GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Can alumni help?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Kellogg Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Can alumni help?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 06:30
Hi everyone,

One of my mentors has their MBA from Kellogg and I wanted to know if there was anything they could do on my behalf, like write to the admissions committee or something along those lines, that would help add to my application? They've been extremely helpful in talking about their experience and how Kellogg has helped them in their career and they said they would be willing to help me in anyway that I can, so I'm just wondering if there was anything else they could do.

Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: Can alumni help?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 07:45
Hi,

I would like to mention that this is a great thing that you have an alumnus as your close mentor who is willing to help you get into the B-school. If you have worked with the alum, I would say surely discuss about sending a letter of recommendation from his/her side to Kellogg after you are done with your application. Moreover, do explore the possibility of using him as one of your official recommenders if you have worked closely with him/her. Schools really appreciate if a current student or an alum can vouch for you to be a part of their community.

Hope that helps, Good Luck!

jaja231 wrote:
Hi everyone,

One of my mentors has their MBA from Kellogg and I wanted to know if there was anything they could do on my behalf, like write to the admissions committee or something along those lines, that would help add to my application? They've been extremely helpful in talking about their experience and how Kellogg has helped them in their career and they said they would be willing to help me in anyway that I can, so I'm just wondering if there was anything else they could do.

Thanks for your help!
Kellogg Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 07:56
vg9 wrote:
Hi,

I would like to mention that this is a great thing that you have an alumnus as your close mentor who is willing to help you get into the B-school. If you have worked with the alum, I would say surely discuss about sending a letter of recommendation from his/her side to Kellogg after you are done with your application. Moreover, do explore the possibility of using him as one of your official recommenders if you have worked closely with him/her. Schools really appreciate if a current student or an alum can vouch for you to be a part of their community.

[/quote]

Hi, thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I haven't worked with them in a professional capacity, so I don't think having them as one of my official recommenders will work, but I will definitely look into having them send a letter after I've applied.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Sales (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 11:48
vg9 wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

What if a family member is an alumus? My mother, uncle, and grandpa all did their MBA/Exec MBA at Kellogg, and I figured that a recommendation from them wouldn't carry much merit.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 23:53
Hi Fellow prospective MBA candidate,

This is such interesting thing to have an alumni of your B-School of dream very close to you if that is the case or at least to be interacting with. As far I'm concern, I think he will be a valuable support for letter of recommendation, for career advice, and also for campus visit planning. I mention campus visit because before that trip you should be prepared to mention some detailed information you can't find on websites that make sometimes difference in B-School. I encourage you to prepare carefully each lunch or meeting with this alumni. He can help you save money (To reduce the cost not to eliminate) from hiring expensive admissions experts or buying Admissions guide books.
I can tell you I'm also interested in Kellog but in the One-year MBA program.

I wish you the best in this interaction,

Olivier
INSEAD Thread Master
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 00:36
jaja231 have this person write a "letter of support"
https://www.clearadmit.com/mba-admissions-tips/admissions-tip-letters-of-support/

jaja231 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Can alumni help?   [#permalink] 18 May 2019, 00:36

Can alumni help?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana