Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
duongdav wrote:
Hey prospects,

First off, congrats to the admits!

Just got a ding from R1. I'm at a loss as to what I could do to improve for the following year. just to share, here is what i submitted for my essay three that i thought would help me stand out from the pile of applicants.

h t t p(colon, backslash, backslash)youtu(dot)be(backslash)Q_ivJ-aaHcQ

hope yall enjoy the video. if anyone that was admitted or if anyone has time to help with a profile analysis, your feedback would be much appreciated.

jist of my app:

Undergrad: UCLA, Econ & Acct, 3.2 GPA
GMAT: 690
Experience:
-3.5 yrs public accounting, CPA
-2.5 yrs (simultaneous with public accounting) in a start-up CPG company as a co-founder, worked on marketing and sales, integrated product into 70+ campus gift shops
- 6 months (simultaneous with start-up) in PR at a CPG focused company, quit public accounting to start on a path in creative field
Goal: Brand management in CPG

Well, I watched your video man, I had that song stuck in my head all night :D seriously good job, you put a lot of detail into that that i didnt even notice until the second time through.
If anything you definitely showed enthusiasm and a lot of commitment. I would've thought you had it nailed for sure. your stats are awesome as well.

if I were to get admitted after you were dinged (especially with all you did) i would feel pretty guilty. If admits were transferrable coupons i'd just give you mine :D

the only thing i can say is that maybe you just didn't get lucky, just my opinion of course. My uncle was on the adcom for Cornell and his advice to me in bschool apps was "apply to as many schools as you can" he said that contrary to what applicants like to believe, the application process is very unscientific and a lot of it just comes down to luck of the draw. they do their best to weed out the applicants who arent fit/competetive enough for the school, and after that it's pretty much like drawing out of a fishbowl. When you're choosing the very best 400 out of 4500 applicants and making these decisions as a team, it's probably pretty tough to get the very top 400. They are bound to mess up alot in the process, either by picking some students from the lower 3000 who shouldn't get in, or missing some students that would normally be in the top 50 (like you, IMO).

I do think with the amount of work you put into your application (especilly the video) you deserve at least a few words of feedback from the person who decided "no" after reading your app. so if there is a polite way to contact them and ask, i would give that a shot.

good luck with whatever you end up pursuing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
duongdav wrote:
thanks for watching my video and thanks for the kind words. I actually tried calling them to see if they would let me talk to someone, but they wouldn't. also tried emailing and they gave me your run of the mill response..."a lot of strong applicants blah blah." ......
im not one to die easy so ill be back with another video.

Hi Duongdav, I saw the video you made and while i completely appreciate the insane amount of effort it must have taken to make it, here are a few points to think about:
1. This essay is not a test of your creativity in general, but a test of how creatively you can get across salient points of your personality across to the adcom.
2. It was obvious that you had professional help to make the video and that's why a well-produced video does not get that many extra brownie points. UCLA has in fact removed the video essay as it intrinsically favored those who had contacts/friends/resources to shoot well-produced videos.
3. I felt the video was way too long. I started getting bored after the 3 mins mark. Consider sacrificing form for brevity.
4. This is a personal thing - but the auto-tune starts getting grating after a point. Also it seems to stop working in between when you get to the chorus? Keep it consistent.

Good luck with the rest of your apps mate. You are obviously very talented and I'm sure you will make it to a good school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
PTK wrote:
:-D :-D :-D :-D Rejected!!! So happy!

Thank you Stern for saving my $330k! I will invest'em elsewhere.

Congratulations!!! Best of luck in your upcoming investing plans!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Consulting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
what all documents we need to carry to the interview apart from degree, official transcripts and a copy of resume?

ls413 wrote:
I've just heard that NYU has a more collaborative culture and Booth is more competitive and the students focus more on the individual.

I feel like this stereotype is due to the fact that Booth does not have a true "cohort" system. Since the school has a flexible curriculum, you do not attend your core classes with the same group of people. When I visited Booth, I found every person who I met to be kind, friendly, and welcoming. In my own personal opinion, I think that Booth's culture is on par with Stern's in terms of the collaborative nature of its students.

As a native New Yorker, I agree with those who have said that there is no other city like New York. That being said, Chicago is a great city that has wonderful things to offer. I would also say that Chicago is easier to navigate and its inhabitants are more friendly. I think it's much easier to feel lost in New York City than in Chicago.[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.02
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
allaboutmimi13 wrote:
mbagirl23 wrote:
Admitted! Just received the email! So excited!!!

For the ones following my timeline was:

submitted R1: 11/15/2011
interview invite: 01/23/2012
interview: 02/09/2012
admit: 02/17/2012

No w I have to make a decision between Stern and Booth. My heart is at Stern, but my head is telling me Booth.

Congrats on the admit! What industry are you looking to work in after graduation? I have an admit to Booth as well, but I want to work in the entertainment industry, and Stern seems like a better fit.

I had my interview on 2/09/12 as well - but I have not heard anything today.

Submitted R2 - 1/11/12
interview invite: 2/01/12
interviewed: 02/09/12

I know my time frame has been short in comparison to others... but the post-interview wait is the worst. Hopefully I will hear today!

Any word? Still nothing on my end..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
zigster29 wrote:
Soooo...is it time to start panicking yet? Has anyone figured out how the decisions are rendered? It doesn't seem to be rolling as people who submitted 30 minutes before deadline have found out while others who submitted days before have yet to...

I submitted morning of but...alas...nothing...

My quickie profile: 720 GMAT / 3.6 GPA (from a top Canadian university)...background can be seen on my essay3 I guess :) ... youtube search: the many pieces of me (stern essay 3)

So nice to hear from a fellow Canadian!!! I live in Vancouver (home of the best hockey team in the world....)

I really loved your video - it seems like you have a lot to offer the Stern community. I know it's not any fun playing the waiting game, but I think alot about this timing is random. I received my interview invite on February 1st (R2 applicant - submitted on Jan 9), but many of my friends have not heard anything yet, so you're not alone.

Let us know as soon as you hear anything - I would love to be around another Canadian this fall!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the admit email!

Submitted on 1/11
Interview invite 2/14
Interviewed 2/29
Accepted 3/7
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
mba201209 wrote:
lolingcat wrote:
Interviewed on 3/6, admitted today. Happy Pi day!

Congrats! Question to you and other admitted candidates...

At the end of my interview the admissions officer said " Interview is only part of a application and I will take what we spoke to the admissions team. We will then review your application holistically and let you know of a decision in 2 weeks. Your result can be admitted, wait listed or denied admission ". Is this the standard response after interview or is she preparing me indirectly for a not so happy result?

Please advice- ANY insight on what your closing statements were will go a looooooong way in healing down my anxiety

No I was told the same exact thing and accepted with $$$ one week later.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
I got in! Received an email about a status change today. I thought it would be a ding as I thought acceptances were received via phone call. Happily surprised!

Submitted 1/15
Interview Invite 2/27
Interview 3/15
Admit 3/20
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Four days after receiving my online acceptance, I received a scholarship package along with my hard copy of the acceptance letter.

Is anyone familiar with on-campus vs. off-campus housing options that most Stern students choose? Is anyone familiar with the Palladium, which is the on-campus option? Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
McAwhen wrote:
rnjbond wrote:
Waitlisted. At least it's not a rejection.

I hope they give me a shot. I hope I get one more chance to prove myself.

Same thing here.

Does anybody know when will they start giving out decisions on R2 waitlisted?

Sorry about that . @McAwhen - was it with or without an interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
strategise wrote:
McAwhen wrote:
rnjbond wrote:
Waitlisted. At least it's not a rejection.

I hope they give me a shot. I hope I get one more chance to prove myself.

Same thing here.

Does anybody know when will they start giving out decisions on R2 waitlisted?

Sorry about that . @McAwhen - was it with or without an interview?

With interview on campus. No need to be sorry... yet!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
3/8/2012: Invite to interview
3/20/2012: Interviewed
3/28/2012: Accepted!

Seems like the turnaround time is pretty quick as they draw closer to the admit weekend! So pumped to meet all my future Sternies! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
I was accepted into Stern, but decided not attend (fairly certain I am attending Ross). I informed the admissions team so I hope this opens up my spot for GMAT clubber on the waitlist!
Intern
Intern
Status:GMAT date booked, Drafting essays, University Shortlisting
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Fuqua '14
GMAT Date: 09-09-2011
WE:Other (Telecommunications)
Send PM
@cwhs: Thanks for offering to support. Any tips/techniques please do share.
Could you please share your background information? Schools applied? what made you choose Stern?

-Cheers
Intern
Intern
Status:GMAT date booked, Drafting essays, University Shortlisting
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Fuqua '14
GMAT Date: 09-09-2011
WE:Other (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Thanks again cwhs. Am eagerly waiting for the essay topics to be announced.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
I want to apply, but they have been very slow at updating info on their webpage.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts