GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2019, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021

  new topic post reply Update application status  

If you are admitted in both MSx and SFMBA, which school and program would you choose?

  • 78% [18]
  • 21% [5]
Author Message
Stanford MSx ThreadMaster
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 73
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 14:19
4
1
Hi prospective MSxers,

I am a new admit in MSx 2020 and I thought I will start a thread for you to share some admission statistics from our year:

- Graduating class of 2020 year was the MOST COMPETITIVE year in MSx history. Previous years they received something like 400-450 applications, this year received 500 applications.

- R1 admitted 34 people, R2 admitted 56 people, and R3 admitted 13 people.

- Depending on the yield-rate, MSx class of 2020 might be 90 to 95 students strong. The previous record for class size was 103.

- Director Mike Hochleutner said that he doesn't see MIT SFMBA as a competitor program. Out of 6-10 dual-admit students each year, usually 1 chooses SFMBA while rest choose MSx.

For MSx 2021 prospective students it is clear that applying in R1 is the best strategy. I hope to see some of you during class visits. If you want to learn about our admission journey, please check out the previous year's thread here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-stan ... l#p2252662

Stanford MSx Deadlines: 2020 Intake
RoundApplication DueDecisions by
Round 112 Sep 2019Early Dec 2019
Round 29 Jan 2020Late Mar 2020
Round 312 Mar 2020Mid Apr 2020


INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2426
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 21:34
1
Thanks Hadamard this is excellent information.

Why do you think you were accepted to Stanford and not Sloan? Especially surprised by that because of the director's comments. Very curious. Did you have a different approach to the app, do you feel the application for Stanford was better suited for your strengths/mission/passions?

Also the most admits are from R2; you recommend R1; are you figuring this because you estimate some round 1 admits were WL and actually admitted in R2?

Have a great year in Palo Alto - make sure to spend time in Monterey, Carmel a bit south....Central California is amazing.
Congrats!

Hadamard wrote:
Hi prospective MSxers,

I am a new admit in MSx 2020 and I thought I will start a thread for you to share some admission statistics from our year:

- Graduating class of 2020 year was the MOST COMPETITIVE year in MSx history. Previous years they received something like 400-450 applications, this year received 500 applications.

- R1 admitted 34 people, R2 admitted 56 people, and R3 admitted 13 people.

- Depending on the yield-rate, MSx class of 2020 might be 90 to 95 students strong. The previous record for class size was 103.

- Director Mike Hochleutner said that he doesn't see MIT SFMBA as a competitor program. Out of 6-10 dual-admit students each year, usually 1 chooses SFMBA while rest choose MSx.

For MSx 2021 prospective students it is clear that applying in R1 is the best strategy. I hope to see some of you during class visits. If you want to learn about our admission journey, please check out the previous year's thread here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-stan ... l#p2252662


Good luck!

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Stanford MSx ThreadMaster
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 73
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 08:53
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Thanks Hadamard this is excellent information.

Why do you think you were accepted to Stanford and not Sloan? Especially surprised by that because of the director's comments. Very curious. Did you have a different approach to the app, do you feel the application for Stanford was better suited for your strengths/mission/passions?

Also the most admits are from R2; you recommend R1; are you figuring this because you estimate some round 1 admits were WL and actually admitted in R2?

Have a great year in Palo Alto - make sure to spend time in Monterey, Carmel a bit south....Central California is amazing.
Congrats!


I applied in SFMBA R3. By the time I was interviewed, Adcom had already admitted couple of student with EXACT same background as mine, so I didn't add much to class diversity.

I recommend R1 because no one with your profile has already been admitted yet and therefore adcom has one less reason to reject you.

Thank you for the wishes!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 06:58
1
Hi Hadamard,

I will be applying to the MSx program this year in R1. I appeared for my GMAT today and scored a below par 720 (Q49, V40). I had consistently scored 750+ on all my 6 GMAT Prep tests and honestly the real score is a setback.

I am Indian with a MBA degree from a top 20 BSchool in India. Have more than 10 years of work ex now. 3 years as an entrepreneur and another 7 working in the digital/startup industry in India. Currently, I work for a startup valued at more than 20Bn dollars and head a business ( with tech, business, sales and marketing team reporting to me).

I am keen to understand my chances of getting into this program. And if I should reappear for GMAT. I have heard that for Indian males the GMAT scores are typically higher to get admission in top BSchools but since MSx is a program for middle-senior executives, I believe this benchmark could be a little different. Could you help me understand what typical backgrounds do Indians from your current batch come from and if my GMAT score is at par with them? I am really confused if I should retake the test or focus on my apps.

Regards,
A
Stanford MSx ThreadMaster
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 73
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2019, 14:02
ankur200 wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

I am really confused if I should retake the test or focus on my apps.


Ankur200,

30-40 additional points on GMAT is not going to make any difference. For my Indian classmates I do not see any "pattern" except that they are really high-achievers. Given your startup experience, seems like you might fit the high-achiever mold.

Here are some important questions to ponder over when writing your essays:

- What was your favorite memory from Stanford campus visit?
- What unique life-story can you contribute to your MSx cohort that no one else can?
- What do you hope to do after MSx?

Hope this helps you get started on your application.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 23:03
Hi Hadamard,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am looking at applying this year. I have an eerily similar profile to that of Ankur200! Business Head with large consumer internet (Fintech) company. Work ex of 14 years - mostly banking & internet start-ups (including an entrepreneurial stint). GMAT 710

From what I have read, it seems Stanford has relatively younger avg. age compared to MIT program. However, it seems, Stanford has a higher share of self funded candidates compared to MIT Sloan (I think 50% are company sponsored). I am likely to be Self sponsored.

It'd also be good if you could throw some light on roles the outgoing batch of SF students have taken after the Program. I did check LinkedIn profiles of some of the recent candidates but it doesn't look like it has been updated for most (or may be they're yet to join). It would be good to understand from you.

Cheers and enjoy the Program!

D
Stanford MSx ThreadMaster
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 73
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 00:10
Justanotherday wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am looking at applying this year. I have an eerily similar profile to that of Ankur200! Business Head with large consumer internet (Fintech) company. Work ex of 14 years - mostly banking & internet start-ups (including an entrepreneurial stint). GMAT 710

From what I have read, it seems Stanford has relatively younger avg. age compared to MIT program. However, it seems, Stanford has a higher share of self funded candidates compared to MIT Sloan (I think 50% are company sponsored). I am likely to be Self sponsored.

It'd also be good if you could throw some light on roles the outgoing batch of SF students have taken after the Program. I did check LinkedIn profiles of some of the recent candidates but it doesn't look like it has been updated for most (or may be they're yet to join). It would be good to understand from you.

Cheers and enjoy the Program!

D


Based on my discussions with Career Management Center at Stanford, MSx students are far more adventurous. We prefer founding our own startup or joining a risky, fast-rising startup rather than join Facebook / Dropbox / AirBnb.

If since your profile is similar to Ankur200, make sure you apply before him to get better shot at admission ;)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2019, 00:30
Hi Hadamard,

I am a Post Graduate in Commerce. I have a work ex of nearly 12 years, in BFSI vertical. I joined as a Probationary Officer in SBI and worked there for 7+ years in corporate credit. Last year I quit SBI in search of a more challenging/meaningful role. As of now, I am working with a Startup as their Credit and Finance head. The firm is into providing financial solutions to corporates and auditing of PSU Banks. My GMAT score is 720.

What do you think about my profile as I plan to apply i R-1?
Stanford MSx ThreadMaster
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 73
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2019, 16:19
the1aspirant wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

I am a Post Graduate in Commerce. I have a work ex of nearly 12 years, in BFSI vertical. I joined as a Probationary Officer in SBI and worked there for 7+ years in corporate credit. Last year I quit SBI in search of a more challenging/meaningful role. As of now, I am working with a Startup as their Credit and Finance head. The firm is into providing financial solutions to corporates and auditing of PSU Banks. My GMAT score is 720.

What do you think about my profile as I plan to apply i R-1?


Thanks for the background. I am not sure I understand following things about your profile:

1) What impact did you make in the startup? One year seems like too short a time to make any meaningful impact.
2) Why are you quitting after just one year at the startup?

You can DM if you are more comfortable talking privately.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2019, 20:58
I messaged you however there was no reply from your end. Did you get my message?

Hadamard wrote:
the1aspirant wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

I am a Post Graduate in Commerce. I have a work ex of nearly 12 years, in BFSI vertical. I joined as a Probationary Officer in SBI and worked there for 7+ years in corporate credit. Last year I quit SBI in search of a more challenging/meaningful role. As of now, I am working with a Startup as their Credit and Finance head. The firm is into providing financial solutions to corporates and auditing of PSU Banks. My GMAT score is 720.

What do you think about my profile as I plan to apply i R-1?


Thanks for the background. I am not sure I understand following things about your profile:

1) What impact did you make in the startup? One year seems like too short a time to make any meaningful impact.
2) Why are you quitting after just one year at the startup?

You can DM if you are more comfortable talking privately.

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 7190
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 01:18
Welcome all MSx folks. Just added deadlines and stats table in the main post.

BTW, R1 submission deadline is tomorrow. Good luck to all. Do update us here on the thread once you submit your app.
_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 07:09
Thanks Hadamard for your input. I managed to catch the R1 deadline. Anyone else here who's applied in R1?


Hadamard wrote:
Justanotherday wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am looking at applying this year. I have an eerily similar profile to that of Ankur200! Business Head with large consumer internet (Fintech) company. Work ex of 14 years - mostly banking & internet start-ups (including an entrepreneurial stint). GMAT 710

From what I have read, it seems Stanford has relatively younger avg. age compared to MIT program. However, it seems, Stanford has a higher share of self funded candidates compared to MIT Sloan (I think 50% are company sponsored). I am likely to be Self sponsored.

It'd also be good if you could throw some light on roles the outgoing batch of SF students have taken after the Program. I did check LinkedIn profiles of some of the recent candidates but it doesn't look like it has been updated for most (or may be they're yet to join). It would be good to understand from you.

Cheers and enjoy the Program!

D


Based on my discussions with Career Management Center at Stanford, MSx students are far more adventurous. We prefer founding our own startup or joining a risky, fast-rising startup rather than join Facebook / Dropbox / AirBnb.

If since your profile is similar to Ankur200, make sure you apply before him to get better shot at admission ;)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 10:35
Just plonked mine in! :please
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2426
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2019, 02:53
1
Good luck fbhbo! :please
fbhbo wrote:
Just plonked mine in! :please

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Location: Singapore
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 07:30
I applied for R1 too!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 10:07
any updates? any roll outs for anyone?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2019, 09:49
Been rather quiet from the GSB end! Nervous times.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Location: Singapore
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2019, 10:07
fbhbo wrote:
Been rather quiet from the GSB end! Nervous times.


Im chewing my finger nails too!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 18:14
Wrote to Stanford to check if any updates. They said watch out for emails on 13 Nov.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 19:03
Thank you for checking! Does anyone know how many applicants they had in this round?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2019, 19:03

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mvictor






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne