Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've asked them to do this online.

I am also scrutinizing the essays a little too much. And I am spending too much time on trying to perfect the Columbia essays when I should start focusing on the next schools' essays right away. So maybe it's time to let-go of these essays. I am submitting application tomorrow or day after (After getting the last round of review comments and after any last minute changes based on tomorrow's info session).
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I've asked them to do this online.

I am also scrutinizing the essays a little too much. And I am spending too much time on trying to perfect the Columbia essays when I should start focusing on the next schools' essays right away. So maybe it's time to let-go of these essays. I am submitting application tomorrow or day after (After getting the last round of review comments and after any last minute changes based on tomorrow's info session).

did you stick with the word limits for the essays or have a 10-15% deviation?

I managed to be on the dot with the word limits but I am thinking if it is an added benefit to add in a few words more to convey better ideas?

The whole "recommended XXX word limit" makes no sense when the ad-com officer told me it is just a guideline and not supposed to be taken literally.

Also did your essay 1. and 2. come very close to each other? Mine sound very similar and I am quite concerned about them although in essence they are very different!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop, mNeo: All the best. You guys will do great.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the wishes, ncprasad!

aviroop, yeah I'm staying withing the word limits. 745 words for a 750 words essay; 498 words for a 500 words essay .. etc. I plan to stay within the word limits for each school. So far I've found that I can stay within word limits without losing anything.

Essay 1 and 2 do have the problem of stepping over each other. After writing essay 2, I realized that some of the points written there actually fitted essay 1 more. So then I redid both the essays. Now my goals essay talks about my goals. And the 21st century essay talks about the business in the new century and how I think an MBA can help me with it. Instead of stepping on each other, these essays are complementing each other (Or that's what I think - The adcom might think otherwise).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats guys for being the first ones out of the door! Hope you all hear the good news in a month!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad - thank you for the words of encouragement. Means a lot to me. I too hope the same for you.

Mneo - I am in the same boat as you. I am having the same thoughts about ad-com. My #2 essay talks about the 21st century business and how my MBA will help me in it.
I hope the ad-com gets the message.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
Whoa, it is interesting to see so many people almost done with their CBS Apps.
I am still waiting on my recos !

A query - are you guys asking the recommendeers to fill out each question or for a generic letter ?

I hope I get to submit mine atleast within the next 2 weeks !
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fill every question... A generic letter might not be a very good idea!!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
All my essay writing came to a dead halt when I found out that my friend in undergrad school (the one who was the butt of all jokes and one of my best buddies) is now a proud father.

Boy do I feel old and single today!!!! Time for me to reflect on my life and think if an MBA is what I want.

Aston Martin, Ducati motorcycle, pent house on Upper West side or a family - hard choice!! I will opt for the Aston Martin.
:wink:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah,
Its a tough call mate. Cant delay all those things for too long. That is why I need an MBA NOW !! (maybe I should include this in my essay).

aviroop wrote:
All my essay writing came to a dead halt when I found out that my friend in undergrad school (the one who was the butt of all jokes and one of my best buddies) is now a proud father.

Boy do I feel old and single today!!!! Time for me to reflect on my life and think if an MBA is what I want.

Aston Martin, Ducati motorcycle, pent house on Upper West side or a family - hard choice!! I will opt for the Aston Martin.
:wink:
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm.. might not be convincing..but a good reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
did you stick with the word limits for the essays or have a 10-15% deviation?

I managed to be on the dot with the word limits but I am thinking if it is an added benefit to add in a few words more to convey better ideas?

The whole "recommended XXX word limit" makes no sense when the ad-com officer told me it is just a guideline and not supposed to be taken literally.

Also did your essay 1. and 2. come very close to each other? Mine sound very similar and I am quite concerned about them although in essence they are very different!!

I went over the "recommended limit" ... but within the 10% deviation. I figured it would be ok because it's a "recommended word limit" and not an absolute word limit.... and after all, Columbia gives you 600000 characters to play with in every written part of the application.

anyway, for the record, I got my recommenders to submit the recommendation online. I chased them hard for it though. Called a recommender for 2 days before he finally picked up my calls and admitted that he hadn't completed the recommendations. And called him for another 3 days (3x a day) before he picked up and said

"YES! I've submitted them today! Hahaha. "

At least he wasn't in a bad mood over my trying to get him.... but he's usually a very last minute kind of guy..
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
does columbia review your application even if the recommendation letters are not submitted?
Or do the applications get reviewed only when every document is turned in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
does columbia review your application even if the recommendation letters are not submitted?
Or do the applications get reviewed only when every document is turned in.

No, they only review it when the completed application has been submitted...recs and all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Resume for Columbia ? [#permalink]
Guys, a dumb question for all who are done with this.
Does this resume have to be a single page as well ..? They say that the fellowship commitee will review the resume, I'm assuming this committee reviews the whole application as well, just like the adcom. If so, a 1 page resume is good.
If not, do you still go with a single page resume ?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
its always a good idea to keep a one page resume.. especially if its some committee who will read it.
short and sweet.. there is no substitute.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Attended the info session in SF. Nothing terribly new. The only thing that I gained from the session was that I got to meet grad_mba for a very short while. Hey dude, thanks for saying "Hi".

One guy (Who was trying too hard to impress) asked, "What is Columbia doing about being a backup for other ivy league schools for a lot of students?" :?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42