It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cameras that automatically focus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 169 [3], given: 75

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Cameras that automatically focus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:24) correct 43% (01:23) wrong based on 435 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Cameras that automatically focus using phase detection have been around since the 1970s. However, these early auto-focusing cameras were slow and easily confused by low light and low contrast. In the 1980s, Japanese manufacturers introduced automatically focusing cameras that remedied these problems, and now professional 35 mm cameras have the ability to automatically focus and to quickly determine which of several possible subjects needs to be most in focus.

Which of the following statements can be inferred given the information above?

(A) Automatic focusing in today's professional 35 mm cameras does not use phase detection.
(B) In the 1980s, some camera manufacturers produced cameras that focused faster than some of the cameras manufactured in the 1970s.
(C) Cameras produced in the 1970s could not determine which of several possible subjects most needed to be in focus.
(D) Today's professional 35 mm cameras that focus automatically are never confused by low light or low contrast.
(E) If a subject is in insufficient light, a camera built today that focuses automatically will generally take a clearer picture of the subject than one that doesn't focus automatically .
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Kudos [?]: 169 [3], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 718 [1], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cameras that automatically focus [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1970 camera: [auto focus] + using [phase detection], but [slow] & [confused by low light and low contrast]
1980 camera: FIX [slow] + [low light & constrast] & [35mm camera have ability to auto focus and quickly determine which of several possible subjects need to be most in focus]

QUESTION TYPE: Inference => Must be true

alphaseeker wrote:
Cameras that automatically focus using phase detection have been around since the 1970s. However, these early auto-focusing cameras were slow and easily confused by low light and low contrast. In the 1980s, Japanese manufacturers introduced automatically focusing cameras that remedied these problems, and now professional 35 mm cameras have the ability to automatically focus and to quickly determine which of several possible subjects needs to be most in focus.

(A) Automatic focusing in today's professional 35 mm cameras does not use phase detection. => no metion
(B) In the 1980s, some camera manufacturers produced cameras that focused faster than some of the cameras manufactured in the 1970s. => highlight above
(C) Cameras produced in the 1970s could not determine which of several possible subjects most needed to be in focus. => extreme and wrong
(D) Today's professional 35 mm cameras that focus automatically are never confused by low light or low contrast. => extremely wrong
(E) If a subject is in insufficient light, a camera built today that focuses automatically will generally take a clearer picture of the subject than one that doesn't focus automatically . => not mention and extremely wrong

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [1], given: 44

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 05:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 573 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
let us look at the answer options -

A - cannot be inferred. all the author says is this - "Cameras that automatically focus using phase detection have been around since the 1970s." this statement implies that they are still around.

B - correct answer. read the argument carefully. "these early auto-focusing cameras were slow and easily confused by low light and low contrast. In the 1980s, Japanese manufacturers introduced automatically focusing cameras that remedied these problems"
"some camera manufacturers" refers to "Japanese manufacturers".

C - Incorrect. "early auto-focusing cameras were slow and easily confused by low light and low contrast." - This only implies that they did not function very well in low light and contrast. this does not mean that they could not determine which of the subjects needed to be in focus.

D - Incorrect. "professional 35 mm cameras have the ability to automatically focus and to quickly determine which of several possible subjects needs to be most in focus." - this only means that they do a better job than previous cameras. Does not mean that they will never be confused by low light or contrast.

E - incorrect. "professional 35 mm cameras have the ability to automatically focus and to quickly determine which of several possible subjects needs to be most in focus." - all we can infer is that cameras today do a better job at focusing than previous cameras did.
Does not mention that today's auto focus cameras are better than today's cameras that do not have auto focus. Note that the argument talks only about auto focus cameras. Information about non auto focus cameras cannot be inferred.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 573 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 126

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 20:49
I fell for C. In this line "these early auto-focusing cameras were slow and easily confused by low light and low contrast." isn't author trying to say that the cameras used to get confused and not able to focus objects?
and I ruled out option B because of some in it like how do we know that the Japanese manufacturers produced cameras that focused faster than some of the cameras manufactured in 1970. It could be all too?

Can anyone help me on this?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 126

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 04:55
alphaseeker wrote:

(A) Automatic focusing in today's professional 35 mm cameras does not use phase detection.
(B) In the 1980s, some camera manufacturers produced cameras that focused faster than some of the cameras manufactured in the 1970s.
(C) Cameras produced in the 1970s could not determine which of several possible subjects most needed to be in focus.
(D) Today's professional 35 mm cameras that focus automatically are never confused by low light or low contrast.
(E) If a subject is in insufficient light, a camera built today that focuses automatically will generally take a clearer picture of the subject than one that doesn't focus automatically .

I too would go for C because of "that remedied these problems, and now (...) and to quickly determine which of several possible subjects needs to be most in focus."

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 166

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 09:34
Straight B.
Camera in 70's were slow and 80's camera remedied these problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 166

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 84

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 10:32
Good Question

Let's eliminate options first

-fact given - 3 phase detection have been around since the 1970s.
So this is not true

-remedied the problems.. Yes but use of word never is extreme

- the comparison should be Between 1970 & 1980
And please note that both were auto focus
Here the comparison is btwn auto and non-auto focus hence not in scope

Let us elaborate B and C

The below line from passage is important to infer
'35 mm cameras have the ability to automatically focus and to quickly determine..which subject to focus'

- okay the camera in 1980 could quickly determine subject to focus hence faster than 1970s model

-it is mentioned that it could quickly determine no where we can conclude that 1970s they could not determine it is just mentioned that it was slow and get confused with lowlights

C is the ans

Kudos please if explanation helped
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't stop when you are tired , stop when you are DONE .

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 84

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 07:02
Cannot agree with the answer.In my opinion all answer choices are wrong.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 05:29
pkm9995109794 wrote:
Cannot agree with the answer.In my opinion all answer choices are wrong.

Hi pkm9995109794,

Let's analyze the argument. I too missed the key word, though I got the answer through POE.

-- We are comparing cameras from the 1970s, to cameras from the 1980s, to cameras of today.
-- Problems: 1970s: Poor light and contrast issues, but ALSO (in green) SLOW - I missed this part, because I read 'both problems' as confused and light contrast, but it is referencing those two, plus the slowness of the cameras.
-- Solution: 1980s: Remedies ALL problems, therefore some HAVE to be FASTER than the SLOW models

(B) In the 1980s, some camera manufacturers produced cameras that focused faster than some of the cameras manufactured in the 1970s. -- Word for word out solution.

Does this help?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Cameras that automatically focus   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 05:29

Cameras that automatically focus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap