Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Back from my interview at Duke!

I actually had my interview with an admissions member, which apparently is quite rare, but I didn't get asked any questions that haven't already been posted here. Very conversational and relaxed. Like LeftOut said, we had a fire drill so we got delayed for 5 min, but my interview lasted the other 55 mins.

Since my list of questions to ask were more directed at current students, I had a chance to ask the admin member about the admin process. She said they have first and second readers. If both give the app the thumbs down, it get immediately rejected. If only one reader gives it a thumbs down, it still goes to committee.

Once at committee, the readers sit around and advocate for the apps they read. The applicants stats are put up on screen and the written comments are read out loud. This way each candidate can be judged against the entire pool. The committee then makes a yes/no/waitlist decision. If, at the end a reader feels that an applicant hasn't been fully considered, he or she can bring up it up at the end for a second look. She also said the people who end up on the waitlist are the people are very exceptional overall, but in light of the pool as a whole, fall towards the bottom (common sense I guess).

Highlights:
- got to meet LeftOut and Aaudetat (super nice! she let me sit in on one of her team meetings!)
- really freakin' cold (28F or so in the morning)
- the HSM program is very impressive! The amount of interaction with the the greater Duke school and within industry is very impressive. The program is very flexible too. Basically, if you can come up with a good idea, they'll probably let you do it. The HSM course I sat in on was very impressive as well. One of the professors has many years of experience at a major pharma company and offered amazing insight into the decisions these companies make when bringing new drugs to market.
- as expected the building is very impressive and absolutely huge
- the school is very student driven. One student told me that summer intro program for 1st years was very overwhelming for many. So the students worked with faculty to reorganize it! I got plenty of other example where the school and students worked together to improve the program.

RF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
RMaven21 wrote:
totally forgot about this forum this year, i used it extensively when studying for GMAT last year
add me to the EA list~!

Early Action applicant
Submitted: 10/14
App Complete E-mail: 10/28
Phone Interview Invitation: 11/6 (US citizen overseas)
Completed Phone Interview w/ SY: 11/8
Waitlisted: 11/14
Called adcom to clarify some things: 11/16
Final decision: Accepted on 11/20

Hi RMaven21,

Can I ask why you feel you got WL and why you feel you got off the WL? I applied EA and got WL and I'm really looking to get accepted.

Thanks,
Mark

You can PM me if you want.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Kudos
Hi folks! Just got done with the women's weekend - the session was well-run, I had a great time. Thought I'd share my notes from sessions and chatting with current students. Some of this is relatively common knowledge about the school but I hope it helps anyway..

Misc obeservations:
- Current students at Fuqua are all super nice and helpful, answered all my questions (even the blunt annoying ones like "so why did you really choose Fuqua over Kellogg?" and "if you got in here and at school x, where would you go? why?")
- Durham is really...less than exciting. It seems that students really bond about the fact that they are in Durham. (several said, "it's like tuck and hanover...only duke and durham")
- Everything really is student run - from Fuqua Friday to the whole weekend, it was all organized by the students. Was really well done!

Admissions/Financial Aid
- Every app is read at least twice, by staff/students/contract essay readers (mostly alums)

- Biggest Pitfalls the AdCom sees on essays:
1) make sure you answer the essay question being asked
2) Make sure your answer is tailored to Duke - don't copy/paste from other schools
3) Be cautious with humor - sometimes the meaning doesn't come across well, just ends up being awkward
4) Make sure you demonstrate passion (for the school, your job, etc)

- Qualities they look for in your app:
1) Do you think differently?
2) Do you value culture? will you be a good fit?
3) How will you give back and impact your school, classmates?

- They expect this year to be as competitive or slightly more than last year. Despite the slight increase in apps, they don't plan to increase the class size
- Leaders of Consequence essay (many people asked about this): Adcom said they were looking to understand how you will shape the world. Broadly speaking, outside work, what impact will you have on the world?

HSM
- If you are applying for HSM, the HSM office does review your app prior to admission.
- Fuqua is looking to increase classes on the payor side, increase integration w/ law and policy schools through classes
- if you want to do anything in the healthcare space and don't have HSM, recruiters will ask you why you didn't do the HSM concentration
- they are looking to start a HSM GATE trip for next year to Africa
- About 20% of students are in HSM; the program enrollment is not capped though.

Entrepeneurship at Fuqua
- Huge push to get Fuqua known for Entrepeneurship - they want people to say "Oh Entrep Schools? Like MIT, Haas, Stanford and Duke?"
- There's a Program for Entrepeneurs that gives you course credit for starting a company; it's invitation only, based on interest expressed in your application. This year, they had 6 people doing it, for next year, they're thinking 8 people. Howie Rhee (program director) reviews apps for potential candidates.
- Geographically, they find that VCs in the RTP area are really welcoming to Duke students. Harder to get to the ones in Cali, have to fly there a lot on your own (that's the case in most schools apparently).
- Fuqua is increasing the courses that are offered in Entrepeneurship.
- Support for Entrep includes: Startup Matchmaker Blog, Startup Support Group, Duke Startup Challenge, EVCC Club, Entrepeneurship week, Duke Global Entrep Network, Week in Cities

Career Stuff:
- "Duke loves Duke" - apparently, Duke grads (not just Fuqua, all Duke) really like hiring Fuqua students
- This is the first year that a non-profit (Education Pioneers) was listed as one of the top employers of Fuqua grads. Hoping this means that Net Impact will increase membership, etc.
- For GM, John Deer loves hiring Duke kids. lots of alums work there, really have strong hiring presence.
- For Consulting, Deloitte has a huge Duke network. Lots of alums work there too, really hire lots of Fuqua grads.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
VISHGOEL wrote:
congrats to everyone who got in... I am starting my Duke app and looking for some advice...

can people share what they think might have made a difference in "their" duke app....such as any specific event, sequence of interactions, strong GMAT, strong essays (which one) etc etc...

Been celebrating tonight, so excuse the misspellings if there are any.

I think my key was, as stated before, really conveying in the LOC essay what difference I want to make in the future. For me, it was helping to rejuvenate the Detroit and Michigan area. May seem odd, but I am from there and it has been tough to see the state flounder as it has.

In addition, I think my interview went a ways in helping me get in. I really conveyed in my interview that I am feel I am a team player and willing to take the steps to make a team work. Remember, in the case of a lot of schools, it isn't telling them what you will get out of an MBA (they already know this!) -- instead it is telling them how you will contribute to the MBA program (which I feel I can do at Fuqua!).

Best of luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Hope this helps!!

~Sam
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
mindgame wrote:
congrats to everyone who got in... I am starting my Duke app and looking for some advice...

can people share what they think might have made a difference in "their" duke app....such as any specific event, sequence of interactions, strong GMAT, strong essays (which one) etc etc...

My take is similar to Sam's. I think the LOC essay is critical - and within that essay I think it's important to be very specific about not just what you want to achieve, but how you would achieve it (e.g. "I want to eliminate poverty in New York City, and here are the 3 things I will do to accomplish that..."). You'll also want to make sure the LOC essay doesn't just read like a longer version of a career goals essay.

I think my interview also helped tremendously. At a minimum, I think that if you're a US applicant, making the effort to go to Durham reflects positively on how serious you are about potentially attending Duke. Plus, with the school's culture, it's important to make a connection with the interviewer and show that you'd be a great teammate.
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
NJMike4MBA wrote:
mindgame wrote:

My take is similar to Sam's. I think the LOC essay is critical - and within that essay I think it's important to be very specific about not just what you want to achieve, but how you would achieve it (e.g. "I want to eliminate poverty in New York City, and here are the 3 things I will do to accomplish that..."). You'll also want to make sure the LOC essay doesn't just read like a longer version of a career goals essay.

I think my interview also helped tremendously. At a minimum, I think that if you're a US applicant, making the effort to go to Durham reflects positively on how serious you are about potentially attending Duke. Plus, with the school's culture, it's important to make a connection with the interviewer and show that you'd be a great teammate.

I agree - make sure your ideas aren't just ideas, that you have thought about things tactically. I think their focus is making sure that students have a well rounded perspective post-graduation - what will you do with this degree professionally, socially, and internationally? I structured my essay this way: Define what a LOC is, how you currently exemplify those qualities, what your goals are as a LOC and how a Fuqua MBA will further enhance your goals post-MBA as a LOC.

And during your interview, be relaxed. Just be yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I didn't have an effing clue what a LOC was. So I made something up - I defined it as a leader who wasn't just a competent manager in the short-term but also laid a solid foundation for long-term stability and growth within an organization. And then I talked about how I'd like to do that within the field I work in.

BY THE WAY, IMHO Station 6 is greatly overpriced housing. That's why they cater to grad students at Duke, who mainly move there from much higher-priced locales. Living in Chapel Hill, I pay $300 a month in rent (which is low for the area, but still), as opposed to the exorbitant rents at Station 6. Living in Durham, don't pay more than $700/month. $800 if you're really a baller or married or something.

Also, my interviewer was hot. Just sayin'.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Kudos
My LOC essay started with a very unique anecdote I had (I visited the potala palace in tibet). I then talked about how i work at a company that earns profit from military technology, but also has commercial interests in china. i talked about how i have to reconcile these seemingly at odds issues. one is my moral conscience, two is the fact we defend against a country we also try to make money from, that has some troubling humanatarian issues.

as a LOC I said, i want to do the things which acknowledges these circumstances but allows me still to act in the best interest of my country, company, and humanity. the way i could do it, is by adhereing to three principles, which i named and explained.

hope that helps. i think they look for reflection on your experiences, and uniqueness in them. be genuine. be honest. dont overstate. be humble.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
atlmba2009 wrote:
Ntang wrote:
There was a blurb at the bottom of that acceptance letter I found interesting - the admissions office will contact you in the fall of 2009 to find out what you've been doing in the interim since accepting the offer.

Seriously, they said "since accepting the offer" in your initial notification of admission? Isn't that a tad presumptuous?

You don't understand! Now the tables have turned! It's like dating. Now Duke has said "I love you!".

Remember when you said in your essays "As a Duke MBA student I plan to..."

Well, now it's there turn!

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
This should give you guys some idea...

Kroll Background check info:

https://www.kroll.com/services/screening ... stigation/

Wharton Student Busted for Lying through Kroll Link:

https://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:uzm ... cd=1&gl=us
Current Student
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Waitlist Q & A
This correspondence is intended to provide you with answers to frequently asked questions regarding our waitlist process. It is our hope that this will alleviate concerns or questions you have regarding your waitlist status.

Q: How many people are on the waitlist?
We are unable to disclose an exact number of people who are waitlisted. Candidates on the waitlist may be admitted or may choose to remove their name from the waitlist at any point in the process. Therefore, the actual number of candidates on the waitlist can vary from day to day. Please be advised that the Admissions Committee has made a conscious decision to limit the number of applicants extended a place on the waitlist.

Q: Can I retake the GMAT?
Yes. We will accept new scores from an applicant who has elected to remain active on the waitlist. Deciding to retake the GMAT is a personal decision. If you feel that you did not test at your highest potential, it might be in your best interest to retake the test. In deciding to retest, applicants have found it helpful to compare themselves to the 80% range (630-750), you may want to consider sitting for the GMAT again and submitting your new score. Should you elect to take the GMAT again, please notify our office so we may look for your new score.

Q: Is the waitlist ranked and if so what number am I on the waitlist?
No. The waitlist is not ranked. However, it is imperative that you inform the Committee of your intentions to remain active on the waitlist. Only those applicants who have elected to remain active on the waitlist will be considered for admission.

Q: When will the Admissions Committee review waitlisted candidates?
The Admissions Committee may review applications of candidates on the waitlist at any point of time during the application process. You will be informed immediately if/when a new decision has been made on your application. As such, please be sure to keep us informed of any changes in your contact information.

Q: When is the latest I would be admitted from the waitlist?
In the past, we have admitted students from the waitlist as late as the start of Orientation in August.

Q: I was waitlisted for an interview. What should I do?
The Office of Admissions will contact you via e-mail to coordinate a telephone or alumni interview. No action is needed on your part until you receive the e-mail. Please be assured that the interview will be scheduled to allow enough time for the Admissions Committee to consider the interview when the waitlist is next reviewed.

Q: I was not waitlisted specifically for an interview. May I schedule an interview?
If you have not interviewed, you are welcome to schedule a campus visit and interview. Out of fairness to all applicants and due to limited space availability, only one interview may be conducted for an applicant per admission cycle. We are unable to grant requests for a second interview. This includes both alumni interviews and campus interviews.

Q: May I submit additional information for the Admissions Committee to consider?
Yes. During the coming months you may submit additional information that you feel will be helpful to the Committee in consideration of your file. Brevity and relevance are important when determining what to submit to the Admissions Committee. It is not necessary to duplicate information already covered in your application. All information must be submitted via e-mail to ensure that it will be placed in your file. Examples may include:

*Information on recent professional or community accomplishments
*an additional recommendation
*scanned official transcripts for recently completed coursework
*a copy of a new test score (note: official score must also come from ETS)
*any changes in contact information (mailing address, phone number, e-mail address)

Q: How should I submit additional information?We prefer that any updates to your file be submitted to our e-mail account specifically designated for applicants on the waitlist. This account is checked regularly and you will receive verification of your emal receipt within 5-7 business days. Should you prefer to send an update via post mail and you wish to have verification of the receipt of your mailing, please use a carrier that provides a delivery confirmation.

Q: To whom should I submit additional information?
All updates sent via e-mail should be submitted to: mbawaitlist@fuqua.duke.edu. Please note that this account is for the receipt of application updates only. We respectfully request that you direct any inquiries regarding your status on the waitlist to our office via telephone, (919) 660-7705. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

All post mail correspondence updating your application file should be sent to the attention of:

Attention: Waitlist Coordinator
The Duke MBA
Office of Admissions
The Fuqua School of Business
Duke University
1 Towerview Drive
Durham, NC 27708-0104

Q: I have a question that has not been addressed in the Waitlist Q&A. What should I do?

Should you have an inquiry regarding the waitlist process, please feel free to contact our office via telephone and ask to speak with an Admissions Officer. You may reach us during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., EST. We would be happy to speak with you and address any questions or concerns you have regarding your application status.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
woncosmo wrote:
Has any R2 international applicant heard from Duke?

I am an applicant from India. My app status shows - Submission Status: Submitted

Has any of your app status changed?

It took a while for the R1 international applicants to hear from Admissions, FYI.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
From what I see in various forums, especially a B-school forum very popular in India, the drop in int'l applicants/admits for Duke is nothing but RUMOR. I can see a large number of int'l admits in the Fuqua Admit Facebook group.

However the same cannot be said about certain other schools. For example, Darden has significantly reduced offers to int'l applicants.

That said, if a solution for the loan w/o cosigner issue is not found soon, the number of int'l matriculants will certainly drop compared to earlier years. This may affect decisions of other admits. I know a fellow admit who has chosen Duke over a UE because of the international diversity Duke offers.

Originally posted by abhyudaya on 30 Jan 2009, 11:13.
Last edited by abhyudaya on 30 Jan 2009, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, all. I was just at a talk by the dean yesterday, and Duke's commitment to global breadth - in the curriculum, the recruiters, and the student body - remains as strong as ever. The int'l campuses are moving forward as planned and they're even planning recruiting trips to the UAE and China, and maybe others.

I also have good news: the Business Week article and the resulting chatter on the blogs is completely NOT correct.

So, here is where Fuqua is with the int'l loan issue: we've found a solution that is essentially status quo from this year, but Blair and company are working on something even better. There has been no official announcement as they work out the details. So stay tuned and have faith.

cheers
aau
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Kudos
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/bl ... ation.html

here's a new BW article - "Loan Situation Looks Rosier for Duke's International Applicants"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2011
Send PM
Kudos
finblue wrote:
woncosmo, I'm on the same boat with you- received the two e-mails last evening, but have no interview invite yet.
Since I'm an international applicant from asia, naturally I signed up for an alum interview.
Getting a little nervous, does this mean they don't inted to invite me for it?

Before prompting a deluge of Fuqua-defending emails
I'll state that i'm a huge fan and its my #1 choice if admitted.
But...

1) Received official communication reminding us about R2 deadline, but with the wrong date on it
2) Random email stating all was submitted, but before my interview (which is scheduled for next w/e)

My point is that although the school is great, they don't seem to be managing the communication with us applicants particularly well so i wouldn't get too nervous yet about not having an invite. Good luck anyway!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, gang. Just to follow up on the int'l loan conversation, I wanted to share an email I just received from the dean:

Quote:
I wanted to take a moment to share an update on our efforts to secure an improved loan program for our international students. Fuqua’s leadership team has been working on a number of fronts to address this issue, and I’m pleased to report positive results that should allay any concerns international students might have about being able to pursue their studies at Fuqua.

First, let there be no uncertainty: Our international students will be able to secure loans for their studies at Fuqua without the need for a U.S. co-signer. We have a solution in hand that will meet students’ needs, with terms similar to those offered for the current academic year.

At the same time, we are part of a consortium of top business schools that is exploring other lender options to ensure international students are getting the best possible loan terms.

Other Options

We have been actively engaged in discussions with banks in China, India, and a number of different regions around the world to identify further appropriate loan programs. These conversations have been fruitful, and negotiations are ongoing.

Further meetings are taking place with U.S. regional banks that have not previously provided international loans, but have expressed interest in our loan proposals and in establishing a relationship with Fuqua.

Yet another option being considered is an internal funding strategy that would utilize our own resources to fund the international loans, should that prove necessary.

Though we have already identified a loan program that will suit the needs of our international students, we continue to consider this range of permanent solutions in order to be certain our students are able to secure the most favorable loan terms available.

Next Steps

I will update you and the rest of the Fuqua community with more complete details on the international loan program when all options have been fully examined. By the end of February, we will be in a position to announce to current and prospective international students a package of loan options for students from different regions with varying borrowing needs.

Fuqua’s global strategy and the strong international contacts that have resulted from that strategy allow us to examine a number of loan programs. In the current challenging economic environment, we’re well positioned to ensure the most favorable loan terms to enable students from around the world to pursue MBA studies at Duke.

Blair
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50