Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Stats as of Orientation
Students with partners: 42%
Students with children: 10%

Same class, upon graduation 2 years later:
Students with Partners: 63%
Students with children: 63%

Gotta love a snow-packed rural town with nothing to do except.... :-D

perfectexamscore wrote:
isn't new hampshire really cold in winter? what's there to do at Darthmouth?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
Stats as of Orientation
Students with partners: 42%
Students with children: 10%

Same class, upon graduation 2 years later:
Students with Partners: 63%
Students with children: 63%

Gotta love a snow-packed rural town with nothing to do except.... :-D

perfectexamscore wrote:
isn't new hampshire really cold in winter? what's there to do at Darthmouth?

Are those numbers real?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think he is messing with you. However, having talked with lots of students/alums at various schools it does seem common for married couples to get pregnant during second year. It is a pretty good time, you are used to living on one salary. A few people have said internationals sometimes have kids during school because without a visa their wives are at home without working.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Yes, I was joking around with those numbers. Even though I don't have numbers for it, I'm sure there is at least some truth to it, maybe not 63%/63% like I said, but maybe some truth. I'm sure there will be a baby-boom in the midwest due to the ice storms we experienced last December/January. Ok, enough about this, the conversation digressed rather quickly.

Is Tuck a school that really likes the 80/80 split that people talk about? Also, is the 80/80 split a myth someone with an 80/80 split made up in order to appear even better? I hope adcoms like it because I scored Quant 79% and Verbal 95%.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
Yes, I was joking around with those numbers. Even though I don't have numbers for it, I'm sure there is at least some truth to it, maybe not 63%/63% like I said, but maybe some truth. I'm sure there will be a baby-boom in the midwest due to the ice storms we experienced last December/January. Ok, enough about this, the conversation digressed rather quickly.

Is Tuck a school that really likes the 80/80 split that people talk about? Also, is the 80/80 split a myth someone with an 80/80 split made up in order to appear even better? I hope adcoms like it because I scored Quant 79% and Verbal 95%.

dont know about tuck, but i remember a wharton adcom explicitly mentioning the 80/80 split when i visited campus last year
SVP
SVP
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I think he is messing with you. However, having talked with lots of students/alums at various schools it does seem common for married couples to get pregnant during second year.

Banking/consulting signing bonuses must assist with that phenomenom.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
eileen1017 wrote:
I am interested in applying for Tuck 2009 as well. What are all you guys career objectives are? I am not really interested in either IB or consulting. I am interested in Healthcare management. Tuck has the healthcare initiative.

A lot of the big names in Healthcare recruit at Tuck. Generally, there are only 5-10 students per class interested in Healthcare from what I have heard, but you are correct - the Healthcare initiative is a pretty big deal over there and they are definitely trying to ramp things up.

I have been thinking things over a bit regarding Tuck. I think that Tuck has a reputation as being "difficult to recruit from" for non-traditional fields. I really feel that this reputation was earned back in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s before the Internet became main stream. Back then, I could imagine that it would be sort of a pain to find job postings and openings, fax or mail your resume and cover letters around, etc. Nowadays, I think that most employers can get a pretty good feel for who you are over the phone and it is easy to reach out to different recruiters and companies via e-mail. Yes, it's still a pain to hop on a 2 hour bus ride to Boston Logan Airport, but I can certainly think of worse inconveniences.

If the wonders of technology can allow remote work arrangements for people who live in rural areas - I really doubt that it would be very difficult nowadays for a go-getter at Tuck to land a job anywhere they want to in the world. One example - look at Tuck's placement record in private equity/venture capital. It's truly impressive, and even more so when you consider that th school is in Hanover. These firms don't recruit on campus very much.

Plus, Tuck is improving its curriculum in the new technology departments.

Concerning the time away from major airports: BTW: That was one of my major concerns as well.

1. If you're in Downtown NY, it takes you at least an hour to get to an airport as well in heavy traffic.
2. For 2nd round interviews, companies normally pay for your flight. That way, you can use one of the closer airports (eg Manchester) - which you normally wouldnt as prices are way steeper from and to there - and Manchester is only an hour away.

Concerning things to do:

As long as there is no snow: Oh the great outdoors: I am looking forward to a lot of hiking, mountain biking, lakes etc. Its beautiful up there.
Winter: Skiing (Dartmouth Skiway!), Hockey, Gym. Movies, Theatre, Trips.

But: Seriously, who expects to do much of anything in their first year?
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Just got an email back from Tuck admissions regarding my question about the 80/80 split. Didn't really even address my actual question of the 80/80 split. No where in the email did they specifically mention the 80/80 split, it was just generic stuff about no minimum GMAT score but the 2008 class has an average of 710. That's higher than 2007 for sure!

Tuck Response: wrote:
Thank you for your email and your interest in the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Tuck does not have a minimum GMAT score, TOEFL score or GPA requirement - admitted students have a range of scores. If you do not score well on any part of the GMAT or TOEFL, we encourage you to take the exam again in an effort to improve your score. For the Class of 2008 the average score was 710 and the admitted - student range was 560-790. The average TOEFL score was 274 and the admitted-student range was 250-300. The GPA was 3.4.

The admissions committee takes into consideration your highest test score. The Tuck application allows students to report up to two GMAT test scores. If you have scored better on one test in the verbal section and better on the other in quantitative section, we will consider your highest quantitative and highest verbal scores.

Thank you again for your interest, and please let us know if you have any additional questions as the application process continues.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Hey Guys,

I have been interested in this school for a while. I am an applicant from India, but have been staying in U.S. for over 6 years. I am married, a bit atypical of most applicants on this forum. After taking a few years of experience in United States, I plan to return to India.

I have stayed in rural US for a while and that doesn't bother me much. I also like Tuck's emphasis on General Management. Also, "Married" school works out better for me than "single" one. I have talked to a couple of Tuck alums and they absolutely loved their life in the school.
However (damn that h word :) ), I have a few queries

1. I have a feeling that Tuck's brand is not as well recognized internationally as it is in US. Many of my friends who work in Consulting/ Management positions haven't even heard about the school. A lot of people don't even know that Dartmouth is an ivy-league school. Do you think that it is a potential problem going forward?

2. Are there any big companies around Hanover (Except Boston which is farther than my wife is willing to commute) where spouses can find employment? My wife is currently working and I really don't want her to sit at home neither are we ready for LDR.

3. How bad is Hanover winter compared to Columbus OH? I have stayed there for a couple of years and didn't like the winter that much, but then I used to commute to my work place.

Appreciate all the responses.

Originally posted by aakashganga on 29 Jul 2008, 17:49.
Last edited by aakashganga on 30 Jul 2008, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have been interested in this school for a while. I am an applicant from India, but have been staying in U.S. for over 6 years. I am married, a bit atypical of most applicants on this forum. After taking a few years of experience in consulting in United States, I plan to return to India.

I have stayed in rural US for a while and that doesn't bother me much. I also like Tuck's emphasis on General Management. Also, "Married" school works out better for me than "single" one. I have talked to a couple of Tuck alums and they absolutely loved their life in the school.
However (damn that h word :) ), I have a few queries

1. I have a feeling that Tuck's brand is not as well recognized internationally as it is in US. Many of my friends who work in Consulting/ Management positions haven't even heard about the school. A lot of people don't even know that Dartmouth is an ivy-league school. Do you think that it is a potential problem going forward?

2. Are there any big companies around Hanover (Except Boston which is farther than my wife is willing to commute) where spouses can find employment? My wife is currently working and I really don't want her to sit at home neither are we ready for LDR.

3. How bad is Hanover winter compared to Columbus OH? I have stayed there for a couple of years and didn't like the winter that much, but then I used to commute to my work place.

Appreciate all the responses.

A few thoughts for you:

for #2: off hand, I don't know of large companies around the Hanover area...what about working at Dartmouth in some capacity? in admissions, student life, etc? I've heard that in many cases, spouses of international students can more easily find employment with the university...

for #3: the weather in Hanover is similar to Columbus...just quite a bit snowier :) not sure about absolute numbers in terms of inches snow/year or anything but it feels like the snow in Hanover just sticks a lot longer...and refuses to melt! :lol:

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
hey all, i think i'm in....
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
with a username like tuck20xx I figured you'd be more than in :-D
Current Student
Send PM
Has anyone tried to schedule a campus visit? I am visiting Boston at the end of this month and thinking of visiting Tuck as well. But, the website doesn't allow scheduling a campus visit. Here is the URL: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/visit.html

If anyone can figure out how to schedule a visit, please let me know. If I visit the campus, I would write about my experience at Tuck. Please let me know.

P.S. It seems Tuck does a poor job of updating its website. I still see 2007 interview reference on the web page above.
"Applicant-initiated interviews:

Tuck offers all applicants the opportunity to interview on campus in Hanover. Interviews are scheduled online on a first-come, first-served basis, so please request an interview as soon as you decide to apply. On-campus interviews begin in September 2007. Please schedule your interview online at least five days prior to the date you'd like to visit. Your interview must be completed by the published deadline for the round in which you are applying. Please note that all applicant-initiated interviews are conducted on campus only.
"

Definitely not something that you can expect from a well-known school. :roll:
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
ha yeah except it could be 2009 or 2015
Current Student
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Has anyone tried to schedule a campus visit? I am visiting Boston at the end of this month and thinking of visiting Tuck as well. But, the website doesn't allow scheduling a campus visit. Here is the URL: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/visit.html

If anyone can figure out how to schedule a visit, please let me know. If I visit the campus, I would write about my experience at Tuck. Please let me know.

P.S. It seems Tuck does a poor job of updating its website. I still see 2007 interview reference on the web page above.
"Applicant-initiated interviews:

Tuck offers all applicants the opportunity to interview on campus in Hanover. Interviews are scheduled online on a first-come, first-served basis, so please request an interview as soon as you decide to apply. On-campus interviews begin in September 2007. Please schedule your interview online at least five days prior to the date you'd like to visit. Your interview must be completed by the published deadline for the round in which you are applying. Please note that all applicant-initiated interviews are conducted on campus only.
"

Definitely not something that you can expect from a well-known school. :roll:

Tuck really is in its own little bubble and sometimes that leads to websites not getting updated. This doesn't really apply for adcom controlled sites but when I visited a student was telling me that the school had to threaten to pull funding from any clubs that didn't update their website because nobody was updating the club sites. He said they are in such a little bubble there that they sometimes forget the rest of the world exists. The students don't need to use websites to get info because they all see eachother every day and everybody has everyone elses email address (they do a lot of mass emailing). The admin got on their cases though because for prospectives and others outside the bubble the websites are the face of the school.
Current Student
Send PM
So how could one schedule a campus visit?

The website doesn't help much in this regard.
Current Student
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
So how could one schedule a campus visit?

The website doesn't help much in this regard.

They just haven't set their class visit schedule for next year yet. There are no classes right now. I would imagine it will be up within the next few weeks. Once it's up, you just pick a date and time and sign up thorugh the website. That's what I did for my visit last year, it's very simple.

Edit: Just saw that you want to visit the end of this month. I don't think they will be doing class visits yet. I think they start in September.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37