Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [212]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [54]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [44]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [9]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Re: Canadian scientists have calculated that one human being should be [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Scientists calculate that a human being will be struck, not should be struck. This leaves all but C and D.

I will go with D even though it uses the passive voice because it is most parallel to the un-underlined portion of the sentence.

"Each year buildings can be expected to sustain damage."
"Every 9 years a human will be struck by a meteorite."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [13]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: Canadian scientists have calculated that one human being should be [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Canadian scientists have calculated that one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite, while each year 16 buildings can be expected to sustain damage from such objects.

(A) one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite
(B) a human being should be struck by a meteorite once in every nine years
(C) a meteorite will strike one human being once in every nine years
(D) every nine years a human being will be struck by a meteorite
(E) every nine years a human being should be struck by a meteorite

I disagree with the OA. The OA is (D), and the explanation is: "What this sentence says is not what it logically intends. The verb should implies obligation; in this sentence, it indicates that one human being ought to be struck every nine years, as though that person somehow deserved it. The scientists clearly mean that a human being will be struck by a meteorite roughly every nine years." I understand this logic, but completely disagree with it. First of all, "should" does not necessarily imply obligation. It can also refer to something that is expected but not definite - "If the scientists are correct, this should happen." That's in the dictionary. Secondly, by changing it to "WILL be struck," you are changing the meaning of the sentence to state that the scientists know, without a doubt, that someone will be struck by a meteorite every nine years. However, the second part of the sentence, "while each year 16 buildings can be expected to sustain damage from such objects," makes it clear that the scientists do not KNOW that these are definite things, but rather that they are EXPECTED things. "Should" is the correct word to use. You could replace it with some other things, like "will probably" or "most likely will", but not just "will". That changes the inherent meaning to something more definite than actually intended.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I'm sorry to hammer this point, but I just wanted to reassert the fact that one of the definitions of "should" is exactly to express a probability or expectation. From Mirriam-Webster:

Definition of SHOULD
past of shall
—used in auxiliary function to express condition <if he should leave his father, his father would die — Gen 44:22(Revised Standard Version)>
—used in auxiliary function to express obligation, propriety, or expediency <'tis commanded I should do so — Shakespeare> <this is as it should be — H. L. Savage> <you should brush your teeth after each meal>
—used in auxiliary function to express futurity from a point of view in the past <realized that she should have to do most of her farm work before sunrise — Ellen Glasgow>
—used in auxiliary function to express what is probable or expected <with an early start, they should be here by noon>

—used in auxiliary function to express a request in a polite manner or to soften direct statement <I should suggest that a guide…is the first essential — L. D. Reddick>

From Oxford:

should (should)

Pronunciation:/SHo͝od/
modal verb (3rd sing. should

2. used to indicate what is probable

I'm not just making this up. The second half of the sentence suggests that the study isn't conclusive, but that the scientists EXPECT that something SHOULD happen, so why would the first half be different? That's how I read the sentence - "The scientists believe that x should happen and that y is expected to happen". Changing it to WILL happen changes the original meaning of the sentence - "The scientists KNOW that x will happen and that y MIGHT happen".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO - D

Canadian scientists have calculated that one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite, while each year sixteen buildings can be expected to sustain damage from such objects.

>> The non-underline portion (in while part) starts with each year .....so, for correct parallelism, we need noun of first part to be some year similar to second part. D & E only has correct noun parallel. However, in E, use of should is implying some moral ground, which is incorrect.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
It is doubtful whether 'will' always means a certainty. For example, take this case:
Seeing the binge with which Yellen is eager to go, analysts think that FED will raise the rate yet again as early as March this year.

Here, 'will' signifies more speculation or at the most some anticipation or expectation. 'Will' is often used for the futurity of the event rather than for the surety of the event.

The next point. 'Should' is often a kind of suggestion and in some cases even dreaming. For example. I think he should re-take GMAT again ASAP. Here this is a mere suggestion.
In another case, --- I feel that the erring politician should meet his waterloo this time for hobnobbing with anti-socials. -- here this is a wishful thinking.
Therefore, 'should' may not always point to compulsion as in the case of 'ought to' or 'must'

Canadian scientists have calculated that one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite, while each year 16 buildings can be expected to sustain damage from such objects.

let's drop A and C for using the unseemly One human being suggesting somewhat oddly that one same human being is struck by a meteorite every nine years once. Let's us eliminate B and E for the wrongful suggestion by using the inapt 'should. D remains
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Hi RonPurewal

Could I please request a clarification?

- Can "should" be used to convey probability?
- Can "will" be used to convey probability? Or, in this context "will" is used to convey certainty?

What does, in fact, separate D from E?

Best
RzS
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [8]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheRzS wrote:
Could I please request a clarification?

- Can "will" be used to convey probability? Or, in this context "will" is used to convey certainty?

What does, in fact, separate D from E?

Best
RzS

Hello TheRzS,

Since you have a couple of doubts, I would just like to add my two cents here. :-)

Quote:

The answer is no. The word should is used to present obligation.

Quote:

It is true that the helping verb will is generally used to present an action that is going to happen for sure. However, verb tenses are the trickiest part of the grammar. Their correct usage is completely governed by the context of the sentence.

Per the context of the sentence, it is easy to understand that the author wants to present probability. It is not that we see humans getting hit by a meteor as general occurrence. So yes, per the context of this official sentence, usage of will basically shows a calculation.

Now let's talk about the difference between Choices D and E.

(D) every nine years a human being will be struck by a meteorite: Correct: As explained, will has been used to present a calculation.

(E) every nine years a human being should be struck by a meteorite: Incorrect: Usage of should suggests that a person must for sure be struck by a meteorite as if it is the duty/obligation of a man to be struck by a meteorite.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
Send PM
GMATNinja Sir ,

Please throw some light here.

Not convinced with the OA
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM