Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Email from current students [#permalink]
Did anyone get an email from a current student, saying that they got your contact information from the admissions and were in your town over the winter break...and are willing to answer any questions about Stern?

I don't have an interview yet and waiting for a long long time, but just got this email from a girl.... not sure what that means
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am a current first year NYU student. If anybody has any questions about student life, faculty, facilities, let me know. I'll do my best to answer. I don't know too much about admissions though but can try answer as best I can.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bosley wrote:
I am a current first year NYU student. If anybody has any questions about student life, faculty, facilities, let me know. I'll do my best to answer. I don't know too much about admissions though but can try answer as best I can.

Stern will conduct hub interviews for internationals (R1) only in March and the last date for the decision is 28th feb. How does this work? Does the school consider these candidates along with R2?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
This may seem like a really stupid question to ask, but does Stern require recommendations at all ? I just started my application and can't seem to find the place where I can notify my recommendors from. Perhaps someone can point me in the correct direction ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes they require recommendations. Look around the application bit - last year it sent them a web-ap link.

International students can get a $40k loan, which near covers fees, straight through citiAssist. You can make the rest work from home or whatever else you have at your availability (I have domestic and US loans)

Stern Essay three is often called the creative essay. How creative do you feel reusing a powerpoint presentation is? Trust me on the fact that your essay three will likely meet with you again if you get an interview. Everyone I have spoken to who did a creative essay met theirs in the i/view.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink]
Did anybody receive any decisions yet? The first batch of interviews have been done but my husband and I have been waiting for almost 3 weeks and counting. I understand that there has been holidays but does anybody have a good idea on when they are going to release the results?
Good luck everybody!
Current Student
Send PM
From the looks of things around here, there has been no-one in the school from between about the 22nd until today. So I would discount that week / ten days from any of your count, and try to be patient.

For me, I applied 15 Jan and got an interview call around and about early March. So it can take a while. Hold tight.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
bsd, depending on what your powerpoint was about, I would recommend you change it a little for NYU. For example, if your ppt for GSB were pictures, then for NYU, actually print out the pictures and make a collage. If your ppt was about your musical interests, then for NYU I would burn a CD of your band playing or something... I personally wouldn't submit the ppt, 3 slides or not, to NYU just like that, even if it's tailored for NYU.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
That's a much better way of reusing the GSB PPT without making it obvious that the PPT has been reused. BSD, I hope you are not sending the PPT to NYU.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
From the looks of things around here, there has been no-one in the school from between about the 22nd until today. So I would discount that week / ten days from any of your count, and try to be patient.

For me, I applied 15 Jan and got an interview call around and about early March. So it can take a while. Hold tight.

Do you recall how long you waited for your decision after the interview, 3underscore?
Current Student
Send PM
Guaranteed with fifteen days I think it was - maybe ten - it is pretty quick. The idea is that if they interview you, it is for you to lose. So you don't get particularly reassessed against the candidate pool (I mean to compare to schools where you interview whenever, but everyone finds out the same day, no matter when they interviewed).

I remember three people from the room waiting for my interview, and they are all here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Guaranteed with fifteen days I think it was - maybe ten - it is pretty quick. The idea is that if they interview you, it is for you to lose. So you don't get particularly reassessed against the candidate pool (I mean to compare to schools where you interview whenever, but everyone finds out the same day, no matter when they interviewed).

I remember three people from the room waiting for my interview, and they are all here.

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I was wondering if I can mail my official transcripts to the admissions office before I submit my online application or do I have to submit my online application prior to mailing my official transcripts?

I e-mailed adcom just now as well.

EDIT: Wow, I got a response in 3 minutes. It is fine to mail supplemental materials in before your online application is submitted.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
ryguy904 - Submitted 01/06
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Those who wrote poems for the third essay, is the poem describing you directly? I am worried about the "Describe yourself to your classmates" clause. I have a poem and a traditional essay ready for the 3rd essay but I am weighing the options. I really need some advice here.

My poem is aimed towards my view of a particular event that affected me and others around me. It is philosophical and doesn't directly talk about me, but it does inspect my views about my everyday life in the light of that event.

Will it be acceptable to the Stern Adcom? I read that a few people sent in paintings. I think that writing a poem about an event in some regards is similar to painting. Any inputs??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Iwannabe wrote:
Those who wrote poems for the third essay, is the poem describing you directly? I am worried about the "Describe yourself to your classmates" clause. I have a poem and a traditional essay ready for the 3rd essay but I am weighing the options. I really need some advice here.

My poem is aimed towards my view of a particular event that affected me and others around me. It is philosophical and doesn't directly talk about me, but it does inspect my views about my everyday life in the light of that event.

Will it be acceptable to the Stern Adcom? I read that a few people sent in paintings. I think that writing a poem about an event in some regards is similar to painting. Any inputs??

I'm also weighing the same options - a poem and an essay.
My poem is truely describing my life journey, it is not abstract, its just about me, plain and simple.
and the essay (still in works) is describing an event that brings out some past events/background and describes myself indirectly ...
I'm leaning towards the essay ...thats more because my poem adds some redundancy to what I've said elsewhere in the app. and to
some extent seems childish to me ..

Anyway, I think your poem theme should be acceptable .. remember they advertise one essay where a guy simply wrote what he believed/thought about what he observed
during one whole day ...And directly describing oneself might be boring (as my poem :( ) )

So may be you can base your choice on and in the following order:
(1) What speaks more about you, the essay or the poem ?
(2) What is more gripping ?
(3) Is there, by any chance, any redundancy in what essays 1 & 2 have brought out when compared to #3 ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
I would avoid an essay at all costs.

I also would try and stay away from "writing" something for essay 3 unless it is really unique. If you are doing a script for a sitcom or screenplay, maybe that would be okay because it is unusual. As far as a poem, although it's not an essay, it seems to me that it will probably come off as boring and forgettable, IMO. When I turned in my essay 3, I said to myself, "Self, I want something that they will remember at the end of the day." I certainly know that I accomplished that. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't stand a chance being a white boy from Cali with a 680 GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  26