GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 12 Jul 2020, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Can someone help clear my doubt on conjunction adverbs?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Can someone help clear my doubt on conjunction adverbs?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 19:09
Hi All,

Hope everyone is safe and well during these challenging times!

I recently came across an OG 18 - (Question 600) Critical Reasoning question.

***600. Politician: Hybrid cars use significantly less fuel per kilometer than nonhybrids. And fuel produces air pollution, which contributes to a number of environmental problems. Motorists can save money by driving cars that are more fuel efficient, and they will be encouraged to drive hybrid cars if we make them aware of that fact. Therefore, we can help reduce the total amount of pollution emitted by cars in this country by highlighting this advantage of hybrid cars.

Which of the following, if true, would most indicate a vulnerability of the politician's argument?***

While I was reading the question. I couldn’t help but notice the usage of the conjunctive adverb ‘therefore’ used after a full-stop and followed by a comma to connect two independent clauses.

I was curious if that is correct? As the Aristotle Prep - Sentance Correction book that I currently use, says that conjunctive adverbs must only be preceded by a semi-colon if connecting independant clauses

While i know this is a CR question can someone help me on the usage of conjunctive adverbs with a full-stop like in that question??

Appreciate any help!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G
Can someone help clear my doubt on conjunction adverbs?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 19:56
strsf

Hi

Good question.

When I did research more about your question, I came across a material that helped me clarify your doubt.

The summary is as follows:

Conjunctive adverbs are indeed used to separate two independent clauses.

The wrong usage of conjunctive adverbs (example): Erica felt as if she might faint from hunger, therefore, she decided to have lunch at 12pm.
In this example, two independent clauses are separated using a conjunctive adverb ''therefore'' along with a comma.

How to correct such an incorrect usage of conjunctive adverbs (example)
1) Using a semicolon (;) Erica felt as if she might faint from hunger; therefore, she decided to have lunch at 12pm.
2) Using a period (or a full stop) (.) Erica felt as if she might faint from hunger. Therefore, she decided to have lunch at 12pm.

Both 1 and 2 are considered correct.

If you would like to browse through the entire article that I used as reference, I have attached the URL along with this response.

https://www.iup.edu/writingcenter/writing-resources/grammar/common-problems-with-however,-therefore,-and-similar-words/

Hope that this helps. :)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Can someone help clear my doubt on conjunction adverbs?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 20:49
Would appreciate if any GMAT Verbal Expert could clarify this doubt

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Can someone help clear my doubt on conjunction adverbs?   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2020, 20:49

Can someone help clear my doubt on conjunction adverbs?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics