Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink]
Actually, no, you can ask.

First say something about financial package being an important factor in your decision and ask them under what circumstances, if any, they're willing to reconsider your package. They might engage you right there or they might tell you what you need to do next.

I've heard of the following situations:

* "What? You want more? Hold on......how about $10k more?" (This was on the phone, and I think it was actually a return call the next day, but you get the idea.)

* You need to provide us updated financial info showing your need.

* Everyone who applies is spending big money to do this, so financial need is not a consideration. However, if you believe there are merit-based reasons that you deserve more scholarship money, you may write a letter to the scholarship committee outlining your qualifications. This should be information about you that is not already in your application.

I think situation 3 is the most common. Some board members have been successful in their pleas, and some have not.

I say go ahead and ask - it's not like they're going to revoke the acceptance. As long as you're not a jerk about it, you have nothing to lose. Playing coy is unlikely to get you anywhere.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hmm... are we sure they couldn't pull back a admit based on asking?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Hmm... are we sure they couldn't pull back a admit based on asking?

I have never, ever heard of that.

and why would they? they've admitted you, and you've made a simple, reasonable request.

are you being a jerk, or are you bring polite?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
of course polite. I've never really seen many posts on the forum actually asking this question.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
of course polite. I've never really seen many posts on the forum actually asking this question.

there was a lengthy-ish discussion last year, and one the year before. i probably posted on both of them, but can't remember much else by way of extra search clues.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Aaudetat -

Would you recommend calling, or emailing the AdCom if you were going to ask to be reconsidered for some financial assistance? I am thinking about asking Duke, as I just received their package and was slightly disappointed (although still very happy to be admitted!) not be awarded any money. I don't have a huge amount of savings, so every little bit helps.

~Sam
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

there was a lengthy-ish discussion last year, and one the year before. i probably posted on both of them, but can't remember much else by way of extra search clues.

you may find aaudetat's posts in this thread from the knowledge vault.

123-p422566?t=58749
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I plan to ask the adcoms at my top three options for additional aid. Schools X and Y are essentially tied, rank-wise... school Z is a few notches below, but it's an in-state school, which would obviously be significantly cheaper (and thus more attractive) for me to attend.

The question I'm facing is, after shamelessly selling myself just to get into each of these schools, what possible new merits do I have to showcase that would affect their aid offers? The only thing I can think of is that nearer the deposit deadline, their pool of available aid money will have replenished somewhat as other admits decline the school's offer to go elsewhere, freeing up their awards for others. Maybe it would pay to hold off until March to start asking for more cash? Does that make any sense?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Ntang wrote:
The question I'm facing is, after shamelessly selling myself just to get into each of these schools, what possible new merits do I have to showcase that would affect their aid offers?

I bet you can come up with other selling points. For example, I discussed coming from a working class background and how important that made education for me, and thus how committed I would be to the experience. I also talked about contributions to the community that I planned to make. You might look at essays for XY to get ideas for Z, and vice versa.

Ntang wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that nearer the deposit deadline, their pool of available aid money will have replenished somewhat as other admits decline the school's offer to go elsewhere, freeing up their awards for others. Maybe it would pay to hold off until March to start asking for more cash? Does that make any sense?

[/quote]

Hmmm. I dunno. I would guess that at this point, the schools are more likely to be worried about yield and filling the class. As they get closer to R3, they have a better idea where they are and might decide that you're not so important (or that you are REALLY important). With the student loan situation what it is, I would guess that schools are fairly worried at this point, unless they've come up with viable alternatives. I'm just guessing, of course.
GMAT Club Bot