GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 07:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
LBS, Yale, & Tuck Thread Master
B
Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Aug 2018, 06:23
Welcome all Yale class of 2021 hopefuls. Let's use this platform to know each-other, exchange ideas, discuss app strategies, and some profile discussions may be? Give a shout out!

Yale Decision Tracker & Historical Admit Data | Add Yale to your profile

Yale 2019-2021 Deadlines
Round 1Round 2Round 3
Application DeadlineSep 12, 18Jan 7, 19Apr 16, 19
Interview Decision Notification---
Final Decision NotificationDec 5, 18Apr 2, 19May 21, 19

Class of 2020 Yale Profile:

• Class size: 347 (43% women)
  • Average GMAT: 730
  • Middle 80% GMAT Range: 690-760
  • Average GRE: Q163, V165
  • International Students: 45%

MY MBA Journey
https://fromaus2mba.wordpress.com

Originally posted by AUSJ on 15 Jun 2018, 06:44.
Last edited by Narenn on 27 Aug 2018, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Helpful resources and links
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 14:51
Here!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 21:35
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 15:42
I have been looking forward to this thread for 15 months. I will be applying through The Consortium, with Yale being the top choice.

29 years old
Hispanic Male
6 years enlisted, U.S. Army
3.0 GPA, applying in January during my last semester of undergrad
Big 12 public school in Texas

Taking the GMAT at the end of August, and planning a retake in October depending on initial score.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Jul 2018, 22:33

!
Moderator Note: Post Removed. Do not post profile evaluation requests in Bschool discussions. We have dedicated profile evaluation threads for all major schools. Alternatively you can also post profile related questions in Ask admission consultants forum.

Originally posted by MRaut on 28 Jun 2018, 22:52.
Last edited by Narenn on 29 Jul 2018, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Mod warning
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 04:51
Hello MRaut

Your profile will be evaluated on 6 admission factors mentioned here.
If we break your profile down into part we will be able to see the strengths and weaknesses. These parts are-
1. Academic Potential- You have splendid past scores. (Do you really have 4/4 in both graduation & post grad? That is very consistent to sat the least :-)). A 730 is a good score. Not stellar but good. Yes Indians are expected to score high and IT professional even more so to differentiate their profile. Should you retake the GMAT? That is not an easy question to answer. If you can take it to 750 it will help. But a 750 will not ensure your admission not will a 730 break your chances. This is because the GMAT, or academic potential in general is NOT your weakness. In fact currently it is probably the strongest area of your profile. If you were to spend the next 2 months building a strong application that may help your chances more.
2. Quality of Work Ex- Just mentioning your role/responsibilities will not help assess your profile. An good school is more interested in your story hence mention your career progress, achievements and impact on the business of your organization. Internships do not add to full time work ex. You may have interesting stories to tell from your internship experience, but the years will not count. I feel your years are slightly on the lower side, so you will have to show more maturity and a faster career progress/better achievements than an average applicant. Also considering you belong to the largest pool of applicants, this applies to you strongly. Have you considered applying a year later?
3. Diversity- Indian. IT. Not the best news for an applicant. Schools look at admitting a diverse set of students and there will be several people with a background similar to yours applying to the likes of Yale. The only way you can differentiate yourself is by showcasing Real Business Impact or Tremendously High GMAT or Great extracurricular. While your extracurricular look interesting, flesh out the stores behind them Highlight the long term/serious relationship with these activities and how have they made you a better person/professional/candidate?
4. Career Goals- by far the biggest pieces of the admissions puzzle. What are your short term/long term career goals and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to achieve said goals? you've not mentioned anything around this and this makes your profile review incomplete. You could begin your research on career goals by reading this.
That is the long and short of it. Needless to say final success will depend on how well you tie all of the above in your written applications.
Should you feel the need to discuss this further, feel free to reach out.
Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

MRaut wrote:
Hi All, I am looking for a profile evaluation, below is a little bit about me. I am planning to go for 2021 Class.

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 730 (I have decided to retake GMAT because someone told me that 730 is too low for Indian IT people. Could someone advise me on this! )
Undergrad: B.Tech in Computer Science from NIT
Undergraduate GPA: 4/4
Masters: MTech In Information Security from NIT
Masters GPA: 4/4
Current work ex: 2 Years (3 by matriculation) [I have done two 6-months internships, while I was in college, with Dell. Will this add to my experience?]

Work:
-I work as a Software Engineer.
-I have been working on Decision Science projects to determine business strategies.
-Lead Developer in a team of 8 people.
-An SME for Data visualization, Data Analysis.

Extra Curriculars:
-have played Badminton till National Level (2009).
-have been a state level marathon runner.
-Have been a part of Rotaract, which is a youth wing of rotary, for past 5 years. As a club member, I was responsible for teaching kids basic math and making them understand the importance of sanitation and clean drinking water. I, personally, worked to educated women on domestic violence.
-Strongly advocates against domestic violence.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 05:24
Yale has released its essays and application deadlines for the class of 2021. Deadline for the first round is on 12th Sep 2018.
Yale has asked for one required essay: “Describe the biggest commitment you have ever made (500 words maximum)”
Yale wants you to share your attributes and values with them and you may want to structure an essay that highlights your leadership skills and professional commitment.
Yale values contribution to society and you would want to demonstrate it in your application. If you have been directly employed in the social sector, your story should bring out your leadership qualities and the impact that you have created. Alternatively, you can also highlight your contributions and difference that you made through the CSR initiatives in your organization.
Good time to start working on your application and essays, especially if you are interested in applying to multiple business schools.
We at “Beyond the Gmat” provide free evaluation of your profile and guide you in selecting the best fit b-schools for your profile. We can help you find out how good your fitment is for Yale and how you can shape your application to make the impact.

Team BeyondtheGMAT
Email: beyondthegmat@gmail.com

MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 22:45
Tuesday, July 31: Live Chat with Yale Alum

Hi Everyone, This Tuesday we have a live chat with 8088, Yale MBA graduate. Chat will start at 9am Pacific time (12pm Eastern time, 9:30pm Indian time) in GMATClub chat room. We hope all of you will participate in this chat. It's an excellent opportunity to ask your questions about Yale, its application process, and anything else that will help you make a strong case for admission this year.

Date and Time:

July 31, 2018 | Tuesday | 9:00 AM PDT (12 PM ET; 9:30 PM IST)

Place:

Main Chat Room

There are admit chat sessions planned for other schools as well. Check out the complete chat calendar here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/inviting-all ... l#p2092718

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 23:20
Hii Everyone ,

This is Hiren. Following is my Stats
B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from NIT
CGPA - 8.8
10th - 92%
12th - 91%
Work Experience - 3 years in MNC
Appearing for GMAT in August - Targeting above 740
I want to know what are all the parameters that i want to keep in mind while applying fro Yale SOM. What are they looking for in a Candidate.
What are the Chances of getting a Scholarship & what maximum percentage of scholarship can i get?
Criteria for getting a Good amount of Scholarship.
I know these are two many questions but It would be really helpful if you help me here because I want to fix my universities & want to increase my chances of selection in First round only.

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 23:39
hello Hiren06

To get an admission you will need to have a strong profile on all the factors mentioned here.
To get a scholarship, you will need to have a spike on all of these factors. (Academics, Work Ex, Career Goals, Diversity)
While you academic scores look good, and a 740+ will put you in a good bracket academically, I cannot comment on other details as '3 years in MNC' does not tell anything about your work ex.
No mention on extracurricular, career goals, career progression or achievements at work does not help either.
School selection is purely speculation with the info given.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Hiren06 wrote:
Hii Everyone ,

This is Hiren. Following is my Stats
B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from NIT
CGPA - 8.8
10th - 92%
12th - 91%
Work Experience - 3 years in MNC
Appearing for GMAT in August - Targeting above 740
I want to know what are all the parameters that i want to keep in mind while applying fro Yale SOM. What are they looking for in a Candidate.
What are the Chances of getting a Scholarship & what maximum percentage of scholarship can i get?
Criteria for getting a Good amount of Scholarship.
I know these are two many questions but It would be really helpful if you help me here because I want to fix my universities & want to increase my chances of selection in First round only.

Thanks in advance.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 07:44
We are starting the chat in 15 minutes. If you are around, join main chat room.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Narenn wrote:
Tuesday, July 31: Live Chat with Yale Alum

Hi Everyone, This Tuesday we have a live chat with 8088, Yale MBA graduate. Chat will start at 9am Pacific time (12pm Eastern time, 9:30pm Indian time) in GMATClub chat room. We hope all of you will participate in this chat. It's an excellent opportunity to ask your questions about Yale, its application process, and anything else that will help you make a strong case for admission this year.

Date and Time:

July 31, 2018 | Tuesday | 9:00 AM PDT (12 PM ET; 9:30 PM IST)

Place:

Main Chat Room

There are admit chat sessions planned for other schools as well. Check out the complete chat calendar here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/inviting-all ... l#p2092718

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 16:39
Planning on applying as between University of Chicago, Yale and London Business School, Yale is the one I am most motivated about. Round 1 app for Yale so you can add me to the numbers.

Done with the Chicago app. Currently working on the LBS one and Yale is next....

- 14 years in the finance industry in a few different areas(10 as Investment Manager & Principal).
- Currently manage $225 mil in AUM across 18 relationships.
- Highest Education: Masters in Finance at Notre Dame - 3.72 GPA
Executive Assessment - 150

Activities - Local grade school involvement with sports, academics as well as fund raising. Ethics workshop with private military high school. Learning French and marathon and ultra marathon endurance racer. Provide pro bono work to local marine and habitat group.

Anything else? Looking forward to the convo!
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 02:45
Hi all!
Might have missed the boat.
Izzy here from Malaysia. Over 7 years of work experience in Telco, Tech and Media industry.

Background
Born with 14 siblings and a deaf brother.
Challenging upbringing, a rural boy who went against odd received a government scholarship to pursue tertiary education in Australia.
Travelled across South East Asia, Central Asia and Europe across 15 countries.
Have been in the technology domain developing and launching digital services in the country.
Aspire to contribute back & advance South East Asia by spearheading initiatives on digital gov through cohesive policy planning, implementation and effective communication to public citizens.

Degree: Bc of Commerce (Accounting & Finance), The University of Sydney, Distinction (3.58 CGPA equivalent)

Ranked #1 in Management Accounting A and ranked #2 in Audit & Assurance

Professional Qualification: CFA charterholder
GMAT: 700 (Q48, V38)

Work Experience
6 years (including one year secondment in digital commerce co) in a large telecommunication company in Malaysia, presence in over 7 countries and 250 million subscribers
- Launched JVCo for a digital commerce co in Malaysia, become largest locally owned eCommerce site in Malaysia
- Built foundation for digital payment in Malaysia, stake acquisition in remittance co and setup of an emerging digital payment co in Malaysia
- Top 50 of 12,000 employees, youngest recipient for a regional employee award at the age of 26

Currently (1 year) in the largest public listed media company in Malaysia with USD1.5 billion in revenue
- Oversaw USD15 million of core digital transformation across supply chain and customer facing business units
- Conceptualised and developed 2 Center of Excellence (CoE) for business efficiencies, expected long term 3-year savings over USD3 million
- Among youngest Assistant Vice President (AVP) in the company at the age of 29

Extra curricular activities
Mentor and advisor for Peneraju foundation, a government backed set up to spur number of CFA charterholders in Malaysia
Advisor and volunteer for Young CEO Development Programme, an initiative to groom future leaders in the country

Short term goal
Join Mckinsey Center of Government or BCG Center of Public Impacts and work on public sector initiatives globally and across the region

Long term goal
Lead Government Performance Delivery Unit to drive agenda on government transformation

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:39
14 years - You have lot of work experience. What are your plans after MBA? Staying in finance or planning a switch into another industry/job function?

discodv05 wrote:
Planning on applying as between University of Chicago, Yale and London Business School, Yale is the one I am most motivated about. Round 1 app for Yale so you can add me to the numbers.

Done with the Chicago app. Currently working on the LBS one and Yale is next....

- 14 years in the finance industry in a few different areas(10 as Investment Manager & Principal).
- Currently manage $225 mil in AUM across 18 relationships.
- Highest Education: Masters in Finance at Notre Dame - 3.72 GPA
Executive Assessment - 150

Activities - Local grade school involvement with sports, academics as well as fund raising. Ethics workshop with private military high school. Learning French and marathon and ultra marathon endurance racer. Provide pro bono work to local marine and habitat group.

Anything else? Looking forward to the convo!

MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:45
Thank you discodv05, Hiren06, Eric8923 for giving your intro to fellow applicants. Good luck for the apps!

Where are all other Yale hopefuls? Anyone got started on the essays?

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 4
Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 06:04
Submitted my app today but don't see a link to complete the videos?

Edit: The link appeared! It doesn't show up until after your payment is confirmed and you refresh the page.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 09:44
Hi everybody,

With 2.69 GPA and 660 Gmat, is there any chance to get admittance from YALE?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.65

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 16:36
Anyone know when Yale starts interviewing folks for R1?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V44
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 04:39
jayt123 wrote:
Anyone know when Yale starts interviewing folks for R1?

According to last year's thread invites started coming out ~1-1.5 weeks after the app deadline!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 12:12
Did anyone receive an interview invite till now?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021 &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 12:12

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 109 posts ] 

Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AUSJ

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap