Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.55
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2018 Applicants! [#permalink]
Hey guys,

Wanted to see if you guys could see if my expectations are a little aggressive for my stats. I will be applying in 2019 for the class that starts in Fall of 2020.

Stats:
-29 (at application time) White Male.
-Will graduate with an undergrad in Organizational Leadership this December from a no-name school. (3.7-3.9 GPA)
- Completed entire undergrad online while on AD in Navy.
-Starting to prep for GMAT (hoping for a minimum of 700)
-9 years AD all in Navy Special Operations (EOD) Current rank E-6 (should put on E-7 before transition)

-Deployments to Bahrain, South America (ISO Army 7th Special Forces)
-Have every qual you can have an EOD Technician, multiple awards, always promoted first in my year group, worked with multiple different services and nations.
-First in family to go to college

-I started a podcast based on veteran entrepreneurs and their transition stories that I still host.
-Co-founder and Director of Operations for the Navy Special Operations Foundation that my friend and I started last year. It has been a huge success so far and continues to sustain rapid growth.

Target schools:
Stanford
Harvard
UCLA
USC

My main concern is my undergraduate degree coming from a no-name school. My answer to this is that I completed a degree while still on AD and at a deployable command while maintaining extracurricular activities as well.

So what are your guy's thoughts on my profile so far? Do you see any areas that I am able to improve in or things that I can work on in the next year to strengthen my chances come application time?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the reply,

I will look into getting into some of those quant-based classes. That seems like the best course to follow along with really shooting for the best GMAT score possible. I hope that if i accomplish those two things the adcom will recognize I can complete MBA coursework.

As far as post-MBA career goals go this is something I am still trying to work out myself. Coming into the Navy straight out of High School it's hard to say what exactly I want to pursue post-Navy. I definitely know what I am interested in and what I DONT want to do. I hope to fine tune these things as I look to work with an MBA consultant and hone in on my personal story.

I appreciate the thoughts and encouragement.

Best,

Josh
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
White, Male, 24(will be 26 when applying so class of 2021) will have 5 years work experience, Air Force Acquisitions officer took operational spacelift tour for first 3 years

Led team of 300 personnel as the range operations commander in spacelift operations, think SpaceX/Atlas launches. Also worked multiple launches as range control officer before upgrade. Then after space operational tour will finish out my military tour doing space project acquisitions. I understand this is a bit of a niche job. Everyone knows what a platoon leader is, special forces, etc. Would love advice on how to stand out.

2.99 undergrad GPA, Management from United States Air Force Academy, (3.49 majors gpa) I switched from Biochem which is what tanked my GPA--will be submitting an optional essay to explain
GMAT: Took(wait for it) four times so far with my best being a 670 high verbal lower quant, then 670 higher quant lower verbal with the best from each of the days making it a 720 which is beyond frustrating to me.
Currently studying for another GMAT attempt then most likely moving on to other parts of application.

Interests: Investment Banking to learn the technical side then wanting to move on to sustainable venture capital
Bio/additional: From small town in WV, does this help? someone said it does but I don't see how given that I'm a white male and we are all military and a lot of us are from small towns. Founded an investing club at my current base, regular options and stock trader, consult non-profits in free time, avid mountaineer with a few notable summits, sailor

Target schools: pending next GMAT I would like to go to Tuck with a fallback on UCLA(I've attended multiple events) or Darden/Duke/Marshall. Will also most likely apply to a few M7s if I can handle the work of applying.

I was just looking for advice going further, what should be included in applications, what is not relevant even though I think it is? GPA is obviously a huge hurdle but there isn't much I can do at this point and merits an explanation with the majors change.
Again any and all advice is appreciated, thanks guys.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Calling all US Military Fall 2018 Applicants! [#permalink]
Latest Topic - Fall 2020 https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 97022.html

Here's almost 10 years of military client GMAT statistics boiled down to a single blog post by MtB's founder: https://blog.militarytobusiness.com/201 ... t-top.html
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3