GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2019, 08:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 08:05
Does anyone know how to join the Facebook group for HEC MBA students? I can't seem to search for it since it's a private group.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
S
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '21, Erasmus
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 08:12
Hi,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/575847972897726/

binky wrote:
Does anyone know how to join the Facebook group for HEC MBA students? I can't seem to search for it since it's a private group.

"Always keep in mind that nobody can predict your chances of admit unless you apply"
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 02:48
Had applied to the January 2020 intake in the July round. Got the admit call from HEC last week on 26th July.

Instead of January 2020 intake I have been accepted into the September 2020 intake due to diversity constraints.

How long after the acceptance call do you receive the email from HEC? My dashboard shows that I have been accepted but I am yet to receive any email or hard copy acceptance letter from the school.
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 03:18
Hi,
Congratulations for the admit :)
I am not sure in how many days you will receive the confirmation letter? Generally, you need to accept the place within 4 weeks and submit 1st installment. As you are moved to the next intake, it will be better to ask your admission director for the further process.
Santaborg wrote:
Had applied to the January 2020 intake in the July round. Got the admit call from HEC last week on 26th July.

Instead of January 2020 intake I have been accepted into the September 2020 intake due to diversity constraints.

How long after the acceptance call do you receive the email from HEC? My dashboard shows that I have been accepted but I am yet to receive any email or hard copy acceptance letter from the school.

"Always keep in mind that nobody can predict your chances of admit unless you apply"
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 06:56
Santaborg wrote:

Got the email a couple hours after the call. It might be a good idea to contact your admissions officer !
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 04:51
Very much agreed...Santaborg please update us when you reach them. And big congrats!

lrrhhtr wrote:
Santaborg wrote:

Got the email a couple hours after the call. It might be a good idea to contact your admissions officer !

Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 21:24
Hello! Sorry for the late response. The admission officer gave me a call on 5th of July and announced an admit for Jan 2020. Really excited.

Is there any particular group for the people going for Jan 2020? WhatsApp maybe?

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi starkfromthenorth how did it go? Sorry for not responding at the time, I never receive notifications for some reason.
starkfromthenorth wrote:
Just received an email last week that I am pre-selected to the interview session. Are there any tips for the presentation slide and interview?
INSEAD School Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 22:16
that's amazing, I'm so happy for you. Can you share a little bit with us about your profile, and your presentation? And maybe any insight that you have about why you got in? I'm afraid I'm not in the loop on the WhatsApp stuff because gmatclub will not let me do anything with that.

starkfromthenorth wrote:
Hello! Sorry for the late response. The admission officer gave me a call on 5th of July and announced an admit for Jan 2020. Really excited.

Is there any particular group for the people going for Jan 2020? WhatsApp maybe?

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi starkfromthenorth how did it go? Sorry for not responding at the time, I never receive notifications for some reason.
starkfromthenorth wrote:
Just received an email last week that I am pre-selected to the interview session. Are there any tips for the presentation slide and interview?

Posted from my mobile device
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 23:11
It's surprising no one had started a dedicated thread for Jan intake admits to connect and discuss next steps. I just did it. All admits are advised to head towards HEC Jan intake Admits thread to stay connected with fellow admits.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/hec-paris-ja ... 02253.html

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 00:36
Thank you MBAPrepCoach.

Summary of my profile:
Business Development Manager with 10 years experience of working in a food manufacturing company and the Big Four
I had an undergraduate degree in a accounting from Universitas Indonesia in 2010
GMAT score: 640 (V34, Q44, IR2, AWA4.5)
I am Indonesian and of chinese descent

I applied for INSEAD Jan 2020 intake previously and got a ding. HEC is my second option. My other options are IMD and RSM (though I have explored and discussed a bit with the admission officers from these two B-schools, I have never finished my applications to them). I obviously have preference in European B-schools mostly due their diversity and efficient time format (12-16 months). I also have several colleagues who graduated from European B-schools and have witnessed their achievement in terms of career and personal goal.

I have a very low GMAT score. I personally think that HEC accepts me because I am coming from an industry background (since as far as I am aware consulting background is still dominating somehow) and also because my country is underrepresented. But again I cannot ignore there’s also a chance that they like my essays as well.

Both of my interviewers were Indonesian and are working in Jakarta. First interview went a bit formal. It was straightforward. It was held in a coffee shop near both our offices. My first interviewer is just a couple years senior in terms of age. He graduated from the school in 2016. He asked a lot about my presentation (concept and calculation). Afterwards, we talked a bit about the school and the program and I asked several questions about his experience as an alumnus. Overall, I felt the interview session went well, yet not impressive enough.

The second interview, however, went a 180°. The second interview, I can say, didn’t feel like an interview at all. My interviewer is also only a couple years older than me. He graduated from the school back in 2014 (or 2015, I cannot recall exactly). The interview went very lightly. I felt like I was talking with my friend during the session. He opened the session by talking about matters outside the schools, like our mutual friends and interests. He didn’t ask a lot from technical side related to my presentation. Different from my first one, even though it took me more or less the same 60 minutes as the first one, I thought the second interview went much better.

HEC’s process is efficient. I applied for R2 and it took me exactly 5 weeks, just like HEC promotes in its website. I submit my application on Jun 3, 2019 and the pre-selection announcement came to on Jun 12, 2019. The first interviewer’s details were announced to me on Jun 20, 2019, giving me more or less one week for preparing the presentation. The second interviewer’s details were announced later on Jun 23, 2019. Both interviews were set to be conducted no later than July 2, 2019. The acceptance email then came to me on July 5, 2019. Like I mentioned, exactly 5 weeks.

Hints for future applicants: know your values and sell them like your life depends on them. In my case, just like I mentioned previously, I felt like I am an underdog in relation to my professional resume. But again I know HEC looks for diversity in nationality, ethnicity and of course in professional background. I also think that HEC likes to see a different perspective over its candidates, hence why they give us interesting questions for essay just like “Imagine a life entirely different from the one you now lead, what would it be?” and “What figure do you most admire and why?”. Given the fact that I love writing and journaling during my spare time, I took this chance as a challenge and put an extra effort in preparing the essays.

Hope this helps! Good luck for the future applicants!

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
that's amazing, I'm so happy for you. Can you share a little bit with us about your profile, and your presentation? And maybe any insight that you have about why you got in? I'm afraid I'm not in the loop on the WhatsApp stuff because gmatclub will not let me do anything with that.

starkfromthenorth wrote:

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]
INSEAD School Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 00:49
starkfromthenorth thank you so much!! this is very helpful for everyone on the thread. generous contribution. excited for you. I love that you mention knowing your values. this is so undervalued (haha) by most applicants!! even though it states right in the interview invitation they are seeing if you align with HEC values. Can I ask what were your stated goals? Also, can you share a bit more about the presentation idea (if you feel comfortable) and how you felt it was received? Do you think being more practiced in that helped the 2nd time around, or just the personal chemistry?

starkfromthenorth wrote:
Thank you MBAPrepCoach.

Summary of my profile:
Business Development Manager with 10 years experience of working in a food manufacturing company and the Big Four
I had an undergraduate degree in a accounting from Universitas Indonesia in 2010
GMAT score: 640 (V34, Q44, IR2, AWA4.5)
I am Indonesian and of chinese descent

I applied for INSEAD Jan 2020 intake previously and got a ding. HEC is my second option. My other options are IMD and RSM (though I have explored and discussed a bit with the admission officers from these two B-schools, I have never finished my applications to them). I obviously have preference in European B-schools mostly due their diversity and efficient time format (12-16 months). I also have several colleagues who graduated from European B-schools and have witnessed their achievement in terms of career and personal goal.

I have a very low GMAT score. I personally think that HEC accepts me because I am coming from an industry background (since as far as I am aware consulting background is still dominating somehow) and also because my country is underrepresented. But again I cannot ignore there’s also a chance that they like my essays as well.

Both of my interviewers were Indonesian and are working in Jakarta. First interview went a bit formal. It was straightforward. It was held in a coffee shop near both our offices. My first interviewer is just a couple years senior in terms of age. He graduated from the school in 2016. He asked a lot about my presentation (concept and calculation). Afterwards, we talked a bit about the school and the program and I asked several questions about his experience as an alumnus. Overall, I felt the interview session went well, yet not impressive enough.

The second interview, however, went a 180°. The second interview, I can say, didn’t feel like an interview at all. My interviewer is also only a couple years older than me. He graduated from the school back in 2014 (or 2015, I cannot recall exactly). The interview went very lightly. I felt like I was talking with my friend during the session. He opened the session by talking about matters outside the schools, like our mutual friends and interests. He didn’t ask a lot from technical side related to my presentation. Different from my first one, even though it took me more or less the same 60 minutes as the first one, I thought the second interview went much better.

HEC’s process is efficient. I applied for R2 and it took me exactly 5 weeks, just like HEC promotes in its website. I submit my application on Jun 3, 2019 and the pre-selection announcement came to on Jun 12, 2019. The first interviewer’s details were announced to me on Jun 20, 2019, giving me more or less one week for preparing the presentation. The second interviewer’s details were announced later on Jun 23, 2019. Both interviews were set to be conducted no later than July 2, 2019. The acceptance email then came to me on July 5, 2019. Like I mentioned, exactly 5 weeks.

Hints for future applicants: know your values and sell them like your life depends on them. In my case, just like I mentioned previously, I felt like I am an underdog in relation to my professional resume. But again I know HEC looks for diversity in nationality, ethnicity and of course in professional background. I also think that HEC likes to see a different perspective over its candidates, hence why they give us interesting questions for essay just like “Imagine a life entirely different from the one you now lead, what would it be?” and “What figure do you most admire and why?”. Given the fact that I love writing and journaling during my spare time, I took this chance as a challenge and put an extra effort in preparing the essays.

Hope this helps! Good luck for the future applicants!

MBAPrepCoach wrote:

starkfromthenorth wrote:

[/quote]
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 2.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2019, 11:40
Applied on 16 August, got a pre-selection decision to interview with Alumni yesterday. Looking forward to it. Can someone please share link to interview debriefs to post one here? Thanks
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2019, 03:10
Hi,
I think you applied for Sep 20 intake. Am I correct?
You can post your debrief here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/hec-paris-22 ... brief.html

helas92 wrote:
Applied on 16 August, got a pre-selection decision to interview with Alumni yesterday. Looking forward to it. Can someone please share link to interview debriefs to post one here? Thanks

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2019, 03:16
sjas31 wrote:
Hi,
You can post your debrief here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/hec-paris-22 ... brief.html

helas92 wrote:

I have applied for Jan 2020 intake.

Still waiting for them to share interviewer info to schedule the interview.

Cheers,
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2019, 03:25
helas92 wrote:
sjas31 wrote:
Hi,

helas92 wrote:

I have applied for Jan 2020 intake.

Still waiting for them to share interviewer info to schedule the interview.

Cheers,

Okay. All the best :angel:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 07:27
Just got to know that I have got in for Jan 2020 intake. The decision came by email.

Saleh

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 12:08
helas92 wrote:
Just got to know that I have got in for Jan 2020 intake. The decision came by email.

Saleh

Congratulations helas92 I've started the following topic for the admitted students.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 05803.html

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 20:47
helas92 wrote:

Saleh

Hey,
Many congratulations to you. Are you going to accept the offer?
Is there any school you are targeting?

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sloan '19

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 00:29
Hi Everyone,

Congratulations on your admits to HEC. Just wondering if you might be able to help me out on this one.

I applied for the Jan 2020 intake at HEC Paris in Sep 2019 (Considering I am an international applicant, I realize how late I applied), anyways, I received an email from the HEC team as below.

Thank you once again for applying to the HEC Paris MBA. We held our pre-selection admissions jury today and assessed your application with careful consideration. Your overall profile has many strong elements, however your current GRE/GMAT score is below the average of the incoming class.

We believe your essays, academic achievements and your career path demonstrate a fit for HEC Paris, and because of these reasons, we are happy to keep your application open and give you a chance to improve your score. An increased GRE/GMAT score will strengthen your application and it will ensure that you will be successful in the classroom. If you have already tried the GMAT several times, we suggest trying the GRE, and we want to reassure you that we will only consider your highest score.

Please let us know if you would like to proceed with your application with your current score, or if you would like to take this opportunity to try the test again. If you decide to retake, please share with us your new score when you have it and we will evaluate your application in the subsequent pre-selection jury.

Unquote

Considering I am already pretty late in the application process, I informed them that I would like my application to be considered with my current GMAT score of 670.

Do you know of anyone who has faced something similar?

Thank you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 05:14
sjas31 wrote:
helas92 wrote:

Saleh

Hey,
Many congratulations to you. Are you going to accept the offer?
Is there any school you are targeting?

I didn't get into IMD. I had applied to WHU in German where I have gotten a scholarship too. I will wait for my scholarship decision from HEC and then decide on the way forward.

Saleh
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2019, 05:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 184 posts ] 

Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sjas31