GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fit for Booth? Post profiles here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 169
Location: India
Schools: INSEAD, HEC, ISB, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 04:02
Hello HinaTabassum

To assess chances for the likes of Booth, it would help to understand your key achievements at work and the business impact that you have had.
Booth will assess your candidature on Academic Potential, Quality of Work Ex, Post MBA Goals & Fit, Diversity
You will need a spike in most of the above to stand a good chance.
Coming to the first part, if you are aiming for a 750+ you get a spike in Academic Potential.
Even in diversity you might be able to score a bit, looking at your ethnicity, but bring out your differentiating factors such as extracurricular activities. Showcase how your peers will benefit from your presence.
Where work ex is concerned, you have mentioned the role/years but that is a quantitative measure of your work. What have you achieved? How have you positively impacted your business?
Lastly, the most important piece of the puzzle is missing- post MBA goals. What is your career plan and how will an MBA from Booth help? Is there a fit?
It will help assess your chances better with a holistic view of answers to these questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com


HinaTabassum wrote:
Hi,

This could turn out to be a disappointment but I am giving it a go anyway.

- 28 year Pakistani woman

- Got a BBA from Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology. Studied on scholarship for all four of the undergrad years. I ahve a CGPA of 3.4 and my major was Finance. Graduated in 2013

- Was a Rotaractor back in my university days and once even went for a Polio drive

- Was part of various other societies back in my university days

- Started my first job in 2013. The first six months were training and then was posted in Corporate Banking front office. Previously was a Relationship Associate. Now I am an Assistant Relationship Manager.

- For one year, headed the female wing of my community's education society

- Handled Finance for Young Women Writer's Forum for more than half a year

- Plan to sit the GMAT exam in November so that I can apply in Round 2 for B Schools. I am aiming for a 750 at least.

Anything else that I should mention here?

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 17:26
1
Hi All, I am looking for a profile evaluation, below is a little bit about me. Please note that I do not plan on applying to an MBA program for a couple of years (2-3).

Background/Demographic: 22 year old male from US
GMAT: 700 (47-Q & 40-V)
Undergrad: Indiana University - Kelley School of Business. Major: Economic Consulting, GPA: 3.84
Experience: Just started working at Deloitte Consulting in project controller practice. Previously was a volunteer at the commodities futures trading commission
Extracurriculars: member of Phi Chi Theta Business Fraternity during undergrad, main community involvement has been with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Also, my main hobby is Jiu Jitsu. I have won a few local tournaments in Chicago, and help teach classes twice a week.
Other: International experience includes studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
MBA goals: I aspire to start my own business, and hope that an MBA program will broaden my network as well as develop my leadership skill set.

Thanks!
Johnny
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 22
Location: Pakistan
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 00:34
1
Thank you Varun.
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 867
Reviews Badge
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 13:06
Hey jomregan! I remember responding to your post on the board for Darden so I won't repeat all of that here other than to re-emphasize that getting your GMAT up will be even more important for Booth (where the average is about 10 points higher). Other suggestion is to check out all the resources Booth offers on entrepreneurship via the Polsky Center and lab based courses -- I'm told that entrepreneurship is now the top concentration for Booth students, so you should find a lot of interest there.

Good luck!
Kate

jomregan wrote:
Hi All, I am looking for a profile evaluation, below is a little bit about me. Please note that I do not plan on applying to an MBA program for a couple of years (2-3).

Background/Demographic: 22 year old male from US
GMAT: 700 (47-Q & 40-V)
Undergrad: Indiana University - Kelley School of Business. Major: Economic Consulting, GPA: 3.84
Experience: Just started working at Deloitte Consulting in project controller practice. Previously was a volunteer at the commodities futures trading commission
Extracurriculars: member of Phi Chi Theta Business Fraternity during undergrad, main community involvement has been with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Also, my main hobby is Jiu Jitsu. I have won a few local tournaments in Chicago, and help teach classes twice a week.
Other: International experience includes studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
MBA goals: I aspire to start my own business, and hope that an MBA program will broaden my network as well as develop my leadership skill set.

Thanks!
Johnny

_________________

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2018
Posts: 38
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 13:44
Wow!

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 15:46
1
Background: 26 year old white American
Education: 3.56 at a top 20 American University with a semester spent abroad in London
GMAT: 720 with a skew towards verbal
Work Experience: After college I worked 2 years with a leading market research firm doing research and evaluation on new product launches for CPG companies. I then made a shift and spent two years doing brand marketing at a top food company with budget management and P&L exposure.
Community: Volunteer at a local children's hospital once a week
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Location: United States
GMAT ToolKit User
Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 08:37
1
Background/Demographic: Indian, 31, Female
Undergrad: Computer Engineer, 3.5/5 CGPA
Experience: 8 years (~4 years in US) working with clients on major projects in Derivatives, Credit Acquisitions, Credit Risk Modelling, Asset Management. Past Clients include world's largest Options Exchange, major Credit card company (think Visa, MasterCard, Discover), worked with 3 major Credit Bureaus in US for launching new Credit Risk Model for a client. Leading cross-geographical teams and recognized by Client for major product implementations.
Extracurriculars: organizing and winning major oratory competitions, Vice Chairperson for IEEE college chapter, working with kids in Chicago Public School and recording books for blind students. Active in Chicago-centric Instagram ecosystem with a profile highlighting Chicago.
GMAT – 650 - This was a trial attempt with hardly 2 weeks of prep. I'm planning to reappear again, should get 700+
Post MBA – short term (continue in Technology sector changing the job function to Program Management/Consulting); long term (build socially sustainable organization for supporting education of women & children from marginal societies)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 169
Location: India
Schools: INSEAD, HEC, ISB, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 08:53
1
Hello apdt

Past scores look decent, and if you scored 650 with just 2 weeks of prep, you should aim for a 720+ and your profile will look strong holistically.
I say this because your work ex looks good, though it will help if you can showcase your career progress, key achievements and real business impact (not just technical) in these 8 years.
US experience will certainly be helpful (and will bring the much needed diversity missing in most Indian/IT profiles). Utilize your extracurricular too by displaying long term & serious involvement along with the positive impact you have had on your life/life of others.
Lastly, Career goals look organic. Need to bring out why an MBA is needed at this stage of your life (and why is it an absolute necessity).
To conclude with the exception of GMAT, your profile looks decent on stats (quantitative info given). Success will of course depend on how well you tie it up with 'qualitative' info (concealed in your post) in your written application.
Booth will look at Acads+Quality of Work Ex+Diversity+Career Goals & Fit to evaluate your candidature (You can read more here). If you can get a spike in 3 out of these 4 elements then you stand a chance. As mentioned, your Career Goals & Work Ex potentially can have a spike (depends on your essays finally). But Diversity & GMAT lack the spike. If you score above 720, you get a spike there and stand a fighting chance.
Should you feel the need to discuss your profile in detail, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

apdt wrote:
Background/Demographic: Indian, 31, Female
Undergrad: Computer Engineer, 3.5/5 CGPA
Experience: 8 years (~4 years in US) working with clients on major projects in Derivatives, Credit Acquisitions, Credit Risk Modelling, Asset Management. Past Clients include world's largest Options Exchange, major Credit card company (think Visa, MasterCard, Discover), worked with 3 major Credit Bureaus in US for launching new Credit Risk Model for a client. Leading cross-geographical teams and recognized by Client for major product implementations.
Extracurriculars: organizing and winning major oratory competitions, Vice Chairperson for IEEE college chapter, working with kids in Chicago Public School and recording books for blind students. Active in Chicago-centric Instagram ecosystem with a profile highlighting Chicago.
GMAT – 650 - This was a trial attempt with hardly 2 weeks of prep. I'm planning to reappear again, should get 700+
Post MBA – short term (continue in Technology sector changing the job function to Program Management/Consulting); long term (build socially sustainable organization for supporting education of women & children from marginal societies)

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 22
Location: Pakistan
Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 14:44
Thank you Varun,

Here are the details that you have pointed out have bee missing in my initial post.

Academic Potential: As I have mentioned, I am aiming for a 750+ (I have checked that the average at Booth is 723).

Quality of Work Experience: My job is a very people oriented job as I am a Corporate Banker in the front office (Relationship Management). it includes dealing with corporate clients with the focus on increasing asset base of the portfolio and minimizing infection through regular reviewing of the said portfolio. At the same time, focusing on industry developments that may affect customers’ needs for banking facilities and to enhance utilization of the respective facilities.

Post MBA Goals: Short term --> To advance further in my role as a Corporate Banker
Long Term --> 5 Years --> Lead a Corporate Banking Team in one region + Work as a mentor for students who want to pursue a career in finance or more specifically in Corporate Banking
10 Years --> Lead the Regional Corporate Banking Team + Teach Finance course(s) at a local university + Work as a mentor for students who want to pursue a career in finance or more specifically in Corporate Banking

Diversity: As I have mentioned before, I am a 28 year old Pakistani woman. Have been active as a Rotaractor for 4 years during my undergrad along with being the financial advisor for the SZABIST Social Sciences Society for academic year 2011 - 2012 as I was on the finance team of the SZABIST Student Council for the academic year. After that, worked as a volunteer for the education society of my community and led the female wing for one year as well. Also, attended a Young Leaders' Conference in 2011. This is an annual conference that can be attended by individuals between the ages of 18 and 25). As for hobbies, I write stories, I read, and I paint/draw.

Anything else that I should add here about myself?

Thank you.

oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello HinaTabassum

To assess chances for the likes of Booth, it would help to understand your key achievements at work and the business impact that you have had.
Booth will assess your candidature on Academic Potential, Quality of Work Ex, Post MBA Goals & Fit, Diversity
You will need a spike in most of the above to stand a good chance.
Coming to the first part, if you are aiming for a 750+ you get a spike in Academic Potential.
Even in diversity you might be able to score a bit, looking at your ethnicity, but bring out your differentiating factors such as extracurricular activities. Showcase how your peers will benefit from your presence.
Where work ex is concerned, you have mentioned the role/years but that is a quantitative measure of your work. What have you achieved? How have you positively impacted your business?
Lastly, the most important piece of the puzzle is missing- post MBA goals. What is your career plan and how will an MBA from Booth help? Is there a fit?
It will help assess your chances better with a holistic view of answers to these questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com


HinaTabassum wrote:
Hi,

This could turn out to be a disappointment but I am giving it a go anyway.

- 28 year Pakistani woman

- Got a BBA from Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology. Studied on scholarship for all four of the undergrad years. I ahve a CGPA of 3.4 and my major was Finance. Graduated in 2013

- Was a Rotaractor back in my university days and once even went for a Polio drive

- Was part of various other societies back in my university days

- Started my first job in 2013. The first six months were training and then was posted in Corporate Banking front office. Previously was a Relationship Associate. Now I am an Assistant Relationship Manager.

- For one year, headed the female wing of my community's education society

- Handled Finance for Young Women Writer's Forum for more than half a year

- Plan to sit the GMAT exam in November so that I can apply in Round 2 for B Schools. I am aiming for a 750 at least.

Anything else that I should mention here?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 169
Location: India
Schools: INSEAD, HEC, ISB, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 23:02
1
Hello HinaTabassum

Thanks for the detailed answer. Please see my replies in-line in Green.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

HinaTabassum wrote:
Thank you Varun,

Here are the details that you have pointed out have bee missing in my initial post.

Academic Potential: As I have mentioned, I am aiming for a 750+ (I have checked that the average at Booth is 723).
750+ will surely help. But consider this as your passport- it is needed but will not guarantee an entry :-) You could read more on the anatomy of a successful profile here

Quality of Work Experience: My job is a very people oriented job as I am a Corporate Banker in the front office (Relationship Management). it includes dealing with corporate clients with the focus on increasing asset base of the portfolio and minimizing infection through regular reviewing of the said portfolio. At the same time, focusing on industry developments that may affect customers’ needs for banking facilities and to enhance utilization of the respective facilities.
Your work is interesting and since you are involved in the business side of things (rather than technical) you should use that to your advantage. You've very well explained your role, but the lkes of Booth would want to know how has your career progress been? What are your key achievements? (PS- Awards & Promotions are not achievements. They are results. How have you impacted the business of your organization positively?

Post MBA Goals: Short term --> To advance further in my role as a Corporate Banker
Long Term --> 5 Years --> Lead a Corporate Banking Team in one region + Work as a mentor for students who want to pursue a career in finance or more specifically in Corporate Banking
10 Years --> Lead the Regional Corporate Banking Team + Teach Finance course(s) at a local university + Work as a mentor for students who want to pursue a career in finance or more specifically in Corporate Banking
It is good to know that you have given your goals a thought and have broken it down into long term and short term. However, and I ask this since you are already in corporate banking, why can't you progress on this path without an MBA. Why is an MBA an absolute necessity to reach your destination? Especially why an MBA from Booth? You don't need to give me an answer necessarily, but compelling answers to these will be required to ensure an admit. Your could add to your research by reading this article

Diversity: As I have mentioned before, I am a 28 year old Pakistani woman. Have been active as a Rotaractor for 4 years during my undergrad along with being the financial advisor for the SZABIST Social Sciences Society for academic year 2011 - 2012 as I was on the finance team of the SZABIST Student Council for the academic year. After that, worked as a volunteer for the education society of my community and led the female wing for one year as well. Also, attended a Young Leaders' Conference in 2011. This is an annual conference that can be attended by individuals between the ages of 18 and 25). As for hobbies, I write stories, I read, and I paint/draw.
Diversity comes from- Industry, Geography, Role, Achievements and Extracurricular. So your geography/ethnicity (as mentioned earlier too) will add some brownie points. Other activities look good on paper, but more than a laundry list a good extracurricular is something that showcases Long Term & Serious Involvement, a positive impact on your life and/or the life of others. In short for anything that your are involved in bring out how has it made you a better person/professional/candidate.

Anything else that I should add here about myself?
Booth (like all top B School) is interested to know you as a person and not stats. Your profile will be evaluated holistically on Acads+Quality of Work+CareerGoals+Diversity+Fit with Booth. You have touched upon all these factors (except maybe Fit with Booth). The final outcome will depend on how well you tie all this up in your written applications to bring out yourself as a person.
Should you feel the need to discuss this further, give me a holler.


Thank you.

oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello HinaTabassum

To assess chances for the likes of Booth, it would help to understand your key achievements at work and the business impact that you have had.
Booth will assess your candidature on Academic Potential, Quality of Work Ex, Post MBA Goals & Fit, Diversity
You will need a spike in most of the above to stand a good chance.
Coming to the first part, if you are aiming for a 750+ you get a spike in Academic Potential.
Even in diversity you might be able to score a bit, looking at your ethnicity, but bring out your differentiating factors such as extracurricular activities. Showcase how your peers will benefit from your presence.
Where work ex is concerned, you have mentioned the role/years but that is a quantitative measure of your work. What have you achieved? How have you positively impacted your business?
Lastly, the most important piece of the puzzle is missing- post MBA goals. What is your career plan and how will an MBA from Booth help? Is there a fit?
It will help assess your chances better with a holistic view of answers to these questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com


HinaTabassum wrote:
Hi,

This could turn out to be a disappointment but I am giving it a go anyway.

- 28 year Pakistani woman

- Got a BBA from Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology. Studied on scholarship for all four of the undergrad years. I ahve a CGPA of 3.4 and my major was Finance. Graduated in 2013

- Was a Rotaractor back in my university days and once even went for a Polio drive

- Was part of various other societies back in my university days

- Started my first job in 2013. The first six months were training and then was posted in Corporate Banking front office. Previously was a Relationship Associate. Now I am an Assistant Relationship Manager.

- For one year, headed the female wing of my community's education society

- Handled Finance for Young Women Writer's Forum for more than half a year

- Plan to sit the GMAT exam in November so that I can apply in Round 2 for B Schools. I am aiming for a 750 at least.

Anything else that I should mention here?

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2018
Posts: 38
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 08:27
jomregan wrote:
Hi All, I am looking for a profile evaluation, below is a little bit about me. Please note that I do not plan on applying to an MBA program for a couple of years (2-3).

Background/Demographic: 22 year old male from US
GMAT: 700 (47-Q & 40-V)
Undergrad: Indiana University - Kelley School of Business. Major: Economic Consulting, GPA: 3.84
Experience: Just started working at Deloitte Consulting in project controller practice. Previously was a volunteer at the commodities futures trading commission
Extracurriculars: member of Phi Chi Theta Business Fraternity during undergrad, main community involvement has been with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Also, my main hobby is Jiu Jitsu. I have won a few local tournaments in Chicago, and help teach classes twice a week.
Other: International experience includes studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
MBA goals: I aspire to start my own business, and hope that an MBA program will broaden my network as well as develop my leadership skill set.

Thanks!
Johnny



Hello Johnny, nice profile. Since you still have some time and intend to work for a while, I'll advice that you consider augmenting your GMAT score.
700 is great but with a higher GMAT score you can improve your chances of getting into just about any business school since you already have a strong profile.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Fit for Booth? Post profiles here!   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2018, 08:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Fit for Booth? Post profiles here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.