Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
Provided I am happy with my GMAT at the end of the month, I'll be in Round 1. If it is not "above the bar", then Round 2. Like everyone else, I am having a good time pondering the sound of one hand clapping whilst writing essay #1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
this may sound like a dumb question - but are hyperlinks, images etc ok to be put in the essay? i am trying to (literally) give a colorful picture of who i am and these would be nice to use, if allowed. any thoughts?

also, wondering if anyone knows if jerry porras is active and teaching organizational behavior at stanford gsb or at stanford in general? any insight would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance! also, WAKE UP STANFORD THREAD!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Sloan & Haas (interview withdrawn)
 Q47  V47
Send PM
I'm no expert, but I would stay away from anything but text.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
ROLL CALL PAGE UPDATED
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

About a week ago I was multi-tasking (probably not a good idea) between my application and a few other things. I was switching browser windows....and accidentally hit the "Submit" button instead of the Logout button. I nearly had a heart attack. My app still has loads of gaps so I'm sure it would have just given me an error page but I didn't even wait for the page to load. I pressed the back button and then proceeeded to refresh the home/main page a few thousand times to make sure the status said "Not Submitted"

Whew.

Why do they put those buttons so close together anyways?! ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
That's funny! I was really paranoid about doing something like that as well... but then I realized that there are multiple steps involved in "Submit," so you can't really mess it up. They won't take your application until you pay up! I've actually been using the submit button pretty regularly because the first page it brings you to is one where you can see your formatted application in PDF, and it's much easier to review the materials this way than in the unformatted html version. You can go to this first submission page, print the PDF, and then head back to the regular application workspace with no damage.

snowhappy wrote:
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

About a week ago I was multi-tasking (probably not a good idea) between my application and a few other things. I was switching browser windows....and accidentally hit the "Submit" button instead of the Logout button. I nearly had a heart attack. My app still has loads of gaps so I'm sure it would have just given me an error page but I didn't even wait for the page to load. I pressed the back button and then proceeeded to refresh the home/main page a few thousand times to make sure the status said "Not Submitted"

Whew.

Why do they put those buttons so close together anyways?! ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
can anyone shed some light on the short questions? i am tempted to think that they are not THAT important because there isnt much room to showcase yourself much. although they are in the same document as the other two, so i presume that the same characteristics, story etc should come through.

any opinions?

also, when i read the 4 questions, it almost seems to me that option A and option C are geared towards entrepreneurially-bent applicants and the other two are for people that want a career in corporations. does anybody agree or disagree?

Essay 3: Option A: Tell us about a time when you built or developed a team whose performance exceeded expectations.
Essay 3: Option B: Tell us about a time when you made a lasting impact on your organization.
Essay 3: Option C: Tell us about a time when you motivated others to support your vision or initiative.
Essay 3: Option D: Tell us about a time when you went beyond what was defined, established, or expected.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
I went to a Stanford info session last night which was pretty damn impressive. One interesting thing I took away from it was an alum who said he didn't necessarily think there's a good ROI case for going to b-school... that his peers who stayed in finance industry are still a year or two ahead of him career wise. But he said that the biggest justification was sort of the broadening of your capabilities and opportunities, which had a lot of value by itself. I found that interesting, usually the alums would never admit that it doesn't make tons of financial sense to get an MBA. It's definitely something i've been struggling with since I think the opportunity cost is just too high, I'm trying to find other reasons to return. Anyways, the info session was excellent - easily the best i've seen so far. I'd highly recommend checking it out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for the response snowhappy. i had not thought of that framework for the essays.

i was putting off working on the resume until later but now makes sense to do that before tackling essay 3.

how is everyone else's app coming? i am planning to take a break from stanford now and focus on other schools. let the essays sit and ripen for a bit :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
I'm chugging along. I'm probably 90% on my essays. Just feel like they could use a little more refining for me to be completely happy with them. I'm letting them sit for a week or so as well... my brain starts to spin when I keep rereading at this point!

I can't believe the deadline is so quickly approaching. I'm starting to get super nervous - am I going to feel like this for the next 3 months?! Someone needs to start a countdown until December 16th :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
judging by the lack of activity in this thread, i'm inclined to believe that very few people are applying to stanford this year! more space for those of us that are!

i'm about done with essays and most of the app ... trying to make sense of the whole thing as one package now. 2 out of 3 recos are also in. phew! the process started as painful, then fun, then very painful and now just getting to the point of keeping fingers crossed and hoping that it works out.

hows everybody else doing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Hi!

Submitted my application to Stanford! Recos also submitted....whoooooff!!

Loved the essays...Especially happy with the dread what matters essay :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
I'm moving to Round 2 on this one. Good luck Round 1 players.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I submitted my application last night!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can anyone help with the legacy question...My recommender wants some details..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Applying in R2!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Product Management
Schools:Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU
 Q47  V41
Send PM
From Stanford MBA Admission Blog:

"Round One Interviews Begin

Today we extended our first interview invitation for the 2009-2010 application year. This is just the first invitation of many, but we thought it was worth celebrating.

Just as a reminder, the Round One application deadline is 7 October. We will be extending interview invitations up until the decision notification deadline of 16 December."
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts