Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Waitlisted too... has anyone on the waitlist actually made it to an offer before?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Kellogg (Accepted), Wharton (interviewed) Columbia, Tuck(waitlisted) , Duke (invited)
Send PM
Kudos
mbahopeful2012 wrote:
Dinged! On to Rd 2...gosh

Can one apply again on Rd 2?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
another WL here. by my tally there are 28 WL's reported on this forum:
rid82, maybemba2013, townbean, eke, dalillama, MBAgirl2010, djknif, chinki, ctm1982, feathertouch, calihopeful, greenchicken, julianllee, aak1985, abcaimei, CPANoMore, ZoeDa, MidwestApp, CyberC1, Shubhster15, liwei9981, seth1234, zorro, maidinindya2, ppop, jkl84, cli2g13, rplberenguer.

and only 5 admits:
staind, mbaaspirant11, enjulia, Jmw125, sunnyc (lauder)

saw another 4 admits and 4-5 WL's on chasedream (don't know if any are overlapping though).

don't know what to make of this.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Kudos
aak1985 wrote:
The pessimist in me says adcom has taken a radically new path this year and will now go on vacation for 2 weeks as per their blog. We have seen with interviews this year that adcom is capable of doing anything. overall, i think this is a surprising turn of events if they have indeed moved so many people to R2. i would be very nervous if i were a R2 applicant - dealing with all the hype around interviews as well as competing against a huge waitlist.

any diehard Candide-types still defending this adcom????
Maybe so many are WL b.c. adcom is still reading those word-for-word interview transcript faxes fr. alums??? And then double checking if your score on say Q2 was a 3.4 or a 3.65-- this is beginning to remind me of the Bush-Gore Florida recount, except this time hanging chads have been replaced with hanging-around WLers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
From what I recall, Wharton often WL's lots of people. Some may think it is due to managing their numbers, WL people and then see if they stick it out and try to get off. Application volumes are volatile year to year depending on a huge variety of factors, so to combat this some schools use large WLs. If application volume is way down in R2 then there may be a lot of movement off the WL if volume is up then it will be a lot harder to get off.

Admits dont always make a lot of sense, people may get into Stanford but dinged by Columbia and Booth. If you are WL'ed at Wharton chances are in your favor of getting into another top school. It may not be your top choice now but you probably will love your time and be rewarded in the end.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I believe there was one person on this forum who did get an admit without a phone call.

I would hope that they ran out of time and put everyone on the waitlist, which could be the reason for the delayed decision releases. And adcom will gradually work through the waitlist over the next month and start getting people off the waitlist.

I admit that it is absolutely adcom's prerogative how they choose to run this process. But when they make radical changes (interview, waitlists etc.), I think it would reflect well on adcom if they kept the applicant community better informed about these changes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
I agree the WL seems staggering - not really sure what to make of it. Since I'm a born pessimist, I'm not buying the "they'll call people first and then accept them this week" theory. Still, if they're only admitting ~200 students, that seems ridiculously low for round 1.

Basic math:

Let's assume 7,000 applicants (roughly equal to last year) and a 16% acceptance rate. That means 1100 acceptances. I had assumed that most schools admit 40/40/20 in the rounds -- so that means there should be about 440 acceptances this round. Does anyone think they admitted that many students?

Originally posted by danielduq on 18 Dec 2010, 16:01.
Last edited by danielduq on 18 Dec 2010, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Wharton (WL), MIT
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2 yrs banking
WE 2: 2 yrs PE / Hedge Fund
Send PM
Kudos
Waitlist here as well. Banking/PE, 740 GMAT, 3.8 GPA from a top university.

Sounds like there's a couple theories going around already but here's my 2 cents.

I think Wharton saw the HBS admission results earlier in the week (that HBS didn't admit as many PE/finance guys as in years past) and Wharton scrambled between Wednesday and Friday to adjust their R1 admits. With all the PE guys that were expecting to get into HBS and didn't even apply to Wharton, maybe Wharton is expecting that this group will now apply in R2 and is trying to save spots for them.

Then again, even if this is true, I think the total number of PE guys at the top firms is around 60-80 and that many applicants shouldn't affect the whole class. I'd have more belief in my own theory if the Wharton waitlist pool were PE/finance heavy but I don't think that's necessarily the case. Go figure...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Kudos
Updated the rollcall - 111 reported applicants in R1 - from the people who reported their decision -
17 admits
12 dings
42 waitlisted
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
Kudos
I wrote my GMAT a couple of days before the Berkeley deadline. I didn't have my AWA score yet so I called up the adcom. They told me to report my overall and Q and V. The GMAC sent my official score to them 2 or 3 days after the deadline and Berkeley sent me an email saying that they had everything they needed to process my application shortly after. Turned out to be pretty straightforward.

I imagine most schools work the same way. They recognize you won't have received your AWA yet but you do need to write your exam before the deadline. I imagine there's an official TOEFL score they would receive as well? If so, I would expect them to add that to your file once they receive it.

staind wrote:
Financier wrote:

Thank you.
Do I need to self-report my AWA sore as well or I can report only Q and V?

One more question about the Toef: can I somehow ask them not to review my application before they receive my new Toefl or they are strict in this respect?

Yes you need to self-report the AWA score as well. I doubt you can ask them to not review the application before getting your new TOEFL score, but you can mention in the optional essay that you plan to retake it.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
Schools:HBS (R2 - ding), Wharton (R2 - interview)
 Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Fortune 1000 Ins Co, 6yrs
Send PM
Kudos
Hopefully someone can save me 10 minutes of internet surfing...is there a seperate application to fill out for Wharton scholarships? Assume I am not applying for anything special (military, minority, etc), but want to be considered for general scholarships. Thanks.

extra credit: do HBS and Booth have a similar process?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
TiderInsider wrote:
Hopefully someone can save me 10 minutes of internet surfing...is there a seperate application to fill out for Wharton scholarships? Assume I am not applying for anything special (military, minority, etc), but want to be considered for general scholarships. Thanks.

some of the general scholarships / fellowships have already been announced along with the admission notification. I know this because I got some $ along with my admit.

But there are quite a few for which you can also apply separately I guess.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Kudos
TiderInsider wrote:

According to the Wharton website:

"All admitted students are considered for fellowships, and no separate fellowship application is required. Each year fellowships are awarded to incoming students from myriad backgrounds."

HBS does only merit based fellowships for the most part...there are some specific grants targeted to specific ethnic groups and such (i know this cause i was going to apply for a Canadian only fellowship HBS has if I ended up matriculating there).

Anything outside of Wharton will obviously require a separate application (i.e. if you want to get money from XYZ organization to put you through school).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Financier wrote:
But will they understand my transcripts with another language?

From Wharton's website: https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admissions/international-applicants.cfm

Quote:
If academic records and diplomas are not issued in English by the institution, submit both the official record and an authorized English translation.

So we must provide a translation of the transcripts. I guess that for self-reported transcripts we can do the translation ourselves. Only when the school will request the real papers, then an official translator must do the work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
bonus = $0 for the AdCom this year
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Kudos
I am not sure that length does not matter when it comes to recs... A short letter will be short on specifics, in fact Stanford says not to exceed 4 pages, so although this is Wharton, a total length of 3-4 pages would be normal

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Kudos
Questions are available on the applyyourself website. Also available on the admissions website in faqs probably.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts