Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.48
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hi RHB,

Thanks for your post, I will go through all of it and post any further question that I may have here.

Thanks again.

regards,
madzy
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Wow, thanks for the help refurb. That was what I was looking for and then some.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi all, I plan to apply EA. I had an opportunity to visit on June 3rd and it was a lot of fun. I went for a walk downtown (so basically 3 blocks) and aside from the lack of a Chipotle, Starbucks, and a cute undergrad coed telling me that my hair was falling out at "really super faster rate" I came away feeling really good about Hanover.

My stats aren't the greatest. A little over a 3.0 from West Point and a little under 700 on the GMAT so I'm studying to retake. We are really going to put that "holistic" evaluation to the test. I'm pretty sure that since visiting I've become a sort of certified Tuck Stalker. I've been researching it quite a bit.

Good luck to all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Gryphon wrote:
Hi all, I plan to apply EA. I had an opportunity to visit on June 3rd and it was a lot of fun. I went for a walk downtown (so basically 3 blocks) and aside from the lack of a Chipotle, Starbucks, and a cute undergrad coed telling me that my hair was falling out at "really super faster rate" I came away feeling really good about Hanover.

My stats aren't the greatest. A little over a 3.0 from West Point and a little under 700 on the GMAT so I'm studying to retake. We are really going to put that "holistic" evaluation to the test. I'm pretty sure that since visiting I've become a sort of certified Tuck Stalker. I've been researching it quite a bit.

Good luck to all.

Research, Research, Research!

Tuck is definitely a program that rewards a comprehensive study and understanding of the program and its culture. I've mentioned the Clear Admit guides a few times now and I'm afraid I might be starting to sound like a salesman, however if you are serious about coming to Tuck then you should take whatever advantage you can. The guides were invaluable to me and I'm sure that they played a big role in my getting a place at the school. The Tuck interview guide was especially useful because it really helped me go into the applicant initiated interview with a solid idea of what would happen and my own agenda of what I wanted to achieve.

Remember Tuck is probably THE fit school. If you can really understand what the culture is like and show how you would slot into it perfectly then you will maximize your chance of success.

Best of luck,

RHB

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Clear Admit, the above is simply my experience with the company.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
RHB wrote:
Gryphon wrote:

Good luck to all.

Research, Research, Research!

Tuck is definitely a program that rewards a comprehensive study and understanding of the program and its culture. I've mentioned the Clear Admit guides a few times now and I'm afraid I might be starting to sound like a salesman, however if you are serious about coming to Tuck then you should take whatever advantage you can. The guides were invaluable to me and I'm sure that they played a big role in my getting a place at the school. The Tuck interview guide was especially useful because it really helped me go into the applicant initiated interview with a solid idea of what would happen and my own agenda of what I wanted to achieve.

Remember Tuck is probably THE fit school. If you can really understand what the culture is like and show how you would slot into it perfectly then you will maximize your chance of success.

Best of luck,

RHB

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Clear Admit, the above is simply my experience with the company.

I would have to agree, although I am just a hard-core Tuck aspirant. In relationship terms, Tuck's the girl that truly wants to be loved for who she is and not what you want her to be. She's not changing herself for you. She doesn't want to be your fallback option if things don't work out with the platinum blonde that is HBS.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Gryphon wrote:

Good luck to all.

You may not want to bother with retaking the GMAT if it's slightly under 700 (680?), especially if your quant is the higher score. Tuck's average GMAT is high but it isn't a GMAT obsessed school. I would just work on the essays and try to hit the interview out of the ballpark.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

Just found this article https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/oct2006/bs20061019_093706.htm, it's a bit old but still relevant with some good descriptions of classes and the atmosphere at Tuck.

I've also written a bit about the On-line MBA Math course on my blog, link in my sig.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
While a 680 may be sufficient to get into Tuck (clearly in the range) I would argue that retaking is still worth it. Reason being, depending on your post-mba career goals, firms like GS and McK prompt for your GMAT score as a general filter. While you can still probably bid for those interview slots on campus, it'll make things a lot easier if you just had a 7XX score. Aside for recruiting, it can't hurt your application either if you have the time to take the exam over. That's just my 2 cents and not worth a whole lot considering I'm also applying to Tuck this year but in doing post-mba research, that GMAT score will stick with you a bit beyond just your academics. Consider the articles and postings by UTexas and such where they encourage students, even if admitted, to retake the exam for a 7XX score due to many schools having no grade disclosure, therefore it's the only way for prospective employers to gauge vs the class. If you're not planning on MBB or GS/MS type of firms, then just ignore and hopefully I'll see you next fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management/Finance
Schools:Tuck (Jan round - Accepted), Darden (R2), Georgetown(R2-interview)
GPA: 3.62
WE 1: Insurance Sales and Marketing, top US firm
WE 2: operations for hospitality/realestate firm
madzy wrote:
Hi,

I am basically interacts in investment management and am looking at schools to apply in the 1st deadline. I wanted to understand from someone the following :

1. How is Tuck's finance program rated?
2. I am 32 hence slightly older than the average MBA entrant. I would like to know whether that would be an issue with Tuck?
3. What are placements at Tuck like? D several finance firms recruit from Tuck? Specially investment management? I understand that networking is extremely essential for IM jobs. That I am willing to do. Which are the regular finance names at Tuck? Any hedge funds in there?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Madly

Madzy,

I will be a first year at Tuck this fall and had similar questions/concerns when I was applying.

Check out Professor Ken French, he focuses on Investment Management. Also, French collaborates with Eugene Fama from U Chicago (very famous finance guy). French is also on the Board of Directors for Dimensional Fund Advisors.
Follow this link to his website:
https://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/faculty/ken.french/
There are many other professors Like French at Tuck, he is just one example.

From a networking/recruiting standpoint you will have no problem as Tuck alum are exceptionally loyal and somewhat paternalistic toward current students.
One big name would be Chris Williams, founder of Williams Capital Group. And check out the website/LinkedIN for top hiring companies.

Hope this helps,

Jay
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Looking forward to applying to Tuck. Was there on June 3rd and really enjoyed the experience. Have a lot of Tuckies at work who loved their time there. Doing my GMATs this weekend.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Tuck2013, eestineiu, and RHB:

No greater demonstration of Tuck's community feeling than you guys helping us out here!!! Love the place for this feeling alone. And this is exactly the reason I am not in favour of Chicago, Columbia or LBS. Staying out in cities by yourself, it is easy to get lost in the usual stuff. The kind of relationships Tuck fosters is the one I am looking after..

Cheers guys for your offer of help....

One question, for you and other internationals here:

We love Tuck, true... but flying all the way across the globe, just to visit Tuck is a bit overboard for everyone... How does this "applicant initiated interview" process work for Internationals....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FrozenTongue wrote:
Tuck2013, eestineiu, and RHB:

No greater demonstration of Tuck's community feeling than you guys helping us out here!!! Love the place for this feeling alone. And this is exactly the reason I am not in favour of Chicago, Columbia or LBS. Staying out in cities by yourself, it is easy to get lost in the usual stuff. The kind of relationships Tuck fosters is the one I am looking after..

Cheers guys for your offer of help....

One question, for you and other internationals here:

We love Tuck, true... but flying all the way across the globe, just to visit Tuck is a bit overboard for everyone... How does this "applicant initiated interview" process work for Internationals....

For me it was no problem, my girlfriend lives in Boston so I'm in the general vicinity of Tuck fairly often.

The only thing that is different about my app is that I actually hadn't been able to get over to Tuck prior to submitting my application and I was advised by one of the current students to call the adcom and explain that and see if I could have the interview sometime after. The adcom were very accommodating and worked with me to sort out an interview. You try getting an adcom at another school to do something different just for you... not going to happen.

Really as an international you have two options:

1 - Telephone / skype interview. Tuck doesn't penalize you for doing this and there are plenty of people who get in in this manner. If you feel you can perform well and represent yourself well in this kind of environment then go for it. If yo do go this route be sure to interact with some current students prior to your interview, Tuck wants to see that you have really taken the time to get to know the school. I did this by targeting some of the clubs I would be interested in joining and sending the presidents emails introducing myself and asking if they would be prepared to have a quick chat about the club and the school, every single one replied positively.

2 - Fly to the States. If you are applying to the several universities in the states then it is well worth the time to take a vacation and visit all the schools you are interested in. For me the trip to Tuck was worth every penny spent. I personally feel that I can represent myself face to face far better than on the phone, and I was able to get a really good feel for the campus. Compared to the overall cost of your MBA the cost of such a trip will be somewhat insignificant, and it will help your entire application, you will write better essays, better understand the school culture, and ultimately have a better chance of getting in.

Hope this helps.

RHB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Reapplicant in for EA, hopefully i get some better luck this time around :)
Current Student
Send PM
Tuck has posted the application/scholarship/interview deadlines. They can also be found on page 1.

https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admission ... ant-dates/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
@RHB,

Thanks for your reply. I hope my inability to fly to US will not show me in bad light... I know that Tuck "fits" my style, and I will be happy joining it. I hope Tuck doesnt weigh my application in negative light just because of logistical difficulties (Visa, time, flight/ time zones) etc.

@Other internationals (Especially Indians like me)

What are you doing?? Can you share inputs from your friends who have tried for Tuck previously?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
For recommendation letters, Is recommender required filled online forms or paper based? Also for each questions in form space is limited. How you guys are approaching this.
Current Student
Send PM
app2012 wrote:
For recommendation letters, Is recommender required filled online forms or paper based? Also for each questions in form space is limited. How you guys are approaching this.

I believe it's all online. The recommender should stick to the required limits if they exist.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts