Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Geometryx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618901 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 400 Q26 V20
GMAT 2: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 3: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a [#permalink]
JeffTargetTestPrep @avigordan BrentGMATPrepNow Bunuel EMPOWERgmatRichC what is the role of parallel her? No explanation here has clarified that? Can you tell me a case where the sides will not be parallel given the glass is a rectangle and given that it will cover the table top? EVen if it does not cover the table top, it can still be positioned parallel. And that is why which is the scenario wherein it CANNOT (ever) be positioned parallel given the above info?

IMO, it CAN ALWAYS be positioned parallel becaus eit is a rectangle and not parallelogram. EVen the diagram by Bunuel above is wrong
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Elite097,

It's possible that the original wording of the question has been tweaked over the years, but the detail of having the sides of the glass and the sides of the table must be parallel is ultimately irrelevant (as you can find the correct answer by TESTing VALUES). That having been said, the original author (when originally creating the question all those years ago) might have been trying to 'eliminate' the option that you could lay the glass diagonally over the table and still completely cover it.

For example, with a table that is 36 inches by 60 inches, if you place a piece of glass that is 59 inches by 59 inches - with the corresponding sides parallel - the glass will NOT completely cover the table (the glass would be just a little short along the 60-inch axis). However, if you rotate the glass a bit (meaning that the sides would NOT be parallel with the sides of the table), then the glass WOULD completely cover the table.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Can a certain rectangular sheet of glass be positioned on a [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC I get your point and now that I think about it , it actually will still not cver the table because the area of the glass will be smaller than the top right? Pls clarify. Even I had a mild affinity to your reasoning before I realised this. Hence also pls give an answer to my previous question in this context

For glass greater than table top, there will always be a way to position parallely so we are only concerned with when dimensions are small but in that case it will never cover table top so what is the utility of introducing 'should be parallel' in the question stem
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618901 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
krishna_sunder_ wrote:
I don't understand something,
This is a DS question
so it mean's they are not asking weather the ans is yes/ no
but they are rather asking whether

a) it can be solved by first statement alone
b) it can be solved by second statement alone
c) both the statement are necessary, and one statement alone is not enough
d) the question is solvable by both the statement's individually
e) cannot be solved

that way shouldn't the answer be C

Ik that isn't the answer and i am going wrong somewhere. Can someone pl. guide me where i am going wrong.

There are two types of data sufficiency questions:

1. YES/NO DS Questions:

In Yes/No Data Sufficiency questions, a statement is sufficient if the answer is always "yes" or always "no", whereas a statement is insufficient if the answer can be "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no".

2. VALUE DS QUESTIONS:

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can obtain a single numerical value for this variable.

The question at hand belongs to the first category. The answer here is E because even taken together statements are not sufficient to give a definite YES or a definite NO answer to the question.

Hope it's clear.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts