Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [7]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [6]
Concentration: Supply Chain Consulting
Schools:HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, Haas, Columbia
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
OK just called the admissions office and asked "are rejections/waitlists being notified now or will they be only notified on the 20th"
According to them, they are notifying candidates who were waitlisted/rejected even now...does not mean just because you have been rejected, they wont inform you till the 20th! Phew..
That means, if you have not heard yet ~ they have not made any decision about your case! Once they make a decision, you will hear!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
Kudos
This is what too much free time will yield. To those interested, this is the break down of the decisions from R1. Who knows if R2 will follow a similar pattern but it's kinda interesting to look at. Results were spread out over 7 days with the majority of activity for admits and denials during days 3/4/5.

Release Day_____ Admits____Denials____Waitlists
_____1____________19.4%______0.0%________0.0%
_____2____________14.5%______1.9%________0.0%
_____3____________29.0%_____18.9%________0.0%
_____4____________27.4%_____39.6%________0.0%
_____5_____________6.5%_____22.6%________0.0%
_____6_____________0.0%_____13.2%________0.0%
_____7_____________3.2%______3.8%______100.0%

Percents of GMATClub Totals

Originally posted by ke18sb on 15 Mar 2011, 08:17.
Last edited by ke18sb on 15 Mar 2011, 08:29, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NABA, AKA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Concentration: Investment Management, Wealth Management, Commercial Banking
Schools:Booth (Accepted + 60K!), Kellogg (Accepted + 70K!), Stanford (Ding), Duke (Withdrawn)
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Kudos
JUST GOT THE CALL FROM DEENA WILLIAMS. IM IN!!!!!!!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I would never try to persuade anyone from applying for any school they want since in reality you can only do it once. However, you need to remember that things change year to year and people who easily could get into HBS in year X may not now. Application volume is way up at most schools and yield has improved too. I suggest apply to any school you want to attend since you dont want to live with what if's...especially if you have a dream of doing something like PE or HF.

For example at Kellogg this is how things have changed over the last 4 years.
Kellogg Classes of: 2008 / 2012
Total Number of Applicants: 4,526 / 5,826
Avg. GMAT: 703 / 714
Applicants with <700 GMATs: 38% / 35%
Enrolled Students with <700 GMATs: 41% / 26%

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/admissions/images/FactsFigures_06.pdf
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/Applying/~/media/Files/FTMBA/FTMBA_FactsFigures-2010.ashx

As for the eyebrow raising factor of senior management with brands it is definitely true that HBS will impress far more than almost any other school. Remember most of these people are in their 50s-60s. Their generation people went to b-school at an earlier age, almost everyone had less than 2 years experience and the vast majority had no work experience. So you are looking at people who did their MBA's in the mid 70s to the early 80s. Back then HBS was far and away the greatest school and there were far fewer legitimate alternatives. Wharton, Tuck, etc. were great programs but far fewer people were getting MBA's and it was no where near as comptetive as it is now. Many people who got their MBA's from HBS in 1975 wouldn't even be interviewed today. The growth of MBA programs and the number of schools offering them has been explosive, as have the number of people what want them. Just think Yale didn't even start their MBA program until the mid to late 1970s and many schools have doubled or tripled the size of their fulltime programs.

It will be interesting to see how programs stack up in 20 years, there seems to have been a greater leveling of the playing field. Heck you may see schools like John Hopkins moving up to big name status, and maybe some big name schools like Princeton will be offering MBA's (they do add to the prestige of universities). Also, I think senior managers then will have far different views of various MBA's than the current regimes. I dont see the same sense awe from younger people as I do from the old guard when it comes to HBS...heck some people our age have down right negative opinions of the school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Concentration: Strategy,Finance,Marketing
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
vixer wrote:
I have searched high and low, but can anyone let me know what the recommendation questions are for Kellogg? I am torn between Kellogg and Booth for Round 2 and if I could make it easier for my recommenders that would be huge...

Thanks in advance.

1. Please comment on the candidate's career performance. Cite specific examples where possible. (e.g. ranking relative to others in the industry, overall progression within the organization, impact on organization)
2. Please evaluate the candidate's demonstrated leadership and leadership potential (e.g. ability to influence others, initiative, contribution beyond expected responsibilities )
3. What do you perceive to be the candidate's weaknesses? What efforts has he or she made to address these weaknesses?
4. What observations do you have about the candidate's interpersonal skills? (e.g. maturity, listening skills, team skills, sense of humor, respect for different viewpoints.)
5. Please comment on the candidate's intellectual ability (e.g. analytical and quantitative skills, communication skills, creativity, curiosity)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
2011App wrote:
So please, if you're at work or at home waiting anxiously, post your thoughts here:
- Did you mistake a muscle spasm for a blackberry email notification of getting dinged? post it
- Did you receive a call from an unidentified number only to find out it was your mom learning how to use Skype phone? post it
- Did you spill coffee all over your desk when you saw an email from Kellogg only to discover that they were only advertising the geogrpahic and ethnic diversity of its alumni base? post it

I was eating Kellogg's Frosted Flakes this morning and mistook the "prize" inside the cereal box as a sign from Kellogg AdCom that I was accepted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
Kudos
traveler wrote:
does everyone's status still say:

All the required elements of your application are complete.

If your interview has been completed, the application has been submitted for review to the admissions committee. If your interview has not been conducted, the application will be submitted to the admissions committee upon completion of the interview. The next status check update will be the admission decision (Admit, Waitlist or Deny). When a decision has been rendered, the Office of Admissions will send you an email notifying you to check your status for your decision. Decisions will be released throughout the round, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last several weeks of the round.

I attached a picture of the letter that they sent me.
Attachments

win.jpg
win.jpg [ 40.8 KiB | Viewed 5469 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg (accepted!), HBS (ding w/int), Wharton (WL R1, accepted R2!!)
Send PM
Kudos
So, the alum who wrote one of my recs called an adcom member. Here's what they said:

1. It's a slower process than people understand
2. Admits will be coming out until the 20th
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [3]
Given Kudos: 32
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
Michael Geneser called me while I was at lunch. IM IN!!!!!!!!! So pumped. Also, my wife finally got back in touch with Beth-so-Flye, she's in too W/ A BIG SCHOLARSHIP! Very life changing.

We both interviewed on 9/27 and submitted the day of or day before the deadline. I have no idea why they've been making me sweat it out these last two days but now I'm SO pleased.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Send PM
Kudos

UPDATED R1 ROLL-CALL

Aiiiight here it is. I updated the roll call starting from page 39 of this thread.

185 applicants
60 acceptances (Most went out on Friday Dec 10, 2010)
49 dings (Most went out Monday Dec 13, 2010 in the early morning)
0 Waitlist

I compiled all the names on a google document roughly copied from the Yale page. Admits and dings, please add your relevant information to it.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvIY3hh7tYG1dHhxbTBQUFMwdElMZGJiUkdzaWhkckE&hl=en&authkey=CL6k9LIF

Can someone tell me how to add an iframe to this post so it'll show up here?

Good luck everyone!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools:Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
GMAT 2: 720
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
My interview:

I met with the alum at a Coffee-shop on a Saturday morning. He was a young alum (09) and was already in the coffee shop though I was fifteen minutes early. He swung by right on time and joined me on my table. After some quick casual chat about the city, he said it was really informal, he wanted to make it quick and easy and just learn of why I wanted to attend Kellogg. He was extremely disarming and did not even crack open my resume since I'd sent it the previous night. My pad-folio stayed shut and we just spoke. Interview was about forty minutes though formal questions was just 30 mins. (note: my interviewer was a consultant and his style was very unique - well worded questions with very interesting open ended structure)

[list=]Tell me about yourself.
What was your (current) employer like
Why the career shift/path thus far
How has your role / leadership / work experience changed across the years
Has seniority led to anything unique in experience/learning?
Why MBA, Why Now?
Why Kellogg among all schools?
What do you want to do at Kellogg and what do you want to be your legacy?
What kind of leaders do you not enjoy working with/for
When have you had to change leadership style/approach?
GMAT + application + transcript says something about you - what is missing that you would like to add?
Questions?
[/list]
I asked about his most memorable experience of Kellogg & also how he felt about entrepreneurship (Since he expressed interest in E, but longer term). That evolved into a 10 minute conversation deep-dive on how b-schools are structured - typical consulting type analysis and we resonated a bit. Time will tell if that leads to an admit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Schools:Ross(Admit), Marriott(Admit), McCombs(WL-declined), Darden(ding), Kellogg(ding), Anderson(ding)
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
Days81 wrote:
I visited Kellogg last week for my on campus interview. Apparently they had high volumes of interviews while I was there, so I was interviewed by an alum that they had asked to come in and help. All the questions were pretty straight forward. The only one I hadn't expected was, "what is a common misconception about you?" Overall, I think it went well, but it was shorter than I thought it would be. It lasted only about 20-25 minutes, but I feel comfortable with the way I presented myself and I said everything I wanted to say.

I was able to attend 2 classes. I enjoyed the professors and was impressed with the class participation even though they weren't the most exciting topics. I was late to sign up for the classes, so I missed out on the most popular ones. The student hosting the tour was very friendly and had many positive things to say about the building even though it is getting old and a bit out-dated. The info session was different from that at other schools. It was done by a member of the adcom who addressed FAQs with relatively few questions coming from the attendees. Thursday night I met up with a current 1st year student I had networked with beforehand and had dinner with his family. His background and goals are very similar to mine, so I was glad to get his take on the school and hear about his experience. I was also fortunate to attend the TG event on Friday evening. It definitely showed a social side to the school and I met several other current students who were very welcoming and willing to share their experiences. Overall, my visit was excellent and did nothing to dethrone Kellogg as my preferred school should I be fortunate enough to be accepted. Best of luck to everyone in Round 2.

Sorry to call you out bro but you posted that Ross is your top choice on the Ross thread and about Kellogg on this. You do realize adcom doesn't monitor this website, right? Ha ha...

I think what would be very useful for most here is a list of differences you observed between the two schools. What did you find unique about Ross that was missing at Kellogg and vice-versa. Many here haven't had the opportunity to visit both schools and would gladly welcome your insight. Thanks, and good luck!

I don't mind being called out. I know adcom doesn't monitor, just stating my preferences at this point. I understand the confusion between my posts. Kellogg is my #1 choice between the two. However, Ross moved up my list out of all of my schools and is among the top schools on my list. That's all I meant on the Ross forum by stating it is at the top. If I were to be accepted at both schools, it would be a difficult decision. Kellogg has the edge because of it's brand/reputation in marketing, which is what I will be pursuing. When discussing classes, Kellogg students had a level of respect I didn't find at Ross. On multiple occasions, I heard Kellogg students mention professors and classes by name, whereas, I don't recall hearing one mention of a professor by name at Ross. The main thing mentioned at Ross was their MAP projects, which is their mini-consulting projects and takes their whole focus during the last quarter of the first year. That seems to be unique to Ross.

I reached out to students at both places before my visit. At Kellogg, the current student I met went out of his way to introduce me to some of his good friends, who also introduced me to some of their friends. With the students I had contacted at Ross, we chatted and then went our separate ways. I didn't expect any other introductions, but that turned out to be a difference.

The student hosts at the schools seemed to have different attitudes also. This would be my only negative about Kellogg. The Kellogg hosts (not all of them) seemed to be performing their job. They were friendly and insightful, but they seemed to be attending the events more as part of their duties than helping through the recruiting process. At Ross, the hosts made sure we felt comfortable, cracked jokes, and just genuinely seemed happy to get to know us and spend time with the prospectives.

The locations of the school couldn't be more different. Ann Arbor is definitely a college town, major athletic programs. The current students say it fosters a tight-knit community in the business school because most people leave friends in other major areas to come to Ann Arbor, so all they have is each other. A lot of students mentioned how much fun they have socializing at the football games. On the other hand, Evanston is so close to Chicago that it still has the big-city feel. There's a lot to do outside the school, so it's up to you to do things with or without your classmates. Kellogg has the edge here for me, because I have never lived in a major city and would like to have that experience. Although Michigan football would be exciting, I'm not choosing a school based on its athletics.

Anyway, I hope this is more helpful to you and answers your question about differences I observed. I visited the campuses mainly because I wanted to get a feel for the students and see if I would fit.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPE
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Energy, General Management
Schools:Sloan R1, Fuqua R1, Haas R2, Wharton R2, Darden R2, Kellogg R2
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 4 yrs Oil &amp; Gas (Engineering, Operations Management)
Send PM
Kudos
Just posted my R2 telephonic interview details on the ClearAdmit wiki.
https://clearadmit.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... gInterview
Posting it here again:

International applicant (in remote area)
1/20 - Interview waiver
2/1 - Interview invite
2/5 - Interview

Scheduling: I called Admissions to schedule a phone interview. They verified my contact details. Duration: Interviewer clearly said that the duration will be 30 minutes (int) + 10-15 mins (questions). She stuck to it.

Introduction.
    Walk me through your resume
    Explain your job role. Who you manage. Who you report to.
    Short-term / long-term goals.
    What is your most significant accomplishment?
    What do you bring to the team that helps it/ hampers it? (Stumped!)
    How has your leadership approach evolved?
    Biggest strength / weakness.
    Why MBA?
    Why Kellogg?
    What extra-curricular activites will you be part of in Kellogg?
    Anything else you would like to share.

Overall: Flat-toned interview. Very textbook-ish.
Result: Waiting
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
aw10 wrote:
For what it's worth, I told the admissions rep that I had been checking the forums and had almost resigned myself for a ding, to which he said that we give them waaaaaayyyy more credit for being regimented and organized than they deserve, so I suspect that there is plenty of good news to come.

Long-time lurker and R2 admit who had to post to thank aw10 for passing along this info, which I hope gives people some perspective/solace. Coincidentally I worked in a high-volume admissions office during college (work study) and the process is not nearly as methodical as you'd think. They probably go through piles in random order to call people - highly doubt it's alphabetical. Benign, unexpected things can hold up a file. I'm sure they try to be sensitive to the stress applicants are under but I think when dealing with 5000+ applicants they just do things in the same way we all do at work -- sometimes super-efficiently, sometimes not so much.

Kellogg releases decisions continuously, so don't listen to anyone here today (eg, Arbitrageur) who claims they know that everyone's fate has been decided. Kellogg was doing interviews just last week, and there's no way all those decisions have been made yet even though they're R2 (doubt all those files have even been reviewed yet since they told me in the interview that 3 people read the file before the director of admissions reads it). And they admit ~800-900 people, so I doubt the process is over already.

FYI, the Class of 2013 Facebook page has 129 people signed on so far, FYI.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Send PM
Kudos

R2 Roll Call Updated

CLICK TO EDIT YOUR R2 INFO
3-28-11 notification deadline with admit calls starting 3-14-11
248 Applicants (+12)
69 Admits (+11)
63 Dings (+10)
10 W/L (+10)

R1 information
12-20-10 notification deadline
205 R1 Applicants
65 Admits (32%) (sent out starting 12-6-10)
58 Dings (sent out the week after)
38 W/L (sent out 12-16-10; updated 2-21-11)

Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2013 Thread
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Kudos
Avernusaur wrote:
wiredo wrote:
Does anybody know if the essays get read by the ad-com in sequence (that is, Essay #1 first, then #2, #3, and finally #4)?
In trying to establish a complete picture, I thought I'd finish with essays 1,2, and 4 (not necessarily in that order), and then write #3 using evidence laid out in the other three essays. However, this plan might fall apart if the ad-com reads essay #3 before #4 and goes "huh? the applicant hasn't referenced that anywhere".

What are everyone's thoughts?

I'm planning to do the same thing for essay #3. Because the question is based on your entire application package, it would be logical for them to read #3 last.

Just returned from the MBA Admissions Panel in Boston where Kellogg, among other schools, was present. Met with Jessica Seymour, Assistant Director of Admissions, and got this question answered. She said she can't speak for the other admissions officers, but she, for one, WILL be reading the essays in sequence. When I presented the dilemma of introducing material in essay 3 referenced in essay 4, she gave me the following pointers:
- Don't repeat yourself
- Make each essay stand on its own, if possible, and present new information (I think she said dimensions) to the application.

Oh well, so much for my original plan. But, at least I know what to do now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Aspiria wrote:
Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie here and have one question.
I've submitted part 1 of the application but haven't started the essays yet. What will happen if I don't submit part 2 by Oct 14? Will my app be in Round 2 automatically? Or I lose my chance and can't apply in Round 2 now?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

You will be considered for admission in the round that you submit part 2. If you don't submit part 2 until round 2, that is when you will be considered for admission.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  179   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts