Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I am currently just working on my outlines, but it is looking like I will fall right around 500. I certainly wouldn't venture much past 600-650... just seems to long. Concise and to the point is the way to go.

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Stick to the average or +/-10% except if it really changes a lot your stories.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Just finished my outlines for Tuck...

Man, that constructive criticism essay was a tough one to come up with a viable topic. How is everyone going on their essays? Anybody else schedule a visit?

I am going to be on campus on the 25th, anyone else interviewing that day?

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:

Man, that constructive criticism essay was a tough one to come up with a viable topic. How is everyone going on their essays? Anybody else schedule a visit?

~Sam

I agree. My understanding is that this is almost same as a failure essay. So I thought of a failure and then brought in some feedback from my professor, as I am talking about an academic failure. I understand that failure should not be too old or too recent, but I did not find any worthwhile story to build other than my academic failure (6 yrs old). Do you think that should be a problem ? The way I built it was that I talked about my failure for around 100 words as its good to be as short as possible and then analyzed the failure and missed opportunities for next 200 words and then last 200 were my learnings from it. In between, I have brought in my professors feedback after the episode.

I am in a slight dilemma whether I can reuse the same story for Ross - challenging situation, essay. Posted this dilemma in Ross thread, but haven't gotten any response about it.

I have scheduled my interview for Tuck interview for 13th Oct. Wanted it as late as possible to prepare well.
Current Student
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

I'm morphing my Wharton setback essay into the Tuck criticism essay...just about to start it so let's hope for the best :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

I agree. My understanding is that this is almost same as a failure essay. So I thought of a failure and then brought in some feedback from my professor, as I am talking about an academic failure. I understand that failure should not be too old or too recent, but I did not find any worthwhile story to build other than my academic failure (6 yrs old). Do you think that should be a problem ? The way I built it was that I talked about my failure for around 100 words as its good to be as short as possible and then analyzed the failure and missed opportunities for next 200 words and then last 200 were my learnings from it. In between, I have brought in my professors feedback after the episode.

I am in a slight dilemma whether I can reuse the same story for Ross - challenging situation, essay. Posted this dilemma in Ross thread, but haven't gotten any response about it.

I have scheduled my interview for Tuck interview for 13th Oct. Wanted it as late as possible to prepare well.

I plan to use the Ross - challenging situation essay for this as well. Will have to change few things but I think they are pretty similar.
Current Student
Send PM
Does anyone have the questions for the recommenders?

cheerio,
ac.
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:

cheerio,
ac.

Aaaand I'm blind :) Found the form. For anyone else who is interested:

1. How long have you known the applicant and in what context? Have you served as the
applicant’s supervisor? If so, please provide approximate dates. Please comment upon the
frequency and nature of your interactions with the applicant.
2. What are the applicant’s three principal strengths? Please provide an example of each.
3. In which three areas can the applicant improve? Please provide an example of each. How
has the applicant worked to address these areas?
4. How does the applicant respond to constructive criticism?
Please compare the applicant on the scale below with others in his/her peer group
whom you have known during your professional career. Please give examples in the space below to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings.
If you would like to provide any additional insights into this individual’s candidacy,
please feel free to attach additional pages.

cheers,
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
prospect wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

I plan to use the Ross - challenging situation essay for this as well. Will have to change few things but I think they are pretty similar.

Good. Great to know that someone else in on the same lines.
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

cheerio,
ac.

Aaaand I'm blind :) Found the form. For anyone else who is interested:

1. How long have you known the applicant and in what context? Have you served as the
applicant’s supervisor? If so, please provide approximate dates. Please comment upon the
frequency and nature of your interactions with the applicant.
2. What are the applicant’s three principal strengths? Please provide an example of each.
3. In which three areas can the applicant improve? Please provide an example of each. How
has the applicant worked to address these areas?
4. How does the applicant respond to constructive criticism?
Please compare the applicant on the scale below with others in his/her peer group
whom you have known during your professional career. Please give examples in the space below to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings.
If you would like to provide any additional insights into this individual’s candidacy,
please feel free to attach additional pages.

cheers,
ac.

3 weaknesses plus constructive criticism is pretty tough. Lots of focus on the negatives. As an example of constructive criticisim, would it be logical for one of your reccomenders to use the same story in your constructive criticism essay? If you claim that's the toughest criticism you ever received (and it came from you supervisor) it would seem odd if your supervisor didnt' mention it in his rec.
Current Student
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
3 weaknesses plus constructive criticism is pretty tough. Lots of focus on the negatives. As an example of constructive criticisim, would it be logical for one of your reccomenders to use the same story in your constructive criticism essay? If you claim that's the toughest criticism you ever received (and it came from you supervisor) it would seem odd if your supervisor didnt' mention it in his rec.

I think it's okay if you don't mention the toughest criticism you ever received as one of the 3 weaknesses. It could have been neg feedback you got a few years back and have since corrected (my story :)). It could also have been delivered by someone other than your direct supervisor so your direct supervisor may not want to speak to it in the recommendation....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Hi,

I just completed my 1st draft for essay 1 - 780 words long. Although it might seem long, I dont really know as to wht I should be cutting. The goals essay in general are always at least 750 words long. I have a quick question. how many words did u all use to explain "why tuck"?

Thanks,
Current Student
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
Hi,

I just completed my 1st draft for essay 1 - 780 words long. Although it might seem long, I dont really know as to wht I should be cutting. The goals essay in general are always at least 750 words long. I have a quick question. how many words did u all use to explain "why tuck"?

Thanks,

I had that problem too - my first attempt at that essay was around 900 words. I've gotten a fairly solid version of the essay down in 580 words (200 on why tuck, 380 on what I've been doing and what I want to do next). Since Tuck's average essay length is 500 words, I'm comfortable with my 580 count :)
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
nadtrans wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

I had that problem too - my first attempt at that essay was around 900 words. I've gotten a fairly solid version of the essay down in 580 words (200 on why tuck, 380 on what I've been doing and what I want to do next). Since Tuck's average essay length is 500 words, I'm comfortable with my 580 count :)

My essay 1 is 530 words. roughly 280 on why tuck, 250 on what I've done and goals.
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

I think it's okay if you don't mention the toughest criticism you ever received as one of the 3 weaknesses. It could have been neg feedback you got a few years back and have since corrected (my story :)). It could also have been delivered by someone other than your direct supervisor so your direct supervisor may not want to speak to it in the recommendation....

My constuctive criticism story is also from a few years ago that's no longer a problem. Didn't want to write a whole essay on a current problem :) I meant to ask whether it would be expected for your supervisor to use this story when they answer the rec question on how you respond to constructive criticisim
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
nadtrans wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

My essay 1 is 530 words. roughly 280 on why tuck, 250 on what I've done and goals.

My essay 1 is 535 words and here is the split
What I've done - 139 words
My short and long term goals - 222 words
Why MBA + Why Tuck - 174 words
For my essay, why Tuck and why MBA are not separate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
All of my essays are approximately 530 words or so thus far. First one was about 300 why MBA and 230 why Tuck. (I'm a career switcher Accounting to Strategy so I need to sell my transition)

Also, I've been trying to schedule an interview on their website but there are no open days before the R1 deadline. Does anyone know of getting off the waitlist for the interview or am I going to have to push back my app to R2 to ensure that I am interviewed? (I really don't want to do that since Tuck is one of my top choices and everything else will be ready well before the deadline)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37