Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HKUST, INSEAD
 Q37  V34 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V41
WE 1: 8.7 yrs by Aug 2011
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2011-2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
shaselai wrote:
i dont know what the heck is going on with my app anymore... received email saying they got my supporting documents when i uploaded them like in nov... emailed the guy and he told me to chill without elaborating on anything.... o well

I received all sorts of weird notifications too, like they have all my supporting documents (and this was after I had already done my Skype interviews). As long as they didn't say I was missing something, I just kind of disregarded them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nycgirl, congrats!

jan 12 response is pretty tight though.. what about the other applications...

I haven't got anything back yet, apart from the weird notification that they had received all documentation (like anybody else then...)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
berger wrote:
nycgirl, congrats!

I haven't got anything back yet, apart from the weird notification that they had received all documentation (like anybody else then...)

Thanks berger!! :) I only applied to HKUST and INSEAD, so I cannot comment on other schools.

Jan 12th - acceptance deadline + must plunk down a deposit of HK$50,000 (~US$6,400)! So it would potentially leave me in a situation where an acceptance to INSEAD would mean walking away from a substantial chunk of money. :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Int. Business
Schools:HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
GMAT 2: 660  Q39  V41
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Education
Send PM
Congrats on getting in!

I have 12 hours to decide whether or not to write the 7th optional essay or not.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nycgirl191 wrote:
berger wrote:
nycgirl, congrats!

Thanks berger!! :) I only applied to HKUST and INSEAD, so I cannot comment on other schools.

Jan 12th - acceptance deadline + must plunk down a deposit of HK$50,000 (~US$6,400)! So it would potentially leave me in a situation where an acceptance to INSEAD would mean walking away from a substantial chunk of money. :shock:

It would be the best to apply other schools in R1 and HKUST in R2. It is almost impossible to wait for other applications in R2. :? I am stuck in the same situation, too...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UPGRAYEDD wrote:
Congrats on getting in!

I have 12 hours to decide whether or not to write the 7th optional essay or not.....

Optional essay is not optional. Use it to explain the weakest link in your application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats NYCgirl..
Havent heard anything after my interview as yet still!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nycgirl191 wrote:

I'm not yet in that situation, but I can imagine that ... sucks! :(

I can read from your line you'd prefer INSEAD?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
berger wrote:
nycgirl191 wrote:

Actually, I don't, and if I were accepted into INSEAD, I would be quite torn. I prefer HKUST's location (rather than INSEAD's S'pore campus, which I've heard is a corporate office bldg with no real 'campus' feel and is not 1/1000th of Fonty) and the small class size.

However INSEAD has that shiny rep and a massive alumni base, which could prove very useful in the future. It would be a very tough decision!

What about you?
Current Student
Send PM
damn i guess i am dinged... pass your admits to me!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I got everything in on time. Still not really happy about my essays and I want to murder that character limit.

Hopefully I'll get a response as fast as NYCgirl.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
damn i guess i am dinged... pass your admits to me!

When I was talking to the US alumni rep about my application I asked them about how long the wait might be and other potential scenarios. Because I'm applying from a very non-traditional background.

One conversation was about my GMAT scores. The rep was saying because I am from a non-traditional background I might need to raise my quant score a bit. They said it might be a good idea to register for the GMAT again and if I did not get an interview invite by Jan 14th then I should take the test again and then email them the results if I got a higher score.

I asked the reasoning for this and they said that they normally would give a ding before then and if I didn't receive a ding by then it probably meant they were on the fence and a higher score might swing things back in my favor.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Allow me to throw myself into this discussion about HKUST. I submitted my app nearly 2 weeks prior to the R1 deadline with a 760/6.0 and undergrad/grad1/grad2 GPAs of 3.7-3.9 and haven't heard a thing. I am also puzzled why HKUST has been so slow in responding and either inviting me to interview or not. This is especially unnerving because the R2 deadline has just passed and a whole new set of apps are now probably under review. Additionally, CEIBS, with which I have interviewed, is releasing decisions in just a few short days, on the 16th. As for INSEAD, the school is great but the S'pore campus is sterile and dull (I've visited it twice). The real value added bonding happens in Fonty while the S'pore facility is largely just a Club Med for Europeans w/ little experience in Asia to have fun at. The course offerings are paltry compared to Fonty and the experience isn't that Asian. I know some of you have applied to CEIBS. Is there a CEIBS thread on this site that we can chat about CEIBS? Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard although I'm increasingly dubious of my chances at HKUST given the deafening silence from the Admissions Office regarding my app!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nycgirl191 wrote:
berger wrote:
nycgirl191 wrote:

Actually, I don't, and if I were accepted into INSEAD, I would be quite torn. I prefer HKUST's location (rather than INSEAD's S'pore campus, which I've heard is a corporate office bldg with no real 'campus' feel and is not 1/1000th of Fonty) and the small class size.

However INSEAD has that shiny rep and a massive alumni base, which could prove very useful in the future. It would be a very tough decision!

What about you?

I'd be torn between CEIBS and HKUST. CEIBS notifies Dec 16th. HKUST... (either they notify admits earlier and ding later, or it's really just FIFO). For me, the Asia focus is important, so INSEAD was never in scope.
I think INSEAD is certainly a good choice, but then, there's so many consultants there... (class profile).. *yuck*... hehe
Current Student
Send PM
HKUST much better choice imo than CEIBS, especially name recognition. HKUST only international school I applied.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
xuexoa wrote:
Hi all,

Allow me to throw myself into this discussion about HKUST. I submitted my app nearly 2 weeks prior to the R1 deadline with a 760/6.0 and undergrad/grad1/grad2 GPAs of 3.7-3.9 and haven't heard a thing. I am also puzzled why HKUST has been so slow in responding and either inviting me to interview or not. This is especially unnerving because the R2 deadline has just passed and a whole new set of apps are now probably under review. Additionally, CEIBS, with which I have interviewed, is releasing decisions in just a few short days, on the 16th. As for INSEAD, the school is great but the S'pore campus is sterile and dull (I've visited it twice). The real value added bonding happens in Fonty while the S'pore facility is largely just a Club Med for Europeans w/ little experience in Asia to have fun at. The course offerings are paltry compared to Fonty and the experience isn't that Asian. I know some of you have applied to CEIBS. Is there a CEIBS thread on this site that we can chat about CEIBS? Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard although I'm increasingly dubious of my chances at HKUST given the deafening silence from the Admissions Office regarding my app!

now that's a high GMAT score... wow

haven't found a CEIBS thread. re HKUST: weird, but I have finished my application on the day before R1 deadline and have got an invitation for interview. maybe you should check with them?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
HKUST much better choice imo than CEIBS, especially name recognition. HKUST only international school I applied.

True, but the China experience is just different in Mainland China. :)
Ultimately, I like Shanghai as a city better than HK and in the long-term I am pretty convinced that CEIBS will improve on reputation.

Hm... in fact, I am not quite clear yet how I would decide... But right now, it's not my turn to decide :(
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts