Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Rajiv,
Quick question- how did you go about getting the alumni contacts? Did you just ask the admissions committee via email or did you request when you visited Tuck?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dosa,

If you want to contact some students you can find some link I believe on the Tuck website. You fill in some e-form or you send an email, I did before applying last year but I 've forgotten the exact name. The administration will then send you the email of a current student.

If you visit it's even better since you can meet with a few people, take their name and feel free to ask for their email. But do ask for their name so that later on you can ask the administration for their email. It's not just about network but it's also a good way to navigate through the different profiles so you can have a better idea of the mix of students there and if you like it or not.

Also, be honest and natural, don't be too stressed but most importantly behave well at Tuck since the administration takes our opinions very seriously about any prospective visiting us. If you meet with students and they really like you then they can definitely help you and even send an email to the admission office to tell how nice you were, etc... Don't dream too much since it's not happenning everyday and it depends a lot on the students but I've personally done it this year for one candidate. I don't know how much weight they put on our opinion but even if it's 5% you should act properly when you are at the school. No worries though, I believe we usually welcome our prospective students very well and we are all conscious that the atmosphere and the small/strong network is our brand so nobody is going to bother you or to ask you some brain teaser. Relax and enjoy. Talk to as many people as possible.

It also depends on your nationality, if you are not from the US you should mention it to the admnistration and they can put you in touch with someone from your country at Tuck, it's usually a nice way to start.

2nd year Tuck
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here's a link to Tuck Connections form: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admission ... _form.html (it's offline for the summer period, so check it back in Sep). I used it last year, got connected with an alumnus, learned a lot from him.

I just want to say that Tuck people are really open and easy to approach.

Also my interviewer last year connected me with two students from my country, and it was useful experience as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
Hey Rajiv,
Quick question- how did you go about getting the alumni contacts? Did you just ask the admissions committee via email or did you request when you visited Tuck?

hi dosa_don,

you can use the "tuck connections" link that is provided here... however, you will probably have to wait till fall for that... if you want to start right now, try emailing admissions... they are very helpful
Current Student
Send PM
Importance of the various factors in an app [#permalink]
I am trying to get an idea of the importance of the various factors in an app. My guess:

GPA: 20%
Essays: 35% (Career progression, leadership, teamwork etc)
Reco's: 20%
GMAT: 10%
Interview: 5%
Diversity: 10% (The diversity that you bring to the table)

Can anyone else take a guess on these?
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Re: Importance of the various factors in an app [#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
I am trying to get an idea of the importance of the various factors in an app. My guess:

GPA: 20%
Essays: 35% (Career progression, leadership, teamwork etc)
Reco's: 20%
GMAT: 10%
Interview: 5%
Diversity: 10% (The diversity that you bring to the table)

Can anyone else take a guess on these?

Hmmm... I would not agree with giving to reco's twice as much importance as GMAT and four times more as interviews. I woud definitely value interviews over recos. Also, I do not agree with giving twice more importance to GPA as to GMAT. High GMAT can definitely compensate low GPA. Can stellar GPA compensate low GMAT? Unlikely, in my opinion.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Helg. I am trying to get an idea of how crucial is GPA as mine is kind of low. I have posted the question as a separate thread to get more answers.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
What happened to all the Tuck applicants?! :)

Any other reapplicants here?

I'm done with drafts for Essay 1, 3, 4 and 6

I've got an idea for the optional essay... but I'm stuck with essay 2... the leadership essay. I'm no napoleon not am I jack welsh... anybody have ideas on leadership?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am working on my Kellogg essays at the moment so tuck has fallen to the wayside. I am trying to get a time when my wife and I can both take off a day and drive to Hanover for a visit (we live a few hours away on the other side of the state). Its a great little town but it sure is tough to visit for a lot of people. If you have the ability to make sure you check out the school in person, not only will it help your decision but it really is different than pretty much any other highly regarded b-school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm trying to get the app done for ED. On a side note, Hanover is an amazing town, think of the ideal New Englad town and that's Hanover. If you don't mind the cold, it's an amazing place. Also, I'm trying to maintain a consistent theme throughout my essays...and need some ideas on how to get some more info about the school. I'm currently working in India so campus visits may be a bit difficult so I sent the adcoms a mail, and am planning to attend the mba event in Bangalore next month. I'll definitely check out the connect page on the website as soon as its up...but in the interim does anyone have any other suggestions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is anyone else having trouble with Essay #3?
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:

Well, I don't, since I already wrote that essay last year and I can hardly be expected to receive within the last 6 months a criticism harder than anything I got during the previous 29 years of my life ;) Maybe I will just introduce some minor corrections the last-year's essay.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey, just a wild thought
I am a big fan of S.King and you know most of his books deal with small New England towns... :yikes like Hanover, yeah... so in a sense I feel like I belong there... should I mention that in my essays? :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
helg wrote:
hey, just a wild thought
I am a big fan of S.King and you know most of his books deal with small New England towns... :yikes like Hanover, yeah... so in a sense I feel like I belong there... should I mention that in my essays? :-D

Haha that would be a very unique introduction, or point to put in your essay. At this point, all I have for essay #3, is a criticism relating to the GMAT. I wanted to take the week off before the GMAT, but my boss refused...initially I was upset (to put it mildly) since I had been putting in 6 day weeks for the past 6 months and had progressed to running two teams within the company. Eventually, I realized that it wasn't much of a punishment but rather a reflection of my work and that the company couldn't afford to let me take time off in late August (we have been experiencing rapid growth and can't afford to let managers take time off). The story ends with my reaching a conclusion with my boss, and so on...it's not really a criticism of my work, but I perceived it as a criticism of my performance and value to the company. Will that work? I know it's a bit folksy but I really can't think of any other major criticisms that aren't "revise the latest draft of the report..." etc.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
helg wrote:
hey, just a wild thought

Haha that would be a very unique introduction, or point to put in your essay. At this point, all I have for essay #3, is a criticism relating to the GMAT. I wanted to take the week off before the GMAT, but my boss refused...initially I was upset (to put it mildly) since I had been putting in 6 day weeks for the past 6 months and had progressed to running two teams within the company. Eventually, I realized that it wasn't much of a punishment but rather a reflection of my work and that the company couldn't afford to let me take time off in late August (we have been experiencing rapid growth and can't afford to let managers take time off). The story ends with my reaching a conclusion with my boss, and so on...it's not really a criticism of my work, but I perceived it as a criticism of my performance and value to the company. Will that work? I know it's a bit folksy but I really can't think of any other major criticisms that aren't "revise the latest draft of the report..." etc.

You know, they ask you about "the hardest criticism or feedback". So, if the hardest you ever got was not letting you to take some days off that may cause raised eyebrows of AdCom.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yea that's what I thought, I guess I have to come up with another topic. Thanks Helg.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
helg wrote:
shmegs wrote:

Well, I don't, since I already wrote that essay last year and I can hardly be expected to receive within the last 6 months a criticism harder than anything I got during the previous 29 years of my life ;) Maybe I will just introduce some minor corrections the last-year's essay.

Helg, how many of your essays are you re-using? I can't seem to get confirmation whether they will look at your old application or not. Well, for me, I received some very new and harsh criticism that turned around well in the end - so I'll be using that.

Can anybody confirm whether it's acceptable to reuse old essays?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29