GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 15:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Johnson Class of 2017 admits!

Update application status  
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Johnson Class of 2017 admits!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 19:12
Thought I'd start this thread given R1 decisions just came out today!

Congrats everyone! Introduce yourself and say hi to your potential future classmates!!! :-D :-D :-D
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Calling all Johnson Class of 2017 admits!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 13:49
Congrats to everyone admitted to Johnson! 1st-year Johnson student here (c/o 2016)--I haven't logged on to the gmatclub since arriving in Ithaca in the fall, but I had to check in and see how everyone is doing. I'm happy to answer any questions and give you an honest opinion as you explore your options. And, whatever you do, try your damnedest to attend Destination Johnson in April! Nothing gives you clarity like actually meeting and spending time with your possible future classmates.
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 05:35
mbamyway wrote:
Congrats to everyone admitted to Johnson! 1st-year Johnson student here (c/o 2016)--I haven't logged on to the gmatclub since arriving in Ithaca in the fall, but I had to check in and see how everyone is doing. I'm happy to answer any questions and give you an honest opinion as you explore your options. And, whatever you do, try your damnedest to attend Destination Johnson in April! Nothing gives you clarity like actually meeting and spending time with your possible future classmates.

Thanks mbamyway !

By the way an interesting article on the new curriculum was just posted on P&Q. http://poetsandquants.com/2015/02/08/cornell-revamps-its-two-year-mba-program/

Can you add any input on how you think the new curriculum is fairing so far?

Also, when's a good time to start looking for roommates and housing? My plan was to wait until May/June after I've met a few more classmates to start nailing this down. And do any of the places in the Destination Johnson Housing Guide offer 10-month leases?
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 08:13
dtse86 wrote:

Thanks mbamyway !

By the way an interesting article on the new curriculum was just posted on P&Q. http://poetsandquants.com/2015/02/08/cornell-revamps-its-two-year-mba-program/

Can you add any input on how you think the new curriculum is fairing so far?

Also, when's a good time to start looking for roommates and housing? My plan was to wait until May/June after I've met a few more classmates to start nailing this down. And do any of the places in the Destination Johnson Housing Guide offer 10-month leases?

I have been none other than impressed with the new core curriculum at Johnson. Each course is integrated with and builds off others. Your accounting professor will know what you are learning in econ and will bring up topics that are relevant in that day's class. I can't personally compare the new curriculum to how it used to be (of course), but from what I hear from 2nd years, the new organization makes a lot more sense compared to how it was before.

There are still kinks* being worked out, but professors and administrators are extremely open to feedback from students. In some classes, written feedback is encouraged after every session, and each session starts with a response to the feedback gathered the session before. The level of sincerity and care the professors have at Cornell is so impressive. They really want you to learn. When I was looking at bschools, curriculum and professors were actually low priorities on my list (I was much more concerned with career services, placement, etc.), but I don't think Johnson faculty get the credit they deserve.

*One kink: An extremely popular critical thinking elective that was always overbooked in the past was worked into the core curriculum so every student got the chance to take it. Due to the discussion-focused nature of the class, each section had to be small and multiple professors ended up teaching the same course. Each student's experience with it varied depending on what professor they had. And with fuzzy topics like critical thinking, there was some disagreement about how grades were given. I'm guessing (I'm not sure about this!) that students in the past often took the course pass/fail as an elective and avoided the confusion of grades.

Re: housing--If you go to DJ, you'll have the chance to take a housing tour and visit the most popular buildings that MBA students live in. I think some students find their roommates at DJ or through your class's Facebook group. Some people sign leases at DJ, too, but that's certainly not necessary. I'm not sure about the 10-month lease; I'd guess that's not an option. There's certainly a lot of summer subletting that goes on in Ithaca, seeing it's a college town.
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.04

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 08:30
Once you’ve received an admit decision, how long until you are notified of whether or not you'll receive scholarship money?
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 08:35
mjordan11 wrote:
Once you’ve received an admit decision, how long until you are notified of whether or not you'll receive scholarship money?

For me I received a notification about a week after I was accepted that I was put onto a "scholarship waitlist". I'm assuming they reviewed scholarships awards after distributing acceptances.

I would guess the week after a decision deadline, they'll get together again to determine scholarship awards.

Disclaimer: This is merely my speculation based on the information I've seen.
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.04

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 08:51
dtse86 wrote:
mjordan11 wrote:

For me I received a notification about a week after I was accepted that I was put onto a "scholarship waitlist". I'm assuming they reviewed scholarships awards after distributing acceptances.

I would guess the week after a decision deadline, they'll get together again to determine scholarship awards.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking and hoping!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 3: 610 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.46
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 16:04
u going to johnson for sure mjordan? What if Goizueta gives you the Consortium fellowship?

mjordan11 wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
mjordan11 wrote:

Thanks! That's what I was thinking and hoping!
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 16:21
wow, this thread is shorter than i'd expect!
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 16:52
well there hasn't been too much to discuss since DJ is in April and I know there has been a lot of activity on the https://gmatclub.com/chat group that was created

@angelfire123 how much activity were you expecting here by the way :-P ?
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 03:08
my fault.

just realized this is the ADMIT thread. thought it was applicant...and was confused.
dtse86 wrote:
well there hasn't been too much to discuss since DJ is in April and I know there has been a lot of activity on the https://gmatclub.com/chat group that was created

@angelfire123 how much activity were you expecting here by the way :-P ?
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 04:02
Actually, this thread was replaced with another one. Admitted to Cornell Johnson Class of 2017

To reduce confusion before the R2 accepted applicants get their offers, I'm going to lock this thread.

All admits congrats! Please go to the link above to access the official admit thread. :thanks
Calling all Johnson Class of 2017 admits!   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2015, 04:02

Calling all Johnson Class of 2017 admits!

Update application status  

Moderators: vinayakvaish, chanjaso