It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all UCLA-Anderson Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

UCLA Anderson 2015-2016 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 14:44

The UCLA Anderson School of Management has announced the following application deadlines for the 2015-2016 MBA admissions season.
Round 1
Application due: October 6, 2015

Decision released: December 15, 2015
Round 2
Application due: January 5, 2016

Decision released: March 29, 2016
Round 3
Application due: April 12, 2016

Decision released: May 24, 2016

Completed applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. PST on the day of the deadline. Rounds 1 and 2 are comparable in terms of your chances of admission, the school explains, adding that Round 3 is slightly more competitive, although there will be sufficient room for strong candidates. Apply at the time that is best for you.

For more information, please visit the UCLA Anderson School of Management admissions website.

Join us and @GMATClubForum https://goo.gl/p73IYG

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Another Great Consortium Orientation Program (OP) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2015, 20:01
FROM NewsUCLA: Another Great Consortium Orientation Program (OP)
Last Wednesday I returned from another successful Consortium Orientation Program (OP). This year's OP was held in Phoenix so we had incoming Consortium students travelling from all around the US to join us.

Here is a picture of our amazing incoming UCLA Anderson Consortium students.

If you are not familiar with The Consortium, "The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management is the nation's largest diversity network, linking top tier students, leading MBA programs and corporate partners, including Fortune 500 companies." The mission of The Consortium "is to reduce the underrepresentation of African Americans, Native Americans and Hispanic Americans in education and business."

Now let's get back to OP. OP, as the full name indicates, is the orientation program that takes place every June for incoming Consortium students who will begin their MBA program in the fall. OP is more than just an orientation program, it's an opportunity for all of the incoming Consortium students from the 18 universities to come together, get to know their classmates from their respective MBA programs, meet incoming Consortium students from all of the universities, and grow personally and professionally through a series of seminars, workshops, and networking opportunities.

I always look forward to OP because it is the first event where I finally get to meet all of our incoming Consortium students. It's great to see our students bursting with energy and enthusiasm as they prepare to begin their MBA. It's amazing to see how quickly they bond with one another and start building life-long friendships.

The overall OP experience is always memorable, but one of the really memorable moments of this past OP was meeting Mrs. Lonnie Ali. Not only is Mrs. Lonnie Ali a successful business woman and entrepreneur, a very active philanthropist, and an ardent advocate for Parkinson's Disease research, but she is also a UCLA Anderson Alumna who volunteered her time to meet with our students. It was an incredible opportunity for them to learn about her story, her passion, and also get some advice as they begin their own journeys.

We were even fortunate enough to take a picture with Mrs. Lonnie Ali.

I'm looking forward to many more memorable moments at next year's OP!

If you support The Consortium's mission and are interested in learning more about the organization, please visit their website.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

MLT Summer Seminar: Why it's worth the exhaustion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 04:01
FROM NewsUCLA: MLT Summer Seminar: Why it's worth the exhaustion
I'm happy to say that I have survived another MLT Summer Seminar! I say survived because it was a jam-packed weekend where we (my colleague Frankie Sandoval and I) interacted with 290 MLT Fellows and connected with our counterparts from other MBA programs. Before I delve further into explaining why the weekend was so exhausting, yet rewarding, let me provide some information on the MLT organization.

MLT is an organization that is focused on "equipping high potential minorities with the winning playbook and personalized coaching that allows them to reach their full leadership potential". MLT offers four different programs to their members and we work specifically with prospective MBA students through their MBA Prep Program.

The MLT Summer Seminar is a demanding weekend that begins at 7:00 AM on Saturday morning, goes all day, and then resumes on Sunday morning at 7:00 AM again. This year's MLT Summer Seminar took us to Boston over the weekend of June 19th - 21st. We had a great time meeting with MBA Fellows (as they are referred to), speaking with them about the general benefits of an MBA, providing greater insight about UCLA Anderson specifically, and helping to steer them in the right direction as they continue down the path to one day being active and successful students in an MBA program (hopefully ours).

The weekend consists of shared meals between MBA Fellows and school representatives, speed networking sessions, panels, and a school fair - every opportunity is an opportunity to connect and learn. In addition to everything that I just mentioned, Fellows also have to attend events organized by the host school(s), professional development sessions, and meet with their MLT coaches! This may all seem a little daunting but it's definitely worth the time invested. Fellows walk away with a greater understanding of why they want to pursue an MBA and how to go about reaching their goals; while school representatives walk away feeling excited about the work that we do and looking forward to hopefully having some of these accomplished Fellows join our programs in the near future.

Here we are, starting the day off right with a little continental breakfast and conversation.

If you would like to learn more about MLT, please visit their website.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Calling all UCLA-Anderson Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2015, 11:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Finally got one Application feedback from the school which didn't even give me the interview call - UCLA Anderson

Back ground : Indian Applicant with 9 years of work ex in Software Product development.
GMAT : 760 (49/44)
TOEFL : 106 (speaking 22) - later 18th March - 108 (Speaking 24)

1) Negative aspect : "TOEFL score is an issue".
As per the minimum score of UCLA school it is 24 in speaking. After submitting TOEFL score of 106, I didn't get a call for the interview and early admits were announced. I thought let me retake TOEFL exam and break that minimum score of 24 which I did. I asked the admissions team whether they can accept latest TOEFL.

The admission team response "in regards to your TOEFL scores, we do not send out interview invitations based on any one specific aspect of an application; even though UCLA graduate division has recommended minimums for test scores, we at Anderson do not enforce strict minimums"

So i thought it shouldn't be an issue till I got Ding without interview on 2nd April.

2) Positive aspect : "No concern about academic abilities"

3) Negative aspect : "Progression not clear in the resume"
In current company my senior manager has 10 reportees (direct and indirect) and I have 3. I have held leadership position since 2 years of experience. I am not sure how can I make it more clear.
I have all calls apart from Anderson. So I think they thought I have progressed well or at least descent.

4) Negative aspect : Resume doesn't have much of extra curricular.
I am playing the role of only user mod in Pagalguy.com for the last 2 years. Pagalguy.com recently bagged $20M funding (http://www.livemint.com/Companies/vcLwl ... ation.html) - Yes I am not directly involved in this but at least some part of contribution.
I have contributed 100 Quant items to VeritasPrep tests.
I have provided consulting services to some of the GMAT test prep companies.

Yes, I don't have Teach America or Teach India initiatives but I have been mentoring students for the last 4 years.

Later it was told that timelines were not clear. Am I supposed to put dates for all those activities? I am not sure. Normally I haven't seen any time lines for extra currciulars- May be somebody can high light. I have highlighted my contribution in optional essay - May be not exact time lines but yes. I can accept may be I need to define time lines in my essay.

5) Negative aspect : Essay didn't high light personal fit
I actually high lighted about the curriculum and clubs and organization and why Anderson. I talked about Easton Leadership , DOTM, special courses and offcourse AMR.
I highlighted the fit for three principals through my work place and challenges I faced in my work place.

Yes, I should have worked on my essays and talked about my involvement more -> that's the only point I can take it away.

I am done. May be it might help others who are applying to Anderson.

Learnings:
1) TOEFL matters > 110
2) Essays -> personal fit
3) Extra curriculars -> Highlight in the essays

Pretty disappointing that even after putting a hell lot of hard work , I couldn't even get an interview call.

Anyway, VISA approved so Tepper and CMU, here I come. :-D

All the best guys and girls !! Nail the schools !! and never give up !!

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Sales (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Calling all UCLA-Anderson Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 14:08
WL in R3 ;-(, anyone still working on to get in Anderson?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 11:21
The MBA Recruiting Process – Insights from Darden ’15 Grad and CEO of RelishMBA

Hello from the RelishMBA team, and congratulations on being admitted to the MBA Class of 2017! My name is Sarah, and I’m a recent Darden School of Business graduate who founded RelishMBA, an online recruiting platform built specifically for the business school recruiting market. As a recent grad who works full-time in the MBA recruitment space, I wanted to share some recruiting advice and tips to help you prepare for arriving on campus at Anderson.

The first thing to be aware of is that MBA recruiting is a long and intense process. Recruiting activities begin quickly once you’re on campus and they take up a huge amount of your time and energy for most of your first year. While virtually all top MBA students have great jobs available to them, finding those jobs can be frustrating and stressful, with relevant information often hard to find and a complex networking process that can be tough to effectively manage. I started RelishMBA to address these problems and make the process more efficient for both students and employers.

The summer is a great time to get started with recruiting processes (while you don’t have to worry about school, student clubs, social life, and the dozens of other activities that fill up your time during first year). Luckily, there are a few things you can do to prepare before school starts in August: Relax. Explore. Prepare.

Relax – business school is a big change from the working world; take a bit of time off. You deserve it and you’ll need the break!

Explore – In your time relaxing, begin checking out what industries and companies recruit MBAs. This is something RelishMBA helps with. Sign-up at RelishMBA.com to begin exploring employer’s company pages on MBA Careers specific for your school (“day in the life” alumni testimonials, on-campus presence, key points of contact, etc.).

Prepare – And lastly, get your resume ready. Below are some tips from my experience.
It’s also important to remember that once you’re on campus, you’ll be networking with recruiters and alumni frequently – and RelishMBA will help you here too, through relationship management tools that make it easy to stay on top of your networking game. Have any questions? Reach out anytime at recruit@relishmba.com.

Resume Tips:

1) Writing your resume is your first Marketing assignment

Your resume is essentially a one-page advertisement designed to sell your brand to employers. But as your first year marketing class will tell you, marketing is about a lot more than just a fancy design and a few well-placed buzzwords. Think about your audience (i.e. who will be reading your resume? Finance recruiters? Consultants? Marketers? Others?) and how you are positioning yourself with that audience (i.e. what work experiences would be most relevant or interesting to the recruiters reading your resume?).

For example, if you’re headed up to Wall Street, focus on the more quantitatively rigorous parts of your work experience, and try to make sure that your resume as a whole reflects an interest in and passion for finance and its associated disciplines. Future consultants will want to highlight problem-solving and analytical thinking. Marketers could talk about leading cross-functional teams or point out examples of especially effective communication.

And if you are not sure what you want to do, don’t sweat it – there are lots of you out there, and it’s no big deal for the next few weeks or months. But regardless of your eventual industry or function targets, remember: your resume is not just a chronicle of your past work achievements; it is an advertisement designed to effectively sell you and your brand to recruiters.

2) Be concise but specific

This is one of the more difficult parts of honing your resume: providing specific examples of relevant work accomplishments in a way that a recruiter can easily digest in a few seconds. Try starting each bullet point with a strong action word. Instead of saying something like “Helped to more than double sales during tenure in catchment area,” try something like “Launched blogger outreach program that increased web traffic by 72% and increased sales by 120%”.

These sorts of hard numbers are really helpful, especially since many recruiters will spend only a few seconds looking at your resume and those numbers stand out on the page. So it’s also important to be sure that your bullet points can be read and processed easily. And if you don’t have a lot of specific numbers to add to your resume, it’s still important to be specific about your accomplishments and to pick your words wisely.

3) Add some flair

You should be careful with how much flair you add to your resume, but it’s a good idea to think of ways to set yourself apart from the competition. The “Personal” section at the bottom of your resume, where you list hobbies, activities, and interests, is an easy place to hook a recruiter (or break the ice in an interview). Only mention things that are truly a part of your life, but still consider your audience and which of your hobbies or experiences might be of interest to the recruiters reading your resumes. Once you reach campus, you’ll hear plenty of stories about students who were able to land first or even second-round interviews largely on the basis of what seem like minor resume items.

Other ways to add flair:

-Were you kind of a big deal in college? It’s worthwhile to mention any particularly important or impressive extracurriculars from your undergrad days (particularly leadership roles), and including club affiliations and other school-specific positions can be a good idea once you get onto campus

-Recruiters are looking to hire real people, not business robots. Make sure your resume – the accomplishments you choose to mention, the structure and content of the Personal section – reflects your personality.

4) Don’t be careless

This is the part where we tell you that a few people every year submit resumes with misspelled words or mismatched fonts or other significant but easily avoidable mistakes, and that you could be one of those people if you’re not careful, and you think “I’d never be that much of an idiot,” and then you send your resume to McKinsey or Google with your name spelled wrong at the top. Don’t be that person.
Seriously, just get a friend to read it. Several friends. Have a resume-reading party. But don’t spell your name wrong.

Have any questions? Reach out anytime at recruit@relishmba.com

Sincerely,
RelishMBA Team

RelishMBA is a centralized recruiting platform designed to streamline how students at top business school connect with the companies that recruit them. With filtered search tools and customizable profile pages, students and recruiters can find and target candidates and firms with the best fit. Access all of your school’s recruiting resources from one platform and easily track your networking relationships. An exclusive network for MBAs, Career Services, and Employers.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 210

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 15:29
For those of you applying to the Class of 2018, you can find the thread here, calling-all-ucla-anderson-applicants-2016-intake-class-of-200200.html.

My MBA blog: http://www.mbaafterlife.com/
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/iamjameskenichi
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jameskhuntington

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 210

Manager
Manager

new essay question for 2015-16 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 17:01
FROM NewsUCLA: new essay question for 2015-16
As our new MBA application goes live on August 1, you will find a new question for our 1 required essay:

We believe that the best results are achieved when you share success, think fearlessly and drive change. With this in mind, what are your goals at UCLA Anderson and in your short-term and long-term career?

The best essays show that you understand our school's culture and how to use it to optimize your future. As shown in our UCLA Anderson video, three principles form our foundation. First, we SHARE SUCCESS within our community as we collaborate to achieve goals. While working together, we THINK FEARLESSLY to go past the obvious, to go around the obstacles — with our sights set on making a real impact. And with the opportunity for impact comes our desire to DRIVE CHANGE as a result of all that we do.

What does this mean for your specific plans? Ideally you start by thinking about your long-term goals and work backwards to show what you would do to "hit the ground running" at UCLA Anderson. For example, if you want to head up marketing for a technology company, you could drive change by helping the firm to discover and respond to niches in the market. Thinking fearlessly might entail taking international assignments to gain experience meeting global demands. Serving on cross-functional teams is also a good way to share success across boundaries on the way up. Naturally you should do research on potential career paths in order to feature details that resonate with you, so the admissions committee can sense your contagious excitement.

Demonstrating your excitement for UCLA Anderson is a key element as well. Student groups are natural venues to share success and are a vital part of any career search, so in this example it is smart to highlight the Marketing Association and High Tech Business Association. Thinking fearlessly about the future with the help of TED talks here can complement mentoring via your Anderson Career Team. To learn to drive change in the real world, UCLA Anderson's Applied Management Research (AMR) program can't be beat, and you can even affect future generations of students through the Admissions Ambassador Corps (AAC). As always, the most compelling essays are the ones that weave together student opportunities at this school with clear goals for the future.

Whatever your target may be, your essay is the platform to distinguish yourself with your passion, clarity, planning and eloquence. Refining your career plans once you get here is fine, but first your application should make a compelling case for how you would use the UCLA Anderson MBA to build on your transferable skills to reach a distinctive future. Students thrive in our culture as they undertake their metamorphosis, so just explain how this would work for you and what exhilarating long-term results you will see.

Manager
Manager

Application Tip - Letters of Recommendation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 10:01
FROM NewsUCLA: Application Tip - Letters of Recommendation
Hi readers, following our last blog post by Craig about our new essay question, today's post is all about the letters of recommendation.  This year, we made the decision to increase the number of recommendations to two based on feedback from our applicants, who said this would give them a chance to provide multiple perspectives on their strengths and readiness for b-school.  We also noticed in the last few years that many candidates ended up submitting two recommendation letters anyway.  We will monitor how useful the additional recommendation is for the admissions committee as well as for applicants to determine if we will continue with this policy in future application cycles!

The letters of recommendation are very helpful in providing a third party's perspective on your leadership and management potential, readiness/fit for business school, interpersonal skills and teamwork abilities.  We prefer a letter from your direct supervisor whenever possible. However, we understand that circumstances may prevent you from asking your current supervisor; in this case an indirect supervisor (people who have overseen projects you’ve worked on, a manager from another department, etc.) is a good option, as well as former employers, clients (especially for those of you who are self-employed) and supervisors from extracurricular organizations. Academic references (i.e., a professor from a class you took) are not very helpful because the questions on the recommendation form are best answered by someone with whom you work(ed).  I would also steer away from family members as recommendation providers, so if your direct supervisor is someone you are related to, consider one of the other options above as an alternative.  In free-response questions, generic answers will not be as helpful as detailed ones with specific examples.  As such, having an executive with whom you have little direct experience working for write your recommendation is less beneficial compared to a manager you work with daily, who has seen your professional growth and impact firsthand.

After selecting your recommendation providers, it's very important to spend some time prepping these folks on the letter's purpose and what we're looking for.  This is the only part of the application that you don't write yourself (I hope!) but you can definitely provide input by discussing your reasons for going to business school and post-MBA career plans, and by refreshing your recommender on your accomplishments in the workplace.  It's a small investment of time on your part, but your recommenders will absolutely appreciate your insight because it will make their job easier!

What are your questions about the letters of recommendation? Let us know in the comments or send us an email.

Manager
Manager

Application Tip - Academics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 17:01
FROM NewsUCLA: Application Tip - Academics
Continuing with our blog series on application tips, it's time to discuss academics. Academics are an important component of the application process because it is necessary for every admitted student to have a strong academic profile in order to do well in the MBA program. In considering the academic potential of each applicant, the admissions committee evaluates prior academic experience as well as tests, either the GMAT or GRE, as well as the TOEFL or IELTS (for applicants who earned their degree/s in a foreign country where the official language is something other than English). Although this blog will focus on academics, such as prior academic work, next week's blog will cover tests so make sure to check back in with us.

When we evaluate prior academic experience, we thoroughly review undergraduate transcripts as well as graduate transcripts (if provided). In evaluating transcripts there are several things that we consider, including: the rigor of the school, the courseload associated with each major, as well as grade trends. So don't worry too much if you got off to a slow start as long as you were able to improve your grades with time as you learned new study methods and got more comfortable with your major. In general we try to give applicants the benefit of the doubt, so a few lower grades can be offset by higher ones. Although not required, graduate coursework can contribute to a candidate's academic profile, as can additional classes taken post-undergrad. Courses such as accounting, statistics, or economics are usually the best ones to show good academic preparation, but not required since we always want to admit students with diverse perspectives, including diverse academic backgrounds.

In terms of how we evaluate transcripts from universities around the world, we are familiar with the grading systems and relative rigor for each country, so we understand the context for each applicant's performance. It is not necessary to convert grades to a 4.0 scale since we will examine transcripts according to the grading scale for the school attended.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this blog, academics are only one part of the application process. To learn more about our application process, feel free to read our earlier two blogs covering our new essay and letters of recommendation and check back in with us over the next few weeks as we continue with our blog series on application tips. Good luck!

Application Tip - Academics   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2015, 17:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   [ 1250 posts ] 

Calling all UCLA-Anderson Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mihir0710

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap