Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
very tough choice NC... it sounds like your fit at Ross is better than UCLA based on all your reasoning. I wish I could give more comments, but I don't know Ross' program well enough, so I can only say that the E-ship at UCLA will definitely get you doing startups immediately. But it sounds like Ross can do that too.

The cost of living difference is solely determined by the location and weather. Like my previous comment about Fargo (North Dakota), you get what you pay for. If you and your wife are ok with that, then by all means, the location and weather should no longer be a factor (whereas in my case, both are huge factors and thus strikes against Kellogg, since I pretty much refuse to live in those sort of winter conditions if I don't *have* to :P)

bewakoof, no offense taken, it's all about your individual fit. To give NC a different viewpoint, comparing Days at Haas and Anderson Days, I was blown away by DAH. A-Days was fun, well organized, professional, informative, and cool. The people were friendly, genuine, and helpful. But Haas was simply awesome for me. I felt the energy and friendliness of the students, the love they have for the school, and the excitement they bring to everything they do at every event. It's also interesting to note that I met very few engineers at Days at Haas, whereas many people I met at A-Days were engineers... it's probably just a luck of the draw. Also, no offense to any Anderson students, past, present or future, I did feel that the "sharpness" (as NC puts it) of the students at Haas were slightly higher than Anderson, ONLY based on the people I met. Again, this is NOT intended to be a knock at Anderson people, whom I was quite impressed with, but just drilling down to the very fine points (nitpicking). Maybe it's because I'm one of those "nerdy/engineery" types? :wink: hahaha :lol:

It is unfortunate that Anderson didn't tell you about your admit until too late, because A-Days would be crucial for you to decide your fit at Anderson. I wish we could tell you what the experience was like, but just from reading bewakoof's and my polar opposite experiences at A-Days, it really all depends on the person.

Check with red_s4, maybe he can give a 3rd unique perspective of A-Days to help you learn vicariously through your GMATClubbers to help you make the decision?

kry - its all the matter of luck..I am sure people at Haas are WONDERFUL! and have nothing against Haas.. It is all one's perspective - I am sure if I were at admit weekend at Haas, I would have had a blast and enjoyed the company of present and future classmates.

I was really worried about my Waitlist at Kellogg but after my UCLA weekend, I wasn't even thinking about Kellogg. I can't stress how important admit weekends are for understanding school's culture. For me I know I will have opportunity to lead few things and bring new things on the table that hasn't been done before..

I WILL be Very happy at UCLA/Duke and You will BE Very Happy at Berkley/Kellogg.

In the end: A lot of it is what you put in, is what you get out. I am sure majority of us gmatclubber's are very diven, motivated and are hardworkers. We have worked hard to get to this position and I am sure we will be Successful in WHATEVER we aim to do!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
bewakoof, I agree 100%. I did not mean to say whether one school was better than the other, sorry if my post came across that way. :) I sincerely believe all of the top 15 schools will be great for us, as long as we found one that fits our personality and our career goals best. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
nc, come to Ross. You know you want it :lol: But jokes aside, I think this is a fantastic discussion and it's great how all of you are helping nc with his decision. Since my knowledge about UCLA is severely limited, I'm going to respectfully stand aside and watch how this unfolds.

psst...come to Ross. I'm learning how to cook some wonderful dishes. Will share 'em with you!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Just got an interview after being waitlisted on 3/27.

Woohoo!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congrats!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
congrats ryguy!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
terp06,
Thanks for the great info. I'll continue to evaluate the 3 schools in the coming months and try to decide which makes the most sense for me.

I agree that NYC or CA makes more sense than Chicago. Another possible post-MBA location is Houston since I may focus on the energy sector. I didn't realize there was much IB opportunity in LA. I always assumed that West Coast IB opportunities were all in SF...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
terp06,
Thanks for the great info. I'll continue to evaluate the 3 schools in the coming months and try to decide which makes the most sense for me.

I agree that NYC or CA makes more sense than Chicago. Another possible post-MBA location is Houston since I may focus on the energy sector. I didn't realize there was much IB opportunity in LA. I always assumed that West Coast IB opportunities were all in SF...

Moelis & Co, UBS, Credit Suisse all have large offices in LA and they are very reputable shops. Most of the other bulge brackets have very small offices. Goldman is tiny in LA, for example. There is more opportunity in SF for sure, don't get me wrong. But there is plenty in LA as well - SoCal has a very dynamic and diversified economy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
did anyone else get the UCLA application survey? It asks you to rate and comment their application process, their website, infosessions, admissions office, and brand image. I definitely provided my "constructive criticisms". :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I got it. The $50 gift card sounded nice, but then I saw that only 1 person would get it. My first feedback would be to tell them to give $5 to everyone who completes the survey and not just promise an entry. :lol:

kryzak wrote:
did anyone else get the UCLA application survey? It asks you to rate and comment their application process, their website, infosessions, admissions office, and brand image. I definitely provided my "constructive criticisms". :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
So what's is gonna be NC? Ross or UCLA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Had my interview yesterday on campus with Jessica L. Fairly standard format - it was conversational but not too relaxed. The usual suspects - "Why MBA, why now, why Anderson, teamwork example, challenge you overcame, how has that shaped you, clubs you'd participate in, what would you do for fun etc. outside classwork..." and one that threw me for a minute, "Tell me about a disappointment in your life." She seemed to relate to what I was saying, at least a bit, and clearly appreciated that I had flown out from NY for the interview. She also noted the students that I'd spoken with - I set up an informal chat/lunch for myself w/the current president of the Entertainment Management Association, and obviously she knew the guy quite well. Took a TON of notes. :shock:
After lunch, I wandered about the campus taking pictures and sticking my nose into buildings. Students were all very warm and friendly, and the facilities were astonishing. Top of the line stuff. Anderson students I met were a nice combination of ambitious gunners and well-balanced folk. Can't think of a better place to learn to launch my film production company, so everybody cross your fingers and do your hay-making rain dances for me, ok?? :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
sounds like your interview went really well. good luck!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
congrats on the good interview and good luck, uphill! Seems like you had the same great experience I had at UCLA when I visited! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Thanks rapid, kry...yeah, I was really impressed with the school and how welcoming everybody was. Lots of smart happy people running around - I dig that! Now comes the wait....*sigh*
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I'm just curious. For all of you who were admitted, what is your intended area of study and your short term goal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
has anyone interviewed with Jennifer Tabbush at Anderson? I think she is an associate adcom. My interview with her is this Monday.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36