GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Can I do my mba in investment banking from NYU stern at the age of 30

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Can I do my mba in investment banking from NYU stern at the age of 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2020, 08:08
Hi,

I'm 29 now.working for sap as software consultant.I'm wanna give my gmat in march.

My dream is to become a invstment banker due to some mental depression i couldn't make it happened during my past 2 years.

My plan is to pursuing it from NYu stern or wharton.

Any suggestions/inputs.

Thanks,
Kalyan.
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Can I do my mba in investment banking from NYU stern at the age of 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2020, 08:14
Of course you can.
You'll be fine.
And good luck with your ambition.

Posted from my mobile device
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting GMAT Club special
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
Tutor
D
Re: Can I do my mba in investment banking from NYU stern at the age of 30  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2020, 08:36
Hello, Kalyan, and welcome to the community. There is nothing barring you from applying to either school, although you have certainly set your sights high. Check out each school's class profile--Stern here and Wharton here--and assess what you would bring to the table, relative to other successful candidates. You will note that at Stern for the class of 2021, the average age was 28, but someone as old as 39 was admitted; likewise, at Wharton, the mean number of years of work experience was 5, with at least one successful candidate having 16 years of work experience under his or her belt, most likely someone at least in the mid-30s.

You have to ask yourself what you are willing to put into your work to achieve your dream. There are a lot of people clamoring for those admits, so you may have to consciously develop yourself into a more competitive student. If you plan on taking the GMAT™ in March, how are your preliminary scores? You will want to be in the mid-700s (730-750+) for sure. Do you have relevant work experience to what it is you hope to do, career-wise? Since you mentioned it, have you found a way to mitigate the effects of depression? Along these lines, what would you do if you were rejected from the two schools? If the answer is "Give up," then you might want to reconsider. Put everything on the line, give this effort all you have got, and see what happens. You cannot change your past, but you can certainly make decisions in any given moment that will affect subsequent developments. If you are not already studying for the GMAT™, then you need to get on that as soon as possible. You might want to write a few queries in the admissions consultant boards to see what advice such experts might have to offer. Be open to new ideas.

Good luck in your pursuits.

- Andrew
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE: Other (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2020, 05:35
I am at Stern now. 30 is not a problem for banking recruiting.

But I wouldn't worry about the age; I would worry about the "fit". Since you mentioned about mental depression, I think you should consider whether banking is a good fit for you.

The whole recruiting process is extremely competitive and stressful. Then the real working environment is another level. I've seen people crying, seen people having mental breaking down......during just recruiting process.

If you can't handle the stress, you should think about some other careers.
Tutor
D

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2020, 09:43
Huahua1987 wrote:
I am at Stern now. 30 is not a problem for banking recruiting.

But I wouldn't worry about the age; I would worry about the "fit". Since you mentioned about mental depression, I think you should consider whether banking is a good fit for you.

The whole recruiting process is extremely competitive and stressful. Then the real working environment is another level. I've seen people crying, seen people having mental breaking down......during just recruiting process.

If you can't handle the stress, you should think about some other careers.

Thank you, Huahua1987, for looking through an older post and providing a well-informed opinion. The community thrives on such thoughtful responses. Kudos from me.

Good luck at Stern. (I do NOT have the business mentality, that much I know about myself.)

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Can I do my mba in investment banking from NYU stern at the age of 30   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2020, 09:43

Can I do my mba in investment banking from NYU stern at the age of 30

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: MsInvBanker