Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Given Kudos:
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
ac8706 wrote:
traffix wrote:
How did u guys tackle the "how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB might have aided in your decision making process" of the essay?
I have few ideas, but would wanna know from the R1 folks as to what they did!

I identifed skills, knowledge that would have helped me. Then described how I would have acquired all that at GSB - mentioned specific courses, clubs, etc.

Yep I did the same
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
thanks jlola21 and ac8706. U gals are the best!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
I'm actually working on that question too. I think the "misperceived motives" part is the most difficult...still trying to figure it out.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
I'm actually working on that question too. I think the "misperceived motives" part is the most difficult...still trying to figure it out.

maverick i really admire that you are working on R2 apps after getting an M7 admit in R1. way to stay dedicated and keep your eyes on the proverbial prize!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q49  V44
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
What was the consensus on the car thing? I forget if this has been discussed before.

So if I attend, I definitely won't be living in hyde park - and I'm trying to figure out if I will need a car. Although I really do not want to give up my car :(. What's chicago like transportation wise? I took the train while I was there but that was about it.

agold covered this pretty well, but let me throw this out there for people. (BTW, agold, your profile says SoCal, but you seem to have a pretty good grasp of Chicago.) Anyway, from what I've heard, GSBers tend to live in Hyde Park, the Loop, or on the Northside. If anyone is looking outside of those areas, I'd suggest you consider the Bridgeport neighborhood. My wife and I rent a nice two-bedroom apartment for under $700/month, with ample street parking. It would be very easy to keep a car in this area. No special parking permits (other than a city sticker-$75 or so) and crime is relatively low. Getting to U of C from here is also quick. The Dan Ryan expressway was recently rebuilt, so it's a really quick ride to 55th St. I would say 10-12 minutes is not unreasonable. Parking once you get there...well, that's probably harder, but doable. Depending on where in Bridgeport one was, they might be close to the Red line as well. Not as direct as Metra, but it'll get you there eventually.

This bitterly cold snap is making me really appreciate having a car. I guess if you're downtown and close to a grocery store, you can probably get along without one though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:

Would you lean towards booth or K if accepted to both?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
msday wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:

maverick i really admire that you are working on R2 apps after getting an M7 admit in R1. way to stay dedicated and keep your eyes on the proverbial prize!

Haha, yeah it's not easy! Chicago was supposed to be one of my R1 applications, but I ran out of time. It was initially my top school so I feel obligated to apply. I've also decided to apply to HBS since I have nothing to lose at this point.

Sonibubu, if I get into Chicago I really don't know which school I would pick. There are advantages to each...right now I'm 50/50, so maybe money would be a factor. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I was wondering how everyone did the slide presentation. For everyone who has completed the question or thought about it please answer

Did you use Microsoft powerpoint or did it in pdf format? (I guess making it as a pdf offers more space )

Also can you guys please say if you used any software or tools to make some fancy slides ?

Coming to the content...
Did you pack the slides with a lot of information or just a quote or a comment and a picture ?
It would be great if you can tell how many words you have on average on each slide. I have a weird idea but I dont want my slides to be shown in the GSB live next year as what not to do with the slide presentation :-D
(I have seen the sample presentation that adcom shows in the GSB live events .. and that guy george had done something like 3 lines per page and a cartoon on each page if I am not wrong.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
msday wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:

Haha, yeah it's not easy! Chicago was supposed to be one of my R1 applications, but I ran out of time. It was initially my top school so I feel obligated to apply. I've also decided to apply to HBS since I have nothing to lose at this point.

Sonibubu, if I get into Chicago I really don't know which school I would pick. There are advantages to each...right now I'm 50/50, so maybe money would be a factor. :-D

Exact same situation here. It's really hard applying to Booth since Kellogg is a great place to be, yet I owe it to myself to apply.

It's really strange how many people this year are appying/deciding between two schools so different.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks ninkorn! Appreciate your detailed response! +1

ninkorn wrote:
traffix wrote:
How did u guys tackle the "how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB might have aided in your decision making process" of the essay?
I have few ideas, but would wanna know from the R1 folks as to what they did!

In the simplest form, I used the following formula to draft the essay.

You (a) + Booth (b) = Something Totally Transformational (w. outcome only possible by entering Booth)

(a) – You are not a commodity (even though there might be another applicant from similar background). You need to make yourself standout while making connections to the current Booth culture. Think of yourself a new IPO. Discuss your potential, past experience, and strengths. Since a second year student also read your application, you need to write your essay in a way a second year can relate to (when 2nd yr was in your shoes 2 years ago before applying to Booth).
(b) – Booth is all about diversity, whether its gender, race, career background etc. This is most important. Don’t try to compare yourself to a fellow applicant with investment bank or consulting background. Instead, compare yourself to future “you”. If you need to figure out what benefits Booth can bring – just imagine yourself 10 years in the future and ask yourself, “I remember 10 years ago, I was this kind of person (both as individual and professional). I am glad I went to Booth because thanks to Booth MBA, I was able to attain….”

Show your engagement with community and your surroundings. Express your commitment to make impact on others and how you can improve yourself and others at the same time. (Win-win situation)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I am a reapplicant and planning to apply to R2.

Is the Standard Resume 1 page? Last year it was an extended resume.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
 Q49  V44
Send PM
poochandi wrote:
I am a reapplicant and planning to apply to R2.

Is the Standard Resume 1 page? Last year it was an extended resume.

Yep. I don't know what happened to the expanded resume this year, but I guess it was too much information. To the best of my understanding you should keep it to one page.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Thanks wedbud.
wedbud wrote:
Yep. I don't know what happened to the expanded resume this year, but I guess it was too much information. To the best of my understanding you should keep it to one page.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Currently finishing up my R2 essays. I know this has probably already been beaten to death here but I would be curious what some people's thoughts are on the differences between Kellogg and Booth. For me it seems the big one is Kellogg's reputation for Marketing and Booth's reputation for Finance (neither of which really concern me) but I'd be curious what some of the R1'ers who already went through this issue came up with. Out-of-class activities, especially social ones would be good to know, heck even useful links (no need for filler prose on official school websites). PM me if you'd like.

Thanks from an int'l who unfortunately can't make it to Chicago pre-application deadline.
Given Kudos:
bostonsparky wrote:
Currently finishing up my R2 essays. I know this has probably already been beaten to death here but I would be curious what some people's thoughts are on the differences between Kellogg and Booth. For me it seems the big one is Kellogg's reputation for Marketing and Booth's reputation for Finance (neither of which really concern me) but I'd be curious what some of the R1'ers who already went through this issue came up with. Out-of-class activities, especially social ones would be good to know, heck even useful links (no need for filler prose on official school websites). PM me if you'd like.

Thanks from an int'l who unfortunately can't make it to Chicago pre-application deadline.

Aside from the obvious academic strengths of each school, visiting both really helps you understand the culture. I can see myself at both schools - felt comfortable at both and liked both, but in different ways. Kellogg's focus was on teamwork, helping colleagues, etc. and Chicago was more focused on courses and faculty. I think both schools have a great group work environment though, I wouldn't say that is a negative of Chicago - they just haven't made it a part of their brand or the main focus of their culture. Students were very friendly and outgoing at both schools - and I'm not totally sold on the pocket protector theory, I myself don't own one and don't plan to and will probably end up at Booth ;-).

Edit: Kellogg also has more of a focus on experiential learning which I find appealing about the school.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
What's the pocket protector Theory? :?:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I agree with jlola about teamwork aspect. You will be on teams at booth, a lot of them. You probably will have a team project for every class......but it won't be every project that you do. I am all about the balance. The pocket protector theory, well you are going to have that at any top school. Most people I have seen and talked to, admits, current students are just cool fun people. Yes I have met some "pocket protectors" but I want to be in a diverse class, and that lends to the diversity.

And as for those reputations....chicago has an outstanding marketing program. Their professors are tops in their field. They have a great analytical marketing program which I think is very beneficial since that is the where marketing is heading.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  66   67   68   69   70   71   72  ...  95