Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink]
billb wrote:
Has anyone here applied for or received any veteran-specific scholarships from sources other than their school? Or just non-school scholarships in general? I was accepted with a nice scholarship a few weeks ago but only have a few months left of GI Bill eligibility so making sure I cover all my bases before taking out loans.

Look into the Pat Tillman Foundation--I know a handful of people here who are getting money (and connections to good mentors) through their grad school scholarship program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
EBM wrote:
billb wrote:
Has anyone here applied for or received any veteran-specific scholarships from sources other than their school? Or just non-school scholarships in general? I was accepted with a nice scholarship a few weeks ago but only have a few months left of GI Bill eligibility so making sure I cover all my bases before taking out loans.

Look into the Pat Tillman Foundation--I know a handful of people here who are getting money (and connections to good mentors) through their grad school scholarship program.

Thanks for the response. As I look at some of the programs, it looks like I am well past the application deadlines. Oh well!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
billb wrote:
EBM wrote:
billb wrote:

Thanks for the response. As I look at some of the programs, it looks like I am well past the application deadlines. Oh well!

Well, it may be too late for this academic year, but it's probably worth keeping those programs on your radar to see if you can apply for a scholarship during your 2nd year after your GI Bill has run out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
timbo0205 wrote:
Just curious if anyone here has used the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), then transitioned to the remaining 12 months under Post 9/11 (whether for an MBA or another program).

Example: I have 2 months and 17 days remaining on Chapter 30, and am debating whether to use the remaining time on a summer class so that I can start the program fresh with the Post 9/11. Or use the remaining Chapter 30 benefits during the first semester and then transition to Post 9/11 midway through after I’ve exhausted the remaining benefits under Chapter 30. Considering it’s the VA, I am concerned about how smooth of a transition it will actually be.

Thanks for the feedback

Either way, you're going to be on the hook for about ~6 months of your MBA education, so do you want to foot the bill in the beginning or the end? Using your MGIB to start the MBA might be the best option if you can cover that initial bill and if you've got cash to float you while the VA un-effs itself to get you BAH (you'll get all of it, it's a matter of when). Exhausting that 2 months 17 days over the summer sounds like you'll be using it to do something you're not all that interested in.

Thanks Cobra. That's what I was thinking too, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I found some articles discussing how to negotiate or ask for additional financial aid. Have any of you had success in going back to admissions and requesting extra $$? If so, what was your approach? Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I've heard of that at the undergrad level but not as much at business school. Most of these programs are so competitive they generally don't feel the need to negotiate offers and scholarships. It may be possible though.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just a quick note that we have started offering Military discounts on the GMAT Club tests: gmat-club-military-discounts-152489.html

If you know if any others (besides the application waivers, please post them there).

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did any vets here apply for the BAML diversity fellowship or Deutsche Bank fellowship? Curious if you have scheduled your interviews these coming weeks.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I didn't apply to any of the fellowships, but I have applied to a few pre-MBA or Veteran specific internships. Not sure about your background, but depending on the organization you may want to avoid mentioning your rank. Most of the fellowship/veteran program interviews are more fit less technical from what I have found online or from a few people I talked to that were accepted in previous years.

I interviewed for the Goldman Sachs Veterans internship, they use employees with military backgrounds as the interviewers. I let it slip I was enlisted when discussing one of my positions that was an O4 slot. Interviewer said oh well, um and the rest of interview was awkward. I felt the guy wasn't prepared for the interview in general though, so I kind of got the shaft. Good thing is I have no interest in investment banking.

On the flip side; I spoke with someone at Deloitte, a former officer. He told me just submit my application in Deloitte's Junior Military Officer program even though I wasn't an officer after I had an informational interview with him.

People are people I guess. Best of luck in the fellowships. I am just ready to get classes rolling for the year. Internships are fun, but I am ready to get moving.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
timbo0205 wrote:
Just curious if anyone here has used the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), then transitioned to the remaining 12 months under Post 9/11 (whether for an MBA or another program).

Example: I have 2 months and 17 days remaining on Chapter 30, and am debating whether to use the remaining time on a summer class so that I can start the program fresh with the Post 9/11. Or use the remaining Chapter 30 benefits during the first semester and then transition to Post 9/11 midway through after I’ve exhausted the remaining benefits under Chapter 30. Considering it’s the VA, I am concerned about how smooth of a transition it will actually be.

Thanks for the feedback

Timbo0205-

Long and short of it is you have to exhaust all of your Chapter 30 benefits before transitioning to Post 9/11 or else whatever benefits you have remaining on Chapter 30 when you transition is all you will have remaining in Post 9/11. This excerpt is taken directly from VA Form 22-1990:

"ITEM 9F. If you are eligible for MGIB, MGIB-SR, OR REAP, you must elect to give up eligibility under the program for which you are eligible in order to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33). If you are eligible for more than one of the programs listed (MGIB, MGIB-SR, and REAP), you are only required to give up one of the programs for which you are eligible in order to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You may not receive more than a total of 48 months of benefits under two or more programs. If you elect chapter 33 in lieu of chapter 30, your months of entitlement under chapter 33 will be limited to the number of months of entitlement remaining under chapter 30 on the effective date of your election. However, if you completely exhaust your entitlement under chapter 30 before the effective date of your chapter 33 election, you may receive up to 12 additional months of benefits under chapter 33. If you wish to elect to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, check the box next to the program (only check one box) you are giving up."
Director
Director
Send PM
Posting this here since there's no 2014 thread yet: https://blog.militarytobusiness.com/2013 ... itary.html

Useful information for any vets applying this fall or anytime afterwards.

Disclosure: Yes, I wrote this blog post and yes, I'm now working for MtB on the side. But I'm not going to try to sell anything to anyone on here--I just think that site has lots of good (and free) information that's worth sharing if you haven't seen it before.

Facebook page is here in case you want to see a notice when new posts go up: https://www.facebook.com/MilitaryToBusiness
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
EBM wrote:
Disclosure: Yes, I wrote this blog post and yes, I'm now working for MtB on the side. But I'm not going to try to sell anything to anyone on here--I just think that site has lots of good (and free) information that's worth sharing if you haven't seen it before.

Well I will. If you're applying and considering using a consultant you should seriously consider MtB. As a military applicant I think they are the best choice and reasonably priced. Also, sign up now! The earlier the better, especially since some essays are already out. If you can get some drafts done in July you will get much more prompt service than Aug/Sep when everybody is 2 weeks from the deadline and trying to rush their final edits. Not to mention it gives you more time to really polish your application.
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey, haven't seen a 2014 thread yet, so we thought we'd make an appearance here and let you guys know about EssaySnark's new military section. Just head to our website (can't post links because of the 5-day/5-post rule) and look for the button in the right margin. Among other things you can get a FREE comprehensive profile review as well as discounts on our other services.

Thank you for your service!
Director
Director
Send PM
militaryessaysnark wrote:
Hey, haven't seen a 2014 thread yet, so we thought we'd make an appearance here and let you guys know about EssaySnark's new military section. Just head to our website (can't post links because of the 5-day/5-post rule) and look for the button in the right margin. Among other things you can get a FREE comprehensive profile review as well as discounts on our other services.

Thank you for your service!

Sounds like it's time to kick off a 2014 thread--have at it: calling-all-us-military-fall-2014-applicants-155185.html
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11