Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
Ok now that is B****Y scary !

leave a stable job - get a debt - get a MBA - go back home ! Really gets me thinking !

Yes it is. I have a friend who returned to India with 120 K debt and was forced to declare bankruptcy and that ruined his almost entire life. This guy was working with an MNC in India and after he came back to India with a Kellog MBA, he was offered positions at almost the same level.

I guess for Indian applicants, the risk is certainly there so what I did was get Australian immigration first and now going to US for MBA with back up in hand. I can at least pay off my debt if I don't get a work visa.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
jeez ! which school did ur friend graduate from ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
jeez ! which school did ur friend graduate from ?

Kellogg which happens to be in Top 3 schools.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Australia has a separate work visa scheme with the US. If you are a citizen, you can investigate the E3 visa. There are 20,000 of these available only to Australian citizens.

financeguy wrote:
grad_mba wrote:
Ok now that is B****Y scary !

leave a stable job - get a debt - get a MBA - go back home ! Really gets me thinking !

Yes it is. I have a friend who returned to India with 120 K debt and was forced to declare bankruptcy and that ruined his almost entire life. This guy was working with an MNC in India and after he came back to India with a Kellog MBA, he was offered positions at almost the same level.

I guess for Indian applicants, the risk is certainly there so what I did was get Australian immigration first and now going to US for MBA with back up in hand. I can at least pay off my debt if I don't get a work visa.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
Australia has a separate work visa scheme with the US. If you are a citizen, you can investigate the E3 visa. There are 20,000 of these available only to Australian citizens.

No I am a resident and not a citizen and will probably never be able to stay here to 2 yrs continuously to get an Australian Passport.

Are you in Australia currently or in US?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in australia.

financeguy wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

No I am a resident and not a citizen and will probably never be able to stay here to 2 yrs continuously to get an Australian Passport.

Are you in Australia currently or in US?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm in either for Chicago or Kellogg for R2 most likely. I want to do them R1, but 10/20 submit date is just way too early
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do any of you guys think that some body with a market research background, with experience at one of the top firms, will have some preference at Kellogg?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:
Do any of you guys think that some body with a market research background, with experience at one of the top firms, will have some preference at Kellogg?

Not sure about preference but he will have competition from Retail/FMCG guys.. one of the most competitive sector.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Count me in for R2. Would have liked to make it for R1 but I doubt I can make it on time.

BTW, anyone can confirm that Kellogg has a rolling admission process ? That's what an alumnus told me and I wanted to have that confirmed.

Cheers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:

I would think that anything related to marketing would be a tougher segment to apply out of. Since Kellogg is considered the best marketing school in the world chances are that it recieves a lot of very qualified people from that field. Though it definitely makes it easier to answer why Kellogg...plus they can safely assume for a lot of those people they are the top choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CerealsMBA wrote:
Count me in for R2. Would have liked to make it for R1 but I doubt I can make it on time.

BTW, anyone can confirm that Kellogg has a rolling admission process ? That's what an alumnus told me and I wanted to have that confirmed.

Cheers.

Think of it more as a "rolling decisions process". They hold a deadline by which you need to apply/they render their decision, but will let you know in advance if they're at that point.

(kellogg admit)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
kharma wrote:
Think of it more as a "rolling decisions process". They hold a deadline by which you need to apply/they render their decision, but will let you know in advance if they're at that point.

(kellogg admit)

Hopefully lots of schools do this. It would be nice to get accepted by a top school quickly in R1 so then R2 I wouldn't have to worry about my backup schools or even any schools at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have cold feet after reading these lines although I've talked extensively with the Career Service and read some articles like this to keep me calm https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... _bs001.htm

IMO, Kellogg or Chicago is worth your investment so just close your eyes and follow your heart. I do not know the guy coming back to India in the article, but I think his case was very exceptional and not so many. We need to have a deep analysis for his case. I know news reporters.

riverripper wrote:
I think that warning may stem from the problems that I read about all over the BW forum this spring about recent grads getting hired but then not getting visas. I am not an international applicant so its not an issue with me though I could see someone being scared off by that. I dont think they are telling you they wont accept you...they are just warning you that you may take 125K of debt and will have to leave the country for your home country where the pay will be far less.

I am planning a trip to Chicago this fall to visit both Kellogg and Chicago. I haven't decided if I am going to apply to one or both yet. Though I have found some courses at Kellogg that are really appealing for what I want to do.

As of right now I am working on my Kellogg R1 application. I am glad I got my GMAT out of the way right around when all the applications were released...now I just have to keep plugging away. The people I have volunteered to be my essay editors are going to be helpful so I dont want to load them up all at once.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kellogg was on my original list. However, since I am very weak in community service and my list of schools was getting too long, I cut Kellogg. I am still planning to visit Kellogg when I go to visit Chicago, so maybe I will have a change of heart. It just seemed like too much effort to invest on a school unlikely to admit me, and maybe not a great fit anyway.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree, this way if I find out about UCLA early, I can just stop applying to Kellogg or Chicago (unless I just feel like it.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
kharma wrote:

(kellogg admit)

Hopefully lots of schools do this. It would be nice to get accepted by a top school quickly in R1 so then R2 I wouldn't have to worry about my backup schools or even any schools at all.

I used to think that was a good thing too. The truth is, its much much much worse with schools who do it this way.... its so evil. The problem is that you start hearing that people are getting calls .... and then ... unless you are lucky enough to get a call early in the process, you spend the next week, two weeks, three weeks, even four weeks watching other people get admits while you bite your nails... (waitlist here)

Compare that to schools that release all decisions in one or two days -- and you have maybe 8 to 16 hours of nail biting frustration as the boards explode with admits. For that one day - every buzz on your blackberry, every time the phone rings, you jump a little bit inside. But its only for one day, or maybe two at the most. Imagine that for a month instead..

Rolling admissions is worse.

Its the difference between tearing off a bandaid once quickly and tearing it off slowly every day.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  100