Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
For Leverandon

For all we know, it was some mistake by a kid in IT pressing the wrong button.
--- Who gave you this information?

But.... do you really think that someone deserves to lose their job over it?

For Manbehindthecurtain

"Emotional torture?"
Really?
-- Yes Really. I don't care if I get an outright reject. But here you get an email saying ur accepted. You start thinking about possibilities and then everything is just snatched away.

But you know what? If I don't get in, I will keep going, and I won't blame anyone else for the result.

-- Manbehindthecurtain I am not blaming anyone. If they had sent me an email stating a reject in the first place and then If I was saying the person from adcom should resign it would be called blaming. If your working on a trading desk and instead of hitting a buy button for 100K MSFT stocks at a lower price you land up hitting 100K sell button for a lower price
I have seen people being let go for that.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
yeah, but have you seen the manager of another department let go over it? especially when they went out of their way and instituted special measures to sort it out the best they could?

I think not
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Who ever did that mistake was let go...I am 100% sure they did not see his designation....
btw he was an Associate at our desk[higher designation than me]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sbs wrote:

Do you think Beth Flye actually runs the online system and sends out the mass emails? Incase you aren't sure...she doesn't. She will take the hit on this but she wasn't the one who hit submit.

sbs wrote:
-- Manbehindthecurtain I am not blaming anyone. If they had sent me an email stating a reject in the first place and then If I was saying the person from adcom should resign it would be called blaming. If your working on a trading desk and instead of hitting a buy button for 100K MSFT stocks at a lower price you land up hitting 100K sell button for a lower price

But do they fire the MD who was above that button pusher? No.

I dont think anyone is debating that its a completely terrible situation and you definitely have a right to be pissed off. I know I would be too if I were in your shoes. However, you dont know what happened on their end, whose at fault and what is going to be happening to that person. Do you really want someone to lose their career over this? You never made a mistake at work or in real life? I sure hope you aren't my boss with a trigger finger that is that happy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hold on Beth has not called everyone...I have tried to call up 3 times today. They were not giving me any information. I said atleast tell me if i am rejected or not. I want ask why/who messed up etc..but no ans at all...so the wikipedia saying she calle d up everyone is FALSE.....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
I think its fair to be angry. But Im not sure its best to vent your anger on the board, to the people who had nothing to do with it.

Hopefully Beth gives you a call. And you can let her know your frustration. But until she does, and you don't know what her response might be (and you don't even know you were officially rejected), I think its better to reserve too much judgement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sbs wrote:
Nothing personal but I am happy that you are not working for a hard ass team in wall street. Its not the best
place for you. I guess it has always been a hire and fire policy for me and may be I am just used to it.

Yeah well we've all seen how well the "wall street" approach to management has ended up for our society in the past few years... Keep at it... sheesh.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Again.. let's move on guys. SBS - we feel for you, and it is a dreadful situation, but debasing the forum because of that frustration doesn't accomplish or change anything.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Quick, somebody lock this thread!!! (Kidding, of course)

To all you guys who got caught up in this admit/ding email confusion: Keep your heads up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
sbs wrote:
Hold on Beth has not called everyone...I have tried to call up 3 times today. They were not giving me any information. I said atleast tell me if i am rejected or not. I want ask why/who messed up etc..but no ans at all...so the wikipedia saying she calle d up everyone is FALSE.....

Thats true. I waited the whole day and then late night (International Applicant) to get some information from them. Nothing so far.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
You're right you do need to reserve that frustration because every conflict has always been resolved by getting angry upset and insisting on someone's death/resignation. If you are rejected and think about applying again next year, hope they don't mark on your file "The guy that said Beth should resign." I'd like to see your success chances with that memory in the adcom's minds.

"Note to self: Does not handle bad news well."

sbs wrote:
I need to reserve some of my frustration for the adcom when/if they call...else would have
love to reply to Manbehindthecurtain....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sbs wrote:
For Leverandon

But.... do you really think that someone deserves to lose their job over it?

For Manbehindthecurtain

"Emotional torture?"
Really?
-- Yes Really. I don't care if I get an outright reject. But here you get an email saying ur accepted. You start thinking about possibilities and then everything is just snatched away.

But you know what? If I don't get in, I will keep going, and I won't blame anyone else for the result.

If a doctor makes a mistake and kills someone, he is held repsonsible and they have a huge meeting figuring ways he/she could have done things differently. Kellogg is an elite business school and there is no quality control?! That's unprofessional. I dont think anyone should lose their job, but yes, it was torture for 24 hours not knowing your fate. yes, not along the lines of waterboarding, but yes, I put hours and hours and weeks and months into my application and my future was riding on it and to have that given to me and then unceremoniously stripped away was mentally anguishing and torturous. Manbehindthecurtain please dont think you know what that's like. It's called empathy and walking a mile in someone else's shoes. You should be ashamed of yourself for being so insensitive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
Again.. let's move on guys. SBS - we feel for you, and it is a dreadful situation, but debasing the forum because of that frustration doesn't accomplish or change anything.

I completely agree with sam77sam7. Let's please move on. I have stopped browsing through BW forums because some chats there get too frustrated and personal if not downright abusive. Let's not do that to this forum please. I've found GMAT club extremely helpful and collaborative in nature, rather a reflection of what I'd expect from a good B school.

ATB to the guys who've been a part of this mishap. Let's hope this turns out all for the best, and you get admitted to an even better school.

Question

Can someone tell me w.r.t the academic distinctions that we need to fill in for Part I of the applications, if this is restricted to specific scholarships or awards, or can being in the top 2 percentile in college also be a part of it? Also, can we include academic honors (specific ones) we've received in high school?

Thanks...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I'd advise you to stay away from high school stuff. But, I think top 2 percentile in college should be included.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Gil wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Internationals in timezones very different than central time will often get emails. Usually those emails specify they didnt call you because of the time change (I believe Gil got one of those). However, if you are in the US you will get calls. Unknown status 95% of the time means ding but occasionally someone does get in after that (no change in that).

River is correct. I got an e-mail. It was abviously personal and not machine generated.

The E-mail is titled "Congratulations from Kellogg".

Gil : Can you share your profile please ?

I am really sorry for the people with admit + reject fiasco. I can understand what it feels like.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Mclaughlin wrote:
If a doctor makes a mistake and kills someone, he is held repsonsible and they have a huge meeting figuring ways he/she could have done things differently. Kellogg is an elite business school and there is no quality control?! That's unprofessional. I dont think anyone should lose their job, but yes, it was torture for 24 hours not knowing your fate. yes, not along the lines of waterboarding, but yes, I put hours and hours and weeks and months into my application and my future was riding on it and to have that given to me and then unceremoniously stripped away was mentally anguishing and torturous. Manbehindthecurtain please dont think you know what that's like. It's called empathy and walking a mile in someone else's shoes. You should be ashamed of yourself for being so insensitive.

Mclaughlin, I feel incredibly badly for you - your post a few pages back was very saddening. I think most of our comments were directed at those individuals who seemingly wanted blood, not sympathy.

The situation sucks, no doubt about it, and I think I speak for everyone when I say we feel horrible for you.

As an aside, given what has happened in the last few years, I don't think torture is quite the right analogy. That said, I'm sure it was wrenching, and you have my full sympathies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Gil wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Internationals in timezones very different than central time will often get emails. Usually those emails specify they didnt call you because of the time change (I believe Gil got one of those). However, if you are in the US you will get calls. Unknown status 95% of the time means ding but occasionally someone does get in after that (no change in that).

River is correct. I got an e-mail. It was abviously personal and not machine generated.

The E-mail is titled "Congratulations from Kellogg".

I had something similar, explicitly saying they did not call because of time zone issues.

The title is "Kellogg congratulates you" and it may well be a standard one, I guess.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  65   66   67   68   69  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts