Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
gpb14 wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:
2). What I have been told was that no applications are looked at until the deadline for that round. I know that is the case for R1, but not as sure about R2. I seem to recall someone last year getting an interview invite for R2 before the R2 deadline, but I that person had someone "important" (no idea who) call the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office for a definitive answer. I am fairly sure they will say they do not review apps until after the deadline.

Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify further, my question isn't whether they review them prior to the deadline (I'm assuming they don't). Instead, I'm curious if once they starting reviewing, do they review applications which were submitted earlier first?

Thanks again!

Ah gotcha. Yea I am not entirely sure about that from last years data a few people that applied before the deadline got invites late, but in general most applied before deadline got earlier invites. However, those people could have been more prepared and had better apps then the rest so it is difficult to tell. Especially since people that are not accepted/don't get an invite tend to not report back.

I never heard any mention of the admissions team saying they processed them in order or anything. Doesn't really help you I am sure. Just remember handing in a complete, meticulous app is better handing in a sloppy one a few days early.

-J
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi all,
I believe that the overall lower activity in thread and the lower number of applicants reflects the overall trend in today's business environment. If you were to graduate in 2002-2004 than there were a lot of jobs in IB and other companies with huge bonuses and multiple offers.
Today I-banks are firing staff and although the post-MBA salaries remained stable there are less guaranteed bonuses, the prices and overall cost of attendance (tution, rent, etc) increased. People are willing to stay for a while and see what's next step. Thus the total number of applications is expected to decline.

Visit for example the Cornell "calling all......" thread, few posts below you find a post with an attachment posted by a current atudent. There is word documents with admissions statistics to Cornell.
You will see that the admission rate for the last year at Cornell mba increased from 19%-22% to 27% (and 42% for AMBA), becuase of the lower number of applicants prior year. And it is Ivy League school by the way. I would also expect decrease for almost all of the schools.
I will not follow the crowd applying to H/S.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well if you are going to make a claim like that you should probably put more then one school. Cornell is not in the top 10 and doesn't have the largest of applicant pools. A few schools like Tuck had there selectivity increase from last year.

For real data look here,
https://poetsandquants.com/2011/10/24/wh ... -school/2/

It supports that there are less applicants but at lot of schools the drop is not that big. I believe it is more like that the same applicant pool is just narrowing there focus to a few schools instead of applying to several.

Plenty of people go to biz school for things other besides IB like myself. IB people still probably get paid the most, but they give up there life in exchange.

-J
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
SalarymanJ wrote:
Well if you are going to make a claim like that you should probably put more then one school. Cornell is not in the top 10 and doesn't have the largest of applicant pools. A few schools like Tuck had there selectivity increase from last year.

For real data look here,
https://poetsandquants.com/2011/10/24/wh ... -school/2/

It supports that there are less applicants but at lot of schools the drop is not that big. I believe it is more like that the same applicant pool is just narrowing there focus to a few schools instead of applying to several.

Plenty of people go to biz school for things other besides IB like myself. IB people still probably get paid the most, but they give up there life in exchange.

-J

thanks for link.
Do you usually use all data when providing an example? the school just was an example of the overall trend.

It is my subjective opinion, which is trying to explain one of the possible reasons why the number of registered applicants (here) is down in comparison with the last year and why here are less dicussions.
Of course some schools like Tuck experienced increase in selectivity, but the overall trend is decrease in number of applicants. And it is merely your assumption that "the same applicant pool is just narrowing there focus". It may not be true.

And my opinion is the same stated in the article

Quote:
In an earlier interview with Poets&Quants, Wharton Admissions Director Ankur Kumar attributed the application declines two main reasons. “First, the macro economic issues in the world are causing some people to stay in the work place,” said Kumar. “After living through a period of uncertainly in the past coupe of years, some may want to hold fast to their jobs and not take the risk. Other people in emerging markets have really robust professional careers and they see more opportunity in the jobs they already have.

cheers,
PTK
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Far enough, I was mostly poking at you using cornell which has a smaller applicant pool compared to a lot of the 10 top schools. And sure I think the economy has something to do with it, on the other had after things crashed in 2007-2008 applicant numbers went way up for 2009-2010. People tend to re-educate when the economy is not running so smooth. In any case, there are probably a variety of factors contributing to the drop this year from the economy to the negative publicity. There are still plenty of IB jobs to go around for people that hate themselves.

-J
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
gpb14 wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:
2). What I have been told was that no applications are looked at until the deadline for that round. I know that is the case for R1, but not as sure about R2. I seem to recall someone last year getting an interview invite for R2 before the R2 deadline, but I that person had someone "important" (no idea who) call the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office for a definitive answer. I am fairly sure they will say they do not review apps until after the deadline.

Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify further, my question isn't whether they review them prior to the deadline (I'm assuming they don't). Instead, I'm curious if once they starting reviewing, do they review applications which were submitted earlier first?

Thanks again!

Ok. I am going to take a stab at answering this question. I attended one of the admissions events and the NYU rep said that the first deadline is the only actual deadline. Which means that they will review no applications till after Nov 15 (R1 deadline) after that they will review the apps as they come. So if you submit Nov1 it is not going to make you any different from the applicant who submits Nov 15. However as all the R1 apps are reviewed they will start rolling out the interviews. After the R1 apps are reviewed they will also roll out the interviews of the apps submitted after R1 on a rolling basis as the apps come in. The Deadlines are just to indicate when latest you will come to know your admission status. However they do say that scholarships are offered to a larger pool of applicants who apply by the first deadline which is not to say that the scholarships offered in r2 are considerably lesser but not as many as R1.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
I think Stern gets afflicted with the "I guess I will apply to Stern" syndrome among applicants nervous about not getting the Harvard interview or anxiously waiting to hear back from Booth, Columbia. I guess that is why their essays are very stern specific...

With that said, I visited Stern and thought it was fantastic! Felt the building was a little cramped for the number of people, but thats more of a New York thing so cant discount a school because of that....

I am just starting to do my personal expression piece. Im trying to leverage my Booth powerpoint in a way that is not obvious, but that will be difficult. I was exploring sending a video, but afraid that would hurt more than it can help. How is everyone else coming along in their personal expression piece? Any tips or advice?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nycbiker wrote:
I think Stern gets afflicted with the "I guess I will apply to Stern" syndrome among applicants nervous about not getting the Harvard interview or anxiously waiting to hear back from Booth, Columbia. I guess that is why their essays are very stern specific...

With that said, I visited Stern and thought it was fantastic! Felt the building was a little cramped for the number of people, but thats more of a New York thing so cant discount a school because of that....

I am just starting to do my personal expression piece. Im trying to leverage my Booth powerpoint in a way that is not obvious, but that will be difficult. I was exploring sending a video, but afraid that would hurt more than it can help. How is everyone else coming along in their personal expression piece? Any tips or advice?

The building may seem crammed but really it isn't. There are a lot of MBA specific study areas only full time MBA students can get into. They do a pretty good job of keeping the undergraduate students out of your hair as well. Only thing that can be difficult is reserving a study room. They have quite a few but with 800 people you are bound to not have a enough. People also tend to block off a reservation for 4 hours but not actually use it.

I am not sure what your booth powerpoint is like but I would recommend trying to write an essay and maybe add in some of the imagines from your powerpoint slides. You would be surprised at the number of people that wrote essays. I would only do a video if you think you can make something that adds to your application (Ie conveys who you are beyond your other essays).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Hi everyone,
I am applying to Stern first round. I was wondering what do you guys put in the box: "Please list any other graduate schools to which you are applying, including other programs at NYU Stern or New York University." ?
Do you leave it blank (which comes to say: 1) Stern is the only school I am applying or 2) I am applying to other schools but I won't tell you) or do you actually mention the other schools you are applying?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
mbagirl23 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am applying to Stern first round. I was wondering what do you guys put in the box: "Please list any other graduate schools to which you are applying, including other programs at NYU Stern or New York University." ?
Do you leave it blank (which comes to say: 1) Stern is the only school I am applying or 2) I am applying to other schools but I won't tell you) or do you actually mention the other schools you are applying?

If it is the only school your applying then you dont have to enter anything. It hardly matters if you entered any other school or not.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
When I applied I listed the six other schools I applied to. Didn't matter at all. Just be prepared to explain why stern over other schools when you interview.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SalarymanJ wrote:
When I applied I listed the six other schools I applied to. Didn't matter at all. Just be prepared to explain why stern over other schools when you interview.

thanx for the advice. I already have the answer to that question... :wink:

I know it's early... but one can dream. How does the interview invitation process work? I am based in Europe but depending on when comes the invitation I could arrange to come to NY. I think it's nicer to be able to interview on campus, and probably quicker. I know they organise interviews in London but I beleive this is around March, and sounds like in a very long time to me! Do they give you the choice? How flexible is that?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbagirl23 wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:

thanx for the advice. I already have the answer to that question... :wink:

I know it's early... but one can dream. How does the interview invitation process work? I am based in Europe but depending on when comes the invitation I could arrange to come to NY. I think it's nicer to be able to interview on campus, and probably quicker. I know they organise interviews in London but I beleive this is around March, and sounds like in a very long time to me! Do they give you the choice? How flexible is that?

Interview invites start trickling out around 3 weeks after the application deadline and will continue to come out every week until may-ish. If you can get to NY to interview on campus I would. It would show them you favor NYU and they are pretty into that. I don't know if it makes a huge difference for interviewing in london vs US as far as admittance, but the sooner you get your interview done the better.

-J
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have an existential question regarding essay 4.
I am from France, and the grading system is VERY different from the US. Not just because we are graded on a 0-20 scale but also because in France 14 for example is considered a very good grade. Teachers like to make jokes about the fact that 20 doesn't exist, 19 is God, 18 is the teacher, 17 is the freak/nerd/geek of the class ... so we are actually graded on 16!
Then it varies from one school to another, usually private schools give you better grades but very much depends.
So here come my question, does Stern adcoms know about this? Should I use essay 4 to explain? How do I explain that without sounding like I'm trying to justify a poor GPA?

thank you for your help!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
mbagirl23 wrote:
I have an existential question regarding essay 4.
I am from France, and the grading system is VERY different from the US. Not just because we are graded on a 0-20 scale but also because in France 14 for example is considered a very good grade. Teachers like to make jokes about the fact that 20 doesn't exist, 19 is God, 18 is the teacher, 17 is the freak/nerd/geek of the class ... so we are actually graded on 16!
Then it varies from one school to another, usually private schools give you better grades but very much depends.
So here come my question, does Stern adcoms know about this? Should I use essay 4 to explain? How do I explain that without sounding like I'm trying to justify a poor GPA?

thank you for your help!

They know differences in difficulty/grading between various countries -- I wouldn't worry about it.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.

Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts