Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
cassie2020 wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
in at HBS going to HBS because HBS was head and shoulders my first choice but still curious about Wharton's decision. I suspect Carlcove is also going to HBS because he/she must have paid their deposit as the deadline was May 5.

holy cow. Ego much?

Somebody gets it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:
bschbound wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

good point...no need to worry about other people's time or anything like that. Just put someone through another 2 months of waiting for ego purposes...no big deal...

but that's why there is something called a yield. the school knows not every offer they make will be accepted so they make more offers than they have seats.

Yeah, that's great for them. I'm talking about the person who will get waitlisted again so that someone who has no intention of going to Wharton can stroke their ego by hanging an extra admission letter on their wall. The Ethicist would be disappointed...better to just withdraw your name and give someone the slot who will actually take it.

x

Originally posted by formerlyknownas on 12 May 2011, 08:38.
Last edited by formerlyknownas on 12 May 2011, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
formerlyknownas wrote:
in at HBS going to HBS because HBS was head and shoulders my first choice but still curious about Wharton's decision. I suspect Carlcove is also going to HBS because he/she must have paid their deposit as the deadline was May 5.

Wow... you are willing to make somebody wait through the summer only because of your ego? You should be proud of yourself...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
bschbound wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

good point...no need to worry about other people's time or anything like that. Just put someone through another 2 months of waiting for ego purposes...no big deal...

but that's why there is something called a yield. the school knows not every offer they make will be accepted so they make more offers than they have seats.

How does the yield argument make sense? If the HBS admits take themselves off the waitlist, the WL pool adcom has to choose from will become smaller thus increasing WL'ers chances.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Well said JMW. I for 1 am glad that someone like formerly wont be on the Wharton campus if I do make it. Last thing I want in a fellow student is to be so self absorbed. Its disgusting
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:
Nope, no assumptions. You're in at HBS. You're going to HBS. Nothing Wharton can do will get you to go there. Therefore, you shouldn't (potentially) take away a slot from someone else and make them wait for the summer so you can have your "outcome". Has absolutely nothing to do with you choosing HBS over Wharton...just that you're not letting Wharton know that you have no intention of going there even if they admit you off of the waitlist. I, for one, hope your ego takes a nice blow later today.

you sound kinda bitter. you've been accepted to wharton already why are you so upset?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V20 GMAT 2: 580  Q49  V20 GMAT 3: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 3.39
WE 1: Project Engineer (1yr)
WE 2: Analyst(3 yrs)
Send PM
I don't think that this fighting gonna make any good news for all of us that still waiting because this is a final day of r3, blame anyone not gonna change anything.

I'm, too, r2 WL and still waiting for this for a long long time. I got nowhere to go right now.

two things I would like to say is
1. It's their right to keep their seats no matter they are already in somewhere or not
2. Just thinking about yourself in the opposite position, what would you do if you were them

Fighting in this web board is not solving anything

Good luck for you all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
I'm all for diplomacy, but why show all disregard for everyone on the WL by posting it here? At least keep it to yourself.

And to answer the question, if I got in to my first choice, I would 100% remove myself from the WL at another school. It's not like the odds of being WLed and getting $ is very high.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
bschbound wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:
bschbound wrote:

but staying on the wl when you are likely to go to another school is nothing new. the other poster carlcove admitted just as much but perhaps was not as direct about it. i have heard of people in class at hbs when they get final word from Wharton. yeah, in theory it may increase waitlisted candidates chances but not by much. wharton does not rank their wl candidates.

I'm just as critical of him as I am of you. I do not except "but other people do it" as a valid argument. And it's not theory. If you get in off the waitlist, it will be instead of someone else on the waitlist. That is the person you are hurting (even if they ultimately get off it after the summer...it's important for people to be able to plan their lives).

LOL Calm down. Im not the original poster. I am just a passerby. I obviously have too much time on my hands at work.

Don't care who was the original poster. You found the need to defend them and I'm explaining why you're absolutely wrong. I think the general sentiment on this thread (based on other posts and people giving me kudos) is that you're wrong.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
formerlyknownas wrote:
CPANoMore wrote:
I'm all for diplomacy, but why show all disregard for everyone on the WL by posting it here? At least keep it to yourself.

And to answer the question, if I got in to my first choice, I would 100% remove myself from the WL at another school. It's not like the odds of being WLed and getting $ is very high.

Actually, even though I wrote the way I did, I stayed on the WL while I sorted out employment verification and financial aid. I am yet to see my financial aid from HBS but I recently got my kroll completed so I will promptly decline if I get accepted today. It was a hedge. Yes, I had nothing to worry about my employment but still can't be 100% with these things. why overconfidently withdraw from an equally good school and then end up with nothing.

Little bit of a change in argument mid-stream there. My question then would be: why did you think that you could possibly fail the employment verification at HBS but pass it at Wharton?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
formerlyknownas wrote:
CPANoMore wrote:

Actually, even though I wrote the way I did, I stayed on the WL while I sorted out employment verification and financial aid. I am yet to see my financial aid from HBS but I recently got my kroll completed so I will promptly decline if I get accepted today. It was a hedge. Yes, I had nothing to worry about my employment but still can't be 100% with these things. why overconfidently withdraw from an equally good school and then end up with nothing.

All irrelevant. I don't care that you did it. Just don't post it. That's how you make people angry (see above) and feed the reputation of HBS students.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
formerlyknownas wrote:
CPANoMore wrote:

I guess that is a bit more of a palatable justification.

In general, if you are ever in a position to help other people with absolutely no material cost to yourself--you should do so. I wholeheartedly agree with JMW's viewpoints. Staying on the WL to cater to egos speaks volumes about the greater problems in our society-hopefully these b-schools will change this type of thinking in their admits and make ethical leaders.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Has anyone heard of any reports of admit calls so far today?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Nothing like a good ol' internet flame war to get me through the day... Nice.

My opinion, for the record: If you've already decided where you go to school, it's common courtesy to adcom and the other applicants to withdrawal. What do you gain from knowing that you got admitted off waitlist if you don't plan on going to school there? The argument "I invested time and money and I deserve a decision" is pretty lame considering the stakes for other parties participating in the same process. Think about it this way: If this issue came up in a job interview, how do you think this would impact the interviewer's opinion of your character? Would you be able to defend your decision?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:
Has anyone heard of any reports of admit calls so far today?

Nothing yet. Join the chat. No reports from the anyone there. https://gmatclub.com/chat/?fl=menu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
Type A narcissism at is finest.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
bschbound wrote:
OK I think people are taking things overboard; people are comparing this to problems in our society. the only thing the original poster did wrong was admit that they were waiting to hear the decision from Wharton when they had an offer they were going to accept. that person owes Wharton or other candidates nothing. the only reason you are getting to hear about this is because of the message board. you want to talk about ethics? what about people that apply to schools in R1, accept the offer but still apply to other schools in R2. Let's talk about Wharton's decision to WL more people than they can possibly extend offers to. Or WL people through the summer. There is nothing fair about the business school application process.

I again reject the argument that "well, what I did might have been wrong but there are other people doing way worse things."

That's the school's prerogative (and the point of a wait list).

I would completely disagree and say that they make it as fair as they can...there might be some mistakes made (a la the interview question debacle of this year at Wharton), but they at least try.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  161   162   163   164   165  ...  167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts