont think you have to accept the offer to receive the package. I am sure we will get it this week or early next.

Where is threestripes to chime in on how this worked for EA round...

the EA admit letters took ~2 weeks to get to everyone so i think you guys are right on schedule
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Politico2012 wrote:
Hey guys -- would wearing a tie and jacket to the interview be considered overdressing? I know Duke suggests business casual in their interviews. I'd appreciate your input.

Go with the tie and the jacket if you're more comfortable wearing a more formal attire. They won't penalize you for overdressing.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I was asked about how would I spent my free time if it were not to relate to acquiring of knowledge. What naturally comes into mind is nature, books, church, etc etc. Wondering whether anyone ever had guts to say that they would have sex, talk on phone, chat in facebook or get completely drunk
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
navra wrote:
I was asked about how would I spent my free time if it were not to relate to acquiring of knowledge. What naturally comes into mind is nature, books, church, etc etc. Wondering whether anyone ever had guts to say that they would have sex, talk on phone, chat in facebook or get completely drunk

The way I understand this question, it is a thinly veiled attempt at asking you what your real extracurricular activities are. They want to know what you are so passionate about that you end up wanting to do these things anyway even when you're not being paid to do them or you're not trying to pad your resume with volunteer activities.

I forgot that I was asked this question... but now that you've mentioned it, I remember how I answered it. At this point in my interview, I felt like I was acing my interview so I candidly answered this (inserting the names of organizations that I have worked with along the way) as if my interviewer and I were old friends.

- I told her that I would like to sleep in a little bit and wake up at around 9am, followed by taking a quick shower.
- And then I would go for my daily 5-mile run because nothing makes me feel productive more than finishing a good run. I mentioned some charity races in which I have participated in the last few months.
- After a long hot shower, I would go out to meet with my friends for lunch. I touched on how I prioritize keeping in touch with friends and family because they are my most important assets.
- In the afternoon, I would spend a couple of hours coaching a youth basketball team. I discussed my past experiences and how these have inspired me to be more active in the community through sports.
- After that, I would have dinner and go to a sporting event with some friends/family. Here I talked about my passion for sports, which is why my goals are what they are to begin with.
- Finally, I would go home and check how my fantasy teams did that night before going to bed. I used this to elaborate on how I enjoy healthy competition with my peers and how my passion for sports has many layers.
- And then I reminded her that this is what I would do on a normal day. If I had unlimited financial resources, I would be a voluntourist making a difference every single day. After all, nothing beats discovering the world while changing it.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
amaterasu wrote:
Hi there,

After the interview, does the application status change ?

My interview status still says "Invited". However, I completed my interview on Friday last week.

Should I receive any update for my interview already conducted ?

I believe your status should eventually change to "complete", but you will not receive an email notification when this happens.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
amaterasu wrote:
threestripes wrote:
amaterasu wrote:
Hi there,

After the interview, does the application status change ?

My interview status still says "Invited". However, I completed my interview on Friday last week.

Should I receive any update for my interview already conducted ?

I believe your status should eventually change to "complete", but you will not receive an email notification when this happens.

Stripes, no wonder you are the king of this town ;)

It says complete on the application status

But submission status says submitted, and on the interview status it says invited...

According to what you said, I draw that interview status will change to completed and I can observe that by checking my online application, but most probably, I won't receive any e-mail notification for that...Am I right ?

Thanks man, I hope to join to Blue Devils

Hah - I had no idea I have gained such status.

Your status should remain as is. The interview status will no longer change. The next time you will hear from AdCom is on 3/20.

Good luck!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
inspired12 wrote:
Kellogg wrote:
I'm in R1. :)

Kellogg, are you in off the waitlist?

Hi, nope, I was in directly, only that I forgot to post it here a month ago...
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
gmatmba1 wrote:
canadianchamp wrote:
unicorn0130 wrote:
I also heard that only about 20-30% of the people interviewed in China will be admitted, but since we are in the domestic applicant pool, I guess this speculation doesn't apply to us. Any idea?

If that is the case that 20% - 30% of interviees get an admit in China, then interviees from elsewhere would have a higher than 45% chance of admit somewhere outside China right?

Any idea what subset of applicants would be able to get that benefit?

I doubt that the number of Chinese applicants who interviewed is significant compared to the total applicants. Hence, I am still going to stick with ~50%

I support this approach. You've done everything in your power to impress AdCom, so don't over analyze the situation because it will do you no good. Good luck!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Grumppee17 wrote:
threestripes wrote:
Grumppee17 wrote:
Any round 3 peeps out there? I'm getting ready to submit either today or tomorrow. Duke is the only school I'm applying to. So excited to apply. Crossing fingers!

Since Duke is the only school to which you are applying, make sure to let them know that Duke is the one and only school to which you would like to go this coming Fall semester. As an R3 applicant, it is very important for you to stand out. Most of the other R3 applicants are applying because they weren't quite successful in the other rounds. By telling Duke that they're your #1 school, you separate yourself from the rest of the pack.

Good luck!

Thanks stripes. I definitely mentioned that they're the only school I am applying to this year in my 'why Duke' essay. I just submitted a few minutes ago. The fingers are crossed. Do you know whether alumni referrals matter in the process? I have one from a friend and alum who graduated two years ago and got the nifty app reduction fee.

Good luck to all submitting out there!!

I hate to disagree with threestripes as he obviously knows his stuff, but I have to wonder whether mentioning in the essay that you are "only" applying to Duke is a wise strategy or not. I'm wondering how many people state this dishonestly in their essays, i.e. saying that they are only applying to Duke when in actuality they are applying to other schools, and if it is something that's common if that might lead adcoms to be suspicious of the candidate's authenticity. Even if it doesn't lead them to be suspicious, by telling them that you are only applying to Duke, I'd have to think that would greatly lessen your chance of getting scholarship or fellowship funding as well. Since they would know that no other schools are competing for you, there would be no incentive for them to offer any aid.

On top of all that, I have to wonder if only applying for one school might not reflect positively on the candidate. After all, part of recruiting for jobs is getting your name out to a lot of different companies and tossing your net wide, considering many different paths and opportunities. If you were to recruit for McKinsey and ONLY for McKinsey...well then what would happen if you didn't get the offer? Schools undoubtedly want to accept candidates that will recruit well and get great job offers.

In short, I think there's a lot of drawbacks to showing "too much love" for just one school. Maybe I'm overthinking it though? I know you've already submitted the ap so it's a moot point, but I think this is an interesting discussion to consider for other future candidates.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts