Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink]
yes
this is exactly what i want to say from heart
I definitely want to go the one i love best
I do not think it is good for either of us if I choose a school just because someone is there。。。。

swgator13 wrote:
I know you already know this but it's worth hearing from others - B school is your choice alone. Try not to let others affect your decision (friends, boyfriend/girlfriend, parents, etc.)

littleflower wrote:
Thank you man:)

by the way are you JP?
I can speak good Japanese:)
seems you do not like to carry any debt
but my friends all want me to go for Rice
location is better than Vandy blabla
and of course it is mainly coz my boyfriend is now in Houston

kawasaki wrote:
Congratulations on all your options! Definitely good problem to have. Did you attend Diversity Preview of Rice by chance? The schools you applied to were the same ones a guy I met applied to. Anyways to your question...personally, I'll rather incur no debt than amass $50K or more in debt. Besides, in consulting there is no guarantee that you'll work in Houston, your client can be wherever. My advice - choose Owen, network like crazy during b school to get a consulting offer. You can always transfer from any office to the Houston office of the consulting firm.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone know the reason there is twice as many applicants this year than last according to the 2012 & 2013 threads? I wonder if this reflects an increase in the total apps to the school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
swgator13 wrote:
Anyone know the reason there is twice as many applicants this year than last according to the 2012 & 2013 threads? I wonder if this reflects an increase in the total apps to the school.

There is an increase of applicants across the board (from what I hear). Is it a 100% increase? I couldn't say. But it is substantial at other schools as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
gtg279v wrote:
swgator13 wrote:

There is an increase of applicants across the board (from what I hear). Is it a 100% increase? I couldn't say. But it is substantial at other schools as well.

A reflection of more people utilizing online forums at least.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
Send PM
Rice drops to #30 in the rankings, meanwhile U of Washington jumps from #35 to #23 right after I withdraw my application and cancel my interview...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
brendxn wrote:
Rice drops to #30 in the rankings, meanwhile U of Washington jumps from #35 to #23 right after I withdraw my application and cancel my interview...

Did USN change their methodology this year? I wonder why the slip. Not that I care too much since it's placement in my interested field is as strong as the best of 'em in my area.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah its just a ranking, only one aspect of looking at schools. I was wondering the same thing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
Send PM
brendxn wrote:

Oh, no! Your life is totally going to suck now if you go to a school ranked out of the top 25. Don't go if you're that concerned.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
histgirl wrote:
gtg279v wrote:
swgator13 wrote:

A reflection of more people utilizing online forums at least.

haha!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
brendxn wrote:

Why would you even withdraw an application & cancel your interview? Even if accepted to your #1??

Its all about spreading your seed, man!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-17-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
littleflower wrote:
hi guys!

congs to all admitted

I need your any opinions pls
for international student who wants to work in Houston in consulting
dose it looks silly to go to Vandy with full scholarship instead of Rice with 50% scholarship?

and any ideas for the same one choosing among

Owen 100% Vs Rice 50% Vs Emory little $ Vs Darden no scholarship?

Thank you so much!

Hey, I am working through the same analysis right now (until I hear from Tepper...). I think that both programs are incredibly strong and you will be successful no matter where you go. I feel the main considerations you need to keep in mind are what are your career goals , geographic preference, fit and brand recognition. If you are dead set on living and working in Houston, then you may be better off going to Rice. Staying in the city will provide you good networking opportunities. Consider that ~91% of Rice graduates find employment in the south, whereas Vandy places 39% of its graduates in the South and the rest throughout the country. Rice places 40% of its graduates in Oil and Gas (I would assume that this value is more like 60% if you include other industries you may work for but within Oil and Gas - OG Consulting). Vandy places 26% of its grads into consulting (Rice 19%). As I look through their employment report, there is a lot of overlap with the consulting companies that pick up grads, but Vandy has a greater population of different consulting companies on its list. Vanderbilt has a very good human capital and finance programs. Rice has good finance and management consulting programs. Just what I gather from my own research.

If you plan to stay in Houston in the long term, the Rice name may benefit you as it has such profound recognition in the South. If you plan to live in different areas in the future, Vanderbilt may carry greater recognition throughout the country. Although both are incredible institutions, the feedback I have received is that outside of the South the Vanderbilt name may carry a heavier weight. True or not, I am not sure.

I was offered more from Rice than Vandy. I am trying not to allow finances make the decision for me because a few years down the road, the debt will be paid off. I feel you should go where you fell you will be the best fit. If you think you will enjoy the experience more at one school, then you should go there and not have any regrets about it. In all reality, if you are wanting to work in consulting in Houston but are swaying towards taking advantage of your scholarship offer, don't worry because you can find your way back to Houston. If you set out with those specific intentions, you will make it happen. I really enjoyed my visits to both Rice and Vandy, the facilities at Rice are incredibly nice!

Not sure if this helps... Just follow your heart. I have moved a lot for my job and my friends and partner have always been there for me so don't worry too much about that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-17-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
swgator13 wrote:
brendxn wrote:

Did USN change their methodology this year? I wonder why the slip. Not that I care too much since it's placement in my interested field is as strong as the best of 'em in my area.

No kidding, I don't understand how schools can fluctuate that much from year to year. I think that it is bogus and the tie thing is absolute nonsense. I wouldn't make a decision on USN rankings.... next year Rice may be 20 or 40... (yeah, I know there are metrics behind it all)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
destroyerofgmat wrote:
brendxn wrote:

Oh, no! Your life is totally going to suck now if you go to a school ranked out of the top 25. Don't go if you're that concerned.

I was just joking.. planning on attending Rice and likely would have done so either way. Let's leave the trolling for the youtube commenters.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gtg279v wrote:
brendxn wrote:

Why would you even withdraw an application & cancel your interview? Even if accepted to your #1??

Its all about spreading your seed, man!

Yeah, looking back I would probably handle it differently (though it was hard to anticipate such a drastic change in rankings). With acceptance to Rice (one of my top choices) with interviews at UT and USC, I no longer saw it as a realistic option. Because I was informed of my interview time at the last second, it was going to cost upwards of $1,000 for the 2 day trip, and I decided to save on the travel expenses and apply the money toward my deposit to Rice. Should have switched over to a Skype interview just to keep the door open. I'd still definitely prefer Rice to U of W hands down.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
brendxn wrote:
I'd still definitely prefer Rice to U of W hands down.

That's enough of a reason! Congrats for acceptance to a great school. I was denied, so I'm going to UT-Houston.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gtg279v wrote:
brendxn wrote:
I'd still definitely prefer Rice to U of W hands down.

That's enough of a reason! Congrats for acceptance to a great school. I was denied, so I'm going to UT-Houston.

Congrats. I went to Texas for undergrad and I've heard nothing but great things about their MBA programs. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the courses I took within the business school
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi you are so nice
thank you for such long response!! it helpes a lot!

deep down my heart i do not want finance to be a problem, so I know Rice is a good choice
I would like to live and work in Houston in th long run COZ my boyfriend might be working there with 80% possibility(so i am worrying the what if part)
I dont know much about Vandy...I visited rice and yes facilities are great and campus is beautiful. The advantages you mentioned might be ture when it comes to domestic students
but for international students thing are really different.

I am most concerned about the placement now:
forget the getting together with boyfriend thing , which school is exactly placing more opportunities for international students
how many international students are really working in consulting and O&G(I heared O&G giants dont sponsor H1B) industry...
will it be rather difficult if I study in Owen and go back to Houston for job
how is the placement and employment within 3 mons of international students like(the career report is meaningless when one wants to knoa what happened to tudents coming from the same country....)

I am doing research but the data is hard to get..

HPmba2015 wrote:
littleflower wrote:
hi guys!

congs to all admitted

I need your any opinions pls
for international student who wants to work in Houston in consulting
dose it looks silly to go to Vandy with full scholarship instead of Rice with 50% scholarship?

and any ideas for the same one choosing among

Owen 100% Vs Rice 50% Vs Emory little $ Vs Darden no scholarship?

Thank you so much!

Hey, I am working through the same analysis right now (until I hear from Tepper...). I think that both programs are incredibly strong and you will be successful no matter where you go. I feel the main considerations you need to keep in mind are what are your career goals , geographic preference, fit and brand recognition. If you are dead set on living and working in Houston, then you may be better off going to Rice. Staying in the city will provide you good networking opportunities. Consider that ~91% of Rice graduates find employment in the south, whereas Vandy places 39% of its graduates in the South and the rest throughout the country. Rice places 40% of its graduates in Oil and Gas (I would assume that this value is more like 60% if you include other industries you may work for but within Oil and Gas - OG Consulting). Vandy places 26% of its grads into consulting (Rice 19%). As I look through their employment report, there is a lot of overlap with the consulting companies that pick up grads, but Vandy has a greater population of different consulting companies on its list. Vanderbilt has a very good human capital and finance programs. Rice has good finance and management consulting programs. Just what I gather from my own research.

If you plan to stay in Houston in the long term, the Rice name may benefit you as it has such profound recognition in the South. If you plan to live in different areas in the future, Vanderbilt may carry greater recognition throughout the country. Although both are incredible institutions, the feedback I have received is that outside of the South the Vanderbilt name may carry a heavier weight. True or not, I am not sure.

I was offered more from Rice than Vandy. I am trying not to allow finances make the decision for me because a few years down the road, the debt will be paid off. I feel you should go where you fell you will be the best fit. If you think you will enjoy the experience more at one school, then you should go there and not have any regrets about it. In all reality, if you are wanting to work in consulting in Houston but are swaying towards taking advantage of your scholarship offer, don't worry because you can find your way back to Houston. If you set out with those specific intentions, you will make it happen. I really enjoyed my visits to both Rice and Vandy, the facilities at Rice are incredibly nice!

Not sure if this helps... Just follow your heart. I have moved a lot for my job and my friends and partner have always been there for me so don't worry too much about that.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts